HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr/Rangers to Begin Contract Negotiations Next Week -- Sather after Joni Pitkanen

Old
05-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
What am I missing with Joni Pitkanen? He was horrible in Philly in 07? Granted most of Philly was horrible in 07 but he was shipped out right quick. Did he redeem himself in Oil town?
hes 24 years old, and you can pretty much pencil him in for 40 points a season. He can transport the puck from the blueline all the way into the zone, has a very hard shot, and while he doesnt throw checks like crazy doesnt shy away from hits like Backman. He would look awfully good next to Staal.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Trading Tyutin who is signed to a very good deal at under $3 million in a deal for Pitkanen who wants major dollars is beyond stupid.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...29126-sun.html
What's even more stupid is keeping a guy whose play has deteriorated just because he's signed to a nice deal. Ya know, that guy Backman is signed for 2.3 so we should deem him untouchable and give him top pairing minutes.

Pitkanen>Tyutin, nothing wrong with JP wanting more money and a team giving him what he wants.

*******, if there's anything we need to spend money on it's the defense and lack of anything that comes from it.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:21 PM
levski87

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i6Is...eature=related

Great Call Sather.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:26 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Well from an oiler perspective(you know a few oler fans will swing by here and add few things)

The one guy the oiler fans wanted you traded away at the deadline Montoya

There was a bit of an idea awhile ago that th Rangers were looking at Schremp.

Knowing Sather and Lowe and how they opperate, you might(this is from an oiler perspective) see oilers offer Schremp and Pitkanen for say Staal, Prucha and something--this is from the oiler perspective. I figure I lost most of you at when we asked for Staal. Oilers have 8 nhl d-men ready and I think they may rejig their d a little by moving Pitkanen say to the Rangers and one of their other reargards somewhere ele. But I know that from an Oiler perspective Prucha is more of a question then Pitkanen. After having a great break out year of 30 goals--he looks like he has hit the skids.

Just for the sake of arguemen--if the oilers offered up both Pitkanen and Schremp--what would you offer from the rangers point of view

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
hes 24 years old, and you can pretty much pencil him in for 40 points a season. He can transport the puck from the blueline all the way into the zone, has a very hard shot, and while he doesnt throw checks like crazy doesnt shy away from hits like Backman. He would look awfully good next to Staal.
cool thanks

05-18-2008, 01:29 PM
levski87

I think Lowe knows not to ask for Staal. But for Jokinen and Shremp.

Tyutin, Prucha/Dawes/Cally, and a 2nd rounder

Old
05-18-2008, 01:34 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I think Lowe knows not to ask for Staal. But for Jokinen and Shremp.

Tyutin, Prucha/Dawes/Cally, and a 2nd rounder
Pitkanen---Jokinen is florida

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Well from an oiler perspective(you know a few oler fans will swing by here and add few things)

Knowing Sather and Lowe and how they opperate, you might(this is from an oiler perspective) see oilers offer Schremp and Pitkanen for say Staal, Prucha and something--this is from the oiler perspective. I figure I lost most of you at when we asked for Staal. Oilers have 8 nhl d-men ready and I think they may rejig their d a little by moving Pitkanen say to the Rangers and one of their other reargards somewhere ele. But I know that from an Oiler perspective Prucha is more of a question then Pitkanen. After having a great break out year of 30 goals--he looks like he has hit the skids.

Just for the sake of arguemen--if the oilers offered up both Pitkanen and Schremp--what would you offer from the rangers point of view
any trade scenario that has Marc Staal in it, better have Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, or players of that ilk coming back, thats how highly he is thought of here, and by the organization. Hes already the best defenseman on our team, and hes just 20 years old, with a superbly projectable frame, a coaches dream for attitude, and maturity beyond his years. Not to mention the talent to dominate a game from the defensive side of things. He hasnt even started to throw his body around yet, nor has he started to try to play the offensive end of things. The kid is already so good, and yet has so much room to go, its absolutely frightening.

But for arguments sake, for Schremp and Pitkanen, i would do something along the lines of Tyutin, Prucha or Dawes, another mid range prospect, and a 2nd rounder. THats the absolute max I would go for those 2 guys. Remember, Pitkanen is about to have a payday, thats not a good contract to be taking back.

Old
05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
if the oilers offered up both Pitkanen and Schremp--what would you offer from the rangers point of view
Well Staal is off the table. At least that is the general and wise assumption.

Rangers have need of offensive PPQB type D man but dont really have any Bona Fide sure things to trade away. They have players with excellent "potential".

Prucha
Dawes
Callahan

In Hartford and beyond:

Cherepenov
Anisimov
Bourret
Sanguinetti
Korpikoski

The D corp right now

Roszival
Malik
Mara
Struds are all UFA TO BE

That leaves Tyutin, Staal, Girardi signed and unlikely to be traded.

How sour is Edmonton on Schremp? I think Sather would have an interest if he could really get a GREAT deal. Buy low on Schremp and see if Renny can teach him to skate and play defense.

But what would the Oil expect back for Joni?

Pruchas value is pretty low and the other guys are all unproven.

Prucha + 1st round pick ?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Tyutin, Prucha + 3rd 08

I might bump that to a 2nd if we could get Torres coming back.

Prucha could easily net 30 again, he obviously has the skill, but he hasn't been used this season the way he was the previous two. He was logging top minutes on the power play with Jagr and Nylander for a lot of his rookie and sophomore seasons. Now he's limited to 3rd or 4th line minutes and no PP time.

Schremp is a great young player, but he's also a center, which we're overloaded at to begin with. If he could play wing, he might be of interest, but he does come with some people saying he has a bad attitude. Not to mention he's a 'dangler' and doesn't appear to be much of a two way forward. However, like I've said before, I think Renney could do a lot with Schremp.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:43 PM
levski87

Quote:
Pitkanen---Jokinen is florida
Ah oops, was thinking of Jokinen for some reason when I meant Pitkanen.

Old
05-18-2008, 01:43 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Would you rather

Prucha + Tyutin + a 2nd for Joni

Prucha + 1st for Joni

Old
05-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Would you rather

Prucha + Tyutin + a 2nd for Joni

Prucha + 1st for Joni
easily the 2nd

wow is Tyutin suddenly underated.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Yea I think so too.

Its a deep draft, but with Joni you know what your getting so maybe the 1st is worth it and hold onto Tyutin.

Old
05-18-2008, 01:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
any trade scenario that has Marc Staal in it, better have Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, or players of that ilk coming back, thats how highly he is thought of here, and by the organization. Hes already the best defenseman on our team, and hes just 20 years old, with a superbly projectable frame, a coaches dream for attitude, and maturity beyond his years. Not to mention the talent to dominate a game from the defensive side of things. He hasnt even started to throw his body around yet, nor has he started to try to play the offensive end of things. The kid is already so good, and yet has so much room to go, its absolutely frightening.

But for arguments sake, for Schremp and Pitkanen, i would do something along the lines of Tyutin, Prucha or Dawes, another mid range prospect, and a 2nd rounder. THats the absolute max I would go for those 2 guys. Remember, Pitkanen is about to have a payday, thats not a good contract to be taking back.
This is starting to become laughable. Apparently, people do not realize that the name "Marc Staal" and the term "untouchable" are currently synonymous these days, and that, unless a franchise player is headed to the Rangers in a deal, Staal will not be part of any deal. Pitkanen and McCabe (two recent trade topics) do not qualify as such. In fact, in scanning the Edmonton roster, there is not a player in the system I would trade Marc Staal to get. In fact, outside of the rosters of Washington and Pittsburgh, (and perhaps, Atlanta and Calgary), I'm not sure of any rosters with players I would trade Staal to get.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
easily the 2nd

wow is Tyutin suddenly underated.
That's what happens when you **** the bed for about 5/8 months of the hockey season.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Apparently, Ranger fans have a short term memory of the disaster that was Tyutin's playoff. Again, Pitkanen and Tyutin really isn't much of a comparison. Pitkanen can actually hit the net with his shot, is the same age as Tyutin, and has a higher upside.
No, just some fans don't judge a player simply on how he performed in one playoff campaign

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:52 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
No, just some fans don't judge a player simply on how he performed in one playoff campaign

Frankly, it's been more than one...he was mediocre in last year's playoff. especially against Buffalo. His development has flatlined, and, if the opportunity to get a better D-man, with better upside arises, the Rangers should have NO hesitation to deal him for that player.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Seems as though the Oilers board is looking to unload some bodies this summer as they are near the contract max. So they'd want more bodies leaving than returning.

It's really surprising to see how many people think Staal is just an average player and could easily be packaged for a guy like Pitkanen. I guess the Staal family name is only impressive if you're a center?

Edit:

One of the guys on the oilers board offered me this:

Pitkanen, Stoll, and Schremp or 1 of the Oilers dmen prospect(petry,chorney, etc)
for
Dubinsky and Girardi

Last edited by Trxjw: 05-18-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 02:12 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Seems as though the Oilers board is looking to unload some bodies this summer as they are near the contract max. So they'd want more bodies leaving than returning.

It's really surprising to see how many people think Staal is just an average player and could easily be packaged for a guy like Pitkanen. I guess the Staal family name is only impressive if you're a center?

I think everyone here agreed Staal CANNOT be packaged up for Pitkanen.

Old
05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Edit:

One of the guys on the oilers board offered me this:

Pitkanen, Stoll, and Schremp or 1 of the Oilers dmen prospect(petry,chorney, etc)
for
Dubinsky and Girardi
no thanks. Dubinsky is already our #1 center, and still has a lot of growing up to do (learning to fight, learning to be even more aggressive with his body, learning to score more goals, etc). Hes a great kid, I wouldnt do that trade, but its actually a pretty reasonable offer.

Old
05-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

February 13th was when Jagr Dubinsky and Avery first were put together, and then Straka was shifted up there when Gomez got hurt, so effectively from 2/13 till the last playoff game, Jagr had a combination of players he was comfortable with.

Couting the playoffs thats 33 games, 15 goals, 24 assists, for 39 points.

Extrapolate those numbers to 82 games it becomes 37 goals 60 assists for 97 points.

Brooks' argument that the lack of chemistry was why his numbers were down does hold a lot of water when you look at it that way.

Old
05-18-2008, 02:47 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Tyutin, Prucha + 3rd 08
I doubt that gets it done for Pitkanen and Schremp.

You have to consider that Pitkanen is a young defenseman who can get you 40 points and has elite potential and that Schremp led Springfield in points this year by almost 30 points. For all the negativity that seems to surround Schremp, he can still become a second line player.

Prucha, whose value has been destroyed since scoring 30 goals and Tyutin, whose offensive game has not developed as expected and is coming off a crap playoffs, plus a throw in 3rd rounder isn't enough.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

btw, for ***** and giggles,

Dubinskys performance during that time period:

33 games, 9 goals, 16 assists for 25 points.

Extrapolate that to 82 games, 22 goals, 40 assists, 62 points.

That wouldnt be a bad sophomore year at all.

Old
05-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

i'd rather sign a guy like campbell who is proven, then trade away assets like dawes and tyuts for an a premedona pitkanen

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote