HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Blake Wheeler - A Boston Bruin on 7/1/08

Old
05-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Blake Wheeler - A Boston Bruin on 7/1/08

Former 5th overall pick in the 2004 draft; is 6'4" and 220 pounds. Phoenix is rumored to have trouble signing him. I suppose this would fall under the same scenario as Michal Frolik in Florida, but would any of you want for the Rangers to try and trade for his rights? I believe he is too old to be drafted again, so he would be a UFA if Phoenix fails to sign him. Would you take your chances there? Could this be the big winger the Rangers so desperately need? Fire away with your thoughts!

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Phoenix will sign him, book it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Phoenix will sign him, book it.
I actually think, if anything, Frolik goes unsigned rather than Wheeler.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I actually think, if anything, Frolik goes unsigned rather than Wheeler.
I actually agree. I'm merely speculating here. Count me ecstatic if the Rangers can land either Wheeler or Frolik.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

If he goes unsigned I'd love to grab him. But as everyone else is saying, I think they'll get him back. However, I do remember seeing an article a few weeks ago saying something about Wheeler not being interested in resigning unless it was to a decent amount of cash. I might be wrong about that though.

Edit:

Nevermind I was confusing two different things. Here's a bit of info on it for anyone who is cloudy on Wheelers situation:

Quote:
"He is using the CBA loophole that allows a player who is in college, has passed the four-year mark since being drafted, and is not yet a senior to issue a letter notifying the team that drafted him that they have 30 days in which to sign him. If Phoenix fails to sign Wheeler within the month, he becomes a free agent." So if he doesn't get signed by June 1st, Wheeler becomes a FA and Phoenix gets a second round pick in this years draft as compensation.
Took that from the Vancouver board.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Cruxial

No Wheeler...bring back Simon Wheeldon!

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If he goes unsigned I'd love to grab him. But as everyone else is saying, I think they'll get him back. However, I do remember seeing an article a few weeks ago saying something about Wheeler not being interested in resigning unless it was to a decent amount of cash. I might be wrong about that though.

Edit:

Nevermind I was confusing two different things. Here's a bit of info on it for anyone who is cloudy on Wheelers situation:

Took that from the Vancouver board.
wow if he is an ufa, i can see sather doing this. if they already knew that they wont sign him, i wonder why he was not traded in the montoya deal.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
the supposed issue with Wheeler is money. But because he is grandfathered under the old CBA, he can get more $$ in phoenix than the present rookie maximum. If he doesn't sign with PHX, he will fall under the rules of the new CBA and get less money. The Coyotes will have him signed in time.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:30 PM
The Fuhr

Imagine a future line combo of Anisimov and Wheeler.

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbern39 View Post
No Wheeler...bring back Simon Wheeldon!

Talk about a scorer ! AHL, that is....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Ola

I like Wheeler, but imagine how many teams would be after him if he became a UFA...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I like Wheeler, but imagine how many teams would be after him if he became a UFA...

The NYR.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

The NYR.

Natrually we would be in a good position. Like I am sure Slats could give him whatever max we are talking about -- and take the 3-4m cap hit the first season, with most of it comming back when he don't reach all the bonuses. And comming here and getting a chance to play with Gomez would certainly be pretty intriguing for him. And NYC.

But you can also bet on that Detroit, Philly, Colorado, Toronto, Vancouver and co all would promise him spots on top 2 lines and write blanc checks.

Old
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I've never heard of him

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Based on what I have seen in college, he is at best a journeyman NHL player. Of course, if the cost is only money I wouldn't have any objection to signing him and seeing if I am wrong.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Can't see Phoenix letting him go. TGO took a flyer on the kid.

05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:

Natrually we would be in a good position. Like I am sure Slats could give him whatever max we are talking about -- and take the 3-4m cap hit the first season, with most of it comming back when he don't reach all the bonuses. And comming here and getting a chance to play with Gomez would certainly be pretty intriguing for him. And NYC.

But you can also bet on that Detroit, Philly, Colorado, Toronto, Vancouver and co all would promise him spots on top 2 lines and write blanc checks.
the only thing is his issue is about the money. But he can get more money in Phoenix because he is still under old CBA rules unless he signs with another team in which he can't get as much money.

Old
05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
ogie

I dunno, it maybe money or it maybe that he doesn't want to play in PHX so he is demanding a ton of money. Either way PHX has about a month to sign him before he goes UFA

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

There are worse places to not want to play than Phoenix. It sounds like he can get more money there than anywhere else and Phoenix is a young, up and coming team, coached by Wayne Gretzky. Wheeler would be stupid to want to play anywhere else because that team, unlike many others in the North and East will actually play the kids when they are rebuilding.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
There are worse places to not want to play than Phoenix. It sounds like he can get more money there than anywhere else and Phoenix is a young, up and coming team, coached by Wayne Gretzky. Wheeler would be stupid to want to play anywhere else because that team, unlike many others in the North and East will actually play the kids when they are rebuilding.
hmm, the Rangers have integrated kids steadily in each of the past 4 seasons.

as have the flyers, the habs, and countless other teams, most of whom are much closer to the cup than the 'yotes, and most of whom would play him just as easily as the yotes would. Im not saying Phoenix is a terrible place to play, Im saying your last sentence there...well, lets just say i dont agree with it.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:25 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

Have you seen him play? The only place he would be on the top 2 lines right now is Hartford. C'mon guys, be a little more realistic about these players talent level. Just because he was picked #5 doesn't mean a damn thing three years later.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
I dunno, it maybe money or it maybe that he doesn't want to play in PHX so he is demanding a ton of money. Either way PHX has about a month to sign him before he goes UFA
They have 10 days to sign him.

He becomes a UFA as of June 1st, I believe.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
he can only get the rookie max from another team (800k) or around 950k from PHX.....The Yotes will sign him. They drafted him as a project guy and he has come a very long way. If they don't sign him, they will be compensated with a pick and will have 3 picks in 4 spots in the 2nd round so not all will be lost.

Old
05-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Shadowtron

Meh. If he’s really good the Pens will sign him. If he’s average good, then Slats will low-ball him long enough for Philly to put together a contract offer. Then it’ll be chalked up to ‘questionable personality/commitment’ issues, none of which are exhibited by Robert Lang, or whichever dead-career savior the Rangers turn to next.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Have you seen him play? The only place he would be on the top 2 lines right now is Hartford. C'mon guys, be a little more realistic about these players talent level. Just because he was picked #5 doesn't mean a damn thing three years later.
I haven't seen much of him, but I've seen him play. He is big and very smooth. He handles the puck really well. If teams are promising Fabian Brunnström a spot in the big league I can't see how they wouldn't promise Blake Wheeler the same thing.