HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Blues #5 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the Blues' 5th best prospect?
David Backes 2 7.14%
Konstantin Barulin 6 21.43%
Alexandre Bolduc 1 3.57%
Trevor Byrne 5 17.86%
Colin Hemingway 5 17.86%
Robin Jonsson 0 0%
Ryan MacMurchy 0 0%
John Pohl 1 3.57%
Curtis Sanford 1 3.57%
Alexei Shkotov 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2004, 07:14 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
LOL, I don't think anyone was questioning that. I think any team would take those guys.
I didn't want anyone to get the idea that I thought they sucked...

Old
05-23-2004, 08:25 PM
guitaraholic*

1. Pitkanen
2. Bouwmeester
3. Klesla
4. Komisarek
5. Hamhuis (I think his overall skill level is higher than Jackman's and he's no baby, either)
6. Stuart (drafted a year prior to Jacks)
7. Backman (again, overall skill's are higher all around)

I'll modify my statement I suppose as you're right, there aren't 10 young dmen I'd take over Jackman.

Old
05-23-2004, 08:32 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
1. Pitkanen
2. Bouwmeester
3. Klesla
4. Komisarek
5. Hamhuis (I think his overall skill level is higher than Jackman's and he's no baby, either)

I'll modify my statement I suppose as you're right, there aren't 10 young dmen I'd take over Jackman.
I'm curious as to what the outsider's opinion is to this.

I'm gonna post a poll in the prospect board.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:33 PM
degroat*

Quote:
1. Pitkanen
2. Bouwmeester
3. Klesla
4. Komisarek

I love Backman but he's not anywhere near as good as Jackman. The only area that Backman is better than Jackman in is vision in offensive zone... and that includes both skating and stickhandling.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
I wouldn't mind having them in addition to Jackman, but if it's an either/or I take Jackman.
That's how I feel as well, except maybe I'd take Bouwmeester over Jackman with some reluctance.

I was just throwing those names out there as possible inclusions on guitaraholic's list. Those are all good young d-men, and I'd love to have any or all of them in the organization (along with Jackman, of course); I tend, however, to accept CuSa_1's assessment that those other guys will be in the box scores, but a guy like Jackman keeps those box scores short.

PrussianBlue

Old
05-23-2004, 09:40 PM
degroat*

There's no doubt that Bouwmeester has more potential than Jackman, but as indicated by Bouweester's demotions to the AHL this past year, Jackman has been considerably better at the NHL level so far. Based on that... the simple fact that we know what we're getting with Jackman... it's not unreasonable to take Jackman.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:44 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
1. Pitkanen
2. Bouwmeester
3. Klesla
4. Komisarek

Not to mention that Klesla and Komisarik have only been under acheivers so far and havent proved as reliable as jackman yet. And there is still time for Pitkanen, Bouwmeester to be busts.

Another note:

You cant really compare backman to jackman. They play two different equally valuable games. We are hoping for lidstrom type play out of backman, and stevens type power and reliability/leadership out of jackman. I think in the future they could complement each other nicely, giving us a little bit better balance on d. I would have a heck of a time deciding between the 2 if i had to choose. But i would lean towards jackman. Becasue when it comes down to it, the defense/grit/crease clearing ability sells me.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:49 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331

You cant really compare backman to jackman.
We aren't really comparing the two. The question is who would you pick (in a draft-esque scenerio)?

I'd take Jackman, but Backman's much more than just a compensation prize.

Old
05-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
I love Backman but he's not anywhere near as good as Jackman. The only area that Backman is better than Jackman in is vision in offensive zone... and that includes both skating and stickhandling.
I agree, except that I think Jackman is as good a skater as any defensemen in the league. I would say the three qualities that define him would be tougness, hockey sense and skating ability, not neccesarily in that order. He also looks certain to assume a leadership role as he gets older.

Old
05-24-2004, 01:51 AM
CuSa_1

Looks like Shkotov's gonna take it.

I say add Black to the list...

I'm gonna have to vote for Byrne for the next one after hearing about his potential. Or should it be for the 'barulin Wall? or the 9th round wonder of Pohl????? :mad:

Old
05-24-2004, 07:08 AM
Curved Blade
Awaiting Moderation

I only saw Jackman a few times while he was in Worcester, but I think he style was quite different from Byrne's. He was much more physical and always played with tons of confidence (sometimes to his detrement).

Byrne is more like Backman in my mind and has the talent and potential to be just as good. He showed great improvement during the year (as 210 mentioned) and I agree he should be a #3 D-man in the NHL. I thought he had a good play-off and was one of the few offensive contributors to what otherwise was a so-so at best playoff run.

I believe he will spend some time in St. Louis next season (if there is one) but will be there after that for quite a while...He suppossedly is a very high-quality kind of guy off the ice as well.

Closed Thread