HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Jagr offered $12,000,000 by Dynamo Moscow

Old
05-22-2008, 12:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
10 years ago Jags would of taken the money, today I don't think he would.
He's at a point where he's on a team that can go the cup if they commit to it.
Wouldn't you want one more shot at the cup? I know I would.
I don't really know what to think. It will become clear(er) when numbers start getting discussed.

05-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Canadiens1958

WHA Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
First off, competition is good. Hopefully, the KHL does create opportunities for players and this will get the NHL to react in a positive way.

Second, this reminds me of the WHA days. I think the reasons why that league failed were because of lack of financial support (which the KHL has at the moment) as well as the lack of use of NHL type arenas. I think a lot of the WHA teams were playing in 12000 seat arenas compared to 16,17 or 18000 seat arenas. Of course, if you're not worried about the decrease in gate revenues, then it's not a problem.

From my POV, I think it all boils down to how many North American players would like to play in Russia versus how many European kids would like to play in the North America. I think the odds are greater for European kids like Finns and Swedes to come over to live in places like Miami, Dallas, LA versus Omsk or Ufa.

And I wouldn't say it's all a higher standard of living, I think it's also language issues. Most of the Swedish and Finnish players coming over already speak a little if not fluent English. How do you think they'll get around these Russian cities speaking Swedish?

One of the main reasons the WHA failed was the lack of any significant TV exposure.
Today that would not be an issue.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
One of the main reasons the WHA failed was the lack of any significant TV exposure.
Today that would not be an issue.
Are you kidding? Today it's even more of an issue. Look at the crappy exposure the NHL gets! Many AHL teams have little or no local TV coverage of their games. College hockey has better coverage than most AHL teams.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
This is the dumbest thing I have EVER heard. A russian team offers a 36 year old 12 million US Dollars to play hockey. I will bet my net worth that jagr--in what we call "REALITY"-- has not been offered anywhere near this amount. wake up if you believe this. this is worse than USSR ****
cmon..this is kind of an ironic statement isn't it? i hope jagr doesnt re-sign though, the guy is a beast and I dont want to have to face him again next year.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:35 PM
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
not enough to cover 30 teams and have good hockey too watch. We need the Euro players badly. If less Euro's came you will see more defensive styles of hockey, and more watered down hockey. This is not being biased either, its just logic.
Actually, history shows that the more "wattered down" the league is, the more offense there will be.

Remember that European hockey is ULTRA-DEFENSIVE and if there were no Europeans in the NHL, guys like Crosby could skate around many of the fringe players like pylons.

The Big Dog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Are you kidding? Today it's even more of an issue. Look at the crappy exposure the NHL gets! Many AHL teams have little or no local TV coverage of their games. College hockey has better coverage than most AHL teams.
I don't know, recently Versus is pulling in better ratings than ESPN was for hockey and having NBC as a TV partner doesn't hurt either.

The TV situation for the NHL is just fine.

The Big Dog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:39 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habitant View Post
Actually, history shows that the more "wattered down" the league is, the more offense there will be.

Remember that European hockey is ULTRA-DEFENSIVE and if there were no Europeans in the NHL, guys like Crosby could skate around many of the fringe players like pylons.
hmmmm than how did all the grabbing and defensive hockey come about in the 90's. it was because of all the expansions, and players that didn't belong in the league playing in the league.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habitant View Post
I don't know, recently Versus is pulling in better ratings than ESPN was for hockey and having NBC as a TV partner doesn't hurt either.

The TV situation for the NHL is just fine.
Well, yes & no. The VS/NBC deal is significantly lower than the previous ESPN/ABC deal, so while ratings are up, the total revenue is down. Not to mention that VS is only available in 80% of the households that ESPN is, and now despite ratings (a percentage of households covered by the network) being up, the total audience is actually down.

Old
05-22-2008, 12:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

The article is vague. $12 million over 2 years? For one season?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
In the NYTimes article about Yashin in Russia, it talked about this beautiful arena in a town of tenement housing, and how dreary the lifestyle is there. While this may not be true of every team owner, there has so far been little investment in the communities of these teams outside of the arenas and salaries paid to the players.
I need to go back and find this article and link it to this thread. Although it had a pretty misinformed spin on the situation, it did illustrate the ideals of the league.

This isn't about a crazy contract offer or whether a North American player would WANT to live in a derelict town in Russia. It's about building the prestige of a league in an attempt to make it a viable option to the NHL, and maybe someday, develop it into something even more prestigious. European players come to the NHL because it's the top level of the sport, not for some burning desire to shack up in East St. Louis or Columbus, Ohio. If someone can build a more reputable league, players will go play there, wherever it is.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I need to go back and find this article and link it to this thread. Although it had a pretty misinformed spin on the situation, it did illustrate the ideals of the league.

This isn't about a crazy contract offer or whether a North American player would WANT to live in a derelict town in Russia. It's about building the prestige of a league in an attempt to make it a viable option to the NHL, and maybe someday, develop it into something even more prestigious. European players come to the NHL because it's the top level of the sport, not for some burning desire to shack up in East St. Louis or Columbus, Ohio. If someone can build a more reputable league, players will go play there, wherever it is.
Here's the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/sp...yt&oref=slogin

Again, it's not about the validity of building a new league that helps raise the quality of hockey around the world, but the crazy money that's being thrown around to create it. What happens when that well runs dry? Who's going to pick up those teams?

Old
05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
TomLaidlaw

Damn Russians. First, Ivan Drago kills Apollo Creed, now this. How many insults can we take? The only logical response to this is that we must now invade Russia.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:52 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If all the elite leagues in the world got together, there could be a world league with such a high quality product unlike in any other pro sport in the world... save football(soccer).

Imagine if all the top markets in each European league got on board for a world league?

Cut the fringe NHL markets.

Have, lets say 25 teams in the NHL.

You could find AT LEAST that many teams throughout Europe to join.

You could have the league set up much like MLB. Where the European league mostly plays within and the North American league plays within. With exception to each team taking a short trip over seas every year in inter-league play.

Have the playoffs the same, and the winner of each region plays for the Cup.

If Bettman and the NHL really wanted to better the sport, not just their own selfish gains, then they could do this.

Imagine having Frolunda in NY? Or Moscow Dynamo? On a road trip?

Imagine having a Cup final series in a neutral location every year, where fans from the WORLD come to see.

How can you go wrong with that. Then the stars of the world would have no issue staying or leaving any country, it would all be the same league with the same trophy.

60 teams compete for the Memorial Cup every year.

Why not have about that many compete WORLD WIDE for the Stanley Cup?

It would be incredible.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
squishy

This whole rumor started with Georges Laraque. In the middle of the Rangers series against the Pens. Which therefore begs the question: why are we talking about it?

Quote:
The rumor of Moscow Dynamo's offer to Jagr was made public by Georges Laraque, speaking on an Edmonton radio station in late April (thanks to James Mirtle for passing along that information, which was first reported by someone at HF Boards). The timing of that radio appearance was interesting -- Laraque's Penguins were in the midst of a playoff series against Jagr's Rangers at that moment. You have to wonder about a guy publicizing this kind of rumor about his then-current playoff opponent's top player.
http://www.blueshirtbulletin.com/200...-a-dynamo.html

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Again, it's not about the validity of building a new league that helps raise the quality of hockey around the world, but the crazy money that's being thrown around to create it. What happens when that well runs dry? Who's going to pick up those teams?
Eh, it may not have to be funded by the well forever, just long enough to get on it's feet. Although, it will take a group with deep pockets that's also, and most importantly, committed to seeing it through.

You pay Jagr $12M now for the press that such a stunt will create. If it generates more interest in the league amongst fans and hockey players, you could argue that it's a good investment.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
If all the elite leagues in the world got together, there could be a world league with such a high quality product unlike in any other pro sport in the world... save football(soccer).

Imagine if all the top markets in each European league got on board for a world league?

Cut the fringe NHL markets.

Have, lets say 25 teams in the NHL.

You could find AT LEAST that many teams throughout Europe to join.

You could have the league set up much like MLB. Where the European league mostly plays within and the North American league plays within. With exception to each team taking a short trip over seas every year in inter-league play.

Have the playoffs the same, and the winner of each region plays for the Cup.

If Bettman and the NHL really wanted to better the sport, not just their own selfish gains, then they could do this.

Imagine having Frolunda in NY? Or Moscow Dynamo? On a road trip?

Imagine having a Cup final series in a neutral location every year, where fans from the WORLD come to see.

How can you go wrong with that. Then the stars of the world would have no issue staying or leaving any country, it would all be the same league with the same trophy.

60 teams compete for the Memorial Cup every year.

Why not have about that many compete WORLD WIDE for the Stanley Cup?

It would be incredible.
PM, that's a very cool scenario, and one I would back 100%, but the expenses associated with that would be IMMENSE! Talk about financially strapping teams. How would you balance the Euro vs the Dollar? Would US teams write their cintracts in Euros like the Canadian teams used to?

Old
05-22-2008, 12:58 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
If less Euros come over, so be it. There's plenty of talent in North America. Also, only fringe Canadians and Americans would go over to Europe. Every American and Canadian hockey player dreams of one thing when they are a kid, and that's winning the Stanley Cup. If they are that good, they'll be making millions anyway.
There are some North American players that might be "fringe" in the NHL but could perfectly suited for the Euro style of play and may even like the lifestyle in Europe (though maybe not Russia specifically).

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Forechecker

One thing I could definitely see, is the KHL recruiting borderline NHL talent from the AHL and NCAA leagues at reasonable contracts. That's where the NHL might really get hurt. It'd be great for those players.

Old
05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
PM, that's a very cool scenario, and one I would back 100%, but the expenses associated with that would be IMMENSE! Talk about financially strapping teams. How would you balance the Euro vs the Dollar? Would US teams write their cintracts in Euros like the Canadian teams used to?
I'm no guru to these sort of things.

But i feel that a world wide league like that would be incredible to be a part of every year.

And unlike the NFL, MLB, and NBA instead of just claiming to have the world champ, which makes ZERO sense, our league would have the benefit of ACTUALLY having a world champ.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:05 PM
DontStepanMe

KHL will not be as big of a competition as we thought. Their salary cap will be at $23.5 mil US. But it won't allow many NA players in the league. So we would be losing Euro players but most likely only the fringe type.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

Old
05-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Forechecker

Quote:

But i feel that a world wide league like that would be incredible to be a part of every year.

And unlike the NFL, MLB, and NBA instead of just claiming to have the world champ, which makes ZERO sense, our league would have the benefit of ACTUALLY having a world champ.
Yeah, it really would. Like F1 racers are truly the best in the world.

Old
05-22-2008, 01:07 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

well the NFL does sorta make sense... nobody else in the world really plays it.

Old
05-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
KHL will not be as big of a competition as we thought. Their salary cap will be at $23.5 mil US. But it won't allow many NA players in the league. So we would be losing Euro players but most likely only the fringe type.

Here are some of the pertinent points:

Quote:
mong them: • The salary cap will be roughly $23.5 million with a salary floor of $10 million (all figures are American dollars). As to the maximum cap breakdown, about $16.7 million will cover 21 players and up to $6.8 million can be allocated for four “star” players. Three of these can be chosen freely by the club, plus another one who:
— has played not less than 40 matches (20 matches for goalkeepers) in the past NHL season.
— is a junior player of Canadian or American nationality, but younger than 20 and selected in the first three rounds of the NHL draft.
— is a player coming from European leagues that has played in the most recent world championships or Olympics.
Player transfers in the KHL will be based on the NHL model, with cash payments in the style of international soccer being abolished.
• The first Continental league draft will take place in 2009, with teams able to secure negotiating rights to both European and North American players. Each team will be able to protect three prospects from their respective junior clubs, with teams receiving compensation on a sliding scale for junior prospects they lose to other teams in the draft.
• A waiver draft will be held before each season in which each team will be able to protect 20 players (18 skaters and two goalies).
• Rosters must be not larger than 25 players, with a maximum of five international players. In any single game, teams will only be able to ice four internationals.

Old
05-22-2008, 01:14 PM
squishy

Quote:

THIS year, you are correct. But it's the league's first year in existence. Their intent is to expand the league, increase the salary cap, and entice better players each year.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:14 PM
TomLaidlaw

I can see it now. The NY Rangers visit The Urkraine Owls. LIVE ON MSG AT 3 AM

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote