HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bob Gainey Named Sporting News Executive of the Year

Old
05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500

Discuss.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:40 PM
MathMan

Carbonneau was second in coach of the year voting as well.

Personally, I think Gainey is a deserving choice, but there are others who might have won with little to separate them. Still, I think it's significant that the voting was done by "hockey executives"... I wish I could know if they were GMs, or lower-ranked execs...

On another note, there will be lots of shouting for guys like Holmgren or Shero, because they did a lot of noisy, whiz-bang trades. It really needs to be recognized that doing radical surgery may be showy, but knowing when NOT to do radical surgery is also an extremely valuable trait.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Carbonneau was second in coach of the year voting as well.

Personally, I think Gainey is a deserving choice, but there are others who might have won with little to separate them. Still, I think it's significant that the voting was done by "hockey executives"... I wish I could know if they were GMs, or lower-ranked execs...

On another note, there will be lots of shouting for guys like Holmgren or Shero, because they did a lot of noisy, whiz-bang trades. It really needs to be recognized that doing radical surgery may be showy, but knowing when NOT to do radical surgery is also an extremely valuable trait.
I think the vote was taken mainly in the Society For Stoic Men.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
In bob I trust

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think the vote was taken mainly in the Society For Stoic Men.
Well, it was a vote of GMs or such, and that likely includes Brian Burke. So I think you're wrong!

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:16 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, it was a vote of GMs or such, and that likely includes Brian Burke. So I think you're wrong!

Very clever....well done!

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
le_sean

Well according to some on here he is one of the worst GMs in the league. I'd leave it to the experts to decide and not a bunch of 12 year old kids.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Recognition for a solid man, fodder for the Troll Gun , repellent for the Leafdom pests that infest my home from time to time, but unless this gets us a re-do on the Flyers series I don't see this as anything that realistically can change my life.

That said, Gainey's chances for finding food as a NHL predator are best served by laying in the lower parts of the weeds. I find discomfort in this as I am sure Gainey does.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Habbiebo0gie

Well, it pains me to do this, but here we go:

Gainey

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
The article mentioned 28 Executives being involved in Gainey's vote-in. Assuming 29 other teams were eligible to vote for him it only stands to reason that Burke resigned his position and is in transition to the Leafs. That is the only rational explanation.

Old
05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Guillemin

He's certainly a good executive, but apart from the draft, he'd never strike me as the type of GM who would get an "of the year" award.

If there was an award for "not overpaying for supposed star forwards who would not have helped us in the playoffs", I guess he'd win that (Briere and Hossa)

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
He's certainly a good executive, but apart from the draft, he'd never strike me as the type of GM who would get an "of the year" award.

If there was an award for "not overpaying for supposed star forwards who would not have helped us in the playoffs", I guess he'd win that (Briere and Hossa)
I think this was a long-term award, recognition for 4 seasons of work, and a vision that finally started to pay off this year, rather than an award specifically for the moves made in the last 12 months.

While the award is obviously based on this year's success on the ice... it was made possible by 4 seasons (5 years) of work off the ice by Gainey.... If that makes sense

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Habbiebo0gie

I think part of the reason why his peers voted him as top executive is that they understand how hard it is for him to not succumb to the pressure of the job, especially in Montreal. He could easily have gone the other way, sign a bunch of UFAs simply because the fans want him to, make a bunch of trades simply because the fans want him to, etc. He didn't, he decided to be patient, regardless of what was being said about him by the media and the fans. He was also very adamant in getting rid of "problematic players" that he felt was detrimental to the team (Ribeiro, Theodore, etc.), even though it might have come at the cost of alienating many fans. His peers probably felt that these decisions were very hard ones to take in an environment like Montreal, and I think that's why he is regarded so highly by them.

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Gainey has done a good job with the Habs and as a Habs fan I appreciate what he has done for the Canadiens organization, but, (and despite the fact that I dislike the guy) I feel Paul Holmgren has done a more amazing job as Flyers GM in just one year!

Consider that the Flyers finished (I believe) 2nd last in the entire league in '06 - '07 and with some savy trades and free agent signings, Flyers finished in the "final four" (playoffs) just one year later, with the biggest team improvement in points total within that period of time!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I think this was a long-term award, recognition for 4 seasons of work, and a vision that finally started to pay off this year, rather than an award specifically for the moves made in the last 12 months.

While the award is obviously based on this year's success on the ice... it was made possible by 4 seasons (5 years) of work off the ice by Gainey.... If that makes sense
It does indeed.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:11 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Gainey has done a good job with the Habs and as a Habs fan I appreciate what he has done for the Canadiens organization, but, (and despite the fact that I dislike the guy) I feel Paul Holmgren has done a more amazing job as Flyers GM in just one year!

Consider that the Flyers finished (I believe) 2nd last in the entire league in '06 - '07 and with some savy trades and free agent signings, Flyers finished in the "final four" (playoffs) just one year later, with the biggest team improvement in points total within that period of time!
Very good points, Holmgren has definitely taken the Flyers places...will they stay there? Were they brutal underachievers the year before? Holmgren could very well be the GM of the year for sure...BG winning is somewhat of a surprise, but a nice surprise...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Very good points, Holmgren has definitely taken the Flyers places...will they stay there? Were they brutal underachievers the year before? Holmgren could very well be the GM of the year for sure...BG winning is somewhat of a surprise, but a nice surprise...
One factor in BG's favour, is Montreal's Cap situation going forward is a lot better than Philly's.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post

I think it's all a matter of being in the proper perspective. Holmgren isn't handcuffed by tax laws and he handed out some pretty heavy contracts. Sure they finished nicely...but it seems to me all the stars were aligned for them too. I'd be really surprised if Biron, Hatcher and several others ever again play like they did against the Habs.

Considering all his constraints...the pressure of Montreal, the taxes etc. I'm of course, not surprised that the rest of the GM's in this league (IE, those that are the most qualified in the entire world to make this judgment), picked Gainey as the best of the best.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
I think it's all a matter of being in the proper perspective. Holmgren isn't handcuffed by tax laws and he handed out some pretty heavy contracts. Sure they finished nicely...but it seems to me all the stars were aligned for them too. I'd be really surprised if Biron, Hatcher and several others ever again play like they did against the Habs.

Considering all his constraints...the pressure of Montreal, the taxes etc. I'm of course, not surprised that the rest of the GM's in this league (IE, those that are the most qualified in the entire world to make this judgment), picked Gainey as the best of the best.

Your points about taxes etc are well taken and certainly the future success of the Flyers (or any other team for that matter) is always a question -- certainly in today's NHL!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Flyers will struggle for the foreseeable future to make the playoffs, and will much of that time fail to reach the measuring stick.

If that's taking the Flyers places, than that isn't a place I want Gainey to be.

Old
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:

Gainey

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Garnet

holmgrem also walked in with pilars in place. Carter Richards and such. He also made some great moves!! I still wonder what Clarke does behind the seems.

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Doc Hock

Bobbie walks the halls waiting to deliver another 2 hander to an unsuspecting Russian

doc hock

p.s. great vote for Gainey & Co

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 06:05 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post

all the stars were aligned for them ???

Don't forget that Gagné didn't play most of the season .

Their GM made an incredible job last summer , because he didn't touch to his youth like Leafs have made soo much time . They have a lot of young and very good players with them , so i beleive that they are going to be a competive team for a long time .

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
all the stars were aligned for them ???

Don't forget that Gagné didn't play most of the season .

Their GM made an incredible job last summer , because he didn't touch to his youth like Leafs have made soo much time . They have a lot of young and very good players with them , so i beleive that they are going to be a competive team for a long time .
Yeah I doubt this was a one-year thing. When you're led by guys like Richards, Carter, Gagné and Coburn, who are all young, you should compete for a while. Giroux coming up too. Only thing is finding a good young goalie since Biron won't be there forever and they don't really have anyone that great in their system.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote