HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trevor Timmins as a GM

Old
05-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Shred

vCash: 500
This says he'll most probably become GM one day...

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
As a GM?

Care to give one kick ass argumentation?
I meant to start a polemic... so that's why I didn't anything else than his name.

Now that being said... he is completely different than Bob Gainey.

However, he too can be successful, for different reasons.

The first one, he never gives up, and has a proven drive that made him the best goalie of all times.

This also showed as the Quebec Rampart's GM.

He got to trade for big names and got Angelo Esposito when those were available to other GMs.

So, it's drive and persitance... got him the Memorial cup on its first years as GM of his club.

Once Bob Gainey decide to step out... one should at least consider Patrick Roy as a potential GM.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Yeah, at the age of 30 he is a Lawyer, a GM of a professional hockey team (Hamilton Bulldogs) Director of Operations with the Canadiens and is making six figures guaranteed.
But can he flex his pectoral muscles independently!!!?

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:10 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Do you think Trevor Timmins will ever become a GM in the NHL?

In my opinion, he would definitely be a candidate to take over the job in Montreal when Bob Gainey retires or be lured by another team in the future.

Discuss!
Timmins does have some qualities to be a GM now! Love the way he develops players...however give him a few more year's experience to see other aspects of the front office before putting him in the GMs chair

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Nobak

Of course he'll be a GM. I have proof.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
I meant to start a polemic... so that's why I didn't anything else than his name.

Now that being said... he is completely different than Bob Gainey.

However, he too can be successful, for different reasons.

The first one, he never gives up, and has a proven drive that made him the best goalie of all times.

This also showed as the Quebec Rampart's GM.

He got to trade for big names and got Angelo Esposito when those were available to other GMs.

So, it's drive and persitance... got him the Memorial cup on its first years as GM of his club.

Once Bob Gainey decide to step out... one should at least consider Patrick Roy as a potential GM.
He's also a classless jerk. No to St Patrick.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
why is it nhl gms tend to usually be former players or agents as opposed to talent evaluators whereas in the nfl you see a lot of talent guys (guys who were head scouts or in charge of some aspect of scouting) become gm's more often (at least, at first glance it seems that way to me, if im wrong.. i apologize)
Its a prestige thing. In the NHL, the "top job" is GM. Technically, its the same in the NFL, but seriously, most people cannot name the GM of the New England Patriots, but everyone knows Belicheck (yes, I know someone will name him here, but you'll have to agree the coaches are more "famous").

In the NHL, people feel compelled to hire names to run their franchises and reassure the fans.

There are some talent guys at the top (Howsen in Columbus), so I am sure we'll see a move that way. Also, I might add some of the more famous guys were no where near players (most the old Habs GMs, Lamarillo, Sather, etc.)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 10:00 AM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Of course he'll be a GM. I have proof
If you say so Fernand!!!

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:07 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
How has Pat Roy ever impressed anybody with his intelligence? He is a hot headed egotist. As for his playing days he did have some hot playoffs but he was Gawd awful most years. So may years Ray Bourque etc would sail one over the blueline. In Colorado he was on a stacked team.

Having Trever on a performance based contract eg wins in playoffs, players making the all star team, team wins etc would make sense. Scouting is the lifeblood of this team. Overpaying him a half million is nothing like overpaying Sammy, Ryder, Boulenault etc.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-17-2008 at 08:24 PM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Of course he'll be a GM. I have proof.

What is that????

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:53 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
This says he'll most probably become GM one day...
That cannot explain Garth Snow.

However, this can.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
What is that????
NHL Eastside Hockey Manager

A manager simulation game... Very good if you're into that kind of thing.

Old
05-17-2008, 04:13 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Its a prestige thing. In the NHL, the "top job" is GM. Technically, its the same in the NFL, but seriously, most people cannot name the GM of the New England Patriots, but everyone knows Belicheck (yes, I know someone will name him here, but you'll have to agree the coaches are more "famous").

In the NHL, people feel compelled to hire names to run their franchises and reassure the fans.

There are some talent guys at the top (Howsen in Columbus), so I am sure we'll see a move that way. Also, I might add some of the more famous guys were no where near players (most the old Habs GMs, Lamarillo, Sather, etc.)
good points, when i lived in NA i used to remember the gms in the nfl but nowadays i forget most of em haha, although.. i think the guy in atlanta is cherikoff or some such? former talent guy with the patriots if my memory is correct.

although i do agree not all gms are or were former players, most of them tend to be guys who were agents, coaches or whatever or something along those lines rather than talent guys specifically (ie. slats, lou lam (sortve, he coached in college and then took over the devils as gm but had some coaching experience), brian burke was an agent for a while as well, etc etc)

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
I couldn't agree more with this. I think Timmins is already in the job he is best suited for, and it seems obvious to me that Brisebois is in training to be a GM some day.

The Timmins-to-be-a-gm thing seems to crop up fairly often around here. I see people worrying every now and then that some other team might try to poach him to be their GM. Personally, I just don't see why people are all that concerned. Timmins is a great evaluator of talent, but how big a part of a GMs job is that really? GMs having scouting staffs specifically so that they don't need to be all that involved in scouting. I think being a good GM has a lot more to do with building an effective team, attracting quality players, and managing the teams finances/cap/contracts properly. Timmins is a great scout, but I've seen nothing to make me think he's particularly adept at those things.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
good points, when i lived in NA i used to remember the gms in the nfl but nowadays i forget most of em haha, although.. i think the guy in atlanta is cherikoff or some such? former talent guy with the patriots if my memory is correct.

although i do agree not all gms are or were former players, most of them tend to be guys who were agents, coaches or whatever or something along those lines rather than talent guys specifically (ie. slats, lou lam (sortve, he coached in college and then took over the devils as gm but had some coaching experience), brian burke was an agent for a while as well, etc etc)
True, it's never going to be black and white in any sport... and the Atlanta one, FYI, was off the board even for the NFL. He totally got hired because of the Pats, more than anything, but again, from the scouting end.

The point is there is zero pressure in the NFL to hire a name GM, you want a good GM and fans accept that. In Toronto, for instance, the discussion isn't even around the best candidate, its around the candidate with the best track record, which is not necessarily (although usually) the same thing and thus, to me, actually a negative for the franchise.

They're eliminating candidates who may actually be better simply because they do not have rings.

Case and point, the recent Gretzky hubhub. He may be a brilliant GM someday, but there is scant evidence to prove it (sorry, winning Canada gold, while a positive on the resume is really just basically "not failing" more than winning given the relative talent pools). Yet, he was getting batted around simply because he has the reputation to take the job.

Burke I actually think is the best they could want to do as he has both the experience, the history and the sheer balls to work in Toronto and tell the media to go ____ itself, much in the way Gainey has, although likely in more direct words than Gainey has. You do need a relatively independent GM in big markets.

Regardless, in the NFL, the "name" hire is more likely to be the head coach and luckily for the NFL, coaches themselves are more apt to be "names", so it works out fine.

In the NHL, where fan awareness is much lower, it makes sense then that former greats are more prone to get these jobs.

Old
05-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
He's also a classless jerk. No to St Patrick.
I'll second that thought.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote