HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rocket Richard's top ten greatest moments?

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
StlRams514

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Ad hominen attacks only weaken your voice.

You'll note from the bottom right of the same pdf link that I sent that two of the hockey beat writers named their two all star teams. Richard didn't list among the top six forwards on either writer's ballot.
I have a very hard time believing that this guy is serious. I can't tell whether he's actually this insane or if it's all some kind of farce...

Old
05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
As for the Leafs being a team of nobodies... they would win 3 of the next 4 cups starting in 45.
They also won the cup in 1942

They also featured 1944 Hart Trophy winner and the NHL's best defenceman that yearl; Babe Pratt.
Thanks for coming up with something. At least somebody realizes the concept of debating.

It can also be noted that Richard got no more ice time after scoring his fifth goal - all set up by Toe Blake - against that journeyman goaltender whose career ended soon after the war.

Celebrities are like pagan gods. We've got to ensure that we don't mindlessly worship people who haven't accomplished a great contribution to mankind.

Richard was just an above-average hockey player with a bad temper. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old
05-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
I have a very hard time believing that this guy is serious. I can't tell whether he's actually this insane or if it's all some kind of farce...
It's a Megafarce.

Old
05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Maximus Taylor

this guy is a megatroll

ignored.

Old
05-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Iwishihadacup

Ignored

Lets all ignore him

Old
05-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Corey

It must be a burr in Megafarce's backside that the NHL honoured Joseph-Marie-Maurice Richard with one of its most prestigious trophies. Not bad for a fourth liner!

Old
05-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
It must be a burr in Megafarce's backside that the NHL honoured Joseph-Marie-Maurice Richard with one of its most prestigious trophies. Not bad for a fourth liner!
Megawho?

you mean Megafailure?

or MegaDump?

Old
05-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I just browsed through this thread. I can not believe what I see.

Maurice Richard was one of the greatest. A legend of his own.
At the time he was playing he was a superstar. A Gretzky, a Lemieux.
Neither Lafleur nor Beliveau did reached the impact of Richard. All these players vow total respect to Maurice Richard.
If someone thinks their judgement is better than Gretzky, Lemieux and Beliveau...

Now, if Lafleur or Gretzky would have played in Richard time, they would have probably break all records... But you are comparing different periods. Training was different, Nutritionist, Doctors, etc...

Richard stays one of the greatest legend. Anyone who disagree is having strong judgement problem.

Case CLOSED. Let's go back to the original subject of this thread.
just ignore megaforce and everything will be alright
----------------------------------------------------

My favorite moment of the rocket was when he was cut and came back to score the victorious goal

awesome player

Old
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
StlRams514

I've only seen the movie The Rocket, and have not been fortunate enough to have seen the Rocket play, but to me the most impressive feat is scoring all 5 goals in a game and earning all 3 stars. A feat that was terribly dishonoured this year when the Leafs gave Sundin all 3 stars, making him the second player to be so honoured.

Old
05-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Megaforce

Another thing about Richard's legendary five goal game...

A spectator at the Forum allegedly grabbed the stick of one of the Leaf defenders, which led to what the Leafs coach considered the game breaking goal.

Here's a link to that, under the headline "Meme a Toronto..."

Old
05-23-2008, 01:15 AM
StlRams514

Quote:
Another thing about Richard's legendary five goal game...

A spectator at the Forum allegedly grabbed the stick of one of the Leaf defenders, which led to what the Leafs coach considered the game breaking goal.

Here's a link to that, under the headline "Meme a Toronto..."
Ok, he's definitely messing with you guys...

Old
05-23-2008, 06:33 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Thanks for coming up with something. At least somebody realizes the concept of debating.

It can also be noted that Richard got no more ice time after scoring his fifth goal - all set up by Toe Blake - against that journeyman goaltender whose career ended soon after the war.

Celebrities are like pagan gods. We've got to ensure that we don't mindlessly worship people who haven't accomplished a great contribution to mankind.

Richard was just an above-average hockey player with a bad temper. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'll just say one thing. After 1945/6, Richard was named to 11 straight post season all-start teams (6 First Teams and 5 Second teams). Lead the regular season in goals 4 times, lead the playoffs in goals 3 times, won 1 Hart trophy, plus he finished top 5 in points 7 times. The Rocket isn't just an above-average hockey player. He was one of the best ever. Case closed.

Old
05-23-2008, 07:56 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
The year was 1953.
Sugar Jim Henry was the goalie, right ? Sometimes as a memory game, I refuse to look it up.

There's been a lot of great sports writing over the years. I wasn't fortunate enough to have seen the Rocket in anything but Old Timers games, where he was clearly uncomfortable. As a kid, I wanted to know about the guys my Dad talked about, and frankly, I just liked to read. So, I read about the legends. I think the Rocket, more than any other player had the most vivid accounts written about him.

I could see him scoring that goal. I could see him leaving the trainer's room long before the film came out.

Baseball was probably better captured in print. Loing before seeing oild newsreels, I knew what Ted Williams swing was like. I knew that he was a dead pull hitter before I knew what a pull hitter was.

That's probably why I appreciated Ken Dryden's book more than any other sports book. You could feel like you were inside the room with arguably the greatest team of all time. You could roll your eyes at Shutt's jokes or laugh at Lapointe's pranks, you felt like you were there.

Old
05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Canadiens1958

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Sugar Jim Henry was the goalie, right ? Sometimes as a memory game, I refuse to look it up.

There's been a lot of great sports writing over the years. I wasn't fortunate enough to have seen the Rocket in anything but Old Timers games, where he was clearly uncomfortable. As a kid, I wanted to know about the guys my Dad talked about, and frankly, I just liked to read. So, I read about the legends. I think the Rocket, more than any other player had the most vivid accounts written about him.

I could see him scoring that goal. I could see him leaving the trainer's room long before the film came out.

Baseball was probably better captured in print. Loing before seeing oild newsreels, I knew what Ted Williams swing was like. I knew that he was a dead pull hitter before I knew what a pull hitter was.

That's probably why I appreciated Ken Dryden's book more than any other sports book. You could feel like you were inside the room with arguably the greatest team of all time. You could roll your eyes at Shutt's jokes or laugh at Lapointe's pranks, you felt like you were there.

Correct about Sugar Jim Henry.

I saw Maurice Richard play from 1958 to 1960. Still recall the flashes of explosive quickness towards the net and the backhand shot.

Old
05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
When most experts rank you among the top 5 players of all-time you are more than just an above-average hockey player.....

Old
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
le_sean

Okay well then I can say Darryl Sittler's 10 point game means nothing because it was against a journeyman goaltender in Dave Reece who only played 14 games in the NHL.

Old
05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Your assessment of Richard is flawed by the fact that you never saw him play. You accept the biases of others, your opinion is set in cement, and you are dead set against even the most well-reasoned arguments. Your personal "valor" consists of sniping from the safety of an anonymous board name. Since you are recalcitrant in your dog-in-the manger attitude, I don't want to hear further from you. You are consigned to my ignore list. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Old
05-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Beakermania*

This has ceased being a debate about the talent, abilities and greatest moments of Maurice Richards career and instead become a thread full of personal attacks. Posters on both sides are guilty of going off-topic on this one....

Locked.

Closed Thread