HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vigneault Signs Extension

Old
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Michael Scott*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
Your post is full of holes...where did he bench the Sedins? Burrows/Kesler were the only ones who showed heart and determination down the stretch. Why wouldn't you want them out there? Plus Burrows is excellent at retrieving the puck.

your only point is that he put Ritchie on the PP...and apparently that wasn't his dept. Kelly or whoever it was was fired over it.
Kesler and Burrows are shut down forwards, not players you want in the last minute of the game trying to tie it up.

I recall many times where he benched the sedins usually in the 3rd period, and didn't even have them on the ice for the final minutes of many games where they were down. Sure the PP wasn't working, so Mike Kelly is responsible, it's pretty obvious Vigneault is putting the blame on others to save his own job. Remember Vigeanult is the HEAD COACH... what he says, is what happens.

Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
Montreal and Vancouver....look it up.
LOL, take your own advice.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
Guess that means Naslund is all but gone. It's been a good run.

I'm not happy with this decision. Unless Gillis drastically improves the forward core which I don't think he can without overpaying severly and trading away every good young prospect the team has. We can pretty much say goodbye to Luongo too in a couple years. And then the Canucks will turn into their early '00 version of themselves.
News flash, but if you want to improve your team short-term in the new NHL, you have to overpay and trade good prospects. I liked Nonis but he was too safe in this regard. Look at Philly last summer, is Timmonen worth $6M? Is Hartnell worth $4M? No, but they both played huge roles on that team this year and helped them reach the ECF.

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
LOL, take your own advice.
Sorry...my bad. He was nominated for one in his Montreal tenure. That still doesn't change my point. Nominated twice...one once.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:16 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Kesler and Burrows are shut down forwards, not players you want in the last minute of the game trying to tie it up.

I recall many times where he benched the sedins usually in the 3rd period, and didn't even have them on the ice for the final minutes of many games where they were down. Sure the PP wasn't working, so Mike Kelly is responsible, it's pretty obvious Vigneault is putting the blame on others to save his own job. Remember Vigeanult is the HEAD COACH... what he says, is what happens.
Where are you getting all the information from? Are you in the locker room to see that the "coach lost his players"? Has any of the players come out and said this? No...you are reaching with your comments.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
Where are you getting all the information from? Are you in the locker room to see that the "coach lost his players"? Has any of the players come out and said this? No...you are reaching with your comments.
I wasn't the one to say he lost the players, that would be the Pauser, too me i gave examples of how he was a bad coach, and to me that is how he lost the players. i already made a reply on the way he would call out certain players, and shuffle lines every shift, etc.

Why is Vigneault a good coach? all i hear is people putting the blame on the other coaches, injuries, or even Nonis.... some people just don't want to accept the fact that Vigneault did a bad job last season.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
I wasn't the one to say he lost the players, that would be the Pauser, too me i gave examples of how he was a bad coach, and to me that is how he lost the players. i already made a reply on the way he would call out certain players, and shuffle lines every shift, etc.

Why is Vigneault a good coach? all i hear is people putting the blame on the other coaches, injuries, or even Nonis.... some people just don't want to accept the fact that Vigneault did a bad job last season.
which coach does not call out his players or shuffle lines? Babcock does it and so does Therrien and both teams are in the finals. Like I said, your only point that holds some ground is that Ritchie was on the PP.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Gotta love when people just toss out stuff like "AV is a great coach" without any actual proof but they'll say it so that it appears they know what they're talking about and it helps them to justify their like for the guy.
105 points, 2006/2007.

That team was the best coached Canucks team I've seen in a long time. Everyone bought in, everyone hustled, they protected leads, they back-checked, they kept their composure in pressure situations (see overtime record), and they won 49 games.

You're never going to get proof in this business, but I'll take the above over "it's been suggested he lost the room".

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:29 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
News flash, but if you want to improve your team short-term in the new NHL, you have to overpay and trade good prospects. I liked Nonis but he was too safe in this regard. Look at Philly last summer, is Timmonen worth $6M? Is Hartnell worth $4M? No, but they both played huge roles on that team this year and helped them reach the ECF.
Hey, you're preaching to the choir here. I understand it and you do, but take a look through the various threads around here. Many people don't want to give up any of the good players the Canucks have, nor overspend to get someone. Yet they expect major upgrades for this team somehow.

05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
105 points, 2006/2007.

That team was the best coached Canucks team I've seen in a long time. Everyone bought in, everyone hustled, they protected leads, they back-checked, they kept their composure in pressure situations (see overtime record), and they won 49 games.

You're never going to get proof in this business, but I'll take the above over "it's been suggested he lost the room".
That team played well for about half the season.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:32 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
I don't think they really played bad all season. They weren't getting results in November but you could tell that they were on the verge of breaking through.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

The "lost the room" comments are absurd. Total conjecture, and obviously untrue or else he wouldn't be back. But it's a neato catchphrase I guess. Whatever.

I understand those who aren't AV fans because of his style. I don't mind it, but I can see why some wouldn't. Fair enough. Not liking him because he didn't play your fave player enough is lame and puckbunny-esque. Harping about Ritchie being on the PP occasionally is a little much as well - I'm sure AV is the ONLY coach in NHL history who tries to get creative with his roster when he has no depth, right? Give me a break.

Anyways, I'm glad he's back. There's nobody out there better, and firing him just for the sake of firing him doesn't make any sense. With all the changes that are hopefully coming, some stability is good.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫

Keeping him was a knee jerk reaction.

05-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
That's right, the latter half -- once everyone figured out/bought into the system. And they didn't just play well, they played better than any team in hockey, if memory serves.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:

You are right, Kesler and Burrows are shut down forwards.. however, they were the only players showing any ability to generate offense on a consistent basis down the stretch.. and its not like they weren't scoring goals either.

The Sedin's were absolute **** down the stretch.. no emotion.. stupid penalty after stupid penalty.. they didn't deserve to be on the ice.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:54 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
That's right, the latter half -- once everyone figured out/bought into the system. And they didn't just play well, they played better than any team in hockey, if memory serves.
So then what happened this year when they had a whole season + off-season to be used to the system?

That team did so well because Luongo was playing out of his mind.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
So then what happened this year when they had a whole season + off-season to be used to the system?

Luongo had a fantastic year, no doubt, and he "stole" us a game or two. But his save percentage was only .004 better than it was this year. The difference in his play is overstated.

It was injuries and no organizational depth that undid the team this year.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:19 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Gotta love when people just toss out stuff like "AV is a great coach" without any actual proof but they'll say it so that it appears they know what they're talking about and it helps them to justify their like for the guy.
Yeah it's just the same... except for the fact that AV has won two Jack Adams awards. So, no. It's not similar at all. You know, because there is actually a great deal of proof showing that Vino is in fact an excellent coach.

While I have some issues with some of AV's coaching decisions, he's clearly a very good coach and I'm curious to see what he'll do with a team with a stronger group of forwards.

(I understood that Vigneault had won an award with Montreal, but am incorrect)

Last edited by quat: 05-22-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: mistake
quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:20 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Gillis is just covering his own butt this year by retaining Vig. Now he has a fall guy and a guy he could blame if things tank this year ... saying Vig was not my original guy and not my hire.

The hot seat is still on Gillis to bring in offence... but his cushion is Vig. if everything else fails.
I don't agree. I think with the amount of time this has taken and the fact that AV got an extension Gillis has clearly demonstrated that AV is 'his' guy. Even with the firing of the assistants, Gillis has put his 'stamp' on the coaching staff.

If it comes down to firing AV at some point during this season I'm not going to buy that AV was "left-over", it's all on Gillis now.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
I personally think Vigenault put the blame on the assistant coaches to save his own job.
I personally think most dogs can ride bicycles.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Yeah it's just the same... except for the fact that AV has won two Jack Adams awards. So, no. It's not similar at all. You know, because there is actually a great deal of proof showing that Vino is in fact an excellent coach.

While I have some issues with some of AV's coaching decisions, he's clearly a very good coach and I'm curious to see what he'll do with a team with a stronger group of forwards.

(I understood that Vigneault had won an award with Montreal, but am incorrect)
Yeah..i just got burned by that earlier on in this thread.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:

No, Luongo was playing like he was paid to play. Last season Luongo played well below everyones expectation, and considering that the team play was built on a foundation of Luongo performing to expected levels, it's foolish to blame the coach when a player doesn't bring his A game.

Personally, I like this signing because it adds a modicum of stability going into next season. Clearly, if Vigneault doesn't produce good hockey next year he is done with the Canucks.

I've got no issue with people who don't like the signing because they don't like AV's style of hockey, but I will take issue with those who have to invent reasons to justify their opinions.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:53 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Alain is a four time Jack Adams Award winner. He is also a five time Intercontinental Champion and two time tag team champion with his brother Jacques Rougeau.

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 05:02 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik Fan View Post
Alain is a four time Jack Adams Award winner. He is also a five time Intercontinental Champion and two time tag team champion with his brother Jacques Rougeau.
He's got a size 22 inch boot and a 5 inch circumference wrist. This is going to be a slobberknocker of a season. PINATA PINATA PINATA!

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 05:04 PM
zepps

That's good, I guess. Worth giving a coach of the year winner another chance.

zepps is offline   Reply With Quote