HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Balsillie - Quebec should've its own NHL team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2008, 12:59 PM
  #76
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
For me, hockey wise, it will depends whos in charge etc. But over time, I think i'll switch back to Nords. But hey I always been a fan of both, this won't change.
A Quebec team would be my 2nd favourite team, even with a huge rivalry in place. Although they would fail to match my love for les Habitants.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:00 PM
  #77
potvins4cups
Registered User
 
potvins4cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
lol he failed three times
He didnt fail three times. the nhl screwed him three times. he was willing to pay a substantial amount more for the predators and the nhl stepped in and allowed investors from nashville to buy the team for alot less money. a good example of bettman having his head up his rear.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:05 PM
  #78
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The thing with the merchandise market is that yes maybe not a lot of people are Phoenix fans, but they still appeal to the entire state of Arizona. Same with the two Florida teams. Florida has just over 18 million people, Arizona about 6.5 million. Not to mention surrounding states which don't have hockey but might have fans.

Quebec is a province of over 7 million, but over half of them are Habs fans. And who outside of Quebec would actually cheer for this new team? It's the potential market that scares me. I'm sure the actual Quebec fans will be hardcore fans, but it won't go beyond that group, whereas in the States it's that potential growth of market that attracts businessmen.

I'm sure it would work, but as a business I'm sure you can find larger revenue elsewhere.
Well, I know alot of people (ex-Nords fan) that follow the Habs because if they didn't they wouldn't be able to follow hockey regularly. I'm sure those people would go back to the Nords if they ever come back. Probably that alot of people who don't follow the NHL anymore because the Nords left would come back. Probably that people that have picked Colorado as their team after the Nords departure would come back. With the right marketing probably that most of Eastern Quebec would be Nords fans. I don't really see the market has being a problem. The problem is the same it was 15 years ago, corporate support. With good corporate support a team in Quebec City would do just fine. Without it, forget about it.

If Aubut is involved and a guy like Balsillie shows interest, I have faith it could work. But the biggest problem is the NHL boards of gouvernor and Gary Bettman. Will the Habs ever allow the Nords to return? With all the effort Boivin and co. put to gather all the province around the Habs I doubt they would want Quebec City to have their team back. On the other side, probably that having another team in Canada would increase the revenues which would increase the cap which would make the players happy but small markets owner really pissed off. So let's say it is a REALLY complicated problem.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:18 PM
  #79
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Well, I know alot of people (ex-Nords fan) that follow the Habs because if they didn't they wouldn't be able to follow hockey regularly. I'm sure those people would go back to the Nords if they ever come back. Probably that alot of people who don't follow the NHL anymore because the Nords left would come back. Probably that people that have picked Colorado as their team after the Nords departure would come back. With the right marketing probably that most of Eastern Quebec would be Nords fans. I don't really see the market has being a problem. The problem is the same it was 15 years ago, corporate support. With good corporate support a team in Quebec City would do just fine. Without it, forget about it.

If Aubut is involved and a guy like Balsillie shows interest, I have faith it could work. But the biggest problem is the NHL boards of gouvernor and Gary Bettman. Will the Habs ever allow the Nords to return? With all the effort Boivin and co. put to gather all the province around the Habs I doubt they would want Quebec City to have their team back. On the other side, probably that having another team in Canada would increase the revenues which would increase the cap which would make the players happy but small markets owner really pissed off. So let's say it is a REALLY complicated problem.
Are you crazy? If anything it's good for Montreal to have an inter-provincial rival.. It's worked well for Edmonton-Calgary and Toronto-Ottawa and it worked well enough during the old Habs-Nords era. It's very good business, especially for the cities (fans going back and forth, going to restaurants, bars, etc).

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
  #80
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
I agree. I'm sure the Canadiens want a team in Quebec City. We've seen the kind of attention the Habs can generate in the playoffs these days - imagine a Montreal - Quebec series. It would be incredible. Plus, the demand for the tickets/luxury boxes is so high in Montreal, there's no way they'd lose revenue. I mean all the tickets for the entire season are sold out in a couple of hours (the affordable ones at least). And they have a waiting list for season tickets.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 05:43 PM
  #81
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
so old nordiques fans?

if quebec gets a team, are you a hab fan or a nordique fan?
even when the Nordiques were here I was a Habs fan. If a team came to Quebec I'd remain a Habs fan but I'd go watch the games like I did when the Nordiques were here.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 06:27 PM
  #82
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Are you crazy? If anything it's good for Montreal to have an inter-provincial rival.. It's worked well for Edmonton-Calgary and Toronto-Ottawa and it worked well enough during the old Habs-Nords era. It's very good business, especially for the cities (fans going back and forth, going to restaurants, bars, etc).
According to Mr.Michel Bergeron, it would also force the Habs to draft a lot more quebecers. It does make some sense, Mtl could potentially lose some fans if Qc started having a good team made of a lot of Quebecers.

Personally, i used to love the Nords, but it was mainly thanks to Joe Sakic, the best.
If Qc turned out to be an expansion team or a relocated team, I don't think id switch back to them.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 07:10 PM
  #83
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
According to Mr.Michel Bergeron, it would also force the Habs to draft a lot more quebecers. It does make some sense, Mtl could potentially lose some fans if Qc started having a good team made of a lot of Quebecers.
Personally, i used to love the Nords, but it was mainly thanks to Joe Sakic, the best.
If Qc turned out to be an expansion team or a relocated team, I don't think id switch back to them.
Competition is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. And frankly the Habs *should* be doing a better job scouting in their own backyard..

Considering we are probably the largest or second largest fanbase in the NHL, i think we could afford to lose a few fans and not make too much of a dent anyways. Alot of these fans we'd lose are probably the ones that come on here, always talking negatively about the Habs but claim to be fans.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:44 PM
  #84
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 104,039
vCash: 340
I am not against Bahsille getting a NHL team for QC or Ham. But i dont like the idea of a city and its fans losing there team. If Mr Basille wants a NHL team then he needs to build an Arena in QC and apply for expansion.

Next expansion can be Houston and Quebec City. Canada gains another franchise while expansion into the US south continues. Houston has a great rich hockey history and is the largest untapped American market for the NHL.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
  #85
Levizk
Registered User
 
Levizk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monroeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
He didnt fail three times. the nhl screwed him three times. he was willing to pay a substantial amount more for the predators and the nhl stepped in and allowed investors from nashville to buy the team for alot less money. a good example of bettman having his head up his rear.
Actually that's completely false. Lemieux didn't want to sell the franchise to him unless he'd agree to make an honest effort to keep the team in Pittsburgh, and when the league wanted to hold him to that promise he wouldn't sign the papers. Lemieux got tired of the guy and told him to forget the deal and is now extremely happy he did so. The Nashville deal was done, all he had to do was sign a letter stating that he and Leopold had a deal to be submitted to the board of governors. Jim wouldn't sign the letter and so Leopold finally found someone else who would because he wanted to get his money and move on quickly so he could buy Minnesota. The Buffalo deal he was just told to get lost, not sure where the league even interacts in that situation.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:58 AM
  #86
bodybreak
We're Back!
 
bodybreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
Merchandise money goes in to one big pot and is evenly split among the teams, no? Putting a team in QC would be great for the league in that perspective. Even the idea of a possible return must have the NHL grinning somewhat.

For the past 5 or 6 years, after talk of the Jets coming back started, Winnipeg has done its fair share contributing to the merch pot, and we don't even have a team. It seems like the sheer amount of Jets stuff for sale is higher than when the team was here. You should see this place at Christmas. You can't set foot in a mall without seeing one of those temporary kiosks just stacked with Jets gear.

I'm convinced that the boon was used to sell off some old merchandise left over from 1996. I bought a jacket with a rel 90s feel to it, and later discovered there were no NHL vintage tags or markings on it anywhere, which all the newer stuff has. It looked like something you'd see the trainers wearing.

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
  #87
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu21 View Post
He wants to bring a franchise in Hamilton. But if he does, Toronto would want one too.

Seriously, I'd love to see it happen. I live in Quebec City. Hamilton isn't nearly as large of a market as here, which gives me hope. Winnipeg has the edge right now with its arena, but if Bals does want to finance one here, I'll be extremely happy.
The Hamilton market is actually pretty huge. It would encompass an area including it's own 400k population as well as area cities like Kitchener waterloo, London, Cambridge, Guelph, St Catherines, Brantford, etc. In total there would be a population to draw on approaching 2 million within an hour drive. You'd be surprised how many folks would be interested in seasons tickets

The problem with Hamilton is: 1. Territorial rights and 2. a new arena is needed eventually , and 3. Balsillie acted like an idiot in his plan to put a team there

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
  #88
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Ridiculous, now I understand why the NHL won't let this guy in.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:13 PM
  #89
CTHabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
If it were not for the French factor, I wouldn't mind seeing a team in Quebec City. The problem with having Quebec around was that the two teams always had to "out French" each other. Other teams knew that they could get more when trading a French player by getting the Habs and Nodicks bid against each other. There was also considerable pressure to draft a kid based on his being Quebecois, rather than being the best player available. Remember last years' draft with Angelo Esposito and the crap that the Canadiens took for not drafting him? Imagine if he were French and there was another team in the province?

Ten days 'til the beer festival at Windsor Station!

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 02:12 PM
  #90
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
If it were not for the French factor, I wouldn't mind seeing a team in Quebec City. The problem with having Quebec around was that the two teams always had to "out French" each other. Other teams knew that they could get more when trading a French player by getting the Habs and Nodicks bid against each other. There was also considerable pressure to draft a kid based on his being Quebecois, rather than being the best player available. Remember last years' draft with Angelo Esposito and the crap that the Canadiens took for not drafting him? Imagine if he were French and there was another team in the province?

Ten days 'til the beer festival at Windsor Station!
Well, that other team in the Province would look quite foolish today seeing as Esposito isnt even a shoe in to make it to the NHL.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:10 PM
  #91
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
If it were not for the French factor, I wouldn't mind seeing a team in Quebec City. The problem with having Quebec around was that the two teams always had to "out French" each other. Other teams knew that they could get more when trading a French player by getting the Habs and Nodicks bid against each other. There was also considerable pressure to draft a kid based on his being Quebecois, rather than being the best player available. Remember last years' draft with Angelo Esposito and the crap that the Canadiens took for not drafting him? Imagine if he were French and there was another team in the province?

Ten days 'til the beer festival at Windsor Station!
To get Angelo the Habs would have had to use their #12 draft position and forfeit their chance to select McDonagh. Timmins would rather have amputated his left thumb than blow that pick on Angelo, and Gainey supported him.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:13 PM
  #92
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Belgium beer owners (Labbatt) will not get involved in financing a team in any way.... They have made it very clear they want nothing to do with the Sports business.
Labatt had a very expensive naming rights deal for the Expos new stadium before Loria sabotaged it...I think it was around $100 million over 20 years.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:17 PM
  #93
Dark4ng3l
Registered User
 
Dark4ng3l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Yeah if the Nords start picking all the french prospects and they end up with a team full of 3rd liners at best who get destroyed every game by the 50% euro/50% english habs that they would probably cut the bs and start drafting the best quality players available.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:27 PM
  #94
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Labatt had a very expensive naming rights deal for the Expos new stadium before Loria sabotaged it...I think it was around $100 million over 20 years.
Was that before or after they did everything in their power to sell the blue jays....

Molson and Labatt's business philosophies have changed in recent years... now they are solely concentrated on brewing and selling beer... Sure they will advertise on TV during hockey games... but owning and financing teams is not gonna happen anymore under their current management philosophies.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:32 PM
  #95
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
Yeah if the Nords start picking all the french prospects and they end up with a team full of 3rd liners at best who get destroyed every game by the 50% euro/50% english habs that they would probably cut the bs and start drafting the best quality players available.
They used to do that. They had players named Sundin, Sakic, Stastny, and Hunter as well as Goulet.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:42 AM
  #96
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I really don't think this concept of casino will ever work. It creates to many imbalances(the habs will ask for something in return etc) and Loto Quebec will forever say no because it would be way to politically damaging(casino paying player salaries etc). The only chance that a Casino-Colisée would work is on Wendake lands. The problem with any wendake project is location.

All that being said, theres absolutely no need for a casino. Just the shows at this new colisée will make enough money to counterbalances any losses.(Like at the Bell center)

Enough talk about Red Bull, theres many companies, including canadians ones that could do this all alone. Investors are there, at this point a simple spark is needed for something to happen imo.
I don't agree: I don't see any problems with a casino if it's to build an arena. Habs already have their own arena and they got help from the FTQ to help the sell to Gillet. Either way it would hurt their public image to whine about it, since they would be an obstacle to the Nords getting a team.

And Loto-Quebec doesn't own the Goverments and have no decision-power whatsoever. If the Quebec Goverment there's nothing Loto-Quebec can do about it.

As for the other guy that mentioned that Labatt said they were not interested in sport well first that remain to be seen. Second, they are not the only "other company" in existance. Third, a deal could be reached wheras the new arena would only be selling Labatt beer and stuff like that.

All in all we would have to have a solid leader to take command of this progect to make sure it succeeds. Finding the right partners, selling the idea of it to the goverments, bringing in the right owners, etc...Aubut has a drive like no others, maybe he could do it. The actual mayor is a pretty good guy too.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:45 AM
  #97
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
Yeah if the Nords start picking all the french prospects and they end up with a team full of 3rd liners at best who get destroyed every game by the 50% euro/50% english habs that they would probably cut the bs and start drafting the best quality players available.
To be honest, I hear no fewer complaints about the ethnic components of the team in Montreal than I heard about Quebec when I was a Nords fan.

Dale Hunter and Peter Stastny were loved in Quebec.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:55 AM
  #98
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Bettman also did everything humainly possible to ensure Pittsburg didn't get relocated, where was this enthusiasm when the Nords/Jets folded?
Bettman said to Aubut:"get the Hell out of there" when he heard the deal that Parizeau and the provincial goverment were offering. Wich was not so bad. Parizeau was offering the owners of the Nords for the goverment to buy a part of the team. And then managing it his way without thinking about getting a new arena right away. Parizeau is a financial wizard and in his mind he thought he could make the team successful and financialy viable for a while with the same arena. Because most people felt that part-Nords owner Marcel Aubut was a charlatan and he and Bettman were were making out things worst than they were. So Parizeau was like:"let me handle it, i'll make it work". And who knows, maybe he was right.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:00 AM
  #99
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
To be honest, I hear no fewer complaints about the ethnic components of the team in Montreal than I heard about Quebec when I was a Nords fan.

Dale Hunter and Peter Stastny were loved in Quebec.
I think the Nordques never had a problem with their identity mainly because most of their citizens speak french. Quebec is not afraid to lose their language. The problem always stems from Montreal, the supposed to be cosmopolitan city with different culutures and languages. It's there that the french go parano and go nuts politicaly, it's there that the press throw fit to have french players.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:25 AM
  #100
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I think the Nordques never had a problem with their identity mainly because most of their citizens speak french. Quebec is not afraid to lose their language. The problem always stems from Montreal, the supposed to be cosmopolitan city with different culutures and languages. It's there that the french go parano and go nuts politicaly, it's there that the press throw fit to have french players.
Yeah, I always thought Quebec was more secure about it than Montreal; I was being kinder earlier because I didn't want to start **** here.

There's no controversy in Quebec; it is a French city, end of story, and there wasn't really any debate or insecurity about it. It isn't like Montreal, where the majority of the citizens can at least understand some English; Quebec is monolingual on a large scale and it's pretty tough to get around and enjoy the city without knowing passable French.

As for Montreal...they will never lose their language and I don't know why people worry about it. French is still by far the most understood language in the city, and Montreal has always had an English contingent. Anyone remember the Maroons? Montreal has never been, to my knowledge, a mostly French-only city like Quebec.

Montreal's a fast-paced, large, traffic-filled, cosmopolitan city. Quebec's much quieter and more provincial, and I don't mean that to insult either place because they're both great cities. But they are certainly as hell pretty damn different. If they were similar, they wouldn't have had as big a rivalry as they did, IMO.

EDIT: I should mention that if Quebec ever gets another team, they will instantly become my second-favorites, supplanting Montreal and Pittsburgh in the process. I can't turn down a Quebec team since I once liked the NHL team there more than any other. The new avatar is a hodgepodge of my history as a hockey fan; one of my favorite players on what used to be my favorite team, scoring against my favorite team presently.


Last edited by Transported Upstater: 05-19-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.