HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings Interested in Spezza/Emery and Stamkos

Old
05-16-2008, 02:09 PM
DG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
I wouldn't call Spezza garbage but in no way is he worth Kopitar who is a rising young star,Spezza seems to be made of glass would probably get killed in the west anyway.
What makes Kopitar so much better than Spezza exactly?

I'm particularly curious about how Spezza isn't a rising young star.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:12 PM
AmartZing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTisIT View Post
Well, if they're going after Spezza AND Stamkos, I'd have to assume that Kopitar would be leaving in one of the trades. Probably to Ottawa. Since they're also getting Emery, maybe they are going to get rid of Bernier??? Bernier and the 2nd overall to Tampa for the 1st overall. That's the most logical scenario (though it doesn't make much sense for LA IMO) that I could come up with.
WOW!!!! If LA give Bernier and the 2nd overall for the first...they are crazy!!! They will never do that!!! Bernier will be a lot better than Emery...and they need defence...not Stamkos...so why give your futur number 1 goalie to move up 1 place for nothing....sounds really bad for LA

AmartZing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:19 PM
sensfan31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
I'd want Kopitar + for Spezza.
Ottawa had their chance for Kopitar - they drafted Lee instead.

sensfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Why would the Kings want a minor league goalie (at best a backup) in Emery [insert: the OMG, he led Ottawa to the SCF, didn't you buy into the hype? No, no I didn't, he's always been garbage] when they have so many decent goalie prospects...LaBarbera is already better than Emery, Bernier is better, if Ersberg keeps up his pace even at 3/4 speed he's better...there's just no reason for the Kings to get Emery unless they trade Cloutier for him, and then buy out Emery (1/3 instead of 2/3)...but that doesn't really benefit anyone...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:24 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
How about you keep Spezza as part of your core since you signed him to a multi-year deal?

You can probably get a mid round pick for Emery at the draft and that solves that problem.

LA isn't going to deal Kopitar and they have no desire to trade up to get Stamkos.
Don't get so wound up. The rumour is that the Kings are interested, not that the Sens are shopping. I don't want to see Spezza go anywhere, and Egil was saying what it would take if you guys wanted him.

Despite the latest HF mentality, Spezza doesn't get shipped out of town without massive overpayment.

Despite Eklund's rumours, Spezza isn't going anywhere unless we get a bonified #1 goaltender in return. We don't need another rising star for Spezza; he's on the verge of being dominant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Gerber View Post

Spezza is worth Kopitar.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:29 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:

He didn't outscore Kopitar by enough?

Kopitar more rested from not having to play any career playoff games?

Spezza now considered a bust because he's reaching 25 years old?

Potential is better than talent than HF boards. Kopitar is projected to be a 100 point player in the future, Spezza could barely reach 92 this year. Luckily for Ottawa, Spezza just might be one of those "diamond in the rough" type players.

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
Don't get so wound up. The rumour is that the Kings are interested, not that the Sens are shopping. I don't want to see Spezza go anywhere, and Egil was saying what it would take if you guys wanted him.

Despite the latest HF mentality, Spezza doesn't get shipped out of town without massive overpayment.

Despite Eklund's rumours, Spezza isn't going anywhere unless we get a bonified #1 goaltender in return. We don't need another rising star for Spezza; he's on the verge of being dominant.

Spezza is worth Kopitar.

I'm laughing that you even have to argue that. I need to look for some Spezza trade proposals from last year to see what he isn't worth anymore.

Old
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:

When i mean young star i mean 20-21 not 25 with 5 years experience, Kopitar is a big beast that is nearly a PPG player his first 2 seasons, Spezza is big but not a beast and surrounded with a good team. Kopitar is not.

I'll guarantee not 1 GM would trade Kopitar for Spezza...it wouldn't even be close.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
If the Kings had really stated any interest in Emery and his current contract, the Senators would have traded him for future considerations at this point - they're that eager to get rid of him.

They don't. No one does. The Kings may have interest in Emery, but they won't go after him until the Senators by him out.

05-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post

Spezza is worth Kopitar.
No he isn't.

I'm a fan of neither team, although a SENS sympathizer. When you take into account future potential and contracts, Spezza doesn't begin to get that return.

Spezza is a great player but he also makes 8 million a year. Kopitar will make $750,000 (yes, 1/8th of what Spezza will get) next season, and I would not be at all suprised to see him produce on a similar level.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:34 PM
SkullSplitter

It would be stupid for LA to do that.

for Spezza + Emery it would probably take Camalleri + Brown + Armstrong + and for Stamkos it would probably cost their 1st + kopitar.

They'd get a moody goalie, a number 1 center that hasn't fulfilled his promise and gets his stats padded by some good wingers, and a franchise center for a franchise defenseman (their number one pick), a 2 top line guys and 2 2nd line guys.

Why don't they just sign a good goalie in the offsesaon? Ellis would cost the same or less and be better. There are lots of UFAs.

