HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Gets Extention

Old
05-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Pabst Plays Westboro

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pabst Plays Westboro
Martin Gets Extention

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2379...=topStory_main

The Florida Panthers announced Friday that Jacques Martin has reached an agreement to remain with the team as the club's general manager through the 2011-2012 season.

Have fun with Jacque for 3 more years!

Pabst Plays Westboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:23 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1200 View Post

The Florida Panthers announced Friday that Jacques Martin has reached an agreement to remain with the team as the club's general manager through the 2011-2012 season.

Good. We wanted him to stay as GM, not coach. Now he can focus completely on GM duties and not worry about coaching.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1200 View Post

He's been a good GM, hopefully that continues and this team turns their playoff misses to perrenial contenders.

Now we need to get the players' contracts done.

05-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Georgia Panther

Three Thoughts:

1.Boo
2.That's a lot of money that Cohen is going to have to spend buying out JM if he once again fails to make the Playoffs this coming season.
and
3.BOO!!!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Where do you see anything about money?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 01:04 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Where do you see anything about money?
With a longer contract like that he'll obviously be making some money that we'll have to buy him out with if we want to fire him before then.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:10 PM
panthertod

Perhaps this is one of the reasons the coaching search has been delayed. Now that his deal is done, it's time to get a coach.

panthertod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthertod View Post
Perhaps this is one of the reasons the coaching search has been delayed. Now that his deal is done, it's time to get a coach.
Normally I'd agree, but with only 17 days left to sign three of our top prospects, I'd prefer he concentrate on that first. Two weeks will pass quickly.

05-16-2008, 02:24 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Normally I'd agree, but with only 17 days left to sign three of our top prospects, I'd prefer he concentrate on that first. Two weeks will pass quickly.
Is there a max to what we can sign our prospects to? I'm trying to figure out the most we would have to pay which IMO is necessary unless these guys don't want to play here.

The contracts couldn't be that expensive and at these low levels the differences should be insignificant. There is absolutely no reason JM shouldn't be able to get these guys signed.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:26 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Is there a max to what we can sign our prospects to? I'm trying to figure out the most we would have to pay which IMO is necessary unless these guys don't want to play here.

The contracts couldn't be that expensive and at these low levels the differences should be insignificant. There is absolutely no reason JM shouldn't be able to get these guys signed.
There is a rookie max. Frolik is the only one that really should be difficult, but even then he'll get close to the max anyways. The other 2 guys shouldn't really be asking for alot.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
There is a rookie max. Frolik is the only one that really should be difficult, but even then he'll get close to the max anyways. The other 2 guys shouldn't really be asking for alot.
The issue will be over performance incentives which allow the team to compensate him beyond the rookie cap (but they're also capped at some point), and of course whether Frolik might decide he doesn't really want to play in Florida because they're losers (meaning 8 straight years of failure). Hopefully that's not the case and the lack of a deal is just over money.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
The issue will be over performance incentives which allow the team to compensate him beyond the rookie cap (but they're also capped at some point), and of course whether Frolik might decide he doesn't really want to play in Florida because they're losers (meaning 8 straight years of failure). Hopefully that's not the case and the lack of a deal is just over money.
The title of the story should have read "the panthers mediocrity gets an extension." Lets cross our fingers as the guy who failed as a head coach gets to pick his own replacement.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
The title of the story should have read "the panthers mediocrity gets an extension." Lets cross our fingers as the guy who failed as a head coach gets to pick his own replacement.
So you don't think JM did a good job as GM?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I still can't for the life of me figure out what this is supposed to mean.

Old
05-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
I still can't for the life of me figure out what this is supposed to mean.
it means that we've been mediocre since he's been here, and we've accepted that by not only keeping him but extending his contract and allowing him to dicate the future of our franchise by picking our next coach

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
it means that we've been mediocre since he's been here, and we've accepted that by not only keeping him but extending his contract and allowing him to dicate the future of our franchise by picking our next coach
Slick, we've been mediocre for the 8 years before he got here. I'll be the first in line to say we needed a new coach, but he's been a good GM.

I just don't think Martin is going to be bitter as some have suggested and pick some guy that will drive the organization into the ground. His name is attached to whomever comes in to coach. Why would he not want the best guy out there to come in here. I just can't figure out why he'd want anything less.

Old
05-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Slick, we've been mediocre for the 8 years before he got here. I'll be the first in line to say we needed a new coach, but he's been a good GM.

I just don't think Martin is going to be bitter as some have suggested and pick some guy that will drive the organization into the ground. His name is attached to whomever comes in to coach. Why would he not want the best guy out there to come in here. I just can't figure out why he'd want anything less.
I agree. JM's success is going to be dictated by who he picks as coach. Would anyone really think he'd pick someone who he doesn't think would succeed?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:08 PM
FlaPanthers7

I think this is a message to the potential coaching candidates that Martin will be here and attempts to establish more organizational stability in their eyes.

If Martin blows signing Frolik or any of these top guys then it's gonna be really interesting around here!

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Alright, we locked up the best GM in the league for another few years!!! Now that JM knows he will be GM for a long time with the Panthers & now that he can focus only on GM(And not Coach/GM) I predict he will get what this team needs to reach the next level. If you think about it really. Right now, we are a playoff team(Excluding the injuries). If we pick up a scoring winger to play on that top line and IMO a veteran(Gary Roberts type) who can help our young team get over their playoff jeters(From never playing there) we can really make an impact in the playoffs next year.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:20 AM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Alright, we locked up the best GM in the league for another few years!!! Now that JM knows he will be GM for a long time with the Panthers & now that he can focus only on GM(And not Coach/GM) I predict he will get what this team needs to reach the next level. If you think about it really. Right now, we are a playoff team(Excluding the injuries). If we pick up a scoring winger to play on that top line and IMO a veteran(Gary Roberts type) who can help our young team get over their playoff jeters(From never playing there) we can really make an impact in the playoffs next year.
I agree

Of course, we have some players to signe

then, we really need to get that scoring winger, that's the key IMO

we just can't start the next season with guys like Peltonen, Stumpel, McLean or Zednik on the first line with Jokinen

I don't see many good UFA players avaible though

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:59 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
If he simply doesn't want to play here we could easily trade him then, since the other clubs could sign him easily.

Old
05-17-2008, 03:03 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
I would just like to point out that most coaches wouldn't like to take a job where the GM hiring you has 1 year left on his contract, it would be terrible job security since the next GM would want his own guy.

This extention shows any potential coaches that the team is committed to the GM and that he can have a long term future here.

Who knows, maybe the coach has been already picked and they are waiting to make an announcement. ....

.... burns after gold.... maybe.... probably not...

Old
05-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
I agree

Of course, we have some players to signe

then, we really need to get that scoring winger, that's the key IMO

we just can't start the next season with guys like Peltonen, Stumpel, McLean or Zednik on the first line with Jokinen

I don't see many good UFA players avaible though
There are a few out there that would look good playing for us. Hossa would be perfect on a line with Olli, but I think is too expensive for us unless he takes a paycut or Cohen anties up. IMO, Brian Rolston would make a perfect fit here. Or even a David Vyborny. He would be cheaper because he only played about 65 games and his numbers went down last year(He did have 4 straight 20 goal seasons prior to last year). I would prefer Rolston though because he can play different situations(PP,PK) and has more of an offensive upside than Vyborny.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
There are a few out there that would look good playing for us. Hossa would be perfect on a line with Olli, but I think is too expensive for us unless he takes a paycut or Cohen anties up. IMO, Brian Rolston would make a perfect fit here. Or even a David Vyborny. He would be cheaper because he only played about 65 games and his numbers went down last year(He did have 4 straight 20 goal seasons prior to last year). I would prefer Rolston though because he can play different situations(PP,PK) and has more of an offensive upside than Vyborny.
Heard he is not returning to the NHL, already signed a contract to play in Europe.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I think this is a message to the potential coaching candidates that Martin will be here and attempts to establish more organizational stability in their eyes.

If Martin blows signing Frolik or any of these top guys then it's gonna be really interesting around here!
Good post, I agree completely.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote