HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Roenick retire???

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2004, 10:26 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Will Roenick retire???

A question for Flyer fans.

After suffering 10 concusions in his career and his body taking a beating is JR going to call it a career?

Before last nights game he didn't come out and say it but from what I got from it and I may have just mis-read his comments, but he said that this was probably his last chance to win a Stanley Cup.

Philly is too good of a team and Bobby Clarke will pursue other avenues to make this team a contender again next year or after the lock out for it to be the Flyers (this core of players) last chance IMO.

Was JR stating the obvious but not coming out and saying it??? Is he waiting for the Playoffs to end before he says anything or even maybe waiting to see if there will be a lockout??? A year off maybe the rest his body and head needs.

For his health and family I see him retiring much like Steve Young did with the 49ers after his concusion problems.

If he does it opens a lot $'s for the Flyers to get someone else to replace JR.

Thanks for a great career Jeremy!

Sorry about the loss last night to Flyer fans, I was cheering for you last night and everytime you play the Leafs.

Old
05-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Pontifex Maximus*

I highly doubt it. As long as he is good to go (which he surely will be come September - 04 or 06) he'll play.

Old
05-23-2004, 11:39 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
I highly doubt it. As long as he is good to go (which he surely will be come September - 04 or 06) he'll play.
You expecting a 2 year lockout?

Old
05-23-2004, 12:02 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i dont think he will
he may have to change his style a tad

Old
05-23-2004, 12:11 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I don't think he will. He can rest before the World Cup and his body can heal after that.

Old
05-23-2004, 12:29 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I don't think he will, but I think he should. His brain is one hit away from being mush

Old
05-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
You expecting a 2 year lockout?
There is certainly potential for that.

Old
05-23-2004, 12:32 PM
panayiotis

sorry

Who cares? He is done.....

Old
05-23-2004, 12:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
Who cares? He is done.....
I will take whatever JR brings to the table every night over Amonte,Leclair,Zhamnov. I guess people forget the pounding this man took for the team this year. he's over on the bench puking , not 100% and he still goes out and perfomes. anyone who questions JR's heart needs to have their own head checked.

Old
05-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Rex88

I think he will come back for one more year and one more shot with the Flyers.
That said, I think he will ask to stay on a wing to decrease the punishment that he faces night in and out.

Old
05-23-2004, 03:42 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I think that the fire still burns for the game for him to retire. he definetly isn't the player he once was and has probably taken a few steps back from when he first came here. the thing is, the Flyers have to countinue to incorperate youth into their lineup.

I just don't think that we can count on guys like Recchi(even though he had a great year), LeClair(done), Amonte(DONE), Roenick(a shell) anymore. even Zhamnov disappeared as the playoffs progressed. the bad thing is, we can't even move any of these guys because they make to much money.

so, Clarke going to have some tough decisions to make next year. but, I have know doubt that if he makes some more good moves that we could be right back in the thick of things next year.

Old
05-23-2004, 04:21 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
so, Clarke going to have some tough decisions to make next year. but, I have know doubt that if he makes some more good moves that we could be right back in the thick of things next year.
We're doomed...

Old
05-23-2004, 06:21 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69

I just don't think that we can count on guys like Recchi(even though he had a great year), LeClair(done), Amonte(DONE), Roenick(a shell) anymore. even Zhamnov disappeared as the playoffs progressed. the bad thing is, we can't even move any of these guys because they make to much money.
Roenick is gonna 'retire,' but I really believe he won't stay down. He's still in his early 30's, his body still has three or four more productive seasons left in it.

LeClair is a dissapointment, he has some hot streaks in January-March and nothing more, he was great when he was in his prime, but he just can't dominate the NHL like he used to. Amonte had a good regular season, but just completely fell off the map in the playoffs, his playoff season in a nutshell: when he had that open shot in the slot and broke his stick, with maybe five minutes, if it were a guy with some scoring skill, maybe we tie and win the game, you never know. Zhamnov was electric since we got him up until midway thru the TOR series, then dissapeared, his contract is up, he's aging, lets not make the same mistakes we made on Desjardins and LeClair, let him walk. We need to rebuild with younger guys, get a young nucleus of hungry can-do players, give Esche, Pitkanen, Gagne, a few more years to improve, and we'll compete again in 2006. If there's a 2005...maybe, maybe win the division if the dominos fall our way...Jersey, the Isles are on about our level...Rags and Pens have their problems for sure.

Recchi had a great regular season, our leading scorer, I believe he played the whole playoffs with foot problems that he wasn't divulging. I think he and BC will level out a deal and he'll retire a flyer.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Retire or Divorce :mad:

Old
05-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
Recchi had a great regular season, our leading scorer, I believe he played the whole playoffs with foot problems that he wasn't divulging. I think he and BC will level out a deal and he'll retire a flyer.
It would be nice to see Rex back. I mean, he had poor playoffs but a great season. So he's not done yet. If Clarkie can bring him back with a small contract, he could be an excellent mentor on the fourth for Sharp, Carter if he makes the team, etc.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Roenick will be back.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
It would be nice to see Rex back. I mean, he had poor playoffs but a great season. So he's not done yet. If Clarkie can bring him back with a small contract, he could be an excellent mentor on the fourth for Sharp, Carter if he makes the team, etc.

He had a monster regular season and was one of the main reasons we had a power play...I believe he was hurt and I don't think we get him too terribly cheap even after a run down playoff performance. Let's not forget the stomach virus that was slowing him down. Also, I believe he played a full 82 game slate...could be rested more at his age. I know our power play tanked when he slid.

Closed Thread