HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecavalier - Speculation

Old
05-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Brisk-Illusion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
He never was UFA. He got an extension.
I know, he was a RFA, he could have signed a one year deal, and gone to arbitration if Tampa would have refused to give him one.

He chose to sign a 4 year deal.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
He never was UFA. He got an extension.
yeah but he still signed a four-year extension when he could have been UFA last summer if he wanted to instead... If he wanted to be a hab that bad, he could already be one now.... That was the point.

I'd love Vinny, but I'm not putting all my hope into him.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 08:30 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I know, he was a RFA, he could have signed a one year deal, and gone to arbitration if Tampa would have refused to give him one.

He chose to sign a 4 year deal.
What I don't remember is if he signed before of after he won the cup...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
What I don't remember is if he signed before of after he won the cup...
After... they locked up all three... Marty signed first; then Vinny; then Richards I believe.... but all three were signed after the cup.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 08:40 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
After... they locked up all three... Marty signed first; then Vinny; then Richards I believe.... but all three were signed after the cup.
Then he made the right choice at the time I guess...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
WeezyHabFan

so begins the LECAVALIER

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
He was never married.
Maybe i should have added a ''''

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Puckhead58*

If Vinny is selling his house in Tampa, its likely to buy another, bigger house in Tampa!!!! I don't see him playing for the Canadiens...EVER!!!

Why would he want to? There is a ton of pressure in Montreal, especially for a french-canadian like himself.

I would love to see it happen, but I doubt it ever will. I know I wouldn't leave sunny Tampa Bay to play hockey in freezing cold Montreal where the french media tears you apart if you don't score 5 points every game.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
If Vinny is selling his house in Tampa, its likely to buy another, bigger house in Tampa!!!! I don't see him playing for the Canadiens...EVER!!!

Why would he want to? There is a ton of pressure in Montreal, especially for a french-canadian like himself.

I would love to see it happen, but I doubt it ever will. I know I wouldn't leave sunny Tampa Bay to play hockey in freezing cold Montreal where the french media tears you apart if you don't score 5 points every game.
All very true, but it might be another story now that we are a bit closer to the cup. It's one thing to come here and be on a losing team. It's a whole different story to play for Montreal when they are winning.

I'm still not betting the house that Vinny will be coming to Montreal anytime soon. But with the way our team has improved, and the way things have happened in Tampa since he signed his extension. The chances have definitely improved in our favour over the last couple of years.

05-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
All very true, but it might be another story now that we are a bit closer to the cup. It's one thing to come here and be on a losing team. It's a whole different story to play for Montreal when they are winning.

I'm still not betting the house that Vinny will be coming to Montreal anytime soon. But with the way our team has improved, and the way things have happened in Tampa since he signed his extension. The chances have definitely improved in our favour over the last couple of years.

I agree with that, our chances are definitely a lot better then they were a year or 2 ago. But I just don't see Vinnie leaving Tampa after how his career has blossomed there.

But I guess since his buddy Brad Richards is gone to Dallas, maybe there is no other reason to stay with a struggling Tampa Bay team. Maybe he'll feel the need to return home to Montreal and play for the hometown Canadiens!!!!

I guess we'll see what happens in the off-season eh.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I agree with that, our chances are definitely a lot better then they were a year or 2 ago. But I just don't see Vinnie leaving Tampa after how his career has blossomed there.

But I guess since his buddy Brad Richards is gone to Dallas, maybe there is no other reason to stay with a struggling Tampa Bay team. Maybe he'll feel the need to return home to Montreal and play for the hometown Canadiens!!!!

I guess we'll see what happens in the off-season eh.
Absolutely, should make for some interesting threads here on the Boards.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

I have to agree with you.

Not to mention it's about a lock that TB is drafting Stamkos this summer.. There is a chance they'd rather build around him then Lecavalier. Or they might opt to try and retain both. It's hard to say, but they have alot of things they need to try and get that'd be more important then holding on to two star centers (as has been seen already with Richards). They need better goaltending, they need work on defense and they still need more top 6 forwards.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post

Not to mention it's about a lock that TB is drafting Stamkos this summer.. There is a chance they'd rather build around him then Lecavalier. Or they might opt to try and retain both. It's hard to say, but they have alot of things they need to try and get that'd be more important then holding on to two star centers (as has been seen already with Richards). They need better goaltending, they need work on defense and they still need more top 6 forwards.
If they were smart they'd draft Stamkos (which they will already) but then trade Vinny and Marty to get young NHL-ready players and a great goalie to build around Steven. That requires a huge committment from a team that won the Cup not too long ago. They could follow the formula of the Marlins, win then rebuild right away.

I mean the package they could get for Vinny at the deadline or even before would be disgusting. St. Louis too.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post

I wouldn't put money on TB drafting Stamkos. I think it'd be much wiser for them to pick either Doughty, Pietrangelo or Bogosian.
They have a really bad defensive corps that needs help ASAP.

Old
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I wouldn't put money on TB drafting Stamkos. I think it'd be much wiser for them to pick either Doughty, Pietrangelo or Bogosian.
Jeff Halpern is their 2nd line centre. They have Boyle, Ranger, Kuba and Smaby coming up.

Their defence is not as bad as people think. No #1 goalie hurt a lot too.

Stamkos is the clear-cut #1 player, they will pick him, you don't get the opportunity to get a player of his calibre often.

Old
05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
It's been discussed already, while I *do* agree with you from a "needs" perspective they should infact draft Doughty due to their horribly porous Defense-corps. These days it seems GM's prefer to draft the best player available, regardless of the team's current needs. See Price 2005.

Not to mention I think I've seen somewhere on this forum that Tampa's management has more less already stated they are taking Stamkos?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Russeltown

What goes around comes around ()... Here we go again !!!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If they were smart they'd draft Stamkos (which they will already) but then trade Vinny and Marty to get young NHL-ready players and a great goalie to build around Steven. That requires a huge committment from a team that won the Cup not too long ago. They could follow the formula of the Marlins, win then rebuild right away.

I mean the package they could get for Vinny at the deadline or even before would be disgusting. St. Louis too.
Lecavalier is 28, in his prime and to be quite honest, Stamkos i doubt will ever be better than Lecavalier.

The return the team could get for Lecavalier is irrelevant, imagine what the Penguins could get for Crosby?..or Malkin?..

And do you realise how beneficial it would be to Stamkos to be mentored by Lecavalier and St-Louis?..
St-Louis might be traded one day, but i dont think Lecavalier will. Only way would be for him to use his UFA status and move, or ask to be traded.

I still think they should pick Doughty though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Jeff Halpern is their 2nd line centre. They have Boyle, Ranger, Kuba and Smaby coming up.

Their defence is not as bad as people think. No #1 goalie hurt a lot too.

Stamkos is the clear-cut #1 player, they will pick him, you don't get the opportunity to get a player of his calibre often.
Im supposed to be impressed with Boyle Smaby Ranger and Kuba ?

They need a lot more help on D than on O..2nd in the league for most GA compared to a pretty average GF.

I know they'll most likely pick Stamkos, but personally id go for a D.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-19-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old
05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Lecavalier is 28, in his prime and to be quite honest, Stamkos i doubt will ever be better than Lecavalier.

The return the team could get for Lecavalier is irrelevant, imagine what the Penguins could get for Crosby?..or Malkin?..

And do you realise how beneficial it would be to Stamkos to be mentored by Lecavalier and St-Louis?..
St-Louis might be traded one day, but i dont think Lecavalier will. Only way would be for him to use his UFA status and move, or ask to be traded.

I just meant rebuilding as an option and I think it might be a strong one come the trade deadline as Vinny will be a UFA, the Lightning will be out of the playoffs yet again, so why not trade him for a huge return? It is not irrelevant, it is a likely situation.

And like mentioned previously, they have no need for defence. Their problem was goaltending and offence apart from the Big Three. And this only worked because they were over-worked.

Stamkos is going to be a franchise player. He could turn out better than Vinny. Remember, Vinny pretty much sucked until a couple years ago. He'd always have mediocre seasons based on the type of player he was projected to be. It's not too far off to believe Stamkos will have similar numbers.

Old
05-19-2008, 03:38 PM

The only way I can see Lecavalier in a Habs jersey is if Tampa trades him. After reading this article I'm not surprised superstar UFAs don't come to Montreal.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Those 3 D-man are all excellent players, but that Stamkos kid is something else. I'd be very surprised if Tampa passes on him, even with their weak defense.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

First Lecavalier may be in his prime but his team isn't. He and St-Louis are like two jewels in a sea of crap. Either way they are still a bad team and they won't move forward or backward with them in there. Heck they finished last even with Richards in there. People are saying the Senators should undertake a youth movement even with the big three still in there because the ship have sailed and given the lack of depth after the first line they new new to rebuild under stronger foundation. I can see arguments for and against that. Still...it's worth thinking about it. So can you imagine the position Tampa Bay is in? Except for picking first in the draft they are in a worse position is Ottawa are in. In reality it should be outright panic, it should be a fire sale right away, the same as Toronto. In fact getting that first pick should be the linchpin to building something great, new and strong.

Second not picking Stamkos would be insane for anybody anywhere anytime anyplace, whatever the needs are.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Those 3 D-man are all excellent players, but that Stamkos kid is something else. I'd be very surprised if Tampa passes on him, even with their weak defense.
Agreed, even if they want defensive help right now, they can get better value by trading their 1st then picking a D-man with it.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
http://seenstamkos.com/

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 06:46 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
No excuses!
This is a sexual related question.. but I need to know.

Do you have horns?

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote