HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antti pihllstrom

Old
05-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
And which NHL team would take our crap off of our hands? Sure we can assume that they can be traded, but would take them?

Our organization is not well off enough to eat those 1-way contracts if no one claims them on waivers when we send them down to Milwaukee.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about Pihlstrom making the team next year. Not because of his play, but because of the crap we have on our roster.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
And which NHL team would take our crap off of our hands? Sure we can assume that they can be traded, but would take them?

Our organization is not well off enough to eat those 1-way contracts if no one claims them on waivers when we send them down to Milwaukee.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about Pihlstrom making the team next year. Not because of his play, but because of the crap we have on our roster.
You'd be amazed. There are tons of teams with bad penalty kills.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:01 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
but none are making so much money that it would hurt to either healthy scratch, waive or trade them for 6th round picks. If we don't jettison some of these excess bottom sixers in favor of those that actually have scoring ability, we're stuck in the same rut we were in this week.

And for the record, Hordy, who is a UFA, brings more than say Smithson or Ortmeyer, whose only worth comes as a PK forward(something we are not lacking in). Pihlstrom could bring more to the table than any of them, and unlike those guys...not look out of place in the top six, when needed.
here here! hear him good!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:

All you have to find is two or three teams that need a penalty killer that works 110% but has stone hands for futures and they are all gone.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 09:58 PM
FanGirl10

Quote:

Agreed. And Philstrom has done well at the level he is at. Saw him at training camp last year. He can skate fast, but it wasn't accurate. Top sixer in the minors he may be, but I want to see more out of him at camp.

As for Smithson and Fiddler, I really don't see their contracts being renewed, but I get mad every time they renew Hordi. He's a thug. All he does is fight. He contributes absolutely NOTHING offensively, and he's too slow to help out defensively.

At least Smithson can win face offs and help on the PK. As for Fiddler, he never quits. I admire that.

Can Philstrom replace them? Surely. Can we afford it? Not sure.

FanGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Hordichuk is not slow. His speed is probably the main reason we specifically targeted him to be our enforcer....

05-19-2008, 10:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanGirl10 View Post
Agreed. And Philstrom has done well at the level he is at. Saw him at training camp last year. He can skate fast, but it wasn't accurate. Top sixer in the minors he may be, but I want to see more out of him at camp.

As for Smithson and Fiddler, I really don't see their contracts being renewed, but I get mad every time they renew Hordi. He's a thug. All he does is fight. He contributes absolutely NOTHING offensively, and he's too slow to help out defensively.

At least Smithson can win face offs and help on the PK. As for Fiddler, he never quits. I admire that.

Can Philstrom replace them? Surely. Can we afford it? Not sure.
It's Pihlstrom.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:03 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We need young talented 2 way players like Philstrom in place of guys like Fiddler, Smithson, Ortmeyer.
Bingo - we have a winner.

Look at Detroit's third line guys - they play solid hockey, grind when they have to, but are also capable of putting the puck in the net on a regular basis. Trotz et. al. need to shake this belief that 3rd line = no skill. Fiddler, Smithson, etc. have outlived their usefulness for the most part (not remarking on whether Ortmeyer actually had any usefulness).

Those guys need to be cut/waived/traded/whatever to make room for more talented players like Phillstrom who can bring a more complete skill set to that line.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:21 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
Bingo - we have a winner.

Look at Detroit's third line guys - they play solid hockey, grind when they have to, but are also capable of putting the puck in the net on a regular basis. Trotz et. al. need to shake this belief that 3rd line = no skill. Fiddler, Smithson, etc. have outlived their usefulness for the most part (not remarking on whether Ortmeyer actually had any usefulness).

Those guys need to be cut/waived/traded/whatever to make room for more talented players like Phillstrom who can bring a more complete skill set to that line.
Just wondering why you would say "Trotz needs to shake this belief". When a coach has 8 fourth line players with NHL contracts what would you expect him to do?

Old
05-20-2008, 06:54 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Just wondering why you would say "Trotz needs to shake this belief". When a coach has 8 fourth line players with NHL contracts what would you expect him to do?
It just seems to me that Trotz continues to roll out Fiddler, Smithson, whoever in 3rd line duty rather than giving more time to players like Peverly, Bochenski, etc. who seem to have more skill, at least offensively. Maybe this is because Trotz doesn't trust the defensive abilities of those players.

Granted Trotz hasn't had a lot of options for putting skill on the third line, but it seems like Trotz has a bias toward playing a grinder over a skilled player when filling those slots. Maybe that's fine if your top two lines can be counted on to consistently score, but both of our top two lines can disappear for long stretches, especially when facing tight defense in the playoffs. In my opinion, we need a more consistent scoring threat from the third line, even if that means giving more minutes to a Peverly or Bochenski-type on the third line.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:16 PM
nine_inch_fang

I understand what you are saying predhead1 I just don't really think there was a better option for the third line during the playoffs than Fid, Nichol, Tootoo.

Is any one of the guys on the fourth line or pressbox really an upgrade over the third line we used?

Old
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
predhead1

I agree his options were limited. But I remain concerned that Trotz and/or Poile won't put Pihlstrom or a similar player on the NHL roster unless he gets a top-6 spot, rather than bring him in and add him to the third line.

Old
05-20-2008, 11:52 PM
nine_inch_fang

I would expect nothing but for Trotz to put Pihlstrom on the third or even forth line at first. That is his MO after all isn't it?

Old
05-21-2008, 09:31 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Quote:
And which NHL team would take our crap off of our hands? .
columbus?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 07:16 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I would expect nothing but for Trotz to put Pihlstrom on the third or even forth line at first. That is his MO after all isn't it?

unless Fiddler needs more ice time

Old
07-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Finnpin

This kid will make the team next year for sure!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote