HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Draft Record Since Tmmins Joined Team

Old
05-18-2008, 03:52 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
In my view, Timmins has done an excellent job.

Homerun-wise, I would say it is the GM's turn to hit one, either via trade or UFA market.

His last two (if you want to be generous and call them homeruns) occured 5 years ago in 2003 with Kovalev and Huet. Time to flex your muscles , Bob!
Good post. I'm hoping to see Gainey spend some money this summer, but...wisely.
Brian Rolston maybe?
Or, wait for Lecavalier in 2009?!!!!

And, yes...Timmins has done a fabulous job.
Go Timms Go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
BUT... BUT... BUT!!! WE COULD HAVE DRAFTED ESPOSITO
Homerun pick? Or, a pick that could get some scouts...fired!!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 06:54 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Brian Rolston maybe?

Go Timms Go!!

Rolston and a Rosival would be nice. Scouting is amazingly difficult. Watching Mike Green play many times he was obviously a tad undersized offensice D man with speed vision, smarts, hands but his skill was on par with Maxwell and Mike seems to be better in the NHL. Some players eg Bergeron have a development spurt and some don't eg Urquart.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 07:04 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Brian Rolston maybe?

Go Timms Go!!

please, tell me you're not putting Rolston into the "homerun" category... please...

there is ONE UFA that would fit into that homerun group anyway, it's Hossa...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I think Detroit has had unusual foresight in drafting Europeans. IMO their European scouts are the best in the NHL. Besides Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg the Red Wings have Kronwall, Holmstrom, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Kopecky, and Samuelsson (and not a single Québécois, I may add).
Um, I'd like to dispell the myth of Detroit's draft magic, which has gotten to be about as self-perpetuating despite the presence of contradictory evidence as the grit question:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr000034.html

The big time Detroit draft picks -- both of them -- were TEN (10) years ago. The recent picks, say 2003 onward, have not shown any signs of being anything. There's nobody from 2001. Kronwall was 2000, as was Kopecky and what a find the latter was: 13 pts in 107 games! Fire everyone in Mtl for missing that guy! Maybe we can make up for it by signing Sergei Kolosov to an offer sheet this summer. We've got two contracts left. Holland would have to blow his cap space to keep that guy.

Let's not forget such immortals as Jimmy Howard, Andreas Sundin, Johan Ryno, Mattias Ritola and Kyle Quincey! Clearly a new wing in the Hall of Fame is required for these Detroit gems. I'm pretty sure kids in Southeastern Lower Michigan have already got the jerseys and dream of playing alongside these guys. I saw a kid playing ball hockey in Lansing score a goal and yell, "And Anton Axelsson scores the cup winner!"

pst-please.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:22 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I have to check the Draft order...Mike Green...Ben Maxwell (my memory fails!).
We had a chance at Green instead of Maxwell?

Urquhart...Bergeron...many teams missed Bergeron in the First Round. It'll happen again, 'cause like you said...scouting is not that easy.

Scouting IS difficult (scouting, luck, hard work, maybe guessing to some degree!, hard work, scouting, luck, etc...).
Maybe Timmins has a horseshoe up his..., or he's just darn good (with the help of other HAB scouts).
But/and, I'd like to know how many scouts (in all) do the HABS have? (Canada, in Europe, USA...).

Brian "homerun" Rolston...?! I've been a huuuuuuuuge fan since his first or second year with the Devils. Ever since he left the Devils I wanted to see him in a HABS jersey.

Rolston...homerun signing? Maybe, maybe not...but maybe he'll end up being the guy who gets lots of singles, doubles, triples and many runs for our Expos, uh I mean...Habs .

Hossa...homerun category? Definitely for Hossa when he gets his 4-5 years or more, $7-8-9 mil/year (gulp!) contract!!! (I'm sure he's gonna want a minimum of 3-4 years...this could be his big "homerun/jackpot" contract!).
Not sure it's good for the HABS (such a long term contract). 2009 should be way better for ufa's.
That said, I'm sure I'd be ecstatic if we had Hossa!

Still...I'm hoping Rolston won't ask for more than $4-5 mil/year (wishful thinking??!!). I'd sign Rolston for 2-3 years (or more, if that's what it takes to get him here).

For me, the BIG, HUGE homerun signing would be...Vincent Lecavalier .
Now that would be a homerun in 2009, imo.
A man/boy is allowed to dream, no?!

cheers (I can't wait for July 1st ).
I was comparing a player that I seen play 20-30( Mike Green) times to Maxwell. The Habs chose Chip before Wolski, Meszaros, Green etc. Chip is a second round talent. He is a safe safe pick and a good citrizen but a Green Mesnaros, and Wolski obviously had more talent. Maybe Gainey wanted a character player. One needs the superstars drafted first. The Gary Roberts( why shayne corson over roberts anyway?) etc will sign as add ons. No more Brent Bilideau, Mark Peterson etcs. Go for the pure talent in early rounds. Imagine Mike Green as the Habs number 4. Trading for a Jokkinen seems much less problematic with Bargaining Chips of that sort.

Old
05-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

In the end, only the results are important. I don't care where Datsyuk was picked, nor do I care where Markov was picked. They had to be picked, and those are the teams who picked them.

It can't work both ways. Timmins is praised to have picked Kostitsyn that far, still Detroit was lucky to pick Zetterberg that far?

I will never expect all the players that we take to play in the NHL. Players chosen that late and not only play in the NHL but become a solid addtion to the team is a definite bonus, but a bonus that shoudl count. Still, players chosen in the first rounds and not be able to make a difference with their team should also be judged.

Funny thing is that the story of a draft pick doesn't end there. While Esposito might look to some people like a bad pick by Pittsburgh, if it's the decisive factor that made them acquire Hossa and maybe keep him for a long time, it might not have been that bad of a pick after all.....

While Timmins cannot be accountable for making his draft picks progressed, though somebody should be accountable for that, I prefer thinking that the end result is what counts the most. And at one point we might realize that, for example, even if 6 guys from the 2004 draft plays in the NHL at one point, 2007 might and will end up as the most important draft for the Habs even if only McDo and MaxPac makes it 'cause of their role and their importance with the team.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 03:59 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
In the end, only the results are important. I don't care where Datsyuk was picked, nor do I care where Markov was picked. They had to be picked, and those are the teams who picked them.

It can't work both ways. Timmins is praised to have picked Kostitsyn that far, still Detroit was lucky to pick Zetterberg that far?

I will never expect all the players that we take to play in the NHL. Players chosen that late and not only play in the NHL but become a solid addtion to the team is a definite bonus, but a bonus that shoudl count. Still, players chosen in the first rounds and not be able to make a difference with their team should also be judged.

Funny thing is that the story of a draft pick doesn't end there. While Esposito might look to some people like a bad pick by Pittsburgh, if it's the decisive factor that made them acquire Hossa and maybe keep him for a long time, it might not have been that bad of a pick after all.....

While Timmins cannot be accountable for making his draft picks progressed, though somebody should be accountable for that, I prefer thinking that the end result is what counts the most. And at one point we might realize that, for example, even if 6 guys from the 2004 draft plays in the NHL at one point, 2007 might and will end up as the most important draft for the Habs even if only McDo and MaxPac makes it 'cause of their role and their importance with the team.
Exactly. A strategy to be competitive is not the same as a strategy to win the big prize