HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Kypreos - Tucker to be bought out

Old
05-15-2008, 03:39 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
Yeah, cuz the Leafs absolutely suck and wont be contenders or playoff performers for years and years to come. By that time Tucks wont be around for the cup haul, which I laugh at cuz the Leafs cant seemingly ever do such a thing anyway.
So why not clear some space and just go with their youth and some new blood with a new regime.

Tucker here though would be well needed. He can still pot you 20 goals easy and put up about 45 to 55 points. Not only that, but the Habs showed with a lot of their players they dont like to go in the corners or go in first anyway when they hear the train coming behind them. Tucker has no fear or qualms about such a thing, and he'll go right in there. He'll also do what he is paid to do and blast some guys, which people like Lapierre dont ever seem to do, despite their fresh legs and youth.

Yes to Darcy Tucker.
I'm surprised you feel that way.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Despite my admiration for the player, I can tell you when they wouldnt fit with the Habs. This just isnt one of those times. Dude is still 32-33. He's got some mileage left.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:16 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Hell no never in a million years would I want him in Montreal.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Miller Time

if we fail to land a top notch RW (hossa/selanne/Jagr), I'd be pretty happy getting Tucker.

The guy plays with a ton of passion/grit, and after the struggles he had last year/being bought out (assuming it happens), I could see him coming into the season with an extra chip on his shoulder and something to prove.

as long as there wasn't too much bad blood left over between him and kovy, I think he'd be a good fit for us.

Pay him 2-2.5m/per on a 1-2 year deal, and let him add a little fire to our third line.

Kost-Pleks-Kovy
Higgins-Koivu-Kost jr
Tucker-Chipchura-Lats
Begin-Lapierre-Kosto

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:41 PM
BLONG7

He seems to have slowed a bit, maybe getting banged up too much for a small frame...not sure if I would want to see him back in Montreal? We should probably develop one of young guys in a Tucker type mold...if Tender had half of Tucker's heart, he could be useful...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:55 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
Despite my admiration for the player, I can tell you when they wouldnt fit with the Habs. This just isnt one of those times. Dude is still 32-33. He's got some mileage left.
I don't think his age relates to the mileage that closely, as he's been abused over the years. I'm not really a fan of the guy but I recognize that he's been of value. I just wonder if he'd buy into a secondary role ?
If you join a new team, hoping to re-establish or re-invent what wil be the downside of your career, you have to realize that it's not all about you. If they need a shot off the crease on the pp, fine, but accept it if you aren't the first option. IF you play a few games on a top line, shut up if you get sent down the chain to make room for a 21 year old who doesn't know his way around the league.

Can Tucker buy into that ?

Old
05-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't think his age relates to the mileage that closely, as he's been abused over the years. I'm not really a fan of the guy but I recognize that he's been of value. I just wonder if he'd buy into a secondary role ?
If you join a new team, hoping to re-establish or re-invent what wil be the downside of your career, you have to realize that it's not all about you. If they need a shot off the crease on the pp, fine, but accept it if you aren't the first option. IF you play a few games on a top line, shut up if you get sent down the chain to make room for a 21 year old who doesn't know his way around the league.

Can Tucker buy into that ?
Well the Leafs essentially replaced him on the PP (with the one-timer play) and you didn't hear peep out of him - mind you he was hurt a lot this year.

Anyway, I hate playing against the guy, but I do think he has the character that we need.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 07:44 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Well the Leafs essentially replaced him on the PP (with the one-timer play) and you didn't hear peep out of him - mind you he was hurt a lot this year.

Anyway, I hate playing against the guy, but I do think he has the character that we need.
He filled the off wing trigger guy role, moreso in 06-07, didn't he ? Mtl seems to work the puck from the right side though, whether it's koivu or Kovalev. The one thing I remember about Tucker going back to his Mtl days is you don't want the puck on his stick in open ice, he can't do much off the rush. Who knows, he could be useful playing with a Grabovski, who needs the puck or a Chipchura who likes to keep the puck low and work off the boards.

No matter what you think of the guy, it's more a questuion as to what he has left, and whether he's worth the gamble if he doesn't get much icetime.

Old
05-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Capitano

Quote:
He filled the off wing trigger guy role, moreso in 06-07, didn't he ? Mtl seems to work the puck from the right side though, whether it's koivu or Kovalev. The one thing I remember about Tucker going back to his Mtl days is you don't want the puck on his stick in open ice, he can't do much off the rush. Who knows, he could be useful playing with a Grabovski, who needs the puck or a Chipchura who likes to keep the puck low and work off the boards.

No matter what you think of the guy, it's more a questuion as to what he has left, and whether he's worth the gamble if he doesn't get much icetime.
As a 3rd line guy, he's better than anything we've got, and he's got decent enough skill to fill in on a top 6 role if the need should arise.

It's not his skills with the puck that impresses me though, it's his never-say-die attitude. He's like Begin, but smarter because he doesn't take penalties at bad times, and he's a little more gifted offensively.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The Leafs would be dumb to buy him out. His contract is by no means out of line with what he brings on the ice. Why take a million dollar cap hit for the next 6 years and then just have to find a way to replace that spot on the roster? You aren't going to find somebody better than Tucker for $2M.

That said, I'd take him on the Habs if he did get bought out and was reasonably affordable. We need grit. Ideally it would come with more size and less age, but you can't have everything. I don't think he'd necessarily be "reasonably affordable" if he did hit the open market, however. Some other team out there would probably be ready to pay him just as much as the Leafs are paying him now. And he'd be free to pick and choose, maybe take a little less to find the place that suits him best, be it geographically or for contention reasons, so with $6M of buyout money in his pocket, the contract details might not be the most important part of it to him, and the Habs probably wouldn't seem to be the best fit (just guessing).

So I don't think it's going to be a realistic option for us either way.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 08:47 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
No interest. Period.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
FerrisRox

Definitely not.

First of all, simply look at his playoff numbers.

They are terrible. Bordering on embarrassing. His *best* playoff saw him put up 8 points. EIGHT!

Since the turn of the century, he's managed eight playoff goals. That's a goal a year since then. Why would you want to bring a guy like that onto your team?

Then look at his track record. His Junior career is outstanding, but he's never been able to transfer that to the NHL.

Every time in his career that his he's played in big games, he's been unable to contain his emotions. He's never been a guy that can channel his intensity into his game to help him. Instead, he spends big games playing a reckless, selfish style. All you have to do is ride Tucker into the boards hard early in a game and he will spend the rest of the game trying to get his revenge. He'll abandon his defensive assignments to run guys, froth at the mouth, scream at referees and rant and rave and take a series of selfish, self-serving penalties. He completely loses his cool, makes questionable, iffy plays in terms of cheap shots, and is totally unable to focus on the gameplan.

There is no way in hell I would want this guy on my team.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:17 PM
znk

He should never have been traded away. I would definetly take him for 4th line duty at bellow 1 mil.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
The problem is : With what ?

Other than Tlusty and their upcoming draft pick (7th overall i think) they don't have much in their pipeline. I think they won't be able to do a true rebuild unless they tank for a few years a la Pittsburgh. They could always go the UFA route but they tried that before and it failed miserably.
Which is why Ii don't understand these unnecessary salary dumps. Gill? Why? There's no prospects he's taking ice time from, and the return was nothing for a guy signed reasonably for another year.

It's the same with Tucker. Freeing up a tiny bit of cap room to sign more useless UFAs? Awesome.

(Note: I feel the same way about the theory of buying Dandenault out as well. Just let him play the final year of his contract)

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

We don't need anymore small players, regardless of how "big" they play.

Well, maybe I'd take Theo Fleury, the ultimate small-big-guy

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Definitely not.

First of all, simply look at his playoff numbers.
To be fair, he's a Leaf. He hasn't seen the postseason since the dead puck era.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Sthabs

We have Begin, no thank you

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
If he could be reliable defensively against good players while being used on a 3rd line, I'd say , sure why not, but I don't think he can anymore, can he ?
I dont think so either

He also tamed down a bit last season. He wasn't starting as many "brouhahas" as he used to. As annoying as that was, it actually helped make him a useful hockey player.

Also, his overall physical health has to be questioned now....

bottom line, too much risk and not enough reward from a habs point of view.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
There's a reason why he's being bought out.
He's not being bought out, why would the Leafs buy him out when he was asked to waive his no trade?

Fletcher said he would not ask unless a deal was on the table, therefore there are suitors out there. He had a bad first half and almost got to 20 again when he healed up towards the middle of the year

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Lucius

He's not as bad as the Leafs are making him out to be, but the contract is absurd.

At 2-3 million a season for a year or two as our 3rd line winger, he'd be great. I hate to say it, but he be a huge upgrade over Kosto or Begin.

That said, I doubt he signs for that little. Someone will accept last year as an aberration and given him more responsibility, money and term.

Plus, if we did take him, last year's numbers are about all we could ever expect. Like Bonk, we'd be turning him into a bottom 6 guy, which say what you will about the Leafs, he was not in Toronto. He won't get the PP time, for example and all those sweet feeds from Sundin.

He'll struggle to put up points, but I think he'd crank in more than Kosto and Begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
We have Begin, no thank you
I hate Tucker as much as the next guy, and I really like Begin, but seriously that's being an insane homer if you even attempt to argue that Begin is the better player. A season that may get the man bought out is lightyears a head of anything Begin ever produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
He's not being bought out, why would the Leafs buy him out when he was asked to waive his no trade?

Fletcher said he would not ask unless a deal was on the table, therefore there are suitors out there. He had a bad first half and almost got to 20 again when he healed up towards the middle of the year
It's possible they'll deal him, but if they fail, buying him out is the logical backup plan based on what they've said. Honestly, I'd just keep him for a year, it's not like you're going to win the cup next year and need the upgrade, nor are there prospects he's standing in the way of. He could be shifted down to the 4th line and make the cap hit much less if you buy him out the year after.

That all said, the pressure is on and I expect you guys move/release him.

There may be deals on the table, but who knows, they could be the "give us something good for a 5th round pick and we'll take his contract" type.

Last edited by Lucius: 05-17-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 10:22 AM
TheTriad

Tucker signed a new contract last summer.....he has THREE years left at 3 mil.

Kypreos makes no sense.... he's never recovered from his last KO.........

TheTriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 10:22 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
To be fair, he's a Leaf. He hasn't seen the postseason since the dead puck era.
It doesn't change the fact that his post-season's are best known for stupid, costly penalties and cheap shots, not for leadership and points.

When you think Darcy Tucker in the playoffs, you think of his cheap, dangerous low-bridge hit on Mike Peca.

The guy simply doesn't produce when it matters and is a very selfish player in terms of penalties.

He absorbs a legal hit, then spends the rest of the game trying to even the score, even if that means abandoning his defensive responsibilities, leaving his wing, etc.

There's no room on this team for a player as selfish and as out of control as Darcy Tucker is.

I believe he could have been a solid playoff performer, but for many years, under Pat Quinn, the Maple Leaf players played with no accountability. Selfish penalites were never punished on that team. Instead, Quinn would rail against the referees. Post game press conferences were always about how the refs had screwed the Leafs when it was obvious he had several players making stupid undisciplined plays. I think Tucker started to believe his coach, instead, Quinn should have nailed his ass to the bench and explained that the team came first and personal agenda a distant distant second.

But none of that explains away how he simply stops scoring in the crunch.

I don't want this guy anywhere near the team.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTriad View Post
Tucker signed a new contract last summer.....he has THREE years left at 3 mil.

Kypreos makes no sense.... he's never recovered from his last KO.........
To be fair, he is reporting on the Leafs. Logic historically is not a great factor there.

Old
05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Habs13

ANY player that gets bought out by the Laughs, is not going to be a match on any other NHL team. Hang 'em up, ol' timer.

Habs13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
ANY player that gets bought out by the Laughs, is not going to be a match on any other NHL team. Hang 'em up, ol' timer.
See that's short sighted.

Tucker is being talked about not because he is a useless player, but because he's overpaid. Pre-cap or if he had a reasonable contract, this wouldn't even be discussed.