HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Balsillie - Quebec should've its own NHL team

Old
05-16-2008, 03:39 PM
David_99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbiebo0gie View Post
That would be sweet. Even though I will eventually grow to hate his team, just renewing a Quebec intra-province rivalry would be incredible.
Don't worry, he seems like a "hands-on" owner. They usually don't have much success in the NHL because of their impatience and wanting to make a splash for the sake of a splash.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Looking at the attendence averages around the league i don't think we will see a team in QC soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Don't worry, he seems like a "hands-on" owner. They usually don't have much success in the NHL because they are like most of us.
fixed.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Well, if I ever meet him, I'll be sure to tell him that I use his vinegar.
lol...I can't believe this post slide by.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol...I can't believe this post slide by.
Oh, didn't get it til now!

McPhee

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:27 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
That guy is a megalomaniac...

How much is that man worth anyway? No way in hell he can finance the build up of a franchise... I don't know... "Il est louche, selon moi"...

He wants to have a god like icon for a city in Canada... He wants to be the "hero" that brings a NHL franchise in a city.... I smell a glory ***** ....
*Forbes numbers are based on shares of RIM that are climbing quite fast atm. http://www.tsx.com/HttpController?Ge..._1=RIM&x=0&y=0

Uhh, he sure easily can, hes worth approx 2.5B$ and climbing, projected to reach 4.5 B$ by the end of the year.(If the Asia launch works well)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:34 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Looking at the attendence averages around the league i don't think we will see a team in QC soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008

fixed.
Relevant how? Adding another stable 18k would be nice for the league no? Attendance means nothing either, Florida gave 3k comp tickets to reach that figure?

Old
05-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Iwishihadacup

this guy is a failure

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:39 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
this guy is a failure
I'd sure like to be a 2B$ failure myself.

Old
05-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
*Forbes numbers are based on shares of RIM that are climbing quite fast atm. http://www.tsx.com/HttpController?Ge..._1=RIM&x=0&y=0

Uhh, he sure easily can, hes worth approx 2.5B$ and climbing, projected to reach 4.5 B$ by the end of the year.(If the Asia launch works well)
If RIMM really goes that big, then it will fall just as fast. No way in hell is that company worth more than 100B$. It's severely overpriced atm imo.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Anderson View Post
If RIMM really goes that big, then it will fall just as fast. No way in hell is that company worth more than 100B$. It's severely overpriced atm imo.
I don't think so, quite the opposite. If anything a rebounding US economy will boost the shares even further.

Old
05-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Habbiebo0gie

Quote:
meh, point is he can still afford to buy an nhl team and finance a new arena

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:50 PM
OnePoll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
His company is worth billions and he is personally worth hundreds of millions.
#583 Mike Lazaridis (Research in Motion): US$1.7billion

#618 James Balsillie (Research in Motion): US$1.6billion

He is personally worth 1.6 billion.

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
I don't think so, quite the opposite. If anything a rebounding US economy will boost the shares even further.
You think the company's underpriced? What's it done to be worth more than American Express, a company that produces more than 10 times RIM's owner earnings?

I know it's growth, but damn would it have to grow like crazy to be worth the price. Especially considering tech changes overnight.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Quote:
Relevant how? Adding another stable 18k would be nice for the league no? Attendance means nothing either, Florida gave 3k comp tickets to reach that figure?
Attendence means everything, it's a gate driven league. And teams with low attendance like Florida get money from rich teams like Toronto and Montreal anyway so they won't move anytime soon. To get a team we need to be able to buy one that's not making money right now or an expension, that's why attendence figures are relevant. Just look at what happened in Nashville, it's secure for now.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:59 PM
SOLR

Quote:
You think the company's underpriced? What's it done to be worth more than American Express, a company that produces more than 10 times RIM's owner earnings?

I know it's growth, but damn would it have to grow like crazy to be worth the price. Especially considering tech changes overnight.
I don't think it's underpriced per say, but it's still as not reached maturity imo since they are not yet launched everywhere. Also, while you are right that technology changes often, they are not really selling technology, it's more a conceptual success(mobile messaging for the business users). They are likely to face some competition, but for the moment, nothing serious is even on the market against them.(Apple is working on it, with a business IPhone)

Old
05-16-2008, 05:03 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Attendence means everything, it's a gate driven league. And teams with low attendance like Florida get money from rich teams like Toronto and Montreal anyway so they won't move anytime soon. To get a team we need to be able to buy one that's not making money right now or an expension, that's why attendence figures are relevant. Just look at what happened in Nashville, it's secure for now.
Gate receipt means everything, not attendance, you have said so yourself it's a gate driven league. High attendance does not automatically translate into good receipts if your tickets are sold for 5$.(See Tampa Bay Lightning)

Quebec, with a CDN dollar at that level, with a new arena(essential condition) is easily in the top 15 for gate revenues atm.

Also. Nashville is not out of the woods just yet.

Old
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksFan221 View Post
#583 Mike Lazaridis (Research in Motion): US$1.7billion

#618 James Balsillie (Research in Motion): US$1.6billion

He is personally worth 1.6 billion.
Those are already old numbers and Lazaridis is mostly following Balsillie in a lot of projects.(Wasnt he part of the Nashville bid?)

Old
05-16-2008, 05:20 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
That guy is a megalomaniac...

How much is that man worth anyway? No way in hell he can finance the build up of a franchise... I don't know... "Il est louche, selon moi"...

He wants to have a god like icon for a city in Canada... He wants to be the "hero" that brings a NHL franchise in a city.... I smell a glory ***** ....
The dude is worth billions and going up so yes he could finance it.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

A new team in Quebec is going to pass through Dieter Maastricht of Red Bull.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 05:37 PM
sandman08

Quote:
I don't think it's underpriced per say, but it's still as not reached maturity imo since they are not yet launched everywhere. Also, while you are right that technology changes often, they are not really selling technology, it's more a conceptual success(mobile messaging for the business users). They are likely to face some competition, but for the moment, nothing serious is even on the market against them.(Apple is working on it, with a business IPhone)
and at the same time as that, RIM is working on getting into apples current core market for the iphone with more user friendly and "hot" phones for the regular everyday user

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

I wouldn't mind seeing Mr. Balsillie operate a Québec franchise, although IMO it's likely to lose money. Aside from recreating an old rivalry, it might scrape some of the loonie anti-Koivu crowd off the shoebottoms of this forum and redirect them to their own.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Habsrule

I don't understand that hate toward him. He is a Canadian who loves hockey. He wants a hockey team of his own. It is not as much as him failing but as much as Gary Betman not wanting him to move a team. He was the highest bidder for the Preds and Craig Leipold sold the team to the second highest bidder who would keep them in Nashville.

Habsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:18 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 720
*** not translated word for word, cuz that would sound like garbage. hey, i majored in journalism too Quotes remain the same, except to clear up grammatical errors that would occur from direct translation.

Quebec City must get its team back: Jim Balsillie

Jim Balsille has become one of Canada's biggest hockey promoters -- a title he likely wishes he didn't have.

Balsillie would probably prefer to be the owner of, say, the Pittsburgh Penguins, Nashville Predators, or Buffalo Sabres. The millionaire has made headlines with his trio of unsuccessful bids to purchase and move a team to Hamilton, Ont.

Balsillie is making waves again, this time at the World Hockey Championship in Quebec, where he declared the city "must get its team back."

"Canada has to have at least one more team," said the founder of telecommunications giant Research in Motion.

"My idea is that Canada must have at least one more team. Canada could support it. There's interest, fans, whether I'm involved or not. It doesn't matter where, there must be one or two more teams."

Balsillie also believes Quebec City would have to build a new arena to house a Nordiques reincarnation.

"Yes, I can finance an arena," he added. "Canada is a wealthy country, people like hockey. The arena would be filled day after day."

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:28 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 720
more from CBC English. The SRC article is much more brief and leaves out some interesting parts:

Jim Balsillie may be bruised from his efforts to buy an existing NHL team and bring it to Canada, but he hasn't abandoned the chase.

The billionaire co-chief executive officer of Research in Motion Ltd., maker of the BlackBerry mobile communication device, thinks Canada could use at least one more NHL team and he'd like nothing more than to be owner of a seventh Canadian NHL franchise.

"I enjoy the pursuit. I do not get frustrated or discouraged. It would be a great thing to do and it may or may not happen. I think the most important thing is that Canada gets another pro hockey team, with or without me. I think the most important thing is to have one or two new markets in Canada.

"There are people who believe I am right and people who believe I am wrong. I have no doubt that Quebec could support a team and I have no doubt that Winnipeg could support a team."

Bettman was here last week and said it's obvious the Colisee doesn't meet the current standards for an NHL arena.

Balsillie was asked about whether he could afford building a new arena and either paying an expansion fee for a new team or relocating an existing team.

"Yes, I could afford to pay for it. Sure you can build a building. Canada is a prosperous country and Canadians love hockey and you could fill a building in a day."

Balsillie took part in a veterans game on Thursday that was part of the world championship celebrations.

The game was organized by Alexander Medvedev, the Russian billionaire who is restructuring the Russian League amid speculation that it will poach Russian talent from NHL rosters.

Asked whether he and Medvedev have talked about their common interests to become part of the hockey elite, Balsillie said "no comment."

The Hockey News has a similar article, which adds: Some industry sources have indicated that as many of eight teams in the NHL are for sale right now and Balsillie acknowledged he’s well aware there are a number of teams that could be purchased....One thing Balsillie did seem to make clear is he’s not interested in buying a U.S.-based team, particularly one that is in a struggling market, and keeping it where it is. He said at least a half-dozen times in a five-minute period that he believes Canada deserves another NHL team whether he is involved in the ownership or not.

Medvedev, meanwhile, quelled fears his league would attempt to poach players under contract to NHL teams, but said the new Continental Hockey League – which is made up of the former Russian League along with teams from Latvia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine – will undoubtedly pursue high-profile players who will become restricted and unrestricted free agents July 1.

He said each of the 24 teams will have a salary floor of $10 million and an upper cap of $22.5 million.

“I believe you’ll see some interesting names next season in our league from the NHL” Medvedev said.

When asked who some of those players might be, he said he couldn’t say because not all the contracts are signed yet. In the absence of an agreement between the NHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation, there doesn’t seem to be any tampering issues for the Russian league to deal with, so it’s possible the league is talking with players who are under contract and will be free agents July 1.

Medvedev also announced he will be running for vice-president of the IIHF at the annual congress next week in Montreal and there is a good chance he will win. Medvedev is seen as something of a renegade and the IIHF is privately encouraged by the fact he’ll be on the executive, since it will be easier to reign him in if he is in their fold.

Last edited by bodybreak: 05-16-2008 at 11:35 PM.
bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Interesting. My gf calls the blackberry a bellboy.

I still don't get it.
I get it. Your gf is retarded

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote