HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCabe would approve of a trade to the Rangers

Old
05-16-2008, 10:11 AM
coolbean04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I wouldn't want to take the 3 year, $5.75 cap hit if I was signing him as a free agent. No way do I want to give up anything of value for the privilege.
That's what I'm talking about.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:12 AM
bcrt2000

McCabe played his best hockey with Leetch. Leetch is probably the reason why he got a huge contract.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:23 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway23 View Post
Honestly, and maybe this is just me, but I wouldn't flip McCabe to the Rangers unless I got Staal in return.
It is just you

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Right now the Leafs might think about Staal and another roster player from the Rangers...not sure who else though.
lol.. Have you seen Staal play? NY Rangers will not move Staal for McCabe.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
McCabe played his best hockey with Kaberle. Kaberle is probably the reason why he got a huge contract.
Fixed.

I will say this, McCabe doesnt get the praise he deserves. He is a very good defensemen, but when he makes the odd mistake, thats all Leaf fans remember. He didnt get off to good start last year, but the final 3/4s of the season, he was stellar.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Melrose_Jr.

The Ranger already have blueliners with defensive shortcomings that COULD play the point on the PP. Unfortunately, the NYR PP isn't designed to work from the blueline in, so their best assets are wasted, as would be McCabe's.

I'll stick with Backman.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Fixed.

I will say this, McCabe doesnt get the praise he deserves. He is a very good defensemen, but when he makes the odd mistake, thats all Leaf fans remember. He didnt get off to good start last year, but the final 3/4s of the season, he was stellar.
Then it would be much easier for him in NY!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:52 AM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Quote:
Honestly, and maybe this is just me, but I wouldn't flip McCabe to the Rangers unless I got Staal in return.
Whether it's just you or not, there's no way in hell Sather or anyone else who watches hockey pulls the trigger on that trade so I'm pretty sure you're going to have to lower your asking price especially considering McCabe is the one who wants out so the Leafs are already on the wrong end of the bargaining table.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:00 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Fixed.

I live in Toronto, I've watched them a lot. McCabe is streaky. He was in a huge funk early on this season, but when he came back from injury he was playing well. But I don't think he was a better 2-way player than when Leetch came over and they were the top pairing. Of course, they didn't play together long enough to say that McCabe would have consistently been good with Leetch, but in those 25 games or so, they had great Chemistry.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I got this from the Devils board, who got it from the Leafs board. So thanks to the Devils and the Leafs.

When MLSE President Richard Peddie fired John Ferguson Jr. he told people in the organization that he will get a superstar to fill the position. Outside of Brian Burke and Lou Lamoriello I really canít think of any. Burkeís superstar status took a slight dive after his recent first round exit.

Peddie has failed at his attempt to get Detroit GM Ken Holland and his right hand man Jim Nill when Red Wings Ownership denied Torontoís request to speak with them last year.

Iím hearing Detroit is back on the radar, only this time itís Hall of Famer Steve Yzerman the Leafs are after.

Speaking of the Leafs why would they buy out Darcy Tucker? It makes no sense. The Biggest mistake the Leafs made was notifying Tuckerís people that they are considering a buyout. If thatís the case why in the world would Tucker accept a trade? I think he would gladly accept a buyout check for around $6 million and then become a free agent. There are at least 7-8 teams who would gladly sign Tucker to a $3 million dollar a year contract this summer. I didnít even mention if they buy him out Tucker would remain a cap hit for the next six years.

Same goes with Bryan McCabe who is owed 4.1 million each of the next two years even though his cap hit is around 5.7 million. There is a major false conception that McCabe would only accept a trade to the Islanders. I hear his only demand is to stay in the East. He would accept a trade to the Rangers, Devils, Flyers, possibly even Atlanta who had serious interest in him last season.

What do you guys think?
5.7 is too much money for the guy.
you spend 7 and trade for Kaberle or get Campbell.
at half the price he'd be worth the gamble, but I wouldn't be prepared to gamble
the future of the franchise on this guy.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
NYR Viper

if he costs 5.7, i would rather get redden as i think he is the better all around defenceman

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

F Mccabe.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:08 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The Ranger already have blueliners with defensive shortcomings that COULD play the point on the PP. Unfortunately, the NYR PP isn't designed to work from the blueline in, so their best assets are wasted, as would be McCabe's.

I'll stick with Backman

Me too, All this hatred for Backman is unwarrented, he is young with alot of talent & a huge upside, everyone hates this kid because of his contract, if he was making $750k a year everyone wouldn't be complaining.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
only in NHL 08 would bryan mccabe get you marc staal, you have to be crazy if you think that a guy that has been hated by his own fans for years and even has a website dedicated to how bad he is would get you one of the league's most promising d-men.

This is not to say he's worth Staal, not getting into that.

But we ran Larry Murphy out of town 10 years ago. Hell, we paid part of his salary for Detroit to take him away. Reactionary fans aren't the best way to judge a players on ice ability.

Speaking of that website, Jeffler (one of our (ex) posters) made that site.. he renounces it.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:41 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
If the price was right (and 5.7 is WRONG) I think McCabe would be great to have on the blueline. If you guys remember, we recently took another team's albatross (Avery) and it worked out quite well for us. The Rangers organization does a real good job of welcoming new players to the team and I think McCabe would bounce back in NY. It'll be a relief for him not to have the Toronto media riding his back all the time and he'd find himself on a competitive team again.

We've got a pretty young blue line for the next few years and I really think that someone like McCabe has a lot of wisdom to impart to our young D men. Dubinsky's learned a ton from Jagr and it would be good to have a solid veteran for Staal, Tyutin, Girardi, Sanguinetti, etc.

That said, 5.7 is ridiculous. At 5.7, Toronto can give US a draft pick.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
If the price was right (and 5.7 is WRONG) I think McCabe would be great to have on the blueline. If you guys remember, we recently took another team's albatross (Avery) and it worked out quite well for us. The Rangers organization does a real good job of welcoming new players to the team and I think McCabe would bounce back in NY. It'll be a relief for him not to have the Toronto media riding his back all the time and he'd find himself on a competitive team again.

We've got a pretty young blue line for the next few years and I really think that someone like McCabe has a lot of wisdom to impart to our young D men. Dubinsky's learned a ton from Jagr and it would be good to have a solid veteran for Staal, Tyutin, Girardi, Sanguinetti, etc.

That said, 5.7 is ridiculous. At 5.7, Toronto can give US a draft pick.
No way they'll give us a pick, unless its a 3rd or 4th. They're trying to acquire picks, not give them away. I'd want Steen coming back.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
wow the one thing the rangers havent had here since for who knows how long a guy who can acctually shoot the puck from the point on the powerplay and this guy can help us extremely....plus open up our powerplay so much more then ever before......the past couple season our point was left wide open because teams didnt fear our option at the point...this will open up guys in the slot for guys like shanny(if he is back) or even a guy like prucha in the slot.....and please people need to stop offering prucha in deals like he is just a throw in....he still has great value and need to get more time on the powerplay to get his game back....all in all if mccabe can come at a decent price its a no brainer to get him

BrianLeetch2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Kendo

Once a page in this thread, someone has mentioned a preference for Kubina. I don't think it has been said yet on this page...

I'd rather have Kubina.

He would cost less assets to acquire, at a lower cap hit, for one less year.

I've only watched him a few games a season, so I could be wrong, but he could be the big, right-handed, 2-way veteran that can eat minutes and replace Rozsival next to Staal.

Am I crazy to think Kubi's better than Rozsie? And better for us than McCabe?

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bryan McCabe is overpriced garbage.Anyone advocating the Rangers making a deal for McCabe needs to get their head checked out.We discussed this topic three months ago and the Rangers weren't interested.Nothing has changed.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:48 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bryan McCabe is overpriced garbage.Anyone advocating the Rangers making a deal for McCabe needs to get their head checked out.We discussed this topic three months ago and the Rangers weren't interested.Nothing has changed.
amen...case closed

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Once a page in this thread, someone has mentioned a preference for Kubina. I don't think it has been said yet on this page...

I'd rather have Kubina.

He would cost less assets to acquire, at a lower cap hit, for one less year.

I've only watched him a few games a season, so I could be wrong, but he could be the big, right-handed, 2-way veteran that can eat minutes and replace Rozsival next to Staal.

Am I crazy to think Kubi's better than Rozsie? And better for us than McCabe?
No you aren't crazy. He's much more upside than McCabe right now. However, if McCabe could return to his old self, he might be just as beneficial.

Old
05-16-2008, 06:59 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
just to play devil's advocate, does anyone think McCabe would be alot more comfortable knowing that his goalie is a bonafide number 1 goalie? Toskala is a good goalie but going between him, Raycroft, and Aubin the last few seasons may make McCabe feel that he has to do too much on defense. Maybe with someone like Henrik he would settle down and just be that good defenseman that we have all seen him be.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
just to play devil's advocate, does anyone think McCabe would be alot more comfortable knowing that his goalie is a bonafide number 1 goalie? Toskala is a good goalie but going between him, Raycroft, and Aubin the last few seasons may make McCabe feel that he has to do too much on defense. Maybe with someone like Henrik he would settle down and just be that good defenseman that we have all seen him be.
I think just a change in scenery could do a lot for him. I think the Leafs fans constantly riding him has to have taken a toll on him psychologically. He won't ever be a defensive dynamo, but I don't think he'd be as bad on Broadway as most people are making him out to be. However, he is too expensive and we could do a bit better, IMO.

If the Leafs want to dump him on us, they'd have to take something lousy back. If they want something good back from us, they'll have to send something good with McCabe.

Old
05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
possibly, however if mccabe is going to make 5.75 i would rather try to throw that at a player like liles and the rest at orpik or go after redden as i think he is a better player.....however, if kubina is available for very cheap i wouldnt mind grabbing him for backman

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 07:47 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Leafs fan here....

We don't want Backman the reason we are trading McCabe is to get rid of our garbage we dont want any back

In all reality the deal would most likely be....

1st and Prucha

now i know none of you would make that deal but I think thats what he would go for
Ha, did this guy come from the school of Ranger trade proposals? You want to give us a cap killing piece of garbage for gold (comparitively)? Get out of here! Backman for McCabe is fair because and most importantly, he's half the cap hit and has only one year left on his contract (btw, that's a good thing). And the fact that there is a *********** website doesn't do much to bolster your arguement.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote