HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Morozov

Old
05-17-2008, 02:09 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Alexei Morozov

Anyone else interested? I think the new NHL is tailor made to his style and I think he could be downright nasty with guys like Gomez and Drury.

I'm sure he's going to be wanting around 4M or so at the least to sign, but if you ask me, he's worth every penny of it. Rather have him than Hossa right now to be honest.

The best thing with him is that if he doesn't work, we can simply send him to Hartford. He'd likely bolt back to Russia and we can simply suspend him and be off the hook for his salary.

It's one of the good things about the lack of a transfer agreement right now.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Synergy27

Really Jon?

No way.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:14 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Really Jon?

No way.
For what reason?

In the old NHL, I can definitely agree.

But these high skill players like Morozov have the room to create and to do their magic.

I mean, if you've seen some international clips of him or clips of him playing in Russia, you'd change your mind I think.

No idea why you wouldn't want to take a flyer on him because, as I said, he'd likely be easy to get rid of if you sent him to Hartford as he can simply go back to Russia if he didn't work out. It's not like you'd be on the hook for his salary if he simply fails.

It's a no-lose scenario.

I'd really like to hear one good reason not to take a chance on him.

Old
05-17-2008, 02:17 PM
frozenrubber

In watching Morozov recently, he seems like a much more dynamic player than the one who left NA. Unfortuantely, w/ being the biggest star in Russia, the type of money to bring him to the US would be prohibitive thus he's really not an option.

The only players you could lure back over from Russia & Europe would be the 2nd tier stars like Weinhandl, and I have no interest there.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:17 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

His last 2 years, in the clutch and grab era at its fullest, in Pittsburgh he was a 50 point player (and that's without playing full seasons in either).

He's been well, well over a PPG in Russia.

No idea why anyone would say "no" to taking a chance on the guy.

Re-sign Jagr. Sign Morozov. See how it works out.

Old
05-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Cherepanov 71

Didn't we offer Morozov a contract a couple of years ago and he declined?

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:21 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
His last 2 years, in the clutch and grab era at its fullest, in Pittsburgh he was a 50 point player (and that's without playing full seasons in either).

He's been well, well over a PPG in Russia.

No idea why anyone would say "no" to taking a chance on the guy.

Re-sign Jagr. Sign Morozov. See how it works out.
Do you think you can lure over the biggest player in the current RSL, who is native to Russia, back to the US for anything below 5 million? I don't. Not knocking the guy, knocking the numbers of feasibility.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
For what reason?
Well, I personally don't think Morozov plays the kind of game that wins Stanley Cups. I'm looking at the possible departure of Jagr as a real chance for this team to establish a gritty, north-south NA style game that is better suited for success in the playoffs.

Morozov is highly skilled, no doubt, and his numbers in the RSL are extremely impressive, but even if I thought it would be possible to lure him over here for medium money (which I don't) I don't think he is the kind of player the Rangers should be looking to add at the moment.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:39 PM
fizban

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Well, I personally don't think Morozov plays the kind of game that wins Stanley Cups. I'm looking at the possible departure of Jagr as a real chance for this team to establish a gritty, north-south NA style game that is better suited for success in the playoffs.

Morozov is highly skilled, no doubt, and his numbers in the RSL are extremely impressive, but even if I thought it would be possible to lure him over here for medium money (which I don't) I don't think he is the kind of player the Rangers should be looking to add at the moment.
Morozov has gained about 20 pounds since leaving the NHL. He has shown a willingness to take abuse to get to the net in some of the RSL games I've seen. The Morozov that is lighting up the RSL isn't the same Morozov that left. He'd be better suited to the NHL than I think a lot of people realize. I think he could be lured back for $4 or $5 million.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

He's a complimentary perimeter that's not worth the money he's going to want to jump back to the NHL.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
DutchShamrock

See, I don't think the NHL now is all that wide open. They may call more hooks and holds, but they ignore most of the other stuff... namly interference. I just don't see guys thriving in the 'openness'. Granted I haven't seen any clips (which aren't exactly applicable to the NHL) but it seems like the guys thriving now are the one's that can stickhandle in traffic because you get alot of calls. Maybe that's Morozov's game, but I'd to see him here before I am convinced.

Now none of that really goes against Jon's point that it's a no-lose propostion. I just think we need to be careful with our assesment of the current NHL. My other concern is how his still meshes with our current direction. I don't see much success with the east-west system (pit is the exception but they have the tremendous talent needed to pull it off).

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:55 PM
fizban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
He's a complimentary perimeter that's not worth the money he's going to want to jump back to the NHL.
A lot of people say that, but you are all just pulling it out of your collective *****. He left the NHL and I think it's pretty obvious that he has taken his game to a new level since leaving. Nobody knows if he'd be a star upon returning, or if he'd be "a complimentary perimeter". Why people state conclusively and decisively that he'll be one or the other is beyond me.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 03:29 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Do you think you can lure over the biggest player in the current RSL, who is native to Russia, back to the US for anything below 5 million? I don't. Not knocking the guy, knocking the numbers of feasibility.
I'm totally fine with 5M for him as well. Especially if we can get Jagr for around 5M. That would be a formidable first line with either Dubinsky or Gomez centering it. Morozov is ONLY 31 years old.

He's not an ancient player at all.

Old
05-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

hes not leaving russia

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 03:56 PM
NYR Viper

i would rather pay him than pay someone like malone or huselius 4-5 million

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Anyone else interested? I think the new NHL is tailor made to his style and I think he could be downright nasty with guys like Gomez and Drury.

I'm sure he's going to be wanting around 4M or so at the least to sign, but if you ask me, he's worth every penny of it. Rather have him than Hossa right now to be honest.

The best thing with him is that if he doesn't work, we can simply send him to Hartford. He'd likely bolt back to Russia and we can simply suspend him and be off the hook for his salary.

It's one of the good things about the lack of a transfer agreement right now.
Really? Hossa is a terrific defensive player, not to mention more skilled on offense than Morozov. I suppose it's a matter of salary?

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:10 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i would rather pay him than pay someone like malone or huselius 4-5 million
MALONE?

Yuck.

Forget that crap.

Old
05-17-2008, 04:16 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
MALONE?

Yuck.

Forget that crap.
If Malone doesn't spend majority of the last 2 years playing with Malkin, Crosby and Gonchar then nobody gives a **** about him. He's going to be well overpaid and for nothing. We need flashy guys who can finish. That's why I'm interested in Huselius. Morozov would be interesting, but who knows if he even wants to come to America and what his cost would be.If, like you suggested, he would sign at 4-5.5 mill, then I would be all over it.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Unk

I don't see whats so terrible about signing him. With the FA pool being kind've weak, a lot of holes as wing to fill, and not much cap space, the team is going to need to be creative. Sometimes you've gotta take chances on players no team wants.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban View Post
A lot of people say that, but you are all just pulling it out of your collective *****. He left the NHL and I think it's pretty obvious that he has taken his game to a new level since leaving. Nobody knows if he'd be a star upon returning, or if he'd be "a complimentary perimeter". Why people state conclusively and decisively that he'll be one or the other is beyond me.
He has certainly looked good in the International games as well as the RSL, however the ice is bigger, he has more room to create, etc. Don't get me wrong, he's got world class talent, but he was pretty much invisible in Pittsburgh for most of his years until the last two and even then he had a stretch of 30+ games without a goal. Smaller ice and guys willing to hit a lot more could be his down-fall. I kind of want to see what he'd do with the Pens again but his price tag would be too high for a risky signing. I do agree with the previous poster that he is a perimeter player though...he rarely drove to the net and hung around the face-off circles more often than not. When he skated with Lemieux he started to drive to the net more but not by much.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast View Post
He has certainly looked good in the International games as well as the RSL, however the ice is bigger, he has more room to create, etc. Don't get me wrong, he's got world class talent, but he was pretty much invisible in Pittsburgh for most of his years until the last two and even then he had a stretch of 30+ games without a goal. Smaller ice and guys willing to hit a lot more could be his down-fall. I kind of want to see what he'd do with the Pens again but his price tag would be too high for a risky signing. I do agree with the previous poster that he is a perimeter player though...he rarely drove to the net and hung around the face-off circles more often than not. When he skated with Lemieux he started to drive to the net more but not by much.
No he doesnt. He doesnt even have NHL talent.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
No he doesnt. He doesnt even have NHL talent.
You don't score 50 points in the NHL without having NHL talent. Doofus.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
You don't score 50 points in the NHL without having NHL talent. Doofus.
When you play with MARIO and Kovalev you do. Doofus.

Oh I am sorry, you never heard of
Rob Brown
Bob Errery
Wendal Young

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Why not? Because Brad Isbister has had a better NHL career than Morozov. If he came back to the NHL yea he'd probably easily put up 50pts, but he'd still be considered an underachiever and not a real difference maker for the money he'd command.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
When you play with MARIO and Kovalev you do. Doofus.

Oh I am sorry, you never heard of
Rob Brown
Bob Errery
Wendal Young
So are you saying those three didn't have NHL talent in your books?

That coupled with your comment on Morozov has let us all know that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote