HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Offseason Rumor/Trade proposal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
I think Hossa will end up in San Jose.

They're over 10 mil under the cap as it is now.

With JR and other contracts coming off the books, AND the cap going up to about 56 next year...

Smaller market = less pressure.
Winning team = guaranteed playoff birth every year.
Warm weather year round.
Can get the contract he wants and not handicap his team from going out and adding more pieces.

Hossa makes so much sense for San Jose.

The only problem they would have is picking which of Hossa or Cheechoo gets to play with Thornton. And the other will play with Marleau.

Think Pittsburgh's PP was good this year? Imagine that PP? With Campbell on the point. Yikes.

Old
05-19-2008, 10:27 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
imagine orpik, commodore or vishnevski on our defense for us, actually knocking someone down if they go near king hank

Old
05-19-2008, 10:35 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

San Jose is $10MM under the cap because the owner wants to be $10MM under the cap. Part of the reason is that the ownership group has a huge debt service from buying the team. More likely scenario to consider -- Pittsburgh has one year before Malkin and Staal's entry contracts expire. I could see them signing Hossa and then trading him after next season. There's always a market for a scorer.

Old
05-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

With JR and other contracts coming off the books, AND the cap going up to about 56 next year...

Smaller market = less pressure.
Winning team = guaranteed playoff birth every year.
Warm weather year round.
Can get the contract he wants and not handicap his team from going out and adding more pieces.

Hossa makes so much sense for San Jose.

The only problem they would have is picking which of Hossa or Cheechoo gets to play with Thornton. And the other will play with Marleau.

Think Pittsburgh's PP was good this year? Imagine that PP? With Campbell on the point. Yikes.
I'd imagine Hossa would rather go to a bigger market after just coming out of Atlanta. But I could be wrong.

I think if we sign Jagr, theres no way we'll be going after some of these big names. Not only for the cap, but because of what it will take to pull them from their teams. Gaborik is most likely going to require Dubi, but then who will center the Jagr line? Do we bring up AA and hope he can have the same success with Jagr that Dubi did? Honestly that's not too bad of an idea. I just don't know if AA could handle second line minutes, let alone 1st line minutes.

Dubi + Sanguinetti + 1st 08 + 2nd 09 for Gaborik

Prucha + Tyutin + 4th 08 for Pitkanen

Gaborik (6.3) - Gomez (7.36) - Dawes (900k) 14.56
Korpikoski (1.02) - AA (850k) - Jagr (5) 6.87
Avery (2.8) - Drury (7.05) - Callahan (575k) 10.43
Byers/Orr (1.15) - Betts (615k) - Sjostrom (800k) 2.565

Staal (826k) - Pitkanen (4)
Girardi (1.6) - Orpik (2.5)
Backman (2.3) - Hutchinson (500k)
Potter (542k)

Hank (6.875)
Vally (800k)

Total: 54.363mil
Dead Space: 1.5mil

Final: 55.863

Just barely makes it if the cap hits 56mil. But I'm not sure I like it. I feel like we're still missing some pieces. But I suppose that could be solved the following season somehow. However, if Jagr leaves after next season, we automatically eat into the cap he leaves behind by resigning Gaborik.

I'd just rather see us go after a UFA PP guy like Liles or Streit.

Old
05-19-2008, 10:50 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
San Jose is $10MM under the cap because the owner wants to be $10MM under the cap. Part of the reason is that the ownership group has a huge debt service from buying the team. More likely scenario to consider -- Pittsburgh has one year before Malkin and Staal's entry contracts expire. I could see them signing Hossa and then trading him after next season. There's always a market for a scorer.
I don't see Pittsburgh taking the risk.

If they can get Hossa to sign at a discount, then he'll be back in Pittsburgh.

I really can't see Pittsburgh taking the chance of handcuffing themselves if they can't get rid of Hossa to deal with Malkin and Staal's contracts. Teams will look to handcuff Pittsburgh just like they did with Jersey when they were screwing themselves capwise. They lost Gomez and Rafalski in one off-season and went from a somewhat feared team to a completely mortal and barely above average team.

Pittsburgh will keep Crosby/Malkin together for years just like Detroit did with Yzerman/Fedorov.

Old
05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd imagine Hossa would rather go to a bigger market after just coming out of Atlanta. But I could be wrong.
The difference between a small market like Atlanta and a small/mid market like San Jose is that San Jose is a favorite to win the West every year.

They have arguably the best goaltender in the league, they have a incredibly talented young veteran group (27-29 year old range) and a great group of young players.

Second best team in the league through the regular season and they have so much cap space to play with it's not even funny.

After disappointing early exits in the second round for the last how many years, they will be doing what ever it takes to bring the Cup to San Jose.

Hossa on that team makes so much sense that it is ridiculous. By simply signing Hossa and re upping Campbell would make that team the instant favorite for the Cup every year for the foreseeable future.

They could add Hossa AND Campbell and still have enough space to add more guys like Ryder.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Michalek - Thornton - Cheechoo
Marleau - Pavelski - Hossa
Ryder/Malone/Rolston/UFA - Mitchell - Setoguchi
Clowe - x - Grier

Just a quick look at what their forwards could look like, never mind their D.

That is sick.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Michalek - Thornton - Cheechoo
Marleau - Pavelski - Hossa
Ryder/Malone/Rolston/UFA - Mitchell - Setoguchi
Clowe - x - Grier

Just a quick look at what their forwards could look like, never mind their D.

That is sick.
That is sick, but aren't they 10 mil under the cap now because Campbell isn't counting against their cap yet? I mean, San Jose would need about 18.5 mil in free cap next season to sign Campbell (6), Hossa (8.5) and Malone (4). That seems a little far fetched doesn't it?

I understand your point about them being a competitive team, but I remember reading an article a while back about how Hossa wasn't fond of the fact he wasn't recognized walking the streets of Atlanta. I don't know that San Jose would be much of a change from that.

But that's not saying it's beyond the realm of possibility either.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:11 AM
otto1219

Quote:

Dubi + Sanguinetti + 1st 08 + 2nd 09 for Gaborik
pass. no way i give up dubi after the year he had as a rookie.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I don't see Pittsburgh taking the risk.

If they can get Hossa to sign at a discount, then he'll be back in Pittsburgh.

I really can't see Pittsburgh taking the chance of handcuffing themselves if they can't get rid of Hossa to deal with Malkin and Staal's contracts. Teams will look to handcuff Pittsburgh just like they did with Jersey when they were screwing themselves capwise. They lost Gomez and Rafalski in one off-season and went from a somewhat feared team to a completely mortal and barely above average team.

Pittsburgh will keep Crosby/Malkin together for years just like Detroit did with Yzerman/Fedorov.
Why would Hossa take a discount? And what kind of discount? He's making 7M right now.

05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
You wouldn't give up Dubi for a 40 goal scorer? Sheesh.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:21 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

I don't foresee the Rangers including Dubinsky in ANY deal right now. Aside from Henle and Staal, he's the least likely Ranger to be included in a trade. Frankly, I believe he's on track to be this franchise's version of Rod Brind'Amour, and, likely to become as much the face of the franchise as Staal. He's already become a player that the press goes to for comments. Again, it's the presence of Dubinsky that will move Drury to the wing, once Anisimov is ready.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:22 AM
otto1219

Quote:
gaborik scored over 40 goals once, last year, his best year, he is an average 60-65 point getter. Dubi can grow to be that, let alone you are giving up our 1st round pick and our top defensive prospect besides staal.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
No, I wouldn't give up a player who could be on his way to being the best center in the system, a player, who as a rookie, has already shown he has NO problem playing in NY, and has also shown a fair amount of maturity and leadership, not to mention, the probabilty that he can play a physical game. Again, aside from Staal and Henke, there is no player LESS likely to be dealt this off-season than Dubinsky.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
gaborik scored over 40 goals once, last year, his best year, he is an average 60-65 point getter. Dubi can grow to be that, let alone you are giving up our 1st round pick and our top defensive prospect besides staal.
Hard to draw that kind of conclusion when he managed to score 38 in 65 games, and 30 in 48 games. If this season was any indication of how his groin has healed, he's going to be a perennial 40+ goal scorer.

I just want to know what people are planning on doing with all of our centers.

Everyone wants a scoring winger for Gomez, but nobody is willing to give up the pieces necessary to acquire one, or the UFA options aren't good enough for them.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
otto1219

furthermore if you are going to be trading for someone on the wild, trade for brent burns, 6'5 220, pp quarterback, 15 goals this year, huge hitter, (remember what he did to prucha) if the wild would trade away their best goal scorer why not trade away their best dman. hes a little more than 3.3 a year.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
furthermore if you are going to be trading for someone on the wild, trade for brent burns, 6'5 220, pp quarterback, 15 goals this year, huge hitter, (remember what he did to prucha) if the wild would trade away their best goal scorer why not trade away their best dman. hes a little more than 3.3 a year.
Because he's a little more than 3.3 a year, their best D-man, hasn't expressed he's unhappy in Minnesota (like Gaborik has) and isn't on the verge of becoming a UFA.

Not to mention, trading for Gaborik wasn't even my idea to begin with. I was simply drawing out what it would take to field that roster at the beginning of the season.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
The New Originals

Quote:
Since the lockout, Gaborik has scored 110 goals and 96 assists in 190 games. Regardless of whether or not you feel it would be right to trade for him, he still is undoubtedly one of the most dangerous wingers in the league.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:35 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Hard to draw that kind of conclusion when he managed to score 38 in 65 games, and 30 in 48 games. If this season was any indication of how his groin has healed, he's going to be a perennial 40+ goal scorer.

I just want to know what people are planning on doing with all of our centers.

Everyone wants a scoring winger for Gomez, but nobody is willing to give up the pieces necessary to acquire one, or the UFA options aren't good enough for them.
I'm more than willing to trade Anisimov for Gabs, would even trade Cherry or sangs. Dubi i wouldn't move though.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I'm more than willing to trade Anisimov for Gabs, would even trade Cherry or sangs. Dubi i wouldn't move though.
None of them have the value that would pull Gaborik away from Minnesota. Would you trade Staal for a bunch of guys who haven't played in the NHL yet?

Old
05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
None of them have the value that would pull Gaborik away from Minnesota. Would you trade Staal for a bunch of guys who haven't played in the NHL yet?
Different situation...Staal's is not a pending UFA...if Staal was going to leave, and the equivalent of someone like Cherepanov or sanguinetti was part of the deal coming back, I'd have no problem with it.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
but what exactly is his trade value. Doesn't his trade value drop if he makes it clear he isn't returning. Look at what Atlanta got for Hossa who is just as good. A couple third liners, an prospect, and a first rounder. You're telling me that a package of lets say Anisimov, Cherry and a 2nd isn't comparable. or Anisimov, Sauer, Bourret, Prucha and a 2nd, or Anisimov, Girardi, and a 1st wouldn't work? There are tons of combinations that could be thrown together that might work. The more problems that Gabby is having over there the less it will take to land him.

Again look at Hossa. Three years ago he was traded for Dany heatly. Now b/c he wasn't going to re-sign they really got nothing great for him (which pisses me off b/c we should have made a stab for him. We have better prospects than Pitt).

Old
05-20-2008, 09:53 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
I love Dubinsky but suggesting that he and Gaborik are potentially in the same class is just silly.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Different situation...Staal's is not a pending UFA...if Staal was going to leave, and the equivalent of someone like Cherepanov or sanguinetti was part of the deal coming back, I'd have no problem with it.
You might take that as it reads, but do you think that'd be the only offer? It's not like Minnesota is sitting back to deal exclusively with us. We offer Cherepanov + Sanguinetti + 1st and (for example) San Jose offers Carle + Michalek + 1st. Now, as Minnesota, who do you take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
but what exactly is his trade value. Doesn't his trade value drop if he makes it clear he isn't returning. Look at what Atlanta got for Hossa who is just as good. A couple third liners, an prospect, and a first rounder. You're telling me that a package of lets say Anisimov, Cherry and a 2nd isn't comparable. or Anisimov, Sauer, Bourret, Prucha and a 2nd, or Anisimov, Girardi, and a 1st wouldn't work? There are tons of combinations that could be thrown together that might work. The more problems that Gabby is having over there the less it will take to land him.

Again look at Hossa. Three years ago he was traded for Dany heatly. Now b/c he wasn't going to re-sign they really got nothing great for him (which pisses me off b/c we should have made a stab for him. We have better prospects than Pitt).
He's still signed through the 08-09 season. Getting a player a full season before they hit the free market isn't the same as renting a player for 2 months at the end of the season.

If you want to rent Gaborik at the end of the year, sure, Anisimov + Callahan + 1st might work, but then again even Hossa cost a former 1st rounder, a depth player, a top prospect and a first.

I like Dubi as much as the next guy. I'm just here to play devils advocate.

Old
05-20-2008, 10:07 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why would Hossa take a discount? And what kind of discount? He's making 7M right now.
That's my point.

It's not happening because Hossa wants top dollar on the market.

The only way I could see them bringing him back is if he took like 4-5 mill for 1 year for another solid chance at the cup, and I don't see that happening.

He's going to ask for at least 5 years, 40 million.

Closed Thread