HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vigneault Signs Extension

Old
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Alan Jackson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
This is a terrible decision IMO. AV had lost the lockerroom last year. He made several poor player decisions throughout the year and with the amount of quality coaches available right now, this would have been the perfect time to make a change.
Agreed 100%.

To me, the decision to start with a clean slate was a no-brainer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but if Gillis fires AV at some point this coming season, he's cost ownership hundreds of thousands of dollars, as well as potentially missing out on a lot of very good replacements.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
CFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstoppable View Post
I couldn't see Gillis bringing in a better coach than AV.
Yah, your sig sure agrees with you.

CFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
LeftCoast

It looks like Tony Granato has been promoted to head coach again in Colorado.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Agreed 100%.

To me, the decision to start with a clean slate was a no-brainer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but if Gillis fires AV at some point this coming season, he's cost ownership hundreds of thousands of dollars, as well as potentially missing out on a lot of very good replacements.

I disagree.

Firing the coach right now could possibly deter FAs from signing here due to too much uncertainty/disruption.

Apparently, Vigneault has embraced coaching the type of team that Gillis wants to see -- tough, fast, exciting.

As for the number of quality coaches available, that's always true. There are tons of great coaches out there, most of whom you've never heard of. You were all over the Bruce Boudreau for Jack Adams bandwagon when he was in the AHL last summer, right?

Also, I guarantee Gillis got ownership's assent before he extended Vigneault's contract.

I'm pretty unconvinced by your arguments here. I think Vigneault has the potential to be a great coach. If he brought a little more personality during the game, showed a little emotion, I think the team would be inspired by that. That's my only criticism. That, and maybe (if Gillis finds a suitable winger) leaving the Sedin line alone for a bit longer to gel. Minor criticisms though.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
This is a terrible decision IMO. AV had lost the lockerroom last year. He made several poor player decisions throughout the year and with the amount of quality coaches available right now, this would have been the perfect time to make a change.
Agreed. Any coach that even just thinks that they should put Byron Ritchie on the point for a PP... should not be in the NHL. I remember laughing my ass off when i was watching HNIC and there was Byron Ritchie on the point.

Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
they do post season interviews with the players. And Ferraro said the players usually don't hold back. If AV really lost the room as you say.. management would be aware of that. I'm sure AV has the room with all the major players and that's all he needs.

cyrisweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PuckMunchkin

Great news...

I'm liking Gillis a lot more now.

PuckMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Payaso619*

give or take on this one we'll see how it plays down by mid way of the next season

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Michael Scott*

I personally think Vigenault put the blame on the assistant coaches to save his own job.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:36 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb View Post
they do post season interviews with the players. And Ferraro said the players usually don't hold back. If AV really lost the room as you say.. management would be aware of that. I'm sure AV has the room with all the major players and that's all he needs.
yeah ..all this "lost the room" business is pure conjecture

Byron Ritchie was on the point because he was better at it than Brad Isbister.

the lineup was lacking, pure & simple -- a problem which injuries compounded.

I'm sure detractors will point to the 6 of 7 slide to finish as evidence of AV's losing grip. However, I think it was more just them running out of gas the time when other teams find that extra gear; after having had to play balls-out all year to hope to be competitive with such a wanting lineup.

I just hope Gillis doesn't overpay for a bunch of old guys like Knuble & Shanny

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Gillis is just covering his own butt this year by retaining Vig. Now he has a fall guy and a guy he could blame if things tank this year ... saying Vig was not my original guy and not my hire.

The hot seat is still on Gillis to bring in offence... but his cushion is Vig. if everything else fails.

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Jovofan

Gotta love when people just toss out stuff like "AV lost the locker room" without any actual proof but they'll say it so that it appears they know what they're talking about and it helps them to justify their dislike for the guy.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Gotta love when people just toss out stuff like "AV lost the locker room" without any actual proof but they'll say it so that it appears they know what they're talking about and it helps them to justify their dislike for the guy.
Gotta love when people just toss out stuff like "AV is a great coach" without any actual proof but they'll say it so that it appears they know what they're talking about and it helps them to justify their like for the guy.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
It was clear he did... Sure the Sedins would only cycle the puck, but as a coach, you are in charge of teaching the team new strategies, not shuffling your lines every shift crossing your fingers hoping to find some chemistry. Sure Nonis didn't give him enough offense to make it better, but Vigneault could have done a better job than having Burrows out there with a minute to go to tie the game... thats not Burrows' job, and if the Sedins are not producing, you dont just call them out in the media and bench them... you work with them and try and find a way for them to impove their game. Im sorry but AV does not know how to coach... and thats the bottom line. As is said earlier, why the hell was Byron Ritchie on the point when a guy like Bourdon is on the bench who knows what to do in that position.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
Gotta love when people just toss out stuff like "AV is a great coach" without any actual proof but they'll say it so that it appears they know what they're talking about and it helps them to justify their like for the guy.
Well he won a jack adams, so that automatically means hes a great coach

That award should have gone to Luongo, because he has probably contributed more as a coach to the team than AV.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Jovofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
It was clear he did... Sure the Sedins would only cycle the puck, but as a coach, you are in charge of teaching the team new strategies, not shuffling your lines every shift crossing your fingers hoping to find some chemistry. Sure Nonis didn't give him enough offense to make it better, but Vigneault could have done a better job than having Burrows out there with a minute to go to tie the game... thats not Burrows' job, and if the Sedins are not producing, you dont just call them out in the media and bench them... you work with them and try and find a way for them to impove their game. Im sorry but AV does not know how to coach... and thats the bottom line. As is said earlier, why the hell was Byron Ritchie on the point when a guy like Bourdon is on the bench who knows what to do in that position.
So having Ritchie on the PP means he lost the locker room?

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:51 PM
west in the east

Quote:
But dont you think, with all the time it took Gillis to make this move that he would have talked to the players about the room and their view of AV. The 'lost the room' argument doesnt work if there is no evidence. Naslund didnt seem to like him, but other than that there was not too much evidence that there was a dislike of him. There is evidence of him being a good coach in his Jack Addams award from last season.

Either way, Im indifferent on the move. I guess we'll see if AV can be exciting. Maybe this will give Gillis more urgency to reconstruct the top 6, which could be good.

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
2 Jack Adams awards disagree with you.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
So having Ritchie on the PP means he lost the locker room?
Did you completely just ignore my whole post and read the ending? I explained how he lost the locker room, and stated the Ritchie statement to show that AV is a bad coach. Even if he didn't lose the locker room to whatever that phrase means to you, he is still a bad coach, and didn't do a proper job last year, and all the AV fans just blame Nonis or the Sedins or Injuires.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
2 Jack Adams awards disagree with you.
Sorry, but since when has AV won 2 jack adams?

I recall one he won because of Luongo... and i seem to miss the fact where he one another won with another team?

Care to explain?

Old
05-22-2008, 02:59 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Did you completely just ignore my whole post and read the ending? I explained how he lost the locker room, and stated the Ritchie statement to show that AV is a bad coach. Even if he didn't lose the locker room to whatever that phrase means to you, he is still a bad coach, and didn't do a proper job last year, and all the AV fans just blame Nonis or the Sedins or Injuires.
Your post is full of holes...where did he bench the Sedins? Burrows/Kesler were the only ones who showed heart and determination down the stretch. Why wouldn't you want them out there? Plus Burrows is excellent at retrieving the puck.

your only point is that he put Ritchie on the PP...and apparently that wasn't his dept. Kelly or whoever it was was fired over it.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:00 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
I believe Mike Kelly was responsible for the PP.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:00 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Sorry, but since when has AV won 2 jack adams?

I recall one he won because of Luongo... and i seem to miss the fact where he won another won with another team?

Care to explain?
Montreal and Vancouver....look it up.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:01 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
He was a finalist in Montreal, not a winner.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
I had thought he had won 2 as well, but its just the one. He may have been a finalist one year with Montreal, though.