HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How Team Canada was picked.

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2004, 05:59 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
How Team Canada was picked.

http://www.canoe.com/Slam040523/col_gross-sun.html

A quote from Pat Quinn

"We coaches were involved in the original team selection in February. Rick Nash was on the list then. Then, the night before the official team announcement, we were told who had been selected."

It appears that the GM's Gretzky, Lowe, Tambellini, and Nill got together with the coaches (Quinn, Hitchcock, Martin, and Fleming) at the all-star game in February and put together an initial list of 40-45 players.

The list was then cut into the final roster by the GM's with no input from the coaching staff.

Old
05-23-2004, 06:22 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
http://www.canoe.com/Slam040523/col_gross-sun.html

A quote from Pat Quinn

"We coaches were involved in the original team selection in February. Rick Nash was on the list then. Then, the night before the official team announcement, we were told who had been selected."

It appears that the GM's Gretzky, Lowe, Tambellini, and Nill got together with the coaches (Quinn, Hitchcock, Martin, and Fleming) at the all-star game in February and put together an initial list of 40-45 players.

The list was then cut into the final roster by the GM's with no input from the coaching staff.

This is interesting because I heard Wayne Gretzky say that Martin, Hitchcock, and Quinn were present via conference call on the day before, which was when they apparently made some crucial decisions on the team.

And I also heard Wayne Gretzky in an interview with TSN after the press conference saying that no player was picked without going around the room, making sure all the managers AND coaches were in full agreement on a player.

Old
05-23-2004, 06:23 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs_1983_shannonman
This is interesting because I heard Wayne Gretzky say that Martin, Hitchcock, and Quinn were present via conference call on the day before, which was when they apparently made some crucial decisions on the team.

And I also heard Wayne Gretzky in an interview with TSN after the press conference saying that no player was picked without going around the room, making sure all the managers AND coaches were in full agreement on a player.
Comments I've seen from Hitchcock are very consistant with the above comments fro Quinn.

Old
05-23-2004, 06:31 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Comments I've seen from Hitchcock are very consistant with the above comments fro Quinn.
Click on this link:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

And then click on the interview that Bob McKenzie and James Duthie did with Wayne Gretzky, it is near the bottom of the page in the "Audio/Video" section. The interview is titled "Gretzky talks to TSN".

In that interview, Gretzky makes it clearly obvious that the coaches did have some say in the matter, referring to things such as "the managers and coaches are all a part of this group" and "if there is one person in this group not on board with one selection, then we discuss it until every person is on board", on more than one occassion.

Old
05-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Dave Carlson

Quote:
Click on this link:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

And then click on the interview that Bob McKenzie and James Duthie did with Wayne Gretzky, it is near the bottom of the page in the "Audio/Video" section. The interview is titled "Gretzky talks to TSN".

In that interview, Gretzky makes it clearly obvious that the coaches did have some say in the matter, referring to things such as "the managers and coaches are all a part of this group" and "if there is one person in this group not on board with one selection, then we discuss it until every person is on board", on more than one occassion.

After the announcement Hitchcock was quoted in the post game, in reference to the non-selection of Primeau, to somethign along the lines of he was not involved in the final selection.

Old
05-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
If you honestly believe that you are stupid because no way do they fill out a complete roster that way.

Old
05-24-2004, 08:55 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
If you honestly believe that you are stupid because no way do they fill out a complete roster that way.

Hey, I was just quoting Gretzky.

Listen to that audio clip I gave the link to above and you will hear the same thing.

And also, various news outlets reported that the coaches would be present in the selection process via conference call.

I personally feel that the coaches would have had some say in the matter, and they are only denying it so they can't be accused of "playing favourites".

Yes, both Quinn and Hitchcock are saying the same thing, but it wouldn't have been hard for them to agree on the stories they have been telling everyone.

Old
05-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Hey, I was just quoting Gretzky.

Listen to that audio clip I gave the link to above and you will hear the same thing.

And also, various news outlets reported that the coaches would be present in the selection process via conference call.

I personally feel that the coaches would have had some say in the matter, and they are only denying it so they can't be accused of "playing favourites".

Yes, both Quinn and Hitchcock are saying the same thing, but it wouldn't have been hard for them to agree on the stories they have been telling everyone.
Im not saying they werent involved, but that quote said no player was chosen without unaminous consent. There is no possible way every player was a consensus pick, especially with team canada.

Closed Thread