HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Gets Extention

Old
05-17-2008, 11:03 AM
PattyLaLa16

vCash: 500
At the bottom of the article it says that Calla could be signed by monday or tuesday.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...0,164909.story

PattyLaLa16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:14 AM
PanthersRule96

Three years is a lot to pay him after firing him if he doesn't sign Frolik

Frolik's not stupid and neither is his agent. He's got a way better chance of playing for us than he does for the majority of teams around the NHL, and of the other teams where he might see more icetime, i.e. Atlanta or a team like that, they'll be worse than us. There are also plenty of Czech players on our team and he's mentioned before how he knew Olesz. We have Kreps, Olesz, and some Slovaks in Stumpel, Zednik, so that's four guys right there that he'd instantly be able to fit in with.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Slick, we've been mediocre for the 8 years before he got here. I'll be the first in line to say we needed a new coach, but he's been a good GM.

I just don't think Martin is going to be bitter as some have suggested and pick some guy that will drive the organization into the ground. His name is attached to whomever comes in to coach. Why would he not want the best guy out there to come in here. I just can't figure out why he'd want anything less.
I never said he would try to fail on purpose or intentionally pick someone who will drive this organization into the ground. He will make what he thinks is the right decision but I just do not have any confidence that it will be the right one, a guy who failed at the job of coach should NOT pick the next coach. He was asked to step down as coach, he didn't volunteer that, so he was in plain terms fired from his coaching duties. But now he is in the position, with an extension to boot, to pick the guy who will try do what he couldn't do. Just seems odd to me. And yes we have been mediocre for years, much because we keep hiring GM's and coaches who are hired becasue of who they know and not what they bring to the table, moreso than any team in the league. I just hope that he has a real interview process and picks the best coach available, and just does not hire the buddy he has already been speaking with that is a clone of him and we just don't know about yet.

Last edited by Slick Cat: 05-17-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Alright, we locked up the best GM in the league for another few years!!! Now that JM knows he will be GM for a long time with the Panthers & now that he can focus only on GM(And not Coach/GM) I predict he will get what this team needs to reach the next level. If you think about it really. Right now, we are a playoff team(Excluding the injuries). If we pick up a scoring winger to play on that top line and IMO a veteran(Gary Roberts type) who can help our young team get over their playoff jeters(From never playing there) we can really make an impact in the playoffs next year.
Best GM in the league?????? Shouldn't we make it through a couple of playoff rounds, or at least make it to the FIRST round before he gets that title? When he gives away Ollie, which he will do because it is clear he wants him out, for a couple of maybees and has beens then lets revisit. He has a lot to do this offseason.

Major areas:

Frolik must be signed, losing his rights would be incredibly emabarrasing and another examplae to the league of our mediocrity as an organization.

Bouw must be signed long term this offsseason or traded for at least a first line scoring forward and an adequate replacement defenseman

If Ollie is traded, which he shouldn't be, he better get good value in players ready to contribute now to make up the 35 goals a year he puts up every single year with third-fourth line caliber line mates.

Upgrades are needed up front.

Depending on how he comes out of these four we will either be contenders or losers again.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Best GM in the league?????? Shouldn't we make it through a couple of playoff rounds, or at least make it to the FIRST round before he gets that title? When he gives away Ollie, which he will do because it is clear he wants him out, for a couple of maybees and has beens then lets revisit. He has a lot to do this offseason.

Major areas:

Frolik must be signed, losing his rights would be incredibly emabarrasing and another examplae to the league of our mediocrity as an organization.

Bouw must be signed long term this offsseason or traded for at least a first line scoring forward and an adequate replacement defenseman

If Ollie is traded, which he shouldn't be, he better get good value in players ready to contribute now to make up the 35 goals a year he puts up every single year with third-fourth line caliber line mates.

Depending on how he comes out of these four we will either be contenders or losers again.
No we shouldn't, as GM he has been one of the best in the league. He has signed some of our core young stars to long term deals and has acquired some really great talent for this club over the last couple years. The future never looked so bright for this team in terms of prospects and such. He has really turned this organization around from where it was at when he took over the GM responsibilities. The not getting into the playoffs part your refering to is not GM Martin's fault, it is coach Martin's fault.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
No we shouldn't, as GM he has been one of the best in the league. He has signed some of our core young stars to long term deals and has acquired some really great talent for this club over the last couple years. The future never looked so bright for this team in terms of prospects and such. He has really turned this organization around from where it was at when he took over the GM responsibilities. The not getting into the playoffs part your refering to is not GM Martin's fault, it is coach Martin's fault.
He went from best to one of the best to you, but in my opinion he is not even close.

JM the GM allowed JM to coach and picking a head coach is one of the most important things a GM will do. He is the same guy so I don't think it makes sense to completely forgive him as a GM when the team failed again. He is the GM that resigned Stumpel and Peltonen who did NOTHING. He is the GM who refused to get a tough guy until the owner forced him to. He is the GM that signed Maclean, Zednik and Dvorak to upgrade our forwards. Aside from a better second half from Maclean and a two week hot stretch from Zednik, we got pretty much zero production out fo thsoe 5 signings. Did he do some good things? of course, but it was not such groundbreaking approach signing Weiss, Horton and Allen. All of the teams are doing it with their young players, if he didn't do it he would not be doing his job at all. Getting Vokoun turned out well but one could argue that he was not very consistent and had his off nights at the absolute worst times. And it was Anderson, not Vokoun, who picked us up when we needed it.

Depnding on how he deals with the areas I mentioned in an earlier post, we will see.

Old
05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
He went from best to one of the best to you, but in my opinion he is not even close.

JM the GM allowed JM to coach and picking a head coach is one of the most important things a GM will do. He is the same guy so I don't think it makes sense to completely forgive him as a GM when the team failed again. He is the GM that resigned Stumpel and Peltonen who did NOTHING. He is the GM who refused to get a tough guy until the owner forced him to. He is the GM that signed Maclean, Zednik and Dvorak to upgrade our forwards. Aside from a better second half from Maclean and a two week hot stretch from Zednik, we got pretty much zero production out fo thsoe 5 signings. Did he do some good things? of course, but it was not such groundbreaking approach signing Weiss, Horton and Allen. All of the teams are doing it with their young players, if he didn't do it he would not be doing his job at all. Getting Vokoun turned out well but one could argue that he was not very consistent and had his off nights at the absolute worst times. And it was Anderson, not Vokoun, who picked us up when we needed it.

Depnding on how he deals with the areas I mentioned in an earlier post, we will see.
Do you have any proof of this? I've never heard anything along those lines.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:34 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:

Major areas:

I'd actually want more proof of this.

All we've ever seen is baseless speculation of the huge rift between the two. Ollie not traded at the deadline? Huge blow to the Martin regime, he'll be out this offseason.

It's ridiculous. I'm sick of the assumptions some people have to make to make themselves feel better about their past wild accusations.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

I can't STAND Stumpel and have never liked the guy on the team, but it's hard to argue his not being re-signed based on his numbers from the previous season.
Peltonen isn't a scorer and not a 1st line guy, but he was great last season after his injury on the checking line.
Zednik's always been streaky and McLean, imo, overacheived which to me affirms Olli as a playmaker.
Dvorak was brought in to help on the PK mostly, which he did.

I'm not really trying to sugarcoat things, ut I think they were more filler for holes so Martin could plug other areas and look at the team as a whole. It was his first offseason and there were(and still are) plenty of issues on this team that need to be sorted out.

So far as the enforcer, Martin likes guys that aren't big liabilities. The enforcers available were all that, at least greater than Belak is. Koci, Shelley, Winchester, etc. are guys who were available but weren't his liking. A lot of people have said that he should have gotten Belak sooner, and while we needed an enforcer years ago and I was one of the biggest voices in that, but I don't think Belak himself was available until the deadline. JFJ was in there until just before the deadline and he may not have been willing to trade their only enforcer. Ferguson was challenged to fix the team, thus Belak was made available.

Martin's NOT the best in the NHL, but he's not been a slouch.

05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Do you have any proof of this? I've never heard anything along those lines.
Cohen said it at the meeting. He said he was telling JM all year that we needed to get an enforcer because he weas tired of watching our young guys get pushed around.

Old
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
I'd actually want more proof of this.

All we've ever seen is baseless speculation of the huge rift between the two. Ollie not traded at the deadline? Huge blow to the Martin regime, he'll be out this offseason.

It's ridiculous. I'm sick of the assumptions some people have to make to make themselves feel better about their past wild accusations.
To me it's obvious from the things he has repeatedly said in the media, and I have read that Cohen has blocked Ollie trades already and he alludes to this inthe meeting by saying that he can no longer protect him. I hate to say it, and I really hope I am wrong, but he is gone.

Old
05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
To me it's obvious from the things he has repeatedly said in the media, and I have read that Cohen has blocked Ollie trades already and he alludes to this inthe meeting by saying that he can no longer protect him. I hate to say it, and I really hope I am wrong, but he is gone.
I don't think Olli is gone just yet. I believe he will start the season in a Panthers uniform & JM will see how we do during the first part of the season. When we get close to the trading deadline, if it looks like we are doing great and the Playoffs are just about a sure thing I think Olli stays. If it's reversed and we are still chasing the Playoffs like the last few seasons, Olli is gone for sure.

At least we know that if Olli does get traded, with Martin as GM we will receive some pretty good players in return.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Cohen said it at the meeting. He said he was telling JM all year that we needed to get an enforcer because he weas tired of watching our young guys get pushed around.
Its like like he can go poof and all of a sudden Belak appears. We got one now thats all that matters.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Its like like he can go poof and all of a sudden Belak appears. We got one now thats all that matters.
there are always tough guys available and there have been all season, I could understand if we waited around for the perfect tough guy and we got a guy that can play some productive minutes as well, but it's not hard to find a guy that can serve as an enforcer and play 5 minutes or less a game,

we do have one now but think of the injuries we suffered and the losses we suffered this past season due to this lack of presence

Old
05-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
there are always tough guys available and there have been all season, I could understand if we waited around for the perfect tough guy and we got a guy that can play some productive minutes as well, but it's not hard to find a guy that can serve as an enforcer and play 5 minutes or less a game,

we do have one now but think of the injuries we suffered and the losses we suffered this past season due to this lack of presence
I think you're forgetting he picked up Murray to serve as an enforcer back in November - not Martin's fault the guy lasted 7 games. Thing is, JM was trying to get someone that would be serviceable on the ice, not cost too much, and be adequate to get the job done.

Ultimately we got Belak, so as Meatloaf said, "two out of three ain't bad".

05-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I think you're forgetting he picked up Murray to serve as an enforcer back in November - not Martin's fault the guy lasted 7 games. Thing is, JM was trying to get someone that would be serviceable on the ice, not cost too much, and be adequate to get the job done.

I think Murray was supposed to be fill-in until we got a true enforcer, but he went down right away. Wish it didn't take so long, but I'm very glad that Belak is here.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Yes, guys like Koci were available, but Martin wanted someone who's not a defensive liability and won't take dumb penalties that hurt the team. He's one of the better enforcers out there skill wise and discipline wise, and that's something that Martin seemed to want. Believe it or not, guys like that are hard to find. How many actually good enforcers(i.e. not guys like Koci) changed teams this season? Not very many at all, until the deadline, because guys like Belak were then made available. It was rumored all season that Martin was interested in Belak, and he finally got the guy he wanted. The Leafs weren't going to trade him earlier in the season when they were still in the playoff hunt.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post

In the few games he played, Murray was terrible as a player, and the few fights he had he got pounded. Hardly an enforcer, just the cheapest available option at the time.

Old
05-26-2008, 10:21 AM
jol

Quote:
How would you compare him to other GMs, for example to Ray Shero?
Both started two years ago, Shero before the draft (drafted Staal). Both have signed some core players to long term contracts, maybe Shero has been active during the season.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote