HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rocket Richard's top ten greatest moments?

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Rocket Richard's top ten greatest moments?

First to 50? First to 500? Semiconscious cup winning goal? 3 overtime winners in one playoff series? 5 goals and all three stars? All-time leading scorer or goal scorer?

What's the top ten for you?

Old
05-19-2008, 02:55 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
When he scored all 5 goals in a game against Toronto.

To me it's the semiconscious cup winning goal.

Old
05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
le_sean

The fact that an entire city rioted because he got suspended must have made him feel pretty cool.

Old
05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Al Bundy*

I say it's the five-goal-game where he was named all three stars.

P.S. Changed my profile, avatar, and signature.

What do you think?

Old
05-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Mathieu21

Send a message via MSN to Mathieu21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
When he scored all 5 goals in a game against Toronto.

To me it's the semiconscious cup winning goal.
Did he really score all five goals in a game against Toronto?

Old
05-19-2008, 04:08 PM
rmchahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
I say it's the five-goal-game where he was named all three stars.
Ditto.

Old
05-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

When he punched the ref. That must have been awesome. How can a player lose his mind so much that he has to turn around and beat the **** out of a ref? It must have been strange to witness that. Such was the temper and fire of the legend that was Maurice Richard. I bow down to this awesome dude.

Old
05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

His greatest moment was when he hitted a referee in the face. Hell Yeah!!

..and his 50 goals in 50 games, of course.

Old
05-19-2008, 04:59 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu21 View Post
Did he really score all five goals in a game against Toronto?
yes he did score all five goals in a game against toronto

Old
05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Was Raycroft's grand father in net?

Old
05-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Was Raycroft's grand father in net?
Maybe Cloutier's father?!

Old
05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Maybe Cloutier's father?!
Oh! No! No! No!

You got it all wrong... I heard in the streets that Cloutier's father was into a beach ball making business. He was a really successful man... Ironic isn't it?

Old
05-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Megaforce

That five goal game happened during the war. All of the fit men were over doing their patriotic duty. So Richard was playing against a bunch of cripples and old timers. He'd probably be a fourth liner at best if he were around nowadays. Here's a column that expresses it - it's funny but true.

Old
05-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
That five goal game happened during the war. All of the fit men were over doing their patriotic duty. So Richard was playing against a bunch of cripples and old timers. He'd probably be a fourth liner at best if he were around nowadays. Here's a column that expresses it - it's funny but true.
You are jesting right?

Quoting the Onion

Was a funny article though

Old
05-19-2008, 05:40 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
And was named to be all three stars [trois étoiles] of the game.

Imagine the consternation of the fans when he was initially named the third star of the game which is announced first; who was going to be named the second & first must have been going through the minds of the fans at the time!!

I would say that one of his finest moments came many years after he had retired and he received the standing 15 minutes ovation at the closing of Le Forum. What an emotional moment and a show of appreciation for his many exploits on the ice and his dedication to Les Habs.

As a young man in the US Navy at the time, I was at that game in Boston in March 1955 that precipitated his suspension and subsequent riot in Montreal but don't remember much about the game or the incident, not realizing it was going to turn out to be a historical hockey moment. I believe he hit a linesman [George Hayes?], not a ref. Remember that a ref observes an altercation and doesn't get involved.

In addition, it should be noted that Dick Irvin always used to goad 'Le Rocket' into some of his outbursts during a game and that was his last year coaching Les Glorieux, Selke let him go.

Old
05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
His greatest moment was when he hitted a referee in the face. Hell Yeah!!

..and his 50 goals in 50 games, of course.
He with the Slapshot avatar. umm...

Old
05-19-2008, 09:32 PM
anarmandaleb

When he scored all five games in a goal against Toronto... no wait.
When he goaled all five scores in a game against Toronto... wait.
When he gamed all five goals in a score against Toronto... that's not it either.
Right, it must be when he scored all five goals in a game against Toronto.

Seriously, that semiconscious cup-winning goal is the most awesome.

Old
05-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Name calling, a true sign that you're in over your head.

Check your facts. Richard's five goal game took place during the war when opposition rosters were depleted. That wartime season was the only season Richard scored 50 goals. Sure he was a good hockey players but if he was a real hero he'd be fighting Nazis in Europe like the real great young Canadian men of his era. Hockey is nothing compared to putting your life on the line to defend your country and saving lives. Let's put stuff into perspective here.

I don't mind if people want to get little stiffies about this guy, but singling him out is pretty random. Why not venerate some other good player from the past, like Newsy Lalonde, Howie Morenz or Doug Harvey? Supposedly he represented some element of French Canadian nationalism, but that means nothing to me, I'm not French and French Canadian nationalism hasn't done a whole lot of good for me.

A true hockey lover wouldn't fall for the hype. Why doesn't Montreal celebrate the two Stanley Cups the Maroons won at the Forum? They were just as much a Montreal team as the Habs. Montreal Canadiens Inc and a certain element of the media world pushes their version of things on us. They're just one element of the greatness of local hockey history. Let's celebrate the whole thing.
Lets face it. First, Wikipedia is your friend and this is while reading on your new friend Wikipedia that you will learn that he was not sent to the front because of old wounds. So basically, he was the best hockey player of the inapts. And even after that, he still put decent numbers

I do not think that a guy that is almost a ppg through all of his career (0,98) in regular season and 0,94 in the playoff while being a quebecer who were badly treated during that period is not worth being called a really good player. He had heart not like players that have all the talent they want but no heart.

Old
05-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Megaforce

I'm not sure what you're talking about now, but Jan Bulis scored five goals in a game too and that was against real hockey players.

Stephane Richer scored 50 goals too, as did Guy Chouinard. There's a lot of good hockey players who score a lot of goals try really hard. They grow old and we mostly forget them. Why we want to venerate and worship one in particular seems a bit random.

And you owe me an apology for name calling.

Old
05-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about now, but Jan Bulis scored five goals in a game too and that was against real hockey players.

Stephane Richer scored 50 goals too, as did Guy Chouinard. There's a lot of good hockey players who score a lot of goals try really hard. They grow old and we mostly forget them. Why we want to venerate and worship one in particular seems a bit random.

And you owe me an apology for name calling.
Lets call the WAAAAAAAAAbulance

I am talking about PPG

Richer or Chouinard aren't close to a PPG in their career

Old
05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Canadiens1958

Quote:
Impressive since he would be 86 years old.

Old
05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Lets call the WAAAAAAAAAbulance

I am talking about PPG

Richer or Chouinard aren't close to a PPG in their career
Nor did they dodge the war and play against replacement player scrubs. They played against faster, bigger, fitter players.

Richard in 1944 was playing against minor leaguers. He was a war profiteer. While other hockey players from Quebec and the rest of Canada were off sacrificing their lives, dodging bullets and liberating the oppressed from concentration camps, Richard was scoring goals on guys who didn't belong in the big leagues. Canadian war veterans are dear to the hearts of the people they saved. You can choose to worship Maurice Richard, but remember what true heroism is. It isn't hockey.

Old
05-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Nor did they dodge the war and play against replacement player scrubs. They played against faster, bigger, fitter players.

Richard in 1944 was playing against minor leaguers. He was a war profiteer. While other hockey players from Quebec and the rest of Canada were off sacrificing their lives, dodging bullets and liberating the oppressed from concentration camps, Richard was scoring goals on guys who didn't belong in the big leagues. Canadian war veterans are dear to the hearts of the people they saved. You can choose to worship Maurice Richard, but remember what true heroism is. It isn't hockey.
this is a friggin hockey forum, not an army veteran appreciation Golden book

Old
05-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

What a mean-spirited crock of sh..! Why weren't such HOF players as Ted Lindsay and Syl Apps in the army? They were old enough to serve.

As for his 5 goals in a game, he came close to repeating it in the 1950s against Gump Worsley, when he scored 4 goals against the Rangers in Madison Square Garden.

Look up Richard's goals per season in the postwar years and compare it with Gordie Howe's. You'll find that Richard frequently scored more goals than Howe, who played for a powerhouse Red Wing team. Richard also had a much higher career goals per game average than Howe: 0.556 vs. 0.453. Over an 82-game season, it would be 45.6 goals vs. 37.2. Richard scored more goals than Howe in 6 separate seasons that they were in the NHL together. In playoff games, Richard was a much more dangerous goal scorer, with 82 goals in 133 games (0.617) vs. 68 goals in 157 games (0.433).

Old
05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Canadiens1958

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
What a mean-spirited crock of sh..! Why weren't such HOF players as Ted Lindsay and Syl Apps in the army? They were old enough to serve.

As for his 5 goals in a game, he came close to repeating it in the 1950s against Gump Worsley, when he scored 4 goals against the Rangers in Madison Square Garden.

Look up Richard's goals per season in the postwar years and compare it with Gordie Howe's. You'll find that Richard frequently scored more goals than Howe, who played for a powerhouse Red Wing team. Richard also had a much higher career goals per game average than Howe: 0.556 vs. 0.453. Over an 82-game season, it would be 45.6 goals vs. 37.2. Richard scored more goals than Howe in 6 separate seasons that they were in the NHL together. In playoff games, Richard was a much more dangerous goal scorer, with 82 goals in 133 games (0.617) vs. 68 goals in 157 games (0.433).

Syl Apps was in the army but you are correct that many NHL regulars and HHOFers were not because earlier hockey injuries or physical problems had made them unfit to serve yet they were able to continue playing hockey.

Maurice Richard held the record for career play-off overtime goals - 7. Given that many of the NHL HOFERS who had longer careers never scored one, this is somewhat amazing.

My father, a WWII veteran and a POW in Germany never disrespected the war time players.

Closed Thread