HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Jagr offered $12,000,000 by Dynamo Moscow

Old
05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
bcrt2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Not sure if that holds true for hockey fans.

If they made viewing international play easier, ie: not exclusively on some damn internet feed that you have to pay for. Then i think people would watch.

And, besides that, like i said the league would play within its self most of the season, only a few inter-league games, and the finals.

Like MLB's National League/American League set up.
Any sort of NHL European division or a Champion's League for the Stanley Cup does sound awesome in theory.

But timezone differences can be a factor in the interest level on either side of the Atlantic. And would the momentum of the NHL playoffs carry into games against KHL teams? Or vice-versa? If the leagues were just superficially connected by having the best teams play at the end (like the Memorial Cup), I don't think there would be as much interest, it may be seen as an all-star tournament at best.

I don't think it could work like the Memorial Cup where everyone wins their own championship and then all the champions + some extra teams go at it again. It wouldn't mean that much to me if say Pittsburgh beat Detroit in the finals of the NHL, and then Pittsburgh and Detroit ended up facing off again in the Champion's League finals and Detroit won. It would be weird. It would be have to be something where right from the first or second round, you have European teams playing NHL teams.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
Any sort of NHL European division or a Champion's League for the Stanley Cup does sound awesome in theory.

But timezone differences can be a factor in the interest level on either side of the Atlantic. And would the momentum of the NHL playoffs carry into games against KHL teams? Or vice-versa? If the leagues were just superficially connected by having the best teams play at the end (like the Memorial Cup), I don't think there would be as much interest, it may be seen as an all-star tournament at best.
I was thinking the same, although maybe not for the Stanley Cup.

In Europe the CL is bigger than the league championships it seems.
Have the top two or three teams from each league compete in a tournament (US/Canada would have to have at least one each to be fair).

Soccer's Champions League starts with 60 teams from throughout Europe. I'm sure hockey could do something similar. Maybe have it play out in the summer and vary the location? The time differences would be tough to make it work otherwise.

Maybe one year it's on the East Coast of the US. Another year in the West Coast. East Canada and West Canada. Another year in Sweden, CR, Finland, Germany, Russia, Switzerland, Italy, etc.

Obviously the tourny couldn't be long and drawn out as teams are just finishing their seasons up. Maybe best of three series straight through with a best of five in the finals.

I think something like that would have a huge impact on hockey all over the world and maybe even gain some interest in the the US because people would be rooting for the teams from their country to do best.

The NHL could have their cable partner (Versus) broadcast the games live and then repeat again at 7:00 PM, that could work possibly.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 05-22-2008 at 03:01 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
It very well could be a ploy from Jagr and his agent to put this out there.
First of all, unless I missed something, you're the one who dredged up something Laraque said a month ago, while he was in the midst of a playoff series in which his team was facing Jagr's (no conflict of interest there, eh?) I generally respect what you write, but you lose points in my book for coming on here and trying to blame a rumor you spread, that then took on a life of it's own, on Jagr and his agent. What exactly do Jagr or his agent really stand to gain by starting a rumor like this? Jagr knows he can get on a plane and fly to Omsk tomorrow and make the max salary allowable in the KHL ($6.7m). Glen Sather also knows this because Omsk's GM Anatoli Bardin was here in NY in April and made it quite clear. Sather already knows he can't match Bardin's offer financially because of the different tax structures in the US and Russia. Jagr would net significantly more money getting paid a $6.7m salary in Russia than he would being paid the same amount in NY. And Jagr's bright enough to know what the Rangers salary cap situation is, and that at his age, he's unlikely to get $6.7m here, nevermind the $10m+ it would take to equal the net value of the $6.7m Russian contract. It's absolutely pointless for him to manufacture a rumor of a $12m salary from a team to which he has no connection when he already knows Sather can't and won't match the actual offer that's on the table from Omsk.

It's one thing to propagate an unsubstantiated rumor on your blog. It's another to try and deflect the attention it brings by suggesting the player himself (or his agent) is the source.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Don't see you offering up any answers there, smart guy.
If i could come up with viable solutions to make a world wide sports league work i'd be a business savant. Unfortunately, i'm not. But i can however see that there would be many, many hurdles to overcome in order for this idealistic fantasy to come to fruition.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Sorry

Quote:
About as many holes in Crosby that Malkin likes to fill.
Good one.

The concept of a world wide league has more holes in it than the Russian White House circa 1993.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:43 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Boy do we North Americans have blind pride.

I hate to break this news, but there are other places in the world besides The United States and Canada.

The Euro dollar is KILLING the US dollar.

While countries in Europe are making huge strides forward, the US is taking strides backward.

And remember this, they have done it very quickly, a lot of counties there were decimated by two world wars.

Why is it so hard to believe that a league can compete with the NHL?

The simple fact that some of the more well known teams in the SEL have shown interest, teams in Australia, and more have shown interest, and the fact that they have a tournament that pits the best teams from all of Europe is another positive thing.

I love the idea, personally, and i hope it flourishes.

IMO a world-wide Elite league would be the best possible thing. That included teams from North America as well.

The only obstacle that needs to be beaten is pride. Which is the problem in all of the worlds serious issues. Too many people thinking they are better then everyone else. We are all on this planet together, we are all the same. We need to act like it and have a better brotherhood.

If the NHL REALLY wanted what is best for the SPORT, they would back the KHL.

Could you imagine a world league that competes for the Stanley Cup.

The Memorial Cup is handed to one of 60 teams in Canadian Juniors.

Why not a world league with about that many teams?
1 Russian ruble = 0.042413 U.S. dollars. The Euro is not really relevant.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:55 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Jagr and the Euro league

They should make a tournament of all the super leagues, nhl included...

So the stanley cup winner would play against the other leagues for the big trophy.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
They should make a tournament of all the super leagues, nhl included...

So the stanley cup winner would play against the other leagues for the big trophy.
That's a good idea, and I think one they might be heading in with us playing the winner of the championship this fall. The bummer thing is that the Cup finals end almost too late for teams to make all the necessary arrangements.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Fletch

Super League...

tourney would be interesting - although I can see the NHLPA/NHL never approving it. The season's already long enough - imagine adding another two weeks? Then when does the draft begin? Free agency?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Fletch

I still have...

some rubles left over from when I went there in 1987 - when it was closer to a 1-1 ratio.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:22 PM
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Well, yes & no. The VS/NBC deal is significantly lower than the previous ESPN/ABC deal, so while ratings are up, the total revenue is down. Not to mention that VS is only available in 80% of the households that ESPN is, and now despite ratings (a percentage of households covered by the network) being up, the total audience is actually down.
A 1.2 cable rating is a 1.2 cable rating, regardless of network coverage. They both mean roughly 1.4 million househols.

The Big Dog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:25 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
First of all, unless I missed something, you're the one who dredged up something Laraque said a month ago, while he was in the midst of a playoff series in which his team was facing Jagr's (no conflict of interest there, eh?) I generally respect what you write, but you lose points in my book for coming on here and trying to blame a rumor you spread, that then took on a life of it's own, on Jagr and his agent. What exactly do Jagr or his agent really stand to gain by starting a rumor like this? Jagr knows he can get on a plane and fly to Omsk tomorrow and make the max salary allowable in the KHL ($6.7m). Glen Sather also knows this because Omsk's GM Anatoli Bardin was here in NY in April and made it quite clear. Sather already knows he can't match Bardin's offer financially because of the different tax structures in the US and Russia. Jagr would net significantly more money getting paid a $6.7m salary in Russia than he would being paid the same amount in NY. And Jagr's bright enough to know what the Rangers salary cap situation is, and that at his age, he's unlikely to get $6.7m here, nevermind the $10m+ it would take to equal the net value of the $6.7m Russian contract. It's absolutely pointless for him to manufacture a rumor of a $12m salary from a team to which he has no connection when he already knows Sather can't and won't match the actual offer that's on the table from Omsk.

It's one thing to propagate an unsubstantiated rumor on your blog. It's another to try and deflect the attention it brings by suggesting the player himself (or his agent) is the source.
Well said Squishy.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
1 Russian ruble = 0.042413 U.S. dollars. The Euro is not really relevant.
But this league is not specifically a Russian League. I think people are forgetting that.

The KHL is looking to be a European-wide league. Not just a Russian league.

Unless i am mistaken by all the speculation?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:29 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
for those interested here is a map of where each team is located.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...0rel="nofollow" target=_blank

also no way jagr could get a $12 mil contract for 1 yr if the cap is $23.5 million. That would leave $11.5 mil left for at least 19 players.
Pukku - see map

it looks to be all in Russia except two teams. One in Belarus an one in Latvia i think.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habitant View Post
A 1.2 cable rating is a 1.2 cable rating, regardless of network coverage. They both mean roughly 1.4 million househols.
That's actually not true. Cable network ratings are reported based on each network's coverage area, which is why there was a big fuss about the NHL selecting VS. At least that's how Nielsen and most media researchers look at the data. If you assume total coverage of all cable HHs for every network, then the Military Channel and CNN are on equal footing, and that's just not the case.

Old
05-22-2008, 04:35 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Pukku - see map

it looks to be all in Russia except two teams. One in Belarus an one in Latvia i think.
For now, but they were saying that the league is reaching out to Swedish Elite teams and so on.

So, their intent must be to make it a European league.

Otherwise... what was the point of a new league?

Old
05-22-2008, 04:36 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

If this is, in fact, true, the Rags should have no trouble matching. 4 years, $22.5 million:

Year 1: $12 million
Year 2: $6 million
Year 3: $3 million
Year 4: $1.5 million

The 3rd and 4th year just soften up the cap hit a lot, and he can retire at any point.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post
If this is, in fact, true, the Rags should have no trouble matching. 4 years, $22.5 million:

The 3rd and 4th year just soften up the cap hit a lot, and he can retire at any point.
you can't front load a contract like that, the Wild just tried and it was rejected by the NHL.

Old
05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
For now, but they were saying that the league is reaching out to Swedish Elite teams and so on.

So, their intent must be to make it a European league.

Otherwise... what was the point of a new league?
it seems like it is the building block to make a European league. in the article there was no mention of other countries but they did say that in the future they would like to have a European league...

maybe they would start something like the best 6 franchises over a period of time would join the Euro league when it starts and than rotate teams in and out each year. The Champion of the KHL would move to the Euro league while the worst team in the Euro league would go to the KHL.

Otherwise i have no freakin clue.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 05:02 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
some rubles left over from when I went there in 1987 - when it was closer to a 1-1 ratio.
I went at the right time... it was 2000 rubles to 1 dollar when I was there in the mid-90s.

Old
05-22-2008, 05:03 PM
squishy

Quote:
you can't front load a contract like that, the Wild just tried and it was rejected by the NHL.
Moreover, Jagr's over 35, if he signs a multi-year deal his contract counts towards the cap whether he retires or not.

Old
05-22-2008, 05:05 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post

He's also over 35 so if he retires the Rangers still cop the cap hit for the reamining years which is why a multi-year deal for Jagr is a baaaaad idea.

Also, I was going to make a thread on this but it can go here.... people keep saying that Jagr wants one more shot at the cup etc. Do we really think that bringing back Avery and Jagr, signing a top-6 secondary scorer and changing some names on D will make this team a cup contender? The Pens have shown they are the team to beat in the East while Wash, Philly, Mont etc will probbaly keep improving as well. Most line-ups posted have the Rangers going into next season with a similiar team (different names, same abilities) as the one that crashed out this year. If Jagr really wants one more shot at the cup he'll sign a one year deal with the Pens

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 05:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
it seems like it is the building block to make a European league. in the article there was no mention of other countries but they did say that in the future they would like to have a European league...

maybe they would start something like the best 6 franchises over a period of time would join the Euro league when it starts and than rotate teams in and out each year. The Champion of the KHL would move to the Euro league while the worst team in the Euro league would go to the KHL.

Otherwise i have no freakin clue.
Well im with you there.

I have no idea.

I think it would be great to have a European league and an eventual NA/Euro league. It would be fantastic.

Old
05-22-2008, 05:30 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Those are alot of Zeros...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:11 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Damn Russians. First, Ivan Drago kills Apollo Creed, now this. How many insults can we take? The only logical response to this is that we must now invade Russia.

hey come on now there has been enough illegal wars started

thank god rocky took out Drago when he did but now its Klitschko who is running the show, Most of the major British football clubs are now owned by overseas investors, there is a lot of money in europe so anyone who says that a European League couldn't compete with the NHL is shortsighted.

Roman Abramovich if i am correct has a stake in OMSK Avengard and also owns Chelsea and this guy is a billionaire so i am sure most of his buddy's are looking to get in on the act also. i would like to point out the amount of money that has been poured into Russian football over the past few years, not only have they been spending big but a lot of young talent from South American countries like Brazil and Argentina has been snapped up before Europe's big guns can get them.

Zenit St Petersburg won the UEFA cup this year beating my team Rangers(ahhhhhh) in the final, they spent vasts amount of money in fact they spent 10m euro's on one player Anatoly Timoschuk. the biggest spenders clubs like CSKA Moscow, FC Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow and Spartak Moscow now have the financial clout to mix it with the big boys.

It is perfectly feasable to think that the money men could turn there attention to Hockey to show there financial muscle. From what i see in European football money is everything so if Hockey goes the same way you never know what could happen.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote