HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Official Euro 2008 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Tricolore#20

vCash: 500
OT: Official Euro 2008 Thread

I know there was Euro 2008 discussion on the forum here a week or so ago. However, I'd like to make an official thread, since every 2 years, Montreal goes crazy over these tournaments. 2 years ago, Montreal went nuts over Italy's victory. Personally, I can't wait for this tournament, and it's my salvation from the lack of Canadiens' games.

The tournament kicks off in Switzerland on June 7. The full slate of games can be found here:

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tourname...hes/index.html

I know lots of Italy, Portugal and Greek supporters have already shared their opinions about who will win

The two sides I support internationally aside from Canada are England and the Czechs. No England means I will fully support Czech Republic. Their squad is thin this time around IMO, compared to the strong squads of Euro 2004 and World Cup 06 (although the WC team underachieved greatly). The Czechs are missing their talismanic captain Tomas Rosicky, who provided great attacking options from the midfield. Pavel Nedved, who just recently re-signed with Juventus yesterday for one more season, retired from the national squad in 2006 following the World Cup. When Rosicky confirmed he wouldn't play, a lot of the Czech players urged Nedved to return, but he ultimately chose not too. Not having Rosicky or Nedved hurts, as I don't really see an offensive wizard in the midfield, a classic feature in prior Czech squads.

Historically, I think the Czechs have done well in these competitions. Many of their top players don't play in the most publicized leagues in the world, and are thus underrated. We saw it at Euro 96, and we saw it at the U20 competition last year, here in Canada. I think while the Czechs don't have the big names like the last two competitions, they will have players that will emerge. Martin Fenin is a good candidate, and hopefully he can replace the aging Jan Koller and underachiever Milan Baros, as Czech Republic's goal scorer.

As for who I take in the tournament, I'll go with Germany. Watch out for Mario Gomes. The Stuttgart man is a terrific young player, and will leave him imprint on this tournament. The team that I hope does well is Croatia. While they ultimately ousted England in qualifying, I like their squad and their manager, Bilic (pretty cool dude, plays in a rock band!). Missing a young player like Eduardo hurts, but they have quality players throughout their squad. I love their jerseys, and hope to see lots of it in the streets this summer!

Old
05-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Julian2890

vCash: 480
Montreal went crazy?

omg that day, i remember it like it was yesterday!!
haha soooooooooo sweet.
if Italy wins and you wanna celebrate, forget liltle italy, the action is in RDP.

Old
05-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2890 View Post
Montreal went crazy?

omg that day, i remember it like it was yesterday!!
haha soooooooooo sweet.
if Italy wins and you wanna celebrate, forget liltle italy, the action is in RDP.
I was in little Italy area in 2006 after they had won, and it was nuts. It was like the Habs had won the Cup. I still remember the Molson Export ad that showed the Italians going crazy on the streets, and then there was a car full of Habs fans in the middle of it!

If you can't be at the tournament itself, I can't think of better places in the world than Montreal or Toronto, to experience the tournament. It seems like every community gets involved, and generates a great atmosphere. The restaurants are packed, neighbouring communities become friendly rivals, and people are genuinely happy. Probably the best month of the year IMO.

Old
05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Deutschland has some major questions in net but the combination of a deep and talented group of strikers, the best central mid in the world and a very athletic defense is enough for me to consider them favorites.

Old
05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I might watch some games even tho I'm not a soccer fan.

But I have a hard time watching 90mins of soccer esp when most times theres only 1 or 2 goals.

Old
05-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Kachino

Força Portugal with the deadliest wingers ... C. Ronaldo, Nani and Quaresma...

Old
05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
Força Portugal with the deadliest wingers ... C. Ronaldo, Nani and Quaresma...
I like their chances too, giving those attacking options. In the past few tournaments, Portugal has played a lone-striker formation with Pauleta playing as the striker. However, since 2006, it seems like Ronaldo has grown exponentially as a player and that will help their attack. We have seen what he has done with Manchester United, who really lack a genuine striker (in the mold of a van Nistelrooy or Andy Cole) but are dominant regardless. Ronaldo's goal scoring rate was terrific this year, and he is almost like an Alexander Ovechkin in the sense that he can turn the game with a single run. Deco is a fantastic distributor as well, so it should be a very good midfield.

It's funny how Portugal's so-called golden generation featured guys like Figo, Rui Costa, Victor Baia and Xavier, and they were expected to win tournament upon tournament. Yet, for the most part, they were disappointing. However, this crop of Portugal players really seems like a golden generation, and I think they are definitely poised to do great things. They had a great run in the last two tournaments, and with maturity, they are primed to do it soon.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:13 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Go France!

Old
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Ronaldo's goal scoring rate was terrific this year, and he is almost like an Alexander Ovechkin in the sense that he can turn the game with a single run.
Except that his personality is more of a Crosbaby-Jokinen hybrid.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
ThaDevilGirl

FORCA PORTUGAL!

