HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Draft Record Since Tmmins Joined Team

Old
05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It is a very nice list of players, plus like you said. Adding in the players from our last 2 drafts definitely makes for a very interesting future.
LOL I had a Leaf fan say to me today, "who the heck has Montreal drafted lately?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Price, Kostitsyns, Streit, Chips, Grabs, Emelin, J.T, Jaro, O'Byrne

What sleeper picks! This guy is a magician, make some magic happen this draft Houdimmins!
LOL I would not classify Price as a sleeper pick. Surprising to some as first round, but no sleeper for sure

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-14-2008 at 09:17 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
LOL I had a Leaf fan say to me today, "who the heck has Montreal drafted lately?"
To which you should replay, "Do the Leafs have any early round draft picks left?"

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Price, Kostitsyns, Streit, Chips, Grabs, Emelin, J.T, Jaro, O'Byrne

What sleeper picks! This guy is a magician, make some magic happen this draft Houdimmins!
Urquhart?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:45 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
LOL I would not classify Price as a sleeper pick. Surprising to some as first round, but no sleeper for sure
Yea true lol, Was getting alittle ahead of myself but yeah more or less great picks.

By the Way look up Joe Colborne who is projected to be drafted by us, and then compare to what Timmins might draft this season ^_^

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:01 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I think Detroit has had unusual foresight in drafting Europeans. IMO their European scouts are the best in the NHL. Besides Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg the Red Wings have Kronwall, Holmstrom, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Kopecky, and Samuelsson (and not a single Québécois, I may add).
... "and not a single Quebecois"... What's your point ?... Not that they need one, but ???

Pittsburg has Fleury, Dupuis, Talbot, Laraque, Letang + Crosby who's has played in the Q in Rimouski + their head coach, assistant coach and owner... Not a bad team either.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wings are awful as far as quantity of picks in the NHL are concerned.....but they've been a force for the past how many years now because of guys like Lindstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
No contest that the quantity is downright impressive. But I would trade all of our 2003 draft picks for the Philly draft right now even if Philly could end up with only 2 picks in the NHL....
.... Timmins would rank quite up there anyway.
Fair points, but they just remind me that Timmins sure does rank up there. Those picks are rare and spectacular successes. The Detroit 3 are some of the greatest draft steals of all time, and the Carter/Richards year was a very, very rare gem. Sure I'd trade all our picks for Philly's (now that we know to pick Carter and Richards) but not many other teams out-drafted Timmins that year. Or most others. If we came up with a top-five pick somehow, I'd trust Timmins to pick a winner over about 25+ other chief scouts. And nobody's better at consistency right now.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Urquhart?
Just name me one team who never made a mistake like this.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Very good point. Gainey has allowed his players to get chances and flourish in the right levels. Sergei is a good example. He saw the potential and skill in Sergei's game, so he brought him up. Sergei flourished in the role he was given and became a solid contributor to the team the rest of the year and the playoffs. The jury is still out on Latendresse, but I like what he has done with O'byrne, Chipchura, Price, Lapierre and Halak.
Unfortunetly the jury is still out on Lats, O'Bryrne, Chip, Price, Lapierre and Halak. I for one think the Habs accelerated the progression of Lats and Price too soon. It was a GREAT thing that guys like Andrei and Plek stayed a good number of years in the minors. Players should develop in their own time, there's a reason there is a farm club, it makes NHL players out of these guys, it's part of their developement. The Habs do not have guys like Claude Ruelle anymore that would spend times with kids, making them learn their craft. Heck the guy would go the the Juniors and work with these kids of what to do to ameliorate their play.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:24 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I think thats a very fair statement.... I don't mind if we go for a couple of those in the first two rounds this year.... I wouldn't blame Timmons, Gainey etc... if they go for the high risk, potential high reward guy in the draft this year, the system is well stocked depth wise but we need an elite offensive talent, and at 25/55 that surefire offensive talent will not be there... but a high risk, high potential reward offensive talent might be.

We must draft at least a goalie or two in the next 2-3 years. For the rest I'd like us to go offense all the way. Draft the forward with the best skill set available. Preferably big and/or physical (wich is pretty rare). You can work with players the way we did with kosty sr.

Of course you draft defensemen if there is one BIG defenseman that is clearly the BPA. If we could draft like 15-18 skilled forwards in the next 3 years we are pretty sure to get an elite one. Or near elite. at least one of 15-18 drafted players will be a star player if they are in the some mold...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Mr. Hab

There's no doubt that Timmins is a great scout, and we also have to give credit to our North American, European scouts who are not named...

BIG QUESTION:
WHEN WILL TIMMINS BE SIGNED TO A 5 YEAR CONTRACT?!????

What about...

Ben Maxwell
Ryan White

------------------------------
Ryan McDonagh
Max Pacioretty
PK Subban

Yannick Weber
-------------------------------------
Carey Price (2005)
Guillaume Latendresse (2005)
Matt D'Agostini (2005)
Sergei Kostitsyn (2005

Kyle Chipchura (2004, great pick in a bad draft year)
Greg Stewart (2004)
Mark Streit (2004)
Alexei Emelin (no NHL yet, but extremely promising)
JT Wyman (Looked great last season in the NCAA)

Andrei Kostitsyn (2003)
Maxim Lapierre (2003)
Ryan O'Byrne (2003)
Jaroslav Halak (2003)

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Urquhart?
Daigle?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Timmins could draft his little sister and somehow she would become a very good prospect for the NHL!

(Yes; he IS that good!)

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Check out the Habs draft record since Timmins joined

What a GREAT job Timmins had done!!

Overall and certainly compared to previous Hab's scouting staffs Timmons and his staff have have done a good job.

Hope they can get some better forwards!

GO HABS GO

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Imo theres a point where quantity will lead to quality. Drafting quality is often a luck thing. Look at Markov and Plekanec as good examples of that fact. When your consistent at the draft table and get 4 NHL players every year, your bound to get lucky in a big way.

Like in 2005, Sergei Kostitsyn might be a datsyuk quality player, its just to soon to say.

2007, Maxpac looks to be a big steal.
2006, Subban, Maxwell Could develop into big time players.

SOLR,

Excellent point!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Habsrule

I would much rather take quantity over quality. The way that the Habs have been going the last few drafts seems to get three NHLers and I will say three AHLers per draft. When you start to compile numbers like that you have a whole lot of depth. The Habs are now in a situation where they have assets to trade up in the draft and get better picks if need be.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 08:25 PM
jordy

i completely agree with most of the posters on this bored that the habs should start looking into getting a homerun quality first line center or winger. With Koivu and Kovalev getting closer and closer to retirement we need to get someone to replace them. Out of all our picks i only see max-pac having the potential to be a first liner (i never saw maxwell play so i cant comment on him). Maybe during this draft we should try to move up a few spots to get our "homerun" pick. Maybe trade our 25th pick and a mid level prospect (white, carle, grabovski etc) to move up a few spots. I think kyle beech would be ideal but he'll be probally gone by then.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:05 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

Drafting doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. Quantity does not have to come at the expense of quality. I think it's very clear that Timmins has stockpiled an impressive amount of quality picks.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:13 AM
plafleur10

GM's turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
A homerun pick would be great, but...I'm sure Timmins is already balancing the "homerun" pick together with going for the "most solid/low risk" pick, as well.

A good example is last year, when they drafted...
McDonagh
Pacioretty
PK Subban
(2nd round)

Who would have been MORE of a "homerun" pick instead of McDonagh? (1st round pick).

Who would have been MORE of a "homerun" pick instead of Pacioretty? (late 1st round pick).

IMO, Timmins is doing the right thing. I don't know how he does it?!!!! But, he's getting the job done .
In my view, Timmins has done an excellent job.

Homerun-wise, I would say it is the GM's turn to hit one, either via trade or UFA market.

His last two (if you want to be generous and call them homeruns) occured 5 years ago in 2003 with Kovalev and Huet. Time to flex your muscles , Bob!

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
A homerun pick would be great, but...I'm sure Timmins is already balancing the "homerun" pick together with going for the "most solid/low risk" pick, as well.

A good example is last year, when they drafted...
McDonagh
Pacioretty
PK Subban
(2nd round)

Who would have been MORE of a "homerun" pick instead of McDonagh? (1st round pick).

Who would have been MORE of a "homerun" pick instead of Pacioretty? (late 1st round pick).

IMO, Timmins is doing the right thing. I don't know how he does it?!!!! But, he's getting the job done .
BUT... BUT... BUT!!! WE COULD HAVE DRAFTED ESPOSITO

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
i completely agree with most of the posters on this bored that the habs should start looking into getting a homerun quality first line center or winger. With Koivu and Kovalev getting closer and closer to retirement we need to get someone to replace them. Out of all our picks i only see max-pac having the potential to be a first liner (i never saw maxwell play so i cant comment on him). Maybe during this draft we should try to move up a few spots to get our "homerun" pick. Maybe trade our 25th pick and a mid level prospect (white, carle, grabovski etc) to move up a few spots. I think kyle beech would be ideal but he'll be probally gone by then.
We'd probably have to go up to Vancouver's spot (my guess is they can't turn down a potential franchise center with their limited offensive prospect pool) and that would cost so much to get there.
I'd go for later picks with big risk like Petrov (Antropov-like winger), Grachev (top line potential, big question marks) or Joe Colborne (not sold on this guy). Three guys who could develop into big-time players, but who could also never play in the NHL or just be 3rd liners.
Anyways, we need to start thinking about guys with high ceilings because I don't know how much guys will be going from the AHL to the NHL in future years, because we have loads of young guys on the team.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 10:33 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
In my view, Timmins has done an excellent job.

Homerun-wise, I would say it is the GM's turn to hit one, either via trade or UFA market.

His last two (if you want to be generous and call them homeruns) occured 5 years ago in 2003 with Kovalev and Huet. Time to flex your muscles , Bob!
Yeah, maybe he hasn't hit a solo homerun lately.. but he hit a grandslam last year with Hamrlik!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:26 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Going for a Datsyuk, Zetter, Grig, Hudler etc is a Detroit strategy. They UNDERSTAND that talent is required. The Chip, Urquart, Stevensons are NOT first round picks. They are size with a modicum of skill. The Habs historically have gone for the safe picks. This has been their downfall. Speed and talent should be a priority in the early rounds. The Habs have been left with good not huge talent and little size anyway. The Ian Laperierre or an Ethan Moreau can be traded for. A Zetterberg cannot be traded for unless the team is willing to give up the farm

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:38 AM
FrankMTL

I think the issue is that 5 years ago, that habs farm system was not in as good a shape as it is now. We needed some safe but NHL quality prospects. We ended up with a lot of 2nd and 3rd line forwards and some pretty good d-men prospects. We can now afford to take the chance on a high risk high reward prospect. The problem with this is....that if this high risk high reward prospect does not pan out, everybody will criticize Timmins about how he should have picked him or him or him because they were safer players that could have been studs on our team...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:18 PM
mrinsane

Ryan White, Mathieu Carle and maybe Greg Stewart too

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:38 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
... "and not a single Quebecois"... What's your point ?... Not that they need one, but ???

Pittsburg has Fleury, Dupuis, Talbot, Laraque, Letang + Crosby who's has played in the Q in Rimouski + their head coach, assistant coach and owner... Not a bad team either.
His point is that despite the fact you throw around the racist tag for anyone who says anything remotely bad about a french player/prospect and then consistently bash europeans and russians, a team build around europeans can be a contender for the stanley cup.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote