HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dane Byers replacing Hollweg

Old
05-15-2008, 03:24 PM
NewYork4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I've not seen much of Byers this season but I never got the feeling he would be much more than an emergency call up. Hope I'm wrong. Korpedo and Moore are ahead of Byers for a slot on next season's team.
You couldn't be more wrong. How can you put Moore ahead of Byers when Moore had a terrible season last year and then started out good with a few call ups then lost all him momentum. Moore is inconsistant and has played how many games in the NHL and hasn't proved anything. Moore is old and I think he needs another consistant year in the AHL to prove he didn't just have a fluke season lastyear. Korpedo has a great chance to playing with NYR but he too has been inconsistant IMO.

NewYork4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork4life View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. How can you put Moore ahead of Byers when Moore had a terrible season last year and then started out good with a few call ups then lost all him momentum. Moore is inconsistant and has played how many games in the NHL and hasn't proved anything. Moore is old and I think he needs another consistant year in the AHL to prove he didn't just have a fluke season lastyear. Korpedo has a great chance to playing with NYR but he too has been inconsistant IMO.
how could you possibly say he had a terrible season?
he almost tripled his production from the season before, and scored 66 points in 72 games in the RS, and 3 points in 5 games in the playoffs. He was 2nd on the team in points, and is a good penalty killer, and a good 2-way player.

how on earth does that translate to a terrible season?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
chosen

Hollweg will definitely be in the NHL next year. When he's gone we'll be down to one decent forechecker (none that cause fear) unless someone in Hartford can do likewise.

This nonsense that he in any way cost the Rangers the series against Pitt is the next era of Rangers fan scapegoating. People were lost when Malik was sat. Someone else had to pay. It's never that we were outplayed by the better team.

Oh, I forgot it was also the refs that under Bettman's iron hand is ensuring that the golden boy hoists the Cup.

For the next 15 or so years Crosby will be imposing his will on games and fans of other teams will be moaning. We should all just get used to it now.

On the plus side, this is the most excited I've been about a Cup final since '94.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 03:57 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Hollweg will definitely be in the NHL next year. When he's gone we'll be down to one decent forechecker (none that cause fear) unless someone in Hartford can do likewise.

This nonsense that he in any way cost the Rangers the series against Pitt is the next era of Rangers fan scapegoating. People were lost when Malik was sat. Someone else had to pay. It's never that we were outplayed by the better team.

Oh, I forgot it was also the refs that under Bettman's iron hand is ensuring that the golden boy hoists the Cup.

For the next 15 or so years Crosby will be imposing his will on games and fans of other teams will be moaning. We should all just get used to it now.

On the plus side, this is the most excited I've been about a Cup final since '94.

Hollweg is this years Malik, & rightfully so. I don't want him on the team next season.

It's not right how Bettman has made the road to he cup finals so much easier for Crosby & the Penguins. They aren't earning it the way other teams have.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:23 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
how could you possibly say he had a terrible season?
he almost tripled his production from the season before, and scored 66 points in 72 games in the RS, and 3 points in 5 games in the playoffs. He was 2nd on the team in points, and is a good penalty killer, and a good 2-way player.

how on earth does that translate to a terrible season?
He was talking about the season before the one that just past.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:33 PM
NewYork4life

Thanks Squishy!!I meant the season before not this season. My bad

NewYork4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Hollwegs career wil most likely end once the Rangers release him.
I'm sure a team may take a chance on him....although I can't think of any right now haha he sucks

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork4life View Post
Ummm...OK...Moore's old?...at 24?...and you're right, he played a whole 6 games for the Rangers...stick a fork in him, he's done! As for Korpedo. He got the start in the playoffs. That should tell you something.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:08 AM
SaintB*

Hollweg has as many fight wins as Orr according to hockeyfights.com

Hollweg 1 win - 6 fights
Orr 1 win - 20 fights

Maybe we need a new heavyweight ...

SaintB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Fletch

Chosen...

why are you so excited? I was hoping a different team in the West would emerge, personally.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:38 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:

Agree and agree... Rangers need Hollweg out there. Or at least someone like him who will truly cause fear in opposing players. He is the only one on the team with that next level hitting ability that can make a player scared. The penalty he took was brutal, but it is not the reason the Rangers lost the series.... or even that game. Personally think Hollweg should be a regular on the 4th line and that Sjostrom should be watching from above.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Agree and agree... Rangers need Hollweg out there. Or at least someone like him who will truly cause fear in opposing players. He is the only one on the team with that next level hitting ability that can make a player scared. The penalty he took was brutal, but it is not the reason the Rangers lost the series.... or even that game. Personally think Hollweg should be a regular on the 4th line and that Sjostrom should be watching from above.
i dont know about that, if hollweg plays it should be for orr. at least hollweg has speed. but its just sad that he sux.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:42 AM
orland

Orr / Hollweg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintB View Post

Hollweg 1 win - 6 fights
Orr 1 win - 20 fights

Just for the record hockeyfights.com has Orr winning 12 of 18 fights this season. Orr has really established himself as a major heavyweight; possibly a top 5 guy. He does not back down from anyone including Brashear, who he loses to but not so bad anymore, and Laraque who he almost drew this year.

Hollweg can't really fight at all. While he hits hard many are cheap shots from behind into the boards. He may of cost us the playoffs in game 3 with his patented boarding move. He seems to be able to skate and shoot but never gets any points anyway so I say it is time to move on. Orr does need a partner to give us reasonable team toughness, hopefully Byers could fill that role, but it not Hollweg is not the answer.

orland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:58 AM
NYR Viper

other players hit....callahan, dawes, dubinsky, avery, sjostrom, korpikoski, byers.....hollweg isnt needed, hitting is a skill and he doesnt have it.....he tries to overcome that with hard-work which i commend, however other players are good at it.....hitting should result in you getting the puck, if hollweg got the puck, he wouldnt do anything with it.....need a player who can at least threaten to score..

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:59 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orland View Post
Just for the record hockeyfights.com has Orr winning 12 of 18 fights this season. Orr has really established himself as a major heavyweight; possibly a top 5 guy. He does not back down from anyone including Brashear, who he loses to but not so bad anymore, and Laraque who he almost drew this year.

Hollweg can't really fight at all. While he hits hard many are cheap shots from behind into the boards. He may of cost us the playoffs in game 3 with his patented boarding move. He seems to be able to skate and shoot but never gets any points anyway so I say it is time to move on. Orr does need a partner to give us reasonable team toughness, hopefully Byers could fill that role, but it not Hollweg is not the answer.
Correct, and I don't know how anyone who watches the Rangers could say that Orr only won 1 this year. Orr had a very good year in fighting and really is starting to look like he can handle the best. Pretty nice having Orr actually because he is one of the few fighters who actually possess an ability to truly hurt someone.

Old
05-16-2008, 12:00 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
other players hit....callahan, dawes, dubinsky, avery, sjostrom, korpikoski, byers.....hollweg isnt needed, hitting is a skill and he doesnt have it.....he tries to overcome that with hard-work which i commend, however other players are good at it.....hitting should result in you getting the puck, if hollweg got the puck, he wouldnt do anything with it.....need a player who can at least threaten to score..
It's not so much the fact that other players hit... It is the fact that opposing players have to be aware of when Hollweg is going to hit. Hollweg's hits are ten times what any of those other players can hit at. Defensemen are more apt to duck out of a hit from Hollweg as compared to someone like Sjostrom. This creates more chances and also has opposing teams always aware that there is someone on the other team who can hurt them.

Old
05-16-2008, 12:06 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
that george parros style mustache isnt working out for hollweg either

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:26 PM
orland

Hollweg on and on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
It's not so much the fact that other players hit... It is the fact that opposing players have to be aware of when Hollweg is going to hit. Hollweg's hits are ten times what any of those other players can hit at. Defensemen are more apt to duck out of a hit from Hollweg as compared to someone like Sjostrom. This creates more chances and also has opposing teams always aware that there is someone on the other team who can hurt them.
There is some merit to what you say. Hollweg can be a dangerous hitter who instills a bit of fear into the opposing player. But that is about it and he has not advanced any other part of his game to make him a net positive force on the team. If he can't score and can't fight his hitting is not enough, especially when too many of the hits are cheap shots, or at the least, penalties.

orland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 03:33 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintB View Post

Hollweg 1 win - 6 fights
Orr 1 win - 20 fights

First off thats entirely untrue. Check the forums on hockeyfights.com. Orr is considered a top 5 heavyweight in the league by 90% of the posters over there. I don't even have to check his record to tell you he won much more than one fight this year. Heck I think he beat Riley Cote's head in at least 3 times this year.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Fletch

If Orr had 20 fights...

last season he likely clearly won about 2/3. He may've lost a couple and drew a few. Last season I think I would've said that early on he couldn't get a win and towards the end he couldn't lose.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Edge

I think Byers has a shot to replace Hollweg, but we'll see after camp how things go.

He's not as ferocious as a hitter, but he's bigger, a better fighter and could provide a bit of offense to the fourth line.

Like Hollweg, he's more of a pest than an enforcer.

That's where Hollweg's biggest challange is going to come from.

For me, the Moore's and Korpikoski's of the world will likely battle for the other available forward spot.

I think you'll see two forward and one defensive slots open for rookie to win.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:35 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Hollwegs career wil most likely end once the Rangers release him.
Nahh... The Islanders will sign him.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:32 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
why are you so excited? I was hoping a different team in the West would emerge, personally.
I think they are the 2 best teams.

I just hope that Franzen can play. He might turn out to be special.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:28 AM
polako

Quote:

Totally agree, Chosen. At this point in time, he really brings a combination of defense and toughness that no other player in the system capable of matching. Until that player arrives, I'm fine with having Hollweg remain in the lineup.

Now if he could only knock in a goal or two once in a while...

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
Maybe the Wild will pick him up so he can be on a line with Simon.
Simon signed with Vityaz Checkov of the RSL earlier this week.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote