HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Speculation - Martin Havlat on the trade block??

Old
05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
DrMailloux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Oh good lord tell me you're kidding?

Chicago is actually in a different situation than the Habs. We have moved on from our so called "rebuilding stage" and become contenders. While Chicago is going through a major youth movement.

A player with Havlat's talent is not going to make much of a difference to Chicago. But adding a player of Havlat's talent, could be just what we need to help put us over the top.
For 3m id be ok with it but i think he still has his juicy 6m contract. The only way id be ok with it is if we resign a 2 years extension for ~3m. I believe he signed an extension with chicago or he signed with ottawa prior to the trade a few years ago, he could do the same.

However i doubt he would accept to make 3m fo 2 years.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:29 PM
bipolarhabfan

An exceptional talent that cannot stay healthy. If it requires that we trade a few players off of our roster who are not part of the core, it is a viable option only if we do not sign a quality UFA.

BTW, Havlat reminds me Elijah Price, who is played by Samuel L. Jackson, in the movie unbreakable.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I'd trade Bergfors straight up for Havlat.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
For 3m id be ok with it but i think he still has his juicy 6m contract. The only way id be ok with it is if we resign a 2 years extension for ~3m. I believe he signed an extension with chicago or he signed with ottawa prior to the trade a few years ago, he could do the same.

However i doubt he would accept to make 3m fo 2 years.
Yeah I would say the chances of him taking that much of a paycut would be quite slim. If it was possible to get Havlat at 3m per, I wouldn't even think twice. But with the contract he has now, too big of a risk IMO.

05-19-2008, 12:40 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
i would take havlat in a heart beat, but i wouldnt pay a lot since the guy is always injured and didnt play much in the last 2 seasons

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:52 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Hab View Post
If the Habs can't bring in one of the top 5 UFAs and all they have to give up is say Grabovski, Perezhogin, a mid range draft pick, ie: someone who is not really a blue chip prospect I don't see why Gainey wouldn't do it. Mtl. could basically rent him for the season, re-sign him to a reasonable contract if he fits in or just let him go after a year...
Here is my problem with him (Havlat). 109 games in the last 3 regular seasons. If he could stay healthy for a year there is no question I would want him. His skill is undeniable. And he puts up alot of points. 100 points in those 109 games despite being injured so much.

But the problem is, with how much Havlat makes (6+ I believe)...do you really want him for 36 games.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Dr_Hook

He has only 1 year left on his deal, right ? So why not take a flyer on him ? I mean there isn't a whole lot of fish in the UFA ocean this summer, so if we figure that our chances of gettin Hossa are pretty slim, and we can get a Havlat dirt cheap in a trade, I say that is a valid plan B.

If he's healthy for the bigger part of the year, he becomes an absolute steal ; if the miracle doesn't happen and he finds himself on the shelf early (and for long), let the insurances pay him and then try to get someone else at the deadline. I say, as long as he costs nothing as far as assets are concerned, that is at least an intriguing possibility

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
He has only 1 year left on his deal, right ? So why not take a flyer on him ? I mean there isn't a whole lot of fish in the UFA ocean this summer, so if we figure that our chances of gettin Hossa are pretty slim, and we can get a Havlat dirt cheap in a trade, I say that is a valid plan B.

If he's healthy for the bigger part of the year, he becomes an absolute steal ; if the miracle doesn't happen and he finds himself on the shelf early (and for long), let the insurances pay him and then try to get someone else at the deadline. I say, as long as he costs nothing as far as assets are concerned, that is at least an intriguing possibility
The problem with Havlat is what if he's healthy for 60 games; your team does well and then boom; day after the trade deadline, or first game of the playoffs or anywhere inbetween he gets hurt and is done for the year, now you are screwed.

Hes a plan C or D option for me, I don't mind it if he only has one year left on the deal, but there are other options I'd rather explore first.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Bob sure as hell better trade for Havlat after missing out on Brad Richards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Havlat is one of the most skilled forwards in the league and can bring us closer to reaching our goal of the cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : teach : teach : teach : teach : teach :

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 05-19-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:14 PM
LV Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Here is my problem with him (Havlat). 109 games in the last 3 regular seasons. If he could stay healthy for a year there is no question I would want him. His skill is undeniable. And he puts up alot of points. 100 points in those 109 games despite being injured so much.

But the problem is, with how much Havlat makes (6+ I believe)...do you really want him for 36 games.
If he only plays 36 games or so wouldn't he be placed on long-term IR and his salary not count that much towards the cap. Anyways I see Havlat as a player I would want if Gainey can't get Hossa, Jagr, Sundin or Rolston. Why be 8 million under the cap next season? Maybe the owner wants to be that far under the cap but as a fan I would risk being 1 or 2 million under the cap at the beginning of every season. Havlat is not signed long-term and does not affect GAiney's ability to keep the core together. If the asking price is bargain basement it's a good alternative if free agency does not work out, which it hasn't for many years now.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
Bob sure as hell better trade for Havlat after missing out on Brad Richards!!!!!
Between the Bolts being unlikely to want Richards in the East and Richards having a NTC and likely not wanting to go to Montreal, I doubt Bob was even in the same galaxy as a shot at Richards.

IIRC, Bob inquired about Havlat at the deadline but hung up when the Hawks wanted Higgins. If that's the asking price, the Hawks can ask elsewhere.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

He has one year left at $6 million, if the Hawks take on a big contract like Bouillon or Dandenault and a prospect I'd love to take him.

The last time he played in the playoffs he had 13 points in 10 games not even playing first line minutes, I definitely wouldn't want Bob overpaying for him but even at $6 million for one year I think he'd definitely be worth it as we wouldn't need to get in a huge bidding war for Hossa or other UFA's.

Bouillon, D'Agostini and a 2nd rounder in 09 for Havlat

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Apparently the Chicago Blackhawks are looking to move Martin Havlat at the draft, and the price might be of the "bargain" variety. (Perhaps straight up for a decent prospect.)

They would like to free up the cap space in order to be players in the Marian Hossa free agent sweepstakes.

Thus far, apparently the teams interested are the New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens and Chicago Blackhawks.

Many over on the Boston Bruins board believe they are also in the running though I haven't found that to be true thus far.

There's also whispers of the Vancouver Canucks being interested, though that's puzzling considering the rumours were there before the team even had a General Manager.

Now, with Montreal being rumoured toward the deadline to be interested in Havlat and Hossa, how would you like to see this play out, if this is how things go?

Would you deal Chipchura for example to acquire Havlat? Would you rather put all the eggs in the basket of wooing Hossa as a free agent? Would you rather skip both of these guys?

Leave Havlat alone....we don't need him.

He is a good player when he is healthy, but when is he ever healthy? He only played 109 games in the last 3 seasons. I suppose if he didn't cost the team more than $2 million in cap space, then he would be worth the risk, but if we are going to pay big money for him, I would rather spend big money on someone else who can play 82 games a season.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I'd be open to Havlat, even if the guy's shoulder is hanging by a thread.
It all depends on the price.

The way I see it take as many games as you can get from him, if/when he get injured you can call up a youngster to take his place.

Then at the end of the season let him go if it doesn't work out.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post

Bouillon, D'Agostini and a 2nd rounder in 09 for Havlat
I wouldn't even do this trade. The 2nd rounder is way too precious to give it away for Havlat.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I wouldn't even do this trade. The 2nd rounder is way too precious to give it away for Havlat.
True with Timmons drafting, the idea of giving any draft pick sucks. But we are talking about a star player here, even if he is injured a fair amount of the time.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Not to mention it's an 09 pick.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
True with Timmons drafting, the idea of giving any draft pick sucks. But we are talking about a star player here, even if he is injured a fair amount of the time.
A Star player playing 40 games a season? No thanks, I'd rather keep the 6M in cap space for Rolston or Hossa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Not to mention it's an 09 pick.
Exactly.

Old
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
We have 2 2nd rounders in '09, we have to give up something to get something and that pick will probably be up in the 50's.

With our depth right now we can afford to lose one draft pick considering we are trying to contend now and by losing one 2nd round draft pick doesn't mean we will be hurt that bad in the future.

Old
peperebougon*

Havlat for a 6th or 7th rounder if they really want him out...they'll do it. If we cannot find a better option this summer. He is signed for just one more year. Not that big of a gamble imo.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Shabutie

Havlat would be the best player on this team, without a doubt. His last playoffs with Ottawa were amazing, he was dominant.

Yes, he's injury prone...but if it's for a mid-level prospect, we'd be stupid not to do it...We've got an abbundance of them. Trade Chipchura and we still have White...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
We have 2 2nd rounders in '09, we have to give up something to get something and that pick will probably be up in the 50's.

With our depth right now we can afford to lose one draft pick considering we are trying to contend now and by losing one 2nd round draft pick doesn't mean we will be hurt that bad in the future.
Who cares if we have 2 2nd rounders? The 09 draft is going to be one of the deepest entry draft in the NHL history. The more pick you have the better. Furthermore, 2nd round pick with the scouting staff we have are very precious. Let's not do the same mistakes teams did (e.g Atlanta & Nashville) and hypothecate our future for a Injury prone Star player *cough* forsberg.

I'd rather have one more Subban, Latendresse, Carle, etc, in our system than Havlat for less than one season tbh.

Not to mention that the draft takes place in Montreal. Don't get me wrong, I'd sacrifice a good pick for a star player... just not Havlat.

Old
05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
redmachine54

Meh. Havlat's a talent, that's for sure, but he's played a combined 109 regular season games since the lockout. Depending on the prospect they're asking for, it might be interesting, but if it's anything above mid-level talent, I'd pass.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Havlat for a 6th or 7th rounder if they really want him out...they'll do it. If we cannot find a better option this summer. He is signed for just one more year. Not that big of a gamble imo.
Exactly, i'd rather take a gamble on him for one year than get in a bidding war for Hossa where he gets $8.5-9 mill a year for 5-7 years or an aging Rolston who might want a three year contract.

We have many young guys we need to lock up long-term after the season and by signing guys like Rolston and Hossa it might not able us to sign guys like Plekanec, Komi, Higgins etc. to long term deals.

Havlat gets hurt? Who cares, it's worth a gamble and his salary wouldn't count against the cap and we still have Kovy, Kost bros, Higgins, Latendresse who are able to fill in offensively on the top 2 line wings.

Old
05-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Havlat would be the best player on this team, without a doubt. His last playoffs with Ottawa were amazing, he was dominant.

Yes, he's injury prone...but if it's for a mid-level prospect, we'd be stupid not to do it...We've got an abbundance of them. Trade Chipchura and we still have White...
See.. again. You guys take prospects for granted. Chipchura is NHL ready and will likely have a good impact on the team as soon as next season while White will make it to Hamilton, but will have to stay at the very least one season in Hamilton to work on his all-around game before even being able to have a shot with the big club. Not to mention the work he has to do on his balance and skating... If you trade Chipchura away, you have to replace him. And the closest centre we have in our system to the NHL is... Locke and maybe Maxwell. If you don't replace Chipy by a prospect, you have to get a third line centre this summer, and we all know how that turned out. *cough* Smolinski.