I could see maybe trading for Stamkos, but they'd be giving up a franchise d-man plus another really good asset to do it. I'd say take the d-man and be done with it.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
When i mean young star i mean 20-21 not 25 with 5 years experience, Kopitar is a big beast that is nearly a PPG player his first 2 seasons, Spezza is big but not a beast and surrounded with a good team. Kopitar is not.

I'll guarantee not 1 GM would trade Kopitar for Spezza...it wouldn't even be close.

This, in a nutshell, is exactly how I see it.

Old
05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
Im just saying what it would take for Spezza, nothing more.
I take Kopitar over Spezza so you better make it Spezza + for Kopitar.

Ivyy13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:47 PM
KenAF

The LA Kings are not going to trade Kopitar. The trade for Spezza will not involve Kopitar.

The LA Kings could trade the #2, #22, #32, and #47 picks for Spezza and Emery. Spezza's contract for $8m/year significantly reduces his value, and Ottawa wants to get rid of Emery's $3.5m/yr contract. That frees up $11.5m on their cap, which they can use to go after Fleury, Huet, and/or Hossa.

Last edited by KenAF: 05-16-2008 at 02:59 PM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Kopitar > Spezza.

He doesn't choke in the playoffs and his 4 leap years younger.

Seriously though, a Spezza for Kopitar trade makes no sense for either side. The Kings aren't looking to add salary and the Sens aren't looking to have another Hossa/Muckler sign and trade fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Ottawa wants to get rid of Emery to sign Huet, if they can.
Please, anything but that.

Last edited by Indy on the Road: 05-16-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Kamina
Amok

Spezza is not being traded for just another centre. It won't change any of their problems.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:54 PM
KenAF

Nevermind.

Last edited by KenAF: 05-16-2008 at 03:00 PM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Quote:
I'm going to repeat it again for those that missed it -- trading Spezza and Emery frees up about $11.5m in cap space. Can you think of a certain Penguins RFA that would command less than that?
Marc-Andre Fleury? Why?

Old
DG

Quote:

Spezza isn't a "beast", as you call Kopitar, but that's not his style of game. I can't believe how much people underrate Spezza's value. Maybe they wouldn't be traded for each other, but it's hardly because their respective values isn't close.

I find it surprising with how important being Canadian and having playoff experience is on here that people don't consider that Spezza is a PPG player in the playoffs and except for this year, have always been one of their best post-season players.

Quote:
The LA Kings could trade the #2, #22, #32, and #47 picks for Spezza and Emery. Spezza's contract for $8m/year significantly reduces his value, and Ottawa wants to get rid of Emery's $3.5m/yr contract.
TERRIBLE.

The Sens aren't in the process of a rebuild, so a pile of draft picks doesn't help them AT ALL.

Spezza makes 7M, not 8M. 7M is a great contract for a player of his ilk...

And Ottawa is not going to dump Spezza to get rid of his contract. Completely stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Emery Scares Me View Post
Marc-Andre Fleury? Why?
I think he means offer-sheeting Malkin, as though the Pens won't match any and every offer...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DownInFlames

Quote:
I wouldn't call Spezza garbage but in no way is he worth Kopitar who is a rising young star,Spezza seems to be made of glass would probably get killed in the west anyway.
he is alone in thinking that. Spezza is great and no he isn't made of glass.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Quote:
I think he means offer-sheeting Malkin, as though the Pens won't match any and every offer...
Well, I think I would feel a bit slighted if the Sens sat on an extra 10M of cap space in hopes of maybe landing Malkin in 2009.

Old
05-16-2008, 03:00 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:

God, who would want a player with 5 more years experience, who led the playoffs in scoring one year when they could have some mother ****ing potential. Hells yeah!

Old
05-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Epatt001

i know it's ek, and the rumor has no validity. but...

dean lombardi just did an interview with phil esposito, and said that he didnt go after any free agents (i know, spezza is signed) bc he doesnt feel that the team is at the point to start handing out 7 yr contracts to big free agents just yet... so i highly doubt he would want to take on spezz's 7yr 7mil(?) contract..

just to play devil's advocate if this trade were to go down i could see something along the lines of

visnovsky and cammy for emery and spezza, + a lower tier prospect.

i think the kings would only do this if they felt they could replace lubo with a guy like brian campbell etc...

but it will never happen in a million years..

Epatt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJforCALDER View Post
i know it's ek, and the rumor has no validity. but...

dean lombardi just did an interview with phil esposito, and said that he didnt go after any free agents (i know, spezza is signed) bc he doesnt feel that the team is at the point to start handing out 7 yr contracts to big free agents just yet... so i highly doubt he would want to take on spezz's 7yr 7mil(?) contract..

just to play devil's advocate if this trade were to go down i could see something along the lines of

visnovsky and cammy for emery and spezza, + a lower tier prospect.

i think the kings would only do this if they felt they could replace lubo with a guy like brian campbell etc...

but it will never happen in a million years..

That deal wouldn't get you Spezza's left skate.

Old
05-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Seachd

Seems like I'm in the minority, but I think LA is hoping Kopitar turns into as good a player as Spezza is now.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote