HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - MLB - Expos

Old
05-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Russeltown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Im going July 5th to yankee stadium to watch my bosox
Cool, I hope you'll celebrate the 4th of July there too!

I might go to Fenway on June 6, 7, 8... Boston vs. Seattle Mariners!!!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Cool, I hope you'll celebrate the 4th of July there too!

I might go to Fenway on June 6, 7, 8... Boston vs. Seattle Mariners!!!
I will not be in the US for July 4th.

...June 6-7-8 i cant go...Its my bday weekend and tradition is..Grand Prix!!!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:41 AM
JrHockeyFan

I absolutely cannot get used to AL ball with a DH.

The Expos were a fond past-time from day one. Hard to really get into it now

I go to a lot of Cards games with a friend. We are going to see them play the Red Sox next month at Fenway. I am gradually getting interested but it will never be a passion again

It is a three way tie for folks in baseball I can't stand: Loria, Selig, and the Montreal Expos consortium owner group. May they all suffer permanent indigestion

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 07:23 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I absolutely cannot get used to AL ball with a DH.

The Expos were a fond past-time from day one. Hard to really get into it now

I go to a lot of Cards games with a friend. We are going to see them play the Red Sox next month at Fenway. I am gradually getting interested but it will never be a passion again

It is a three way tie for folks in baseball I can't stand: Loria, Selig, and the Montreal Expos consortium owner group. May they all suffer permanent indigestion
I went to opening day religiously. One of the last of the Loria era saw the fans in our section chanting "LORIA SUCKS' thru a good part of the game.

Opening day would usually see a lot of casual fans, glad to take a day off work.

One guy turns to the guy next to him and says, 'who's this Gloria ?'

Guy beside him, 'I dunno, but I'd like to meet her'.

You sum up the 3 villains of the perfect storm, perfectly. I guess Bronfman saw where the business was going and wanted no part of it. Too bad. I was always a bit surprised or suspicious that he never saw or reacted to, the $ signs in Brochu's eyes.

I've started to regain a bit of interest this year, a bit. There's some good young players out there that I like, but frankly, I have a hard time caring about a team. If I had to chosse, I lean a bit towards the Jays, but I don't really care. I enjoyed watching Boston win, now they're just the Yankees with a bit of self-rtighteousness attached. Like the 2nd richest kid in class should be more popular ?

I can look at the Expos 2 ways. I can remember how I felt after G3 of the 81 semis after Rogers beat the Dodgers, 4-1 on a Jerry White homer. We were to wound up to go home, so my friend and I went into the Aird Tavern to kill an hour. On Hochelaga st., you could still hear the Steve chant.

I can forget the last time I went, opening day that was up against G1 of the Tampa series where the stadium was so humid and the atmosphere so bleak that you just knew that the Expos were already gone.

So yeah, Beetles Bailey has a fonder place in the memory banks that Ryan Church, who I trust will someday be given daily cold water enemas.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
My new baby

very nice TDG

Old
05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I went to opening day religiously. One of the last of the Loria era saw the fans in our section chanting "LORIA SUCKS' thru a good part of the game.

Opening day would usually see a lot of casual fans, glad to take a day off work.

You sum up the 3 villains of the perfect storm, perfectly. I guess Bronfman saw where the business was going and wanted no part of it. Too bad. I was always a bit surprised or suspicious that he never saw or reacted to, the $ signs in Brochu's eyes.

I've started to regain a bit of interest this year, a bit. There's some good young players out there that I like, but frankly, I have a hard time caring about a team. If I had to chosse, I lean a bit towards the Jays, but I don't really care. I enjoyed watching Boston win, now they're just the Yankees with a bit of self-rtighteousness attached. Like the 2nd richest kid in class should be more popular ?

I can look at the Expos 2 ways. I can remember how I felt after G3 of the 81 semis after Rogers beat the Dodgers, 4-1 on a Jerry White homer. We were to wound up to go home, so my friend and I went into the Aird Tavern to kill an hour. On Hochelaga st., you could still hear the Steve chant.

I can forget the last time I went, opening day that was up against G1 of the Tampa series where the stadium was so humid and the atmosphere so bleak that you just knew that the Expos were already gone.

So yeah, Beetles Bailey has a fonder place in the memory banks that Ryan Church, who I trust will someday be given daily cold water enemas.
Never a huge baseball fan but the Expos were very close to my heart. Even in the Expos heydays, I had no interest in watching baseball if the Expos didn't play.

I loved the Expos although they broke my heart so many times. I will never forget Blue Monday, or Steve Carlton shutting them down to eliminate us, or Willie Stargell coming in with his We Are Family Pirates and eliminating us on the last week of the series, or the lockout robbing the city of the best team the Expos ever assembled.

I will never forget the feeling of waking into Jarry Park or the Big O for that matter, walking up the ramp towards the field and seeing the players take batting practice or fielding for the first time. There is just something that is very difficult to explain.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

I know I am probably going to get flamed but I have been following the Nats since the team left Montreal.... I also follow the Jays in the AL.....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
I know I am probably going to get flamed but I have been following the Nats since the team left Montreal.... I also follow the Jays in the AL.....
why would you get flamed?
Your allowed to cheer for them. i know some friends who still stayed loyal to the nats and go to 3 games a year in DC

Old
05-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
why would you get flamed?
Your allowed to cheer for them. i know some friends who still stayed loyal to the nats and go to 3 games a year in DC

Some people are really bitter that the SPOS left and would never cheer for the city that they relocated to....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Some people are really bitter that the SPOS left and would never cheer for the city that they relocated to....
Following the Nats is like being happy for your ex wife because she marries a guy with more money than you, then asking him to play golf. It's against the code.

Old
05-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

I personally have 4 bubblehead dolls. 1 Gary Carter, 2 Dennis Martinez and 1 Vladimir Guerrero. I loved the Expos real hard. I was a die hard fan of this team, in fact it was the only sports team that made me cheer for them that hard. I wasnt missing any games at CKAC.

In my house, I have official Jerseys and caps, I also have few autographied things and even a few recordings of Jacques Doucet's games at radio.

I miss the Expos.
I wish death to Bud Selig evey time I can remember to do so.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Following the Nats is like being happy for your ex wife because she marries a guy with more money than you, then asking him to play golf. It's against the code.
I followed the Nats in their first year because they had a lot of ex Expos I liked but after they changed a lot of things I despise them.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
I miss the Expos so hard...

I have to go to the Yankee Stadium AND the Fenway this year, to cure my need of Baseball...

My all-time favourite players for the Expos are:

1. Henry Rodriguez
2. Pedro Martinez
3. Vladimir Guerrero
My top 5

1) Pedro Martinez
2) Vladimir Guerrero
3) Andres "Le Gros Chat" Galarraga
4) Tim Wallach
5) Larry Walker

H.M.: Grissom, Alou, DeShields, "Huguette" Urbina, Wilkerson...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Beakermania*

Raines, Dawson and Carter have to be part of any all-time expo teams.

Remember Delino Deshields too... I thought he had a cool name... and was a good second baseman.

The closer on that 94 team who played for the Yankees after was awesome too... can't remember his name....

and who was the early 90s SS??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Remember Delino Deshields too... I thought he had a cool name... and was a good second baseman.

The closer on that 94 team who played for the Yankees after was awesome too... can't remember his name....

Delino was awsome
i have him in my top 3 a couple of pages back.

good defensivly, and often on base. was a threat with his speed

I also liked John Wetteland

Old
05-20-2008, 05:30 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

John Wetteland, he said he would take a pay cut to stay with the same team in 1995 as did Walker and Grissom...but it wasn't meant to be.

Old
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Fun fact from the 1994 Expos: From July 18th to August 11th the Expos went 20-3 and went from being 2 games back from Atlanta to 6 games ahead when the strike hit.

Old
05-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:

early 90's SS...I remember Wil Cordero, he later became a 3rd basemen I believe.

Archi Cianfrocco also played all over the infield

Old
05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:

you forgot about the part where you met your (future) wife instead of catching a game

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:10 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Missing the Expos, but not missing baseball at all. Selig can kiss my ass.
My sentiments exactly. I was a die-hard Expo fan until 1994. The Expos were having their best season ever and a labor strike wiped out half the season and World Series. The strike was supposed to be to level the playing field between big and small market teams. It didn't and Brochu started his series of fire sales after that. The last couple of seasons with the Expos in Montreal were very hard to watch. With the still emerging steroid issue, I'll never pump another dime into MLB.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Fun fact from the 1994 Expos: From July 18th to August 11th the Expos went 20-3 and went from being 2 games back from Atlanta to 6 games ahead when the strike hit.
I was in Atlanta to watch the three game series with the Expos when the plug was pulled in 1994. It took over 6 months to get reimbursed for the tickets.

Old
05-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I tried to become an Angels fan after the Expos died. They had Vladdy, they even got Cabrera for a period of time but I just couldn't do it. Eventually, the free Blue Jays tickets I seemed to be getting left and right got me to might as well cheer for them.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:17 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post
My top 5

1) Pedro Martinez
2) Vladimir Guerrero
3) Andres "Le Gros Chat" Galarraga
4) Tim Wallach
5) Larry Walker

H.M.: Grissom, Alou, DeShields, "Huguette" Urbina, Wilkerson...
1. Woody Fryman (was at the Big O when he won a cow milking contest)
2. Mack Jones
3. Vlad Guerrero
4. Al "Scoop" Oliver
5. Bill Lee

I guess my memory is more old school and more of characters as favorite players to cheer for.

Old
05-21-2008, 04:18 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
early 90's SS...I remember Wil Cordero, he later became a 3rd basemen I believe.

Archi Cianfrocco also played all over the infield
Wasn't there a Spike something??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 07:23 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
you forgot about the part where you met your (future) wife instead of catching a game
I remember leaving our wedding reception and the best man leaning in close and giving me the score. Pretty sure they beat the Reds that night.