HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr/Rangers to Begin Contract Negotiations Next Week -- Sather after Joni Pitkanen

Old
05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Sorry, but those three guys are not going to replace what Roz and Straka bring the team. Malone and Ryder are getting way too much love on this board. Orpik is good, but he's not the top pairing D that's needed. If Roz goes, then Pitkanen is the ideal replacement. He's better, actually.

Following the flow of this thread, I'd be absolutely thrilled if Pitkanen and Carter made their way into town.
I don't think anyone is saying Orpik is going to be a top-pairing d-man. He's a hard hitter that we need on our blue line.

Replace Rozsival with Pitkanen and Straka with Rolston. That's a slight improvement, assuming Rolston plays on the second line with Gomez.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Isn't Staal also an offensive defenseman?
Staal seems very versatile... He is solid everywhere.
I think if he develops nicely and reaches his full potential he could be a chris pronger type...he just needs to put on some more weight.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:22 AM
eco's bones

Pitkanen has not earned a huge contract--there's no doubt that the talent is there. Giving him that much money would be a gamble that he will make the step to become an elite player. A question--would it be more worthwhile giving him $5 mil a year than say Roszival?--I would say yes dependent on what we gave up for him (not Tyutin or Girardi)--but the point may be moot because it will have to all fit into the rest of our summers plans which will revolve around what Jagr does. I would rather gamble on a much younger player reaching his potential than a middle aged player who has reached his plateau which is a tad short of stardom.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:27 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Isn't Staal also an offensive defenseman?
what? Hes as defensive as a defensive defenseman can get. He had 2 goals and like 8 assists this year. Id hardly call him an offensive minded defenseman at all. Though I do think he has some offensive ability and will show more production in the future. But to answer your question hes the opposite of offensive.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Good news about Jagr. Hopefully a deal gets done soon. I'd welcome Straka back for no more than a $2 million dollar deal a la Shanahan's deal last season.

Pitkanen is someone that really intrigues me. He is still only in his mid twenties, and I only see him getting better. Would he be worth $5 million per year for say, 5 years? I say definitely yes. However, it is the matter in which we get him that will determine my feelings about the deal. If he can be had for a fair price, and Rozsival isn't back next year, I'd welcome the deal. A Pitkanen-Staal pairing for the next 5-7 years would be fearsome.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:28 AM
mattihp

vCash: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
what? Hes as defensive as a defensive as a defenseman can get. He had 2 goals and like 8 assists this year. Id hardly call him an offensive minded defenseman at all. Though I do think he has some offensive ability and will show more production in the future. But to answer your question hes the opposite of offensive.
Thanks. I don't really watch junior leagues, and when I hear people here talking about him it seems all they mention is his offensive capability.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:31 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Thanks. I don't really watch junior leagues, and when I hear people here talking about him it seems all they mention is his offensive capability.
hah no problem man. And your probably referring to when people are talking about him a lot of ranger fans will defend staals ability to score as underrated. He is very versatile as someone has said, but his main objective game in and game out is to shut down the other teams top guns.

Edit: Also Staal is no longer in juniors and played the entire ranger season this year inculding the playoffs.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:41 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I think Staal's offensive output will rise gradually over the next few years. As the season went on, he was much more confident in his own end and willing to take offensive chances. Now he needs to start converting more. I can easily see him being a 10-30-40 defenseman in the future.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:42 AM
ThirdEye

I think Staal has a lot more offensive ability than most have heard. You probably won't see it until 2-3 years down the road though, because he realizes that defense comes first. He's no Phaneuf, but I can see him putting up 30-40 points in a few years. He's shown decent playmaking ability towards the end of the season, and he has a heavy-type shot that will lead to more than a few rebound goals in the future I think.

I haven't seen Pitkanen enough to really give my opinion.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:43 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Good news about Jagr. Hopefully a deal gets done soon. I'd welcome Straka back for no more than a $2 million dollar deal a la Shanahan's deal last season.

Pitkanen is someone that really intrigues me. He is still only in his mid twenties, and I only see him getting better. Would he be worth $5 million per year for say, 5 years? I say definitely yes. However, it is the matter in which we get him that will determine my feelings about the deal. If he can be had for a fair price, and Rozsival isn't back next year, I'd welcome the deal. A Pitkanen-Staal pairing for the next 5-7 years would be fearsome.
thats the truth....5 million for 5 years wouldnt be bad considering he is 24 and has HUGE upside....he joins the rush a lot and staal can negate it if he evergets caught, which he surprisingly very rarely ever does....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
If Jags comes back with Straka and Roszival, I don't see this team being any better than it was this season. We still won't have depth and Gomer is still without a sniper.
Jags definatly yes, Straka i'm 50/50 on, but that sloves the first line issue.

NO TO ROSI, NO TO SHANNY!

Avery should be resigned he is on one of the top two lines
I'd like to see Dawes play with Gomez, If Drury is willing to play wing with Gomez than why not? there are lots of combos out there, not sure which is the right one.
We may very ell wind up signing Hossa & having a 2nd line of Gomez, Hossa, Drury, All two way players all with scoring ablitys, would that be so bad?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:09 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I think Staal's offensive output will rise gradually over the next few years. As the season went on, he was much more confident in his own end and willing to take offensive chances. Now he needs to start converting more. I can easily see him being a 10-30-40 defenseman in the future.
I think thats what his Average out put will be over the course of his career, once he really hits his stride he is going to have 7 or so straight years of low to mid double digits in goals and 30+ assists.

Old
05-18-2008, 12:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think Staal has a lot more offensive ability than most have heard. You probably won't see it until 2-3 years down the road though, because he realizes that defense comes first. He's no Phaneuf, but I can see him putting up 30-40 points in a few years. He's shown decent playmaking ability towards the end of the season, and he has a heavy-type shot that will lead to more than a few rebound goals in the future I think.

I agree there are some you tube vids of him goig end to end in jr. & scoring, I have no doubt his production will increase.

As far as Pitkanen, I haven't heard anything bad about him, i've seem play a handfull of times.

Old
05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

I agree there are some you tube vids of him goig end to end in jr. & scoring, I have no doubt his production will increase.

As far as Pitkanen, I haven't heard anything bad about him, i've seem play a handfull of times.

I'm pretty sure he played in the cup finals a couple of years ago, so he has nice play off experiance, Him & toots would look good together. but all this isn't gonnamatter if we don't get some size up front & on the back lines. We need to sign Orpik & hopefully Korps is ready to be a full time NHLer

Old
05-18-2008, 12:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

#1 - You give up Tyutin to get Pitkanen because he's simply a better player... especially offensively.

#2 If you look at Lowe's past history, (and this reminds very much of the Hamrlik to the IceHoles deal), Lowe is going to want a player to replace Ptikanen...so take you choice of either Girardi or Tyutin heading the other way...I'd rather give up Tyutin. Plus he's going to want another young player...hence Prucha or Dawes. He'll even try to squeeze a pick out of the deal.

#3 Sather tried to deal for TB's pick in 2002 to select Pitkanen, so I'm not surprised to see Ranger interest. And, Pitkanen is EXACTLY the type of D-man Renney loves.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05182008...409.htm?page=3

Haha

Makes sense, now i can see why Philly wanted Kaberle for Carter and pick..
Brooks is an idiot. The Flyers will have the money to sign Carter. The only way they let Carter walk is if someone signs him to a ludicrous contract and are willing to give up the four first round picks as compensation. Even then, I can see a team making a Tampa Bay-Philadelphia esque deal (when the Flyers signed Chris Gratton to the offer sheet and then traded Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis to Tampa Bay for the four first round picks they gave up when signing Gratton to the offer sheet. )

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Nice to see Slats is setting his sights on a 2nd round knock out again.

If we're going to start throwing around offer sheets, theres better players to do it to than Pitkanen. Oiler fans have been complaining all season about how lousy he is on the PP. If you could trade for him, fine, but if you're going to throw a sheet at someone, do it to Bouwmeester.

You can bet that if Jagr is going to demand a fat contract for at least two years. And if for some reason he decides to take a pay cut, he'll be requesting to bring back Straka at the very least and probaby Rozsival as well.

Last edited by Trxjw: 05-18-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Prospalous

the one person i do not want back on this team is roszival

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
#1 - You give up Tyutin to get Pitkanen because he's simply a better player... especially offensively.

#2 If you look at Lowe's past history, (and this reminds very much of the Hamrlik to the IceHoles deal), Lowe is going to want a player to replace Ptikanen...so take you choice of either Girardi or Tyutin heading the other way...I'd rather give up Tyutin. Plus he's going to want another young player...hence Prucha or Dawes. He'll even try to squeeze a pick out of the deal.

#3 Sather tried to deal for TB's pick in 2002 to select Pitkanen, so I'm not surprised to see Ranger interest. And, Pitkanen is EXACTLY the type of D-man Renney loves.
Tyutin is very important to us defensively. We lose Tyutin (not to mention the likes of Malik going as UFA's) a defenseman who defends well and replace them with a very offensive defenseman?
I want Tyutin to stay at NYR.

Chris 84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:54 PM
hfboardsuser

Then you don't get Pits. It's really not that hard.

And where did this idea he's a Dick Tarnstrom come from? The guy played 35 minutes for us a few nights down the stretch. You don't notice his shutdown ability because he always has the puck.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i would jump for joy if we could turn tyutin+prucha/dawes for Pitkanen.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
Tyutin is very important to us defensively. We lose Tyutin (not to mention the likes of Malik going as UFA's) a defenseman who defends well and replace them with a very offensive defenseman?
I want Tyutin to stay at NYR.
Pitkanen is actually pretty reliable in his own end. He just doesn't throw the body as much as Toots does.

I say we go crazy and start committing more of our cap to defense.

Staal - Bouwmeester
Girardi - Pitkanen
Stuart - Backman

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

What am I missing with Joni Pitkanen? He was horrible in Philly in 07? Granted most of Philly was horrible in 07 but he was shipped out right quick. Did he redeem himself in Oil town?

Im also not so sure signing Jagr means the team isnt progressing. They have progressed steadily on all fronts each year since the lockout. I think Jagr, Gomez and Drury are ALL key guys. Hopefully less growing pains next season. You would think so at least.

Signing Jagr is a no brainer.

The harder question is Shanahan. Thats some cap space that could be used on a younger sniper for Gomez.

Last edited by I Am Chariot: 05-18-2008 at 01:17 PM.
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:12 PM
levski87

Annoying to see Sather deal with his "friends" only in the GM world. A few of you guys were praising on Pitkanen and now you are bashing him if he comes to the Rangers, downright hilarious.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:14 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i would jump for joy if we could turn tyutin+prucha/dawes for Pitkanen.
Apparently, Ranger fans have a short term memory of the disaster that was Tyutin's playoff. Again, Pitkanen and Tyutin really isn't much of a comparison. Pitkanen can actually hit the net with his shot, is the same age as Tyutin, and has a higher upside.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote