HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Possible racisim at CKAC 730

Old
05-16-2008, 05:34 PM
superstar436

vCash: 500
OT: Possible racisim at CKAC 730

Good evening,

I just came home and when I put on the radio the channel was ckac 730 which should be called chorus sport now if I am not mistaken. Anyway, I heard this registered announcement or notice by some serious man (not a show hoster on the channel) saying that CKAC made broke some CRTC # xyzlaw by making racist comments towards Arabs, blacks....( 3 other origins were mentioned) and some other stuff . It was not one of the showman in their.

what happened. Can someone brief me

Last edited by superstar436: 05-16-2008 at 07:05 PM.
superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Stephen Locke*

Please elaborate or post a link.

It seems to be a weird scandal though.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Clumsyhab

It's probably on "Bonjour La Nuit" (after Bonsoir les Sportifs) when they have stupid racist callers saying all immigrants are on "Bien-être social" and those who work are stealing jobs.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
It's probably on "Bonjour La Nuit" (after Bonsoir les Sportifs) when they have stupid racist callers saying all immigrants are on''Bien-etre social and those who work are stealing jobs
The stupidity of these statements is quite ironic

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

It could also stem from comments made before the station was converted to an all-sports station.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
It could also stem from comments made before the station was converted to an all-sports station.
yah well it is the first time I here that notice or announcement. It said CKAC, does it exist anymore

Old
05-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Le Slow Poke*

It was a more than likely a "mistake".

I bought a home 2 years ago and would like to let you all know that the cultural stigma base "proprerty value" is not worth a poop... Really! WE LOVE IT!

I can NOT wait till our kids go to school! They should learn a lot

Le Slow Poke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Who cares about racist comments on a local radio station? We have Don Cherry doing those kind of comments every 2-3 weeks on National TV and for years now! Lets not be hypocrits here... the guy on the radio heard it on TV so he may feel entitled to do like Cherry does.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Who cares about racist comments on a local radio station? We have Don Cherry doing those kind of comments every 2-3 weeks on National TV and for years now! Lets not be hypocrits here... the guy on the radio heard it on TV so he may feel entitled to do like Cherry does.
You should care about racist comments on a local radio station. Your explanation for why he said it amounts to a lame excuse. Besides, Don Cherry hasn't gone quite that far in anything he ever said on TV.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 08:20 PM
superstar436

we should all care about racisim whether it is local or not, but I was just wondering what happened in that specific case coz

Old
05-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
You should care about racist comments on a local radio station. Your explanation for why he said it amounts to a lame excuse. Besides, Don Cherry hasn't gone quite that far in anything he ever said on TV.
Youre defending Don Cherry and his racist comments against Europeans and Quebecers...?

Old
05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Philanthropist

Quote:
Youre defending Don Cherry and his racist comments against Europeans and Quebecers...?
french canadian visor wearers

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I'm not defending Cherry here by any means cause some of the things he has said over the years have been wrong.....

But there are degrees of wrongness too, and what was allegedly said about these Arabs, Blacks, etc... is far worse than what Cherry has said about Europeans and French-Canadians....

Both people are wrong, but there are degrees to it and the alleged comments on CKAC are worse.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 09:58 PM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
he Canadian Broadcast Standards Council today released its decision concerning six October 2006 episodes of the former open-line talk show Doc Mailloux which aired on CKAC (Montreal). On the talk show (then broadcast from 1:00 to 4:00 pm weekdays), the hosts and callers discussed topics related to psychology, sociology and similar disciplines.

Due to the nature of the program and its focus on human relationships, issues of sexuality frequently entered into the conversations. Callers talked about their sex lives or sexual abuses they had suffered in the past. Host Mailloux frequently encouraged extremely detailed descriptions of these encounters. The Panel found that this content violated Clause 9(b) of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' (CAB) Code of Ethics, which prohibits sexually explicit dialogue on radio at times of day when children could be listening. The Panel pointed out that "it is the time of day, and not the sexual substance of the discussion, that is at issue."

The host also frequently used words that are commonly considered coarse. The Quebec Panel found in particular, that the use of the English f-word and francized versions of it, as well as French religious epithets contravened Clause 9(c) of the CAB Code of Ethics, which prohibits airing such language at times of day when children could be listening.

A third recurring problem with the challenged episodes was the host's comments about both men and women. He consistently described women in abusive and degrading terms and made corresponding generalizations. He also used disdainful and degrading language about any male who was attentive or willing to care for children. The Panel found that the cumulative effect of such comments constituted breaches of both the Human Rights Clause of the CAB Code of Ethics and the article of the CAB Sex-Role Portrayal Code prohibiting degrading comments made on the basis of gender.

Mailloux was also abusive towards different racial or ethnic groups, including Maghrebins, Arabs, Central Americans, African Blacks, Russians and Japanese. The Panel noted that these comments were clearly in violation of Clause 2 of the CAB Code of Ethics, which prohibits abusive or unduly discriminatory comments on the basis of race, colour, and national or ethnic origin.

The CBSC acknowledged that, although the aforementioned breaches had been recurring problems on Doc Mailloux, CKAC's parent company Corus Entertainment had implemented strong measures to prevent such problems in future and that Doc Mailloux was no longer on the air.
link:http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/i...issue=05152008

As for Mailloux being worst then Don Cherry.. not in my book atleast, both are idiots that should be jailed, that you say things outloud publicly once like mailloux did or that you are and act like a racist for YEARS on National Television with subtle clown comments there and there.. No difference sorry.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:01 PM
SOLR

When will people learn.

We need workers. Badly. More immigration not less.

It's too bad this is going on the radio.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
As for Mailloux being worst then Don Cherry.. not in my book atleast, both are idiots that should be jailed, that you say things outloud publicly once like mailloux did or that you are and act like a racist for YEARS on National Television with subtle clown comments there and there.. No difference sorry.
Yes sir: well said!

Old
05-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Mustafa*

I heard it too, they clearly said it was Doc Mailloux, wich haven't been seen around since a year or so.

"J'ai rien contre les noirs, y'en a un qui m'a apportées des prunes la semaine passée" Dixit Mailloux

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:51 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
french canadian visor wearers
It's not like Iginla and Phaneuf, two good "Canadian boys" would wear visors...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Has nothing to do with current CKAC Sports I see.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 03:49 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
When will people learn.

We need workers. Badly. More immigration not less.

It's too bad this is going on the radio.
I noticed when I was in Montreal that there was a huge, huge demand for programmers of web-based technologies. Tampa... I can barely find a job.

I think i'll be moving in with my girl in Montreal soon!

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Corey

Quote:
No, friend, I'm not defending Don Cherry. I wince at his comments. I'm saying there are still worse bigots, such as the one cited in this thread. So please don't equate that with defending Cherry.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
...Besides, Don Cherry hasn't gone quite that far in anything he ever said on TV.
He hasnt gone that far huh?

- at the Winter Olympics he took a cheap shot at Canada's opening ceremonies flag-bearer, 1994 Olympic gold medallist Jean-Luc Brassard, calling him "a French guy, some skier nobody knows about."

- he said that players such as the "Europeans and French guys" were "turning into sucks" for wearing visors on their helmets to protect their eyes.

- he's made anti-Ukrainian remarks in the past as well, even though his new wife is of Ukrainian descent.

- CBC once put him on a 7 second delay so that they could cut him off if he did anymore of his remark and you dont think that was proof enough of a TV show protecting themselves from Cherry's comments?

What Mailloux said was local and reprehensible; what Cherry said was on National TV with all the kids who were watching thinking its ok to put down people of French , Ukrainian and/or European origins.

Sure it must be ok think the young kid: its on HNIC and he keeps on saying those things

Old
05-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Net Paulie View Post
I noticed when I was in Montreal that there was a huge, huge demand for programmers of web-based technologies. Tampa... I can barely find a job.

Welcome!

I know for a fact that the province welcomes Americans with open arms.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Net Paulie View Post

Enjoy the weather.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 09:07 PM
flappuck

Quote:
He hasnt gone that far huh?

- at the Winter Olympics he took a cheap shot at Canada's opening ceremonies flag-bearer, 1994 Olympic gold medallist Jean-Luc Brassard, calling him "a French guy, some skier nobody knows about."

- he said that players such as the "Europeans and French guys" were "turning into sucks" for wearing visors on their helmets to protect their eyes.
Well, not like he was very well known outside Quebec.

What a lot of people in Quebec don't seem to understand is that he represents English Canada which unless you've been living under a rock for your entire life doesn't exactly see things the same way people in Quebec do.

As far as his comments on guys wearing visors, I'm sorry to say this but I've heard so many people in this country talk about how stupid the Americans are that I don't see why you'd get offended when someone here puts all Europeans or French Canadians in the same boat.

Cherry is there to entertain and get ratings and he's doing a good job about it.
Don't hear much complaining about 110%'s racism galore that is on display not once a week but five times a week. But it's ok because they don't ***** about Quebec players...
Had Cherry never said anything against French Canadians, no one here would give a ****.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote