HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Esposito will make AHL debut tomorrow

Old
05-15-2008, 12:58 AM
dynamo1

vCash: 500
I think Espo I a bit over hyed. And by a bit a mean alot. Time will tell.

dynamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
hydromel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo1 View Post
Wow. Thanks for the insightful comments. I mean it. Thanks a lot. Really.

hydromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
hiptanaka

Quote:
what boggles my mind is why this kid has been so hyped up. I mean, his QMJHL stats arent even close to Maxime Talbot's at the same age. Its absolutely incredible.

hiptanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 03:35 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
what boggles my mind is why this kid has been so hyped up. I mean, his QMJHL stats arent even close to Maxime Talbot's at the same age. Its absolutely incredible.
Born in Montreal, same last name as a couple of HOFs, won the Memorial Cup his rookie year in the Q.

There are plenty of reasons for him to have gotten "the hype", his play over the past couple of seasons has been reason enough to lower expectations.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't make an entirely new thread for this.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
hydromel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Born in Montreal, same last name as a couple of HOFs, won the Memorial Cup his rookie year in the Q.

There are plenty of reasons for him to have gotten "the hype", his play over the past couple of seasons has been reason enough to lower expectations.
Thinking about this and looking back at the 1999 draft (on the rewind thread), it just shows that there are so many intangibles when it comes to trying to predict and pick talent. Finding a future NHL player is by far the exception and not the rule. I think that folks might lose sight of that sometimes.
Fabian Brunnstrom is another prime example of 'hype' and the power of marketing.

hydromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydromel View Post
Fabian Brunnstrom is another prime example of 'hype' and the power of marketing.
I agree about undeserved hype, while it is rare to see a young player have so much success in Europe without being drafted. The Thrashers have to be pleased that Jonas Enlund is having a little less success than Brunnstrom while being about 2 years younger than him. And you see nary a word about Enlund on this site, or on many prospect sites in general.

I also think credit has to go to Brunnstrom's representation. His signing process was an example of an agent doing all the right things to create media buzz about his client.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

I don't know precisely why Esposito has been hyped up, one of the main Culprits was the Montreal Connection. The locals really wanted him drafted by Montreal, so there was much anticipation when he was still around by the time Montreal's pick was up. I was sure Glad Montreal passed over on him, his stats don't justify the hype about him.

Side note, Esposito has been cut from the National Junior squad 3 times.

Edit: Patrick Roy was his head coach in the Q, Roy did alot of the hyping as well.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I think so too.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Players usually get released from ATO's if it becomes obvious that they're not going to be able to contribute to their team. The try out is just that... it's a try out. Carolina did the same thing with Chris Terry who blew up the OHL this year with 100 points and 44 goals. They brought him in and he wasn't conditioned well enough to play in the AHL and they sent him back home to work on it. This is the case more often than not with players from the CHL with rare exception. They called him up, got a look at him, and told him what they wanted him to do better and then sent him back home to work on it without the pressure of being rushed to get into game shape. Take this as the organization getting a feel where Esposito was in his development and more important his level of conditioning and then helping him with the finer points of what he needed to work on. An early training camp, if you will. When he comes back next season they'll evalaute him again to see how seriously he took their concerns and that will go a long way towards what they expect out of him. Plus, those Top 6 or not at all types like Esposito rarely stick during ATO's unless they're quick to adjust. Brandon Sutter is one of the few forwards that I can remember for Carolina that came in during an ATO and actually played.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Avim86

The kid wasn't that overhyped his stats in the Q were decent:
Top 4 of the Remparts in 05-06 ,
Alexander Radulov 1986-07-05 19 R 62 61 91 152 101 23 21 34 55 30
Angelo Esposito 1989-02-20 16 C 57 39 59 98 45 23 6 5 11 4
Mathieu Melanson 1985-08-10 20 R 59 42 44 86 65 23 25 15 40 39
Michal Sersen 1985-12-28 19 D 63 22 57 79 76 23 3 18 21 36

Not that over hyped (not that I'm saying he is some sort of phenom) but his stats still suggest an offensive upside. Alexander Radulov is a beast and he is almost 3 years older then angelo.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:19 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
I don't know precisely why Esposito has been hyped up, one of the main Culprits was the Montreal Connection. The locals really wanted him drafted by Montreal, so there was much anticipation when he was still around by the time Montreal's pick was up. I was sure Glad Montreal passed over on him, his stats don't justify the hype about him.

Side note, Esposito has been cut from the National Junior squad 3 times.

Edit: Patrick Roy was his head coach in the Q, Roy did alot of the hyping as well.
Michael Jordan got cut from his high school's basketball team twice

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 05:32 AM
cws
...in the drink

The best pro scouts have failed more times than they have succeeded. Even the best who can pick the needle from the haystack of hockey players are wrong on a fairly constant basis, regardless of their knowledge and/or how long they have been at it.

They know that very well. They know that it is basically a crap shoot. When you draft young men that have yet to mature, the future outcome is out of everyone's hands. Character is good for every player, but when dealing with someone so young that can change in an instant. The inherent instability of youth makes the entire scouting/drafting process very tenuous (to say the least).

That's why I don't come down like a ton of bricks on any young player if he doesn't perform up to where he was drafted and/or his hype. Hype is a very crappy media-driven device, made mostly to get more viewership (and in the end means absolutely nothing).
I guess the gist of my rant is to lay the F off of these young players. 98% of the time you will be disappointed with them and their progress, because most hockey fans expect too much too soon. It's natural, I suppose. But I'm normally the pretty laid back type, so I have a good bit of patience.

And no, I'm not a hippie. I came from the 70s, not the 60s. The relaxed attitude in not from past experiences, I just find it very effective when dealing with the junk that we all have to put up with today.

cws is offline   Reply With Quote