HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley Cup Final Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Stanley Cup Final Thread

Discuss.

Old
05-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Thanks Kuchina82 for your post in last thread (I did not quote you - too lazy).

So basically for us to loose A Kost or any RFA is a very high cost in draft choices for the team.

For players, UFA is real, RFA is a very tough road.

Who did sign a RFA contract with another team?
What was given? Was is worth it?
The three recent examples of offer sheets are

Ryan Kesler = signed with Philly 2 or 3 years ago, matched by Vancouver.
Thomas Vanek = signed with Edmonton last year; matched by Buffalo
Dustin Penner = signed with Edmonton last year; not matched by Anaheim.

Those are the only three i can think of.... if you want the financials you guys can look them up.

Old
05-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Kuchina82 for your post in last thread (I did not quote you - too lazy).

So basically for us to loose A Kost or any RFA is a very high cost in draft choices for the team.

For players, UFA is real, RFA is a very tough road.

Who did sign a RFA contract with another team?
What was given? Was is worth it?
Dustin Penner signed an offer sheet with Edmonton this off-season. It was a 5 yr 21.35 contract. Edmonton had to sacrifice a first-round draft pick as well as a second-round pick and a third-round choice.

05-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
If someone wants to hire A Kost and we offer 2.95M the other team would need to offer 3M and give a first round draft.
With a salary like Crosby, you would need to give 4 first drafts.

If someine is using this, they must be desperate...
we also get 7 days to decide if we want to match the 3M offer.

I agree, its a desperate method to get players and I don't think its worth it except in the rare case of a superstar like a crosby, malkin, ovechkin etc....

1) You have to overpay any player you want in order that the other team won't match... You use up more cap space then the player is worth
2) You have to give up draft picks too.... these draft picks are the best place to find the talented; cheap players you need to help you make up for the overused cap space in that you used in the first place.
3) The overpaying in part 1 leads to giving up better draft picks in part 2.

It really is a bad way to build a team... That said, if you give a max contract to Malkin in 2009 and Pitt doesn't match, the four first rounders might be worth a player of that caliber.

Old
05-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
we also get 7 days to decide if we want to match the 3M offer.

I agree, its a desperate method to get players and I don't think its worth it except in the rare case of a superstar like a crosby, malkin, ovechkin etc....

1) You have to overpay any player you want in order that the other team won't match... You use up more cap space then the player is worth
2) You have to give up draft picks too.... these draft picks are the best place to find the talented; cheap players you need to help you make up for the overused cap space in that you used in the first place.
3) The overpaying in part 1 leads to giving up better draft picks in part 2.

It really is a bad way to build a team... That said, if you give a max contract to Malkin in 2009 and Pitt doesn't match, the four first rounders might be worth a player of that caliber.

a) Pittsburgh would match. Wouldn't you?

b) It will never get to the point of making an offer. Pittsburgh gets an exclusive entire year before you or anyone else has a chance to say boo to him legally. Do you think Shero is dumb enough to play hardball with him. And Malkin seems quite content playing 1B and does not seem to be itching to go. No guarentees on that one, but if he goes it will not be because of an offer sheet that Pittsburgh stupidly refuses to match. Chances are quite close to 100% that Malkin and Crosby remain Pens for life.

The Pens certainly will have some decisions down the road. Keeping Crosby and Malkin will not be one of them.

Old
05-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
a) Pittsburgh would match. Wouldn't you?

b) It will never get to the point of making an offer. Pittsburgh gets an exclusive entire year before you or anyone else has a chance to say boo to him legally. Do you think Shero is dumb enough to play hardball with him. And Malkin seems quite content playing 1B and does not seem to be itching to go. No guarentees on that one, but if he goes it will not be because of an offer sheet that Pittsburgh stupidly refuses to match. Chances are quite close to 100% that Malkin and Crosby remain Pens for life.

The Pens certainly will have some decisions down the road. Keeping Crosby and Malkin will not be one of them.
I never said they wouldn't match.... I just said that if you are gonna make an offer sheet and have it be worth the four first round picks; it better be a player of that caliber you are getting back.

Old
05-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I never said they wouldn't match.... I just said that if you are gonna make an offer sheet and have it be worth the four first round picks; it better be a player of that caliber you are getting back.
I agree totally. In fact it would take a very very rare situation, likely not involving a big name player but one of the tweeners that would involve relatively little draft pick compensation and a nice size whole that guy may fill to ever make an offer sheet even worth considering in passing IMO. Or an extremely stupid GM who thinks he can nickle and dime a superstar. I just do not think that there are very many shortcuts. And the offer sheet may be the most ineffecient way to aquire talent out there given you need to overpay both in price AND draft picks.

Old
05-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Illuminating.
Thanks for the info.

So I am right to think that our RFA are pretty sure to come back or we may end up with significant draft choices.
Well the Russian league is the scary thing now.... They have signed a few guys away and there are some rumors they may go after Andrei Kostitsyn. And since it is a different league there is no compensation in the way of draft choices; and no 7 day matching period.

Old
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Well the Russian league is the scary thing now.... They have signed a few guys away and there are some rumors they may go after Andrei Kostitsyn. And since it is a different league there is no compensation in the way of draft choices; and no 7 day matching period.
Well not the new russian superleague (KHL) anyway. Thief finished telling us about it, and it's so hilarous.

Old
05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Has there been any more talk (rumors) of other players going besides Andrei Kostitsyn?

Old
05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Has there been any more talk (rumors) of other players going besides Andrei Kostitsyn?
Not that I've heard for the Habs... I mean there have been slight rumblings about Halak trying his luck in Europe, but I think those fears are unfounded as long as he knows he will be the NHL backup at worst next year. Haven't heard too much about our other RFAs.... of course some of the minor league guys might go to Europe. Ferland and Englehart have already signed, and Locke, Milroy, Cote, Danis are all candidates.

Old
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
LV Hab

Quote:
The RSL doesn't really scare me at all when it comes to AK. Most of the highest paid players over there are guys that didn't like the NHL/NA. AKs earning power is way higher if he stays in the NHL. A few seasons down the road he could potentially be earning over 5 million a season, more than any player in Russia. Plus he plays on the same team as his brother, I don't see him leaving any time soon. http://beanballinc.blogspot.com/2007...er-league.html

RFAs that I see getting offer sheets this summer are Carter and Umberger due to the fact that Philly is so close to the cap.

Old
05-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not that I've heard for the Habs... I mean there have been slight rumblings about Halak trying his luck in Europe, but I think those fears are unfounded as long as he knows he will be the NHL backup at worst next year. Haven't heard too much about our other RFAs.... of course some of the minor league guys might go to Europe. Ferland and Englehart have already signed, and Locke, Milroy, Cote, Danis are all candidates.
Thanks Beaker, I'd heard about Ferland and the rumour involving AK. I just haven't heard anything else involving big names from other teams.

Old
05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
MathMan

4-0 Detroit after 2. Pretty familiar, reminds me of the last PIT-PHI game. So much for historic comebacks.

Old
05-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Wings in the finals and i win my bet!!

Old
05-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Wings in the finals and i win my bet!!
What's the bet? Anyways good luck to Detroit

Old
05-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Big game tonight, should be an exciting final before a loooooooonnnnnngggg summer.

I think ill watch on RDS, Bob Cole got the nod on CBC.

Old
05-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Im really not attracted to it.

I wont be watching tonight and i wont be going out of my way to watch the other games either.
ill watch the cup clincher if I can.

for what its worth.. GO WINGS GO!

I never wanna see Crosby with the cup

Old
05-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Good start for Fleury

getting on the ice he fell, hahaha

...yes I said I wasnt watching tonight...my dad is watching it so I see the game too, im leaving after the first period tho

Old
05-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Stephen Locke*

Karen Newman is pretty attractive.(the Wings anthem singer)

Old
05-24-2008, 07:12 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Ref: "Marc Andre Fleury, 2 minutes Diving!"

Old
05-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Pens are going to get smoooooooooooked.

Old
05-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Did they say Stephen Crosby?

Old
05-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
Karen Newman is pretty attractive.(the Wings anthem singer)

You can say that again.

Old
05-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I can't believe that RDS find some budget to send the guys over there.....

Closed Thread