HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
why? If he has the talent, the size, the willingness to get his nose dirty (which he has), and the skating, I don't see why it should be a problem. He can always modify his style if needed.
One thing I know for certain from being around the game of hockey for many decades is....

Either you have that intense level of drive, passion and competitiveness or you don't. That warrior mentality is not something that can be coached or practiced.

Old
05-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
One thing I know for certain from being around the game of hockey for many decades is....

Either you have that intense level of drive, passion and competitiveness or you don't. That warrior mentality is not something that can be coached or practiced.
Yes, you're absolutely right. However, the guy is playing in the AJHL, thus we can't tell how he'll react or if he'll have to modify his play at the next level. But one thing is sure with Colborne. In the playoffs, with two separated shoulders, I still saw him throw 2 hits which tells a lot.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:18 PM
thehabsvolta

Quote:
Yes, you're absolutely right. However, the guy is playing in the AJHL, thus we can't tell how he'll react or if he'll have to modify his play at the next level. But one thing is sure with Colborne. In the playoffs, with two separated shoulders, I still saw him throw 2 hits which tells a lot.
Chomsky...you seem like you know a lot about the draft and such and you have really good posts...so I was just wondering what chance you think there will be for colborne to drop to the 25th pick.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:44 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
I love what I saw from Colborne at last years world juniors . But all the reports about him being "soft" would make me think twice about picking him.
It was the U-18's, I can only imagine that he will get a good looksie for the next two WJC teams.

He is not a physical player for a guy 6'4" and 195 lbs, more a tall finesse player. That being said, he does not shy away from in front of the net or along the walls. He just does not go out of his way to run a guy or make a big check. He is thinking about the puck, both when he has it and doesn't have it.

His upside is much harder to predict given he is playing against Junior A guys every night. There are more and more guys like that every draft now as more Canadian kids with NCAA aspirations are taking the Junior A route.

That being said, he has skills galore.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehabsvolta View Post
Chomsky...you seem like you know a lot about the draft and such and you have really good posts...so I was just wondering what chance you think there will be for colborne to drop to the 25th pick.
I don't know much, I just keep myself up to date. I wish I could watch as much hockey as guys like WS or Soldat P or Montreal.

As of your question.. I just don't know. There are way too many variables to be taken into account. You are looking at a 6'5 centre with pretty good potential and who can skate very well for his size, but you are also looking at a player competing in the AJHL and whose dad declared 90M in income last year..

Thus, the last two points might scare a bunch of scouts and teams as they have had bad experiences or heard about them... but the rest of the scouts and teams might be willing to take a risk. That is, depending upon where they are drafting.

As of now, we own the 25th pick as you said, so if I was to estimate our chances, I'd say 15%.

Last edited by Chomsky: 05-15-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old
05-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Colborne has good chance to drop to 25th spot, I even think he could go as far as early to middle 2nd round. I don't know why, but I feel like he's another Eric Chouinard... good size, good skill kid, but not very physical nor very intense...

Myself, I would trade our 1st for an early 2nd (or 2, if we get a team that has them) and an early 3rd, cause I think there's some very interesting players in the 2nd round. Paquette, of course, I want, like I wanted Lucic in 2006. We just need that kind of player... There's also James Livingston, Viktor Tikhonov, David Ullstrom, AJ Jenks (unless he's another Andre Deveaux...) and Eric O'Dell that are of interest for me...

Old
05-15-2008, 11:37 PM
thehabsvolta

Quote:
I don't know much, I just keep myself up to date. I wish I could watch as much hockey as guys like WS or Soldat P or Montreal.

As of your question.. I just don't know. There are way too many variables to be taken into account. You are looking at a 6'5 centre with pretty good potential and who can skate very well for his size, but you are also looking at a player competing in the AJHL and whose dad declared 90M in income last year..

Thus, the last two points might scare a bunch of scouts and teams as they have had bad experiences or heard about them... but the rest of the scouts and teams might be willing to take a risk. That is, depending upon where they are drafting.

As of now, we own the 25th pick as you said, so if I was to estimate our chances, I'd say 15%.
Very interesting...thanks a lot man. God I cant wait for the draft!!

Old
05-15-2008, 11:40 PM
giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Colborne has good chance to drop to 25th spot, I even think he could go as far as early to middle 2nd round. I don't know why, but I feel like he's another Eric Chouinard... good size, good skill kid, but not very physical nor very intense...

Myself, I would trade our 1st for an early 2nd (or 2, if we get a team that has them) and an early 3rd, cause I think there's some very interesting players in the 2nd round. Paquette, of course, I want, like I wanted Lucic in 2006. We just need that kind of player... There's also James Livingston, Viktor Tikhonov, David Ullstrom, AJ Jenks (unless he's another Andre Deveaux...) and Eric O'Dell that are of interest for me...
I strongly believe that the habs are going to take either Corey Trivino or Zac Dalpe with their 25 pick. They are both skilled centers that we need and i believe they will fit in our syetem very well. we will see.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni View Post
I strongly believe that the habs are going to take either Corey Trivino or Zac Dalpe with their 25 pick. They are both skilled centers that we need and i believe they will fit in our syetem very well. we will see.
I disagree. I think Timmins will take Jokinen before either Trivino or Dalpe, simply 'cause he's a better player.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:49 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

A poster earlier had david ullstrom as potential 2nd/3rd pick. I just have a feeling the wings are going to draft him and become the next holmstrom or frahzen! Big kid 6"3 198 rated 17th by css...maybe we should think about him as a 2nd/3rd/4th rd pick

Old
05-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
A poster earlier had david ullstrom as potential 2nd/3rd pick. I just have a feeling the wings are going to draft him and become the next holmstrom or frahzen! Big kid 6"3 198 rated 17th by css...maybe we should think about him as a 2nd/3rd/4th rd pick
For European skaters right?

Old
05-16-2008, 12:00 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Yep euro skater, was eligible last year but didnt got drafted. I think moncton drafted him in the import draft last year...

Old
05-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
I disagree. I think Timmins will take Jokinen before either Trivino or Dalpe, simply 'cause he's a better player.
I would be fine with either of those players...but I have to say that I have a really good feeling about Dalpe...

In order, I would say Dalpe, Jokinen and Trivino

Old
05-16-2008, 02:52 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Jokinen, Jokinen, Jokinen!!!

Old
05-16-2008, 08:02 AM
shayne

upcoming draft

i expect to pick the best player available but having said that, sometimes teams pick players while they were scouting others, i think players like goalie chet pickard( Price's back up and 2nd ranked N/A goalie) is someone that they will look at in the second rd, defenseman Lalonde from the Belleville Bulls( memorial cup team and teammate of PK subban), i am sure their are others out of the US program( habs have of course McDonough, pacioretty and fisher)

i would like to see a centre with skating and size in the first rd and a banging winger in the second rd personally , we have tremendous depth at defense(Mcdonough, weber, subban,fisher, carle) but only pacioretty expected to be an impact forward although guys like d'agostini and stewart as well as maxwell and white could make the club over the next few years.

i hope to get a guy like Kyle Beach(likely gone by our pick unless we move up), Colin wilson, greg nemizs or the huge joe colbourne

second rd maybe guys like shawn lalonde on d, james wright, jared staal or adam luke

i want my rj umberger, johan franzen, ryan getzlaf, mike richards, scott upshall late first rd pick or beyond that justs works works works for every inch of the ice, i want my brendan morrow but 3" taller

i love our euro skill but we need a guy like kyle beach to add to max pacioretty

after reading abit more, look for jokinen in the second rd

Old
05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
WestIslander

Don't be surprised if Timmins picks Chet Pickard with a second round draft pick, that way he can play in Hamilton for a few seasons and become Price's backup sooner than later with the Habs and Halak can be sent packing for a prospect or NHL ready playoff addition in a year or two.

I really want Kyle Beach because he is exactly what we need, but I think he will be taken in the top 10 and I don't see Gainey moving up in the draft.

With the 25th pick (overall), we can land a Joe Colborne, Evgeny Grachev, Zac Dalpe or Anton Gustafsson.

I really want to see the last Staal in a Habs jersey, as much as I would prefer Jordan (Pittsburgh) or Eric (Carolina) the last one (Jared) would do and I think he will be another excellent NHL player like his brothers.

Old
05-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Artie

I like what I've read and heard about Dalpe. At the 25th spot There is a very good chance that one of these should be available: Deschamps, Nemisz, Dalpe or Colbourne.

I wouldn't mind trading down to try and pick up an extra 2nd round pick (mid round)
I think Jokinen, Adam, O'Dell and Paquette as possibilities are all interetsting.

Old
05-16-2008, 09:18 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

By the way, justin jokinen is prononced joke-inen not yokinen like olli and jussi are.

Old
05-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
By the way, justin jokinen is prononced joke-inen not yokinen like olli and jussi are.

IT'S A JOKE

Old
05-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Don't be surprised if Timmins picks Chet Pickard with a second round draft pick, that way he can play in Hamilton for a few seasons and become Price's backup sooner than later with the Habs and Halak can be sent packing for a prospect or NHL ready playoff addition in a year or two.
It would (at this time) constitute something of a big surprise if Pickard was available with our 2nd rounder. But there _will_ be lots of decent goaltending prospects around, and I have to expect the Habs will draft one at some point.

Old
05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Timmins can probably find a future #1 goalie in the 6th or 7th round, no need to waste a pick in the top 2 rounds on one

Old
05-16-2008, 10:27 AM
WestIslander

Well it depends, I would say that you can get a franchise type goalie in the top three rounds and then after that it's luck (a la Halak).

Old
05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
RC51

Well, Habs need centers. Centers can always move to wing.
I would NOT touch euro players right now. The Russians are now willing to pay bigger bucks to land better players so I would take the best available CA or USA center I could get my hands on.
Last year the habs focused on d-men this year it should be centers as in 3-4 centers.

Old
05-16-2008, 10:49 AM
WestIslander

I can see them pick up another Max Pacioretty.

Old
05-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
My ideal scenario as of today
1- Trade down our 1st round pick for a early 2nd and a early 3rd

With the traded 2nd round pick:
Justin Jokinen

With our 2nd round pick: One of
James Wright/James Livingston/ Philip McRae/ Geordie Wudrick/Eric O'Dell/Josh Brittain

With the traded 3rd round pick: One of
Patrice Cormier/ Luke Adams/Danick Paquette

With our 3rd round pick: One of
Jake Allen/ Kevin Poulin/ Peter Delmas

Closed Thread