Two years ago I went partying in Little Portugal after they won against Holland when both Costinha and Deco got red cards. Crazy stuff.

Old
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

GO PORTUGAL GO!!! I'll be wearing one of my two Portugal shirts on every game day that's for sure

Hipietro

Forca Portugal!!!!

Old
05-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Forca Portugal!!!

Anyone in the states know how this can be ordered on TV?

Old
05-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Allez les bleus!!!

Old
05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Forca Portugal!!!

I think you can watch it live online on the official website. I did that the last time around.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
FORCA PORTUGAL!

Two years ago I went partying in Little Portugal after they won against Holland when both Costinha and Deco got red cards. Crazy stuff.
I was in Lisbon for World Cup 2006... IIRC, 9 yellow cards and 2 red cards. IIRC, Deco got his first yellow card after kicking the ball away after a free kick was awarded to the Netherlands. His 2nd yellow card was awarded when he went after and tackle a guy on the Dutch squad when the Dutch didn't give Portugal the ball back after Portugal put the ball out of bounds because of an injury to the Dutch side. Honestly, it was the most nail-bitting and frustrating game that I have ever watched! Total euphoria in the city when Maniche scored the opener with a booming shot. Robin Van Persie played spectacular during that game. Everytime he touched the ball, he was able to create something (awesome ball dribbling skills). When Cocu hit the crossbar, my heart almost stopped. I was pretty surprised that Ruud van Nistelrooydidn't play that game.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Greek repeat. Yeah thats right.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Forca Portugal!!!

Every game will be shown on one of the ESPN Networks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/esp...ic=ESPN_EURO08

Old
05-15-2008, 08:41 PM
SpreeEndaz

So many individuals cheering for Portugal here, so sad.

Personally, I can't help but cheer for Sweden even if they will crash and burn.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

POLSKA POLSKA POLSKA

Old
05-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Charley_5054

Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Go France!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Allez les bleus!!!
Good to see i'm not alone

Allez la France !!!!!

I'll miss zidane

Old
05-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post

I know there was Euro 2008 discussion on the forum here a week or so ago. However, I'd like to make an official thread, since every 2 years, Montreal goes crazy over these tournaments. 2 years ago, Montreal went nuts over Italy's victory. Personally, I can't wait for this tournament, and it's my salvation from the lack of Canadiens' games.

The tournament kicks off in Switzerland on June 7. The full slate of games can be found here:

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tourname...hes/index.html

I know lots of Italy, Portugal and Greek supporters have already shared their opinions about who will win

The two sides I support internationally aside from Canada are England and the Czechs. No England means I will fully support Czech Republic. Their squad is thin this time around IMO, compared to the strong squads of Euro 2004 and World Cup 06 (although the WC team underachieved greatly). The Czechs are missing their talismanic captain Tomas Rosicky, who provided great attacking options from the midfield. Pavel Nedved, who just recently re-signed with Juventus yesterday for one more season, retired from the national squad in 2006 following the World Cup. When Rosicky confirmed he wouldn't play, a lot of the Czech players urged Nedved to return, but he ultimately chose not too. Not having Rosicky or Nedved hurts, as I don't really see an offensive wizard in the midfield, a classic feature in prior Czech squads.

Historically, I think the Czechs have done well in these competitions. Many of their top players don't play in the most publicized leagues in the world, and are thus underrated. We saw it at Euro 96, and we saw it at the U20 competition last year, here in Canada. I think while the Czechs don't have the big names like the last two competitions, they will have players that will emerge. Martin Fenin is a good candidate, and hopefully he can replace the aging Jan Koller and underachiever Milan Baros, as Czech Republic's goal scorer.

As for who I take in the tournament, I'll go with Germany. Watch out for Mario Gomes. The Stuttgart man is a terrific young player, and will leave him imprint on this tournament. The team that I hope does well is Croatia. While they ultimately ousted England in qualifying, I like their squad and their manager, Bilic (pretty cool dude, plays in a rock band!). Missing a young player like Eduardo hurts, but they have quality players throughout their squad. I love their jerseys, and hope to see lots of it in the streets this summer!
Dude you got a pretty cool avatar there I was wondering if you could do me one of Ebi Smolarek if its not to much to ask if you dont have time or dont want to thats fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50183_1195332673_7033_p.jpg‎ (54.2 KB, 9 views)

Old
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
HUP HOLLAND HUP!

Old
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley_5054 View Post
Good to see i'm not alone

Allez la France !!!!!

I'll miss zidane
You'll love Nasri, Ben Arfa, Benzema ...

Old
05-15-2008, 09:02 PM
marcolino

Via Azzurri !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Materrazzi For The Killl

Closed Thread