HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCabe would approve of a trade to the Rangers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2008, 09:24 PM
  #101
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Ha, did this guy come from the school of Ranger trade proposals? You want to give us a cap killing piece of garbage for gold (comparitively)? Get out of here! Backman for McCabe is fair because and most importantly, he's half the cap hit and has only one year left on his contract (btw, that's a good thing). And the fact that there is a *********** website doesn't do much to bolster your arguement.

hmm, too bad we didnt think of asking people for a first+++ for Malik last season

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:31 PM
  #102
nrf83
Registered User
 
nrf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: golf course
Country: United States
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bryan McCabe is overpriced garbage.Anyone advocating the Rangers making a deal for McCabe needs to get their head checked out.We discussed this topic three months ago and the Rangers weren't interested.Nothing has changed.
ok, let me ask this question; would you do Backstrom + NYR 1st pick in 08 draft for McCabe and Toronto's 1st pick in 08? I would jump all over this

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
  #103
the_speedster
Registered User
 
the_speedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,284
vCash: 500
hope you guys like own goals

actually I think mccabe still has some pretty impressive hockey left in him.. Plus to survive in toronto for this long shows he's got resilience.. the price tag I think is what will scare off potential suitors

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:38 PM
  #104
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,686
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
ok, let me ask this question; would you do Backstrom + NYR 1st pick in 08 draft for McCabe and Toronto's 1st pick in 08? I would jump all over this
Toronto would not.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 03:18 PM
  #105
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
ok, let me ask this question; would you do Backstrom + NYR 1st pick in 08 draft for McCabe and Toronto's 1st pick in 08? I would jump all over this
Backstrom? Is this a 3 way deal with Washington?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 08:37 PM
  #106
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
meh... reddens better and he probably will cost cap hit wise around the same
I don't think so. And all the fans were pissin on Redden this past season.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 08:55 PM
  #107
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
nay on Redden.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
  #108
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,347
vCash: 500
I wouldn't give more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick for McCabe. If he will accept a trade, Toronto will take whatever they can get for him. It's a better alternative for them than buying him out.

Backman isn't great, but I wouldn't trade him for McCabe. We need to worry about filling the holes we have already, rather than upgrading filled positions, or even worse, creating more holes. People keep suggesting we trade these 2 players or those 2 players for 1 player. Do you realize we only have 13 NHL players under contract?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 04:08 PM
  #109
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I wouldn't give more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick for McCabe. If he will accept a trade, Toronto will take whatever they can get for him. It's a better alternative for them than buying him out.

Backman isn't great, but I wouldn't trade him for McCabe. We need to worry about filling the holes we have already, rather than upgrading filled positions, or even worse, creating more holes. People keep suggesting we trade these 2 players or those 2 players for 1 player. Do you realize we only have 13 NHL players under contract?
is that including sjostrom and dawes?...as they are RFA?...thats 15....and for the players who people are saying 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 if absolutely needed, they are well worth it

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:35 AM
  #110
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 54,985
vCash: 50
where is the actual link from a media source that says McCabe would have the clause to play for the rangers---the leaf board is like the oil board and it has a life of it's own with stories like this

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 06:51 AM
  #111
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
I don't think so. And all the fans were pissin on Redden this past season.
So were all fans on Zedno Chara like 1-2 seasons ago...

I've not followed Redden all that much while watching Ottawa lately. I always thought he was overrated when he was mentioned as a Norris Candidate and I always thought Chara was more valueble then him.

But now Redden isn't even supposed to be a nr 1 D anymore? In my world the blueline is/was the least of Ottawa's problems. They had a poor goalie and a only 1 forward who ever breaks the pattern. They became extremely one dimensional.

For Ottawa a D like Gonchar would have been allot more valueble then Redden -- they needs guys that can break the pattern and add some creativity.

But Redden from my perspective is still a very solid NHL defensemen and I don't got any doubts that he can handle a 1st pairing role next to Marc Staal. I even think that it would be a good fit to bring in a reliable D like Redden, someone who you know will shoot the puck in a good situation, or take the body, or clear the crease.

My nr 1 option right now would be to bring in Redden instead of Rozsival to get a really steady 1st pairing that can log an avg of maybe 25-26 minutes, and up to 30 on nights when its needed. I think a pairing of Marc Staal and Wade Redden could do that. Behind that pairing I would go give Sanguetti a shot. He isn't "ready". But he got the offensive game pinned down. And Chris Letang certainly wasn't really ready when he was given a shot etiher. Staal-Redden would be a rock solid pairing, they would take the body and provide the framework for the blueline. Behind that pairing we could experiment with like Toots-Sanguetti and Bäckman-Girardi -- untill we can find a bruising D.

I also think there is allot of factors that speaks in favor of Redden. He defenitly wants some revenge for the beating he have taken in Ottawa. New York is the biggest scene -- and there really isn't much pressure on a good solid D like Redden who really don't got any flaws. Like who shots the puck and takes the body. Redden is also still pretty young and he have kind of hit a plateu in Ottawa. They play a very 1-dimensional game, maybe he could develop some more in NY with more responsibility. And finally, Redden won't be getting the really big bucks after the season he just had. Maybe 6-6.5 per.

Rozsival on the other hand is kind of exactly in the same situation here as Redden is in Ottawa. THere isn't mcuh room for him to grow. Its like he feels that he is a bit pressured by the media and fans -- he isn't getting much praise, and I don't feel he can play well enough to overcome that pressure. That hurts his confidence and he is kind of up and down. I think both needs a change of scenary...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:11 AM
  #112
Dark Knight
We The North !!
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Please NO. The guy is a complete joke. Go to www.mccabe sucks dot com. It says it all.
Those who think McCabe sucks dont know their hockey. In Toronto every minor mistake of each player except Sundin are magified and discussed in public.

The hate against McCabe is a result of the minor slump he was going through earlier in the season. After the Buffalo game, he was arguably the best defensive defenseman on our team. For a team competing for the Stanley Cup, right now, I think McCabe will be an excellent addition as he can still skate beautifully and defend.

At 5.7 he's not exactly overpaid now. The Leafs just cant afford him because this team, intact, isnt going anywhere.

The Rangers, New Jersey, San Jose etc. will all benefit from adding McCabe, but its going to cost, as some people say a 5th rounder. It will cost more than that. Maybe one good prospect or multiple picks.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 09:09 AM
  #113
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave View Post
Those who think McCabe sucks dont know their hockey. In Toronto every minor mistake of each player except Sundin are magified and discussed in public.

The hate against McCabe is a result of the minor slump he was going through earlier in the season. After the Buffalo game, he was arguably the best defensive defenseman on our team. For a team competing for the Stanley Cup, right now, I think McCabe will be an excellent addition as he can still skate beautifully and defend.

At 5.7 he's not exactly overpaid now. The Leafs just cant afford him because this team, intact, isnt going anywhere.

The Rangers, New Jersey, San Jose etc. will all benefit from adding McCabe, but its going to cost, as some people say a 5th rounder. It will cost more than that. Maybe one good prospect or multiple picks.
I both agree and disagree. Like, here on HF there doesn't seem to be any inbetween, a player is either like untouchable from criticisim or he plain sucks. I don't think McCabe sucks. He is a great shooter and a physical defensemen.

But on the other hand, lets be honest here, he is defenitly allot closer to Derian Hatcher then to Nik Lidström... Philly fans often defends Derian, he battles hard and he isn't always "killing" his team. But its not good in the game today to have a D with so little agility as both Derian Hatcher or Bryan McCabe got -- its not good at all.

And this is not something thats comming to us from other TML fans, like Bryan McCabe was made a 7th D in the SEL during the lockout -- and bolted to avoid the humiliation. His agility is just poor. It takes forever for him to turn around if he is gooing forward.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:39 PM
  #114
Fire Wilson
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
where is the actual link from a media source that says McCabe would have the clause to play for the rangers---the leaf board is like the oil board and it has a life of it's own with stories like this
It's not a clause, there is a rumor that McCabe will accept a trade to either any eastern team, and another rumor saying to a New York team.

Fire Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:43 PM
  #115
Breakaway23*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallasish
Country: United States
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I both agree and disagree. Like, here on HF there doesn't seem to be any inbetween, a player is either like untouchable from criticisim or he plain sucks. I don't think McCabe sucks. He is a great shooter and a physical defensemen.

But on the other hand, lets be honest here, he is defenitly allot closer to Derian Hatcher then to Nik Lidström... Philly fans often defends Derian, he battles hard and he isn't always "killing" his team. But its not good in the game today to have a D with so little agility as both Derian Hatcher or Bryan McCabe got -- its not good at all.

And this is not something thats comming to us from other TML fans, like Bryan McCabe was made a 7th D in the SEL during the lockout -- and bolted to avoid the humiliation. His agility is just poor. It takes forever for him to turn around if he is gooing forward.

For all of McCabe's foibles, there certainly isn't any comparison to being anything close to Hatcher at this point in his career. Sometimes McCabe makes mistakes pinching and trying to do too much on offfense, but he doesn't have the lead-footedness of Hatcher.

McCabe is only 3 season removed from being a Norris finalist. He's only 32 right now and still probably also has at least 3-4 good seasons left in.

I would also consider Hatcher more physical than McCabe.

He will bounce back next year if he can find a regular guy to be on his side.

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 06:07 PM
  #116
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
So were all fans on Zedno Chara like 1-2 seasons ago...

I've not followed Redden all that much while watching Ottawa lately. I always thought he was overrated when he was mentioned as a Norris Candidate and I always thought Chara was more valueble then him.

But now Redden isn't even supposed to be a nr 1 D anymore? In my world the blueline is/was the least of Ottawa's problems. They had a poor goalie and a only 1 forward who ever breaks the pattern. They became extremely one dimensional.

For Ottawa a D like Gonchar would have been allot more valueble then Redden -- they needs guys that can break the pattern and add some creativity.

But Redden from my perspective is still a very solid NHL defensemen and I don't got any doubts that he can handle a 1st pairing role next to Marc Staal. I even think that it would be a good fit to bring in a reliable D like Redden, someone who you know will shoot the puck in a good situation, or take the body, or clear the crease.

My nr 1 option right now would be to bring in Redden instead of Rozsival to get a really steady 1st pairing that can log an avg of maybe 25-26 minutes, and up to 30 on nights when its needed. I think a pairing of Marc Staal and Wade Redden could do that. Behind that pairing I would go give Sanguetti a shot. He isn't "ready". But he got the offensive game pinned down. And Chris Letang certainly wasn't really ready when he was given a shot etiher. Staal-Redden would be a rock solid pairing, they would take the body and provide the framework for the blueline. Behind that pairing we could experiment with like Toots-Sanguetti and Bäckman-Girardi -- untill we can find a bruising D.

I also think there is allot of factors that speaks in favor of Redden. He defenitly wants some revenge for the beating he have taken in Ottawa. New York is the biggest scene -- and there really isn't much pressure on a good solid D like Redden who really don't got any flaws. Like who shots the puck and takes the body. Redden is also still pretty young and he have kind of hit a plateu in Ottawa. They play a very 1-dimensional game, maybe he could develop some more in NY with more responsibility. And finally, Redden won't be getting the really big bucks after the season he just had. Maybe 6-6.5 per.

Rozsival on the other hand is kind of exactly in the same situation here as Redden is in Ottawa. THere isn't mcuh room for him to grow. Its like he feels that he is a bit pressured by the media and fans -- he isn't getting much praise, and I don't feel he can play well enough to overcome that pressure. That hurts his confidence and he is kind of up and down. I think both needs a change of scenary...
Maybe a change of scenery would help.
But you think Redden will get paid less because of last season? No, some team will pay him as much or more than he was paid this season because they also think that all he needs is a change of scenery.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:43 PM
  #117
Jay88*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
I always liked McCabe and dont think I would mind see'ing him in a NYR jersey. Everyone has a bad season. Mcacbe would be great from the point on the PP, and can be nasty and aggressive.Just what NYR needs.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
  #118
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,958
vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Toronto would not.
Umm why not?

If the Leafs want to rid themselves of McCabes astoundingly bloated salary then they cannot expect much.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:15 PM
  #119
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88* View Post
I always liked McCabe and dont think I would mind see'ing him in a NYR jersey. Everyone has a bad season. Mcacbe would be great from the point on the PP, and can be nasty and aggressive.Just what NYR needs.
ehh but depending at the cost, would u move prucha and 2ed for mccabe i dunno if i would

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
  #120
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,024
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Umm why not?

If the Leafs want to rid themselves of McCabes astoundingly bloated salary then they cannot expect much.
Kind of agree. If there is a time to go get him, now would be it.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:34 PM
  #121
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Kind of agree. If there is a time to go get him, now would be it.
All the Rumblings here is that he won't waive

If he does they will have to take Backman and his salary of 2.3 against the cap..........and then a descent player, Prucha likely but I hope not

Still think signing Redden or Campbell will be the way they go though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
  #122
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Backman + Prucha would be great for us.

Those two have a hit of nearly $4 anyway. McCabe would result in a hit of only $1.8.

And the best thing is that he would actually save the Dolans some money since Backman's salary is higher than his cap hit, while McCabe's is lower. The money could be used to bury a salary in the future by sending someone overpaid to Hartford.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Four things appeal to me

1) He's a PP QB: I don't think I need to explain this one.

2) He is only signed for 2 years: 5.7 isn't exactly cheap, but it wont cripple our payroll, and since he is only signed 2 years we won't be stuck with him long term. Worst case scenario is he sucks and we are done with him soon anyway. This is no Yashin situation. In 2 years maybe Sanguinetti is ready, or maybe we find someone else. He's good enough to tide us over for 2 years.

3) Toronto is contemplating buying him out: This, as you stated, implies he wouldn't cost the Rangers too much. Backman plus Prucha? I could see that working out for both sides. Even if that is not acceptable, no key prospects or picks would be exchanged. Low risk in that department.

4) It beats the alternatives we have: Rozsival is going to command the same cap hit anyway, and it won't be a two year deal. He'll command ~6 mill for ~4 years. Redden and Campbell will similarly want big contracts long term, which we all agree we can't afford with Gomez, Drury, and Lundqvist already locked up. And if they fail, like Redden and Campbell clearly have the potential to do, we'd be stuck with them long term, whereas McCabe would be gone in 2 years.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:54 PM
  #123
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,686
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Umm why not?

If the Leafs want to rid themselves of McCabes astoundingly bloated salary then they cannot expect much.
his salary isn't that high where they'd have to take Backman and swap the 8th for the 20th. that's ridiculous.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:40 PM
  #124
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Umm why not?

If the Leafs want to rid themselves of McCabes astoundingly bloated salary then they cannot expect much.

It was reported by Bill Watters on his radio show, that, in order to force McCabe to waive his NMC, they'd tell him to just stay home. The Leafs want out from under that contract. I don't think they are looking to get much back for him.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:44 PM
  #125
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,024
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
It was reported by Bill Watters on his radio show, that, in order to force McCabe to waive his NMC, they'd tell him to just stay home. The Leafs want out from under that contract. I don't think they are looking to get much back for him.
That's why I think it's worth looking at. His contract is more reasonable than Redden, Campbell et al would be.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.