HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Panthers @ World Championships

Old
05-19-2008, 12:18 AM
zeroG

vCash: 500
made the trek thursday night to catch friday's semis and, wow, what a trip. this was my 2nd trip to quebec and it ws just as beautiful as i remembered. i got in late thursday and stayed at the first place i stopped at on grand allee. turned out it was the home hotel for swedish fans (the first photo was taken at 9am on friday!) and, i'm guessing, the team. on friday morning, old quebec was full of fins, swedes and russians (as well as other fans) wearing jerseys and wigs, ready for the games. the atmosphere in town was great but when i got to le colisee, it was like hockey heaven; chanting, flag waiving, intense competition.

my first impression during the first few minutes of the rus-fin game was that it looked like these guys didn't have enough room out there. it was as if they were trying to play a euro style but hadn't quite adjusted to the size of the rink (which looked smaller than an nhl rink, thought it might just be the fact that the arena is so tiny). olli looked just as he looked with us all year - clueless. tried to do way too much, esp on the PP but the fins couldn't seem to get him the puck near prime scoring areas. eventually, he took stupid penalties out of frustration. in short, he was a non-factor, even on the wing.

the can-swe game was fantastic. i didn't want it to end. though i paid for a gallerie seat, i ended up finding a seat the loge level and sat next to some impt folks - the guy leaning forward in the shot of the crowd produced the past 10 years of the championship in europe. on the other side was a guy from hockey canada. i didn't talk to him but he was on the phone with and texting the top guys up in the hockey canada booth, relaying reports from the locker room. at one point, a man and kid visited and the guy told the kid "your father did a great job", referring i'm guessing, to the roster, or the event. i didn't get a good look at him (he was directly behind me and i didn't want to gawk) but he must have been someone at the top of hockey canada. at the final buzzzer, he made a jubilant call and proclaimed "we're dancing!". i chatted with the producer a bit about what the championship is like in europe and came away from the experience seriously considering a trip to switzerland for next year's tournament. it's a party, as he said.

unfortunately, jay didn't look like he was on top of his game. i was at ice level for the warmups and he looked nervous and wasn't really participating in the shootaround, just skating back and forth in the neutral zone. he did land one big time check that brought a roar from the crowd but didn't get much time at all until the 3rd and, though the play that period was on the other side of the arena and not as easy to see, didn't appear to have a big impact. today, he was caught between stepping up and backing off on kovulchuk's game tying goal and ending up screening ward. a few minutes early, he coughed the puck up right beside the goal in what could have been a fatal mistake.

wrapping up, my little taste of this tournament was a real teaser - the two games were great, the atmosphere fantastic. like i said, i'm already considering a trip to geneva next year!

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
In my eyes, Bouw is a good #1 defensman but is not a franchise defensman. I think very few players are franchise dmen. Pronger and Lidstrom are the two that come to mind, but in the future, guys like Phaneuf, Burns, and Erik Johnson could become those type of dominant physically, offensively, and capable of changing a game in several facets. Bouw IMO can't change a game on his own but he can be an incredible player and asset for us, eating up minutes and preventing the top forwards on the other teams from scoring. I don't see him as having the ability to change a game in several facets, be it with a big hit or big goal. That's the reason why I don't think he belongs in that top top price range. He's an excellent #1 dman with the ability to perhaps rise into that franchise dman status still, but because of his weakish slapshot and less than stellar hockey sense, I believe he'll be limited, which is why I think it's a pretty risky investment.
He's a franchise defenseman. No way is Erik Johnson better than Bouw, and I don't think he has a higher upside either. Again, you're expecting big hits from Bouw like you'd see from Pronger or Phaneuf, and that just isn't him. Why can't people just accept the guy for what he is. Why does someone have to be overly aggressive like Phaneuf or Pronger to be a franchise defenseman? Are Lidstrom and Niedermayer overly aggressive? No, they are physical when they have to be, which is what Bouw is. Style points don't make a defenseman better. What Bouw will do is play excellent defense and be able to rush the puck up the ice with ease, pinch in offensively, and be fast enough to recover defensively. He will change the game on his own by playing shutdown defense.

And let's not forget, even though he had a subpar season, he still had 15 goals, so he's not anything to laugh about offensively either. He's young yet, wait until he puts together his 41 assist form from two years ago together with this season's goal scoring prowess. He should be in the 60 point range in his prime.

And you said less than stellar hockey sense? Are you kidding? His hockey sense is one of the strengths of his game. He's had a little trouble with decision making this past year, but like I said he's just in a little funk right now. He's already proved before this season that he has excellent hockey sense, when he's on top of his game and his confidence is high, he makes great decisions and plays at a dominant level.

And again, weakish slapshot? Who cares. Style points don't matter. He's scored 15 goals and he's only 24. He gets the job done. No way is it a risky investment giving Bouw 6.5 mil. Like I said, he'll be slightly overpaid at the moment, but it'll pay off down the road. Boyle makes 6.6, Timonen makes 6.3, Campbell will supposedly be asking for around 6.5. Bouw is better than all of them. He is definitely in that ballpark. Maybe they are all overpaid, but then if that's the case, why shouldn't Bouw be then? That's what his angle is going to be. It's well worth it to pay him that.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
made the trek thursday night to catch friday's semis and, wow, what a trip. this was my 2nd trip to quebec and it ws just as beautiful as i remembered. i got in late thursday and stayed at the first place i stopped at on grand allee. turned out it was the home hotel for swedish fans (the first photo was taken at 9am on friday!) and, i'm guessing, the team. on friday morning, old quebec was full of fins, swedes and russians (as well as other fans) wearing jerseys and wigs, ready for the games. the atmosphere in town was great but when i got to le colisee, it was like hockey heaven; chanting, flag waiving, intense competition.

my first impression during the first few minutes of the rus-fin game was that it looked like these guys didn't have enough room out there. it was as if they were trying to play a euro style but hadn't quite adjusted to the size of the rink (which looked smaller than an nhl rink, thought it might just be the fact that the arena is so tiny). olli looked just as he looked with us all year - clueless. tried to do way too much, esp on the PP but the fins couldn't seem to get him the puck near prime scoring areas. eventually, he took stupid penalties out of frustration. in short, he was a non-factor, even on the wing.

the can-swe game was fantastic. i didn't want it to end. though i paid for a gallerie seat, i ended up finding a seat the loge level and sat next to some impt folks - the guy leaning forward in the shot of the crowd produced the past 10 years of the championship in europe. on the other side was a guy from hockey canada. i didn't talk to him but he was on the phone with and texting the top guys up in the hockey canada booth, relaying reports from the locker room. at one point, a man and kid visited and the guy told the kid "your father did a great job", referring i'm guessing, to the roster, or the event. i didn't get a good look at him (he was directly behind me and i didn't want to gawk) but he must have been someone at the top of hockey canada. at the final buzzzer, he made a jubilant call and proclaimed "we're dancing!". i chatted with the producer a bit about what the championship is like in europe and came away from the experience seriously considering a trip to switzerland for next year's tournament. it's a party, as he said.

unfortunately, jay didn't look like he was on top of his game. i was at ice level for the warmups and he looked nervous and wasn't really participating in the shootaround, just skating back and forth in the neutral zone. he did land one big time check that brought a roar from the crowd but didn't get much time at all until the 3rd and, though the play that period was on the other side of the arena and not as easy to see, didn't appear to have a big impact. today, he was caught between stepping up and backing off on kovulchuk's game tying goal and ending up screening ward. a few minutes early, he coughed the puck up right beside the goal in what could have been a fatal mistake.

wrapping up, my little taste of this tournament was a real teaser - the two games were great, the atmosphere fantastic. like i said, i'm already considering a trip to geneva next year!

Glad you had a great trip. From other people that were there also, it seems it was a first class event, but I'd expect nothing less. About Bouw, I disagree on both goals you mentioned. On the Kovalchuk goal, there wasn't anything else he really could have done. He stayed with his man and didn't allow him a shooting lane, which is what you're supposed to do. He certainly wasn't going to move so Kovalchuk could get a clear shot away. Yeah, he ended up screening Ward, but Kovalchuk just made an exceptional shot. What are you gonna do, it's Ilya. Bouw did his job there. He's not going to overcommit in that situation either and try to be really agressive on Ilya speeding down the wing, and risk being burned and have him cut right in on goal.

On the goal a couple minutes earlier if that was what you're referring to, he blocked the initial shot and the puck just unluckily bounced right to whoever scored, not sure who it was. Surely you can't blame him for that. That's just bad luck, it was like a perfect 15 foot pass right to the goal scorer. 99/100 other times, that puck bounces around between 4-5 guys and eventually finds its way out of the zone, or is eventually recovered by the goalie and play is stopped. I only watched the 3rd period, but he played fine and had some good blocks. Also had some really bad luck, but he certainly wasn't a detriment to the team. How about Nash who took a couple really dumb penalties in the 3rd and OT, or Ward, who let in a really questionable goal for the game winner?

Old
05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Glad you had a great trip. From other people that were there also, it seems it was a first class event, but I'd expect nothing less. About Bouw, I disagree on both goals you mentioned. On the Kovalchuk goal, there wasn't anything else he really could have done. He stayed with his man and didn't allow him a shooting lane, which is what you're supposed to do. He certainly wasn't going to move so Kovalchuk could get a clear shot away. Yeah, he ended up screening Ward, but Kovalchuk just made an exceptional shot. What are you gonna do, it's Ilya. Bouw did his job there. He's not going to overcommit in that situation either and try to be really agressive on Ilya speeding down the wing, and risk being burned and have him cut right in on goal.

On the goal a couple minutes earlier if that was what you're referring to, he blocked the initial shot and the puck just unluckily bounced right to whoever scored, not sure who it was. Surely you can't blame him for that. That's just bad luck, it was like a perfect 15 foot pass right to the goal scorer. 99/100 other times, that puck bounces around between 4-5 guys and eventually finds its way out of the zone, or is eventually recovered by the goalie and play is stopped. I only watched the 3rd period, but he played fine and had some good blocks. Also had some really bad luck, but he certainly wasn't a detriment to the team. How about Nash who took a couple really dumb penalties in the 3rd and OT, or Ward, who let in a really questionable goal for the game winner?
the block certainly wasn't his fault - that was a tough break. i was referring to a bad turnover by jay a few minutes earlier. he was coming around behind the net and ran into traffic and it looked like he should've just banged the puck up the boards but instead tried to navigate through the maze and ended up coughing the puck up right to ward's left. not sure russia got a shot out of it but it could've been a big chance. the first kovalchuk goal was a tough one for both ward and jay but jay was used as a screen on the play. it was a bang bang play and i'm not sure anyone else would've done better but the screen made it very difficult for ward. you're right though, about the only thing he could've done different would have been to over-commit and hope he could get a stick on the puck. would have been the defensive play of the game for sure but, yeah, it would have been very risky. i didn't see a replay of the game winner but with those 4 forwards on the ice for an OT 4-3 PP, it seemed it was only a matter of time. very exciting end to a great tournament, in any case.

Old
05-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Awsome, glad you got to go and had a great time. Any of those pictures of you?

I didn't get to watch any of the games, but it did sound like Olli did little except get frustrated.

05-20-2008, 01:08 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
the block certainly wasn't his fault - that was a tough break. i was referring to a bad turnover by jay a few minutes earlier. he was coming around behind the net and ran into traffic and it looked like he should've just banged the puck up the boards but instead tried to navigate through the maze and ended up coughing the puck up right to ward's left. not sure russia got a shot out of it but it could've been a big chance. the first kovalchuk goal was a tough one for both ward and jay but jay was used as a screen on the play. it was a bang bang play and i'm not sure anyone else would've done better but the screen made it very difficult for ward. you're right though, about the only thing he could've done different would have been to over-commit and hope he could get a stick on the puck. would have been the defensive play of the game for sure but, yeah, it would have been very risky. i didn't see a replay of the game winner but with those 4 forwards on the ice for an OT 4-3 PP, it seemed it was only a matter of time. very exciting end to a great tournament, in any case.
Oh, i know what you're talking about now. Yeah, he was rushed by two forwards jumping on him right as he came from behind the net. Seemed like he just tried to flip the puck between them because he only had a split second and he didn't want to risk turning it over to the man on his left by trying to bang it up the boards. That's how it looked to me, anyway. It bounced off of one of them, but didn't result in a shot on goal. Ward just covered it up. That was just a strange play though. How often do you see two men kind of "blitz" the defenseman coming from behind the net?

Ward should have had the game winner, IMO. Granted, it was a PP, and Kovy had some room, but it wasn't like he was only 10 feet away. He was pretty much exactly half way from the blueline to the goalline. It wasn't a laser, either, which is what you would expect from Kovy in that situation. It was a decent wrist shot, but I don't think Ward was screened, he just reacted very poorly to it. Almost looked like he thought it was going to go wide. Just not a good goal to let in there. In OT of the gold medal game, you gotta do better.

Old
05-22-2008, 11:14 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Awsome, glad you got to go and had a great time. Any of those pictures of you?

I didn't get to watch any of the games, but it did sound like Olli did little except get frustrated.
yeah, it was great, even though i was only there for a day. if i don't make it to the championship next year, the 2010 olympics in vancouver should be insane. that'll be a tough ticket, though.

oh, and i'm not in any of the pictures.

Old
05-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
yeah, it was great, even though i was only there for a day. if i don't make it to the championship next year, the 2010 olympics in vancouver should be insane. that'll be a tough ticket, though.

oh, and i'm not in any of the pictures.
That'd be insane. I'd love to be able to go to the Winter Olympics sometime and catch the hockey. What does that ticket run?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:40 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
That'd be insane. I'd love to be able to go to the Winter Olympics sometime and catch the hockey. What does that ticket run?
no idea but i'm sure the medal games would be ridiculous. i will look into it sometime in the next year, though. i was in atlanta for the olympics there and it's sort of a circus but the lead up for the hockey tournament in vancouver will be unreal, i bet and vancouver's a beautiful city - that'd be a nice vacation.

Old
05-23-2008, 03:16 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
no idea but i'm sure the medal games would be ridiculous. i will look into it sometime in the next year, though. i was in atlanta for the olympics there and it's sort of a circus but the lead up for the hockey tournament in vancouver will be unreal, i bet and vancouver's a beautiful city - that'd be a nice vacation.
Speaking of 2010, what current panthers would you predict to be on their respective olympic rosters? I'd think Bouw would be a contender to get a spot on team Canada, but who knows if he'll be playing for us then. I don't think Horton will make it but who knows. They have enough forward depth to do well without him, and they're already probably upset with him for spurning them last spring when he didn't have a contract. Olesz will probaby be on the Czech team as a checking forward at least. Vokoun will be a Czech goalie probably. Booth has a shot to make the US team depending on how he progresses. I'm not totally sold on his ability to put up points like he did this past year, but hopefully he solidifies his goal scoring ability. Weiss is a great player but won't make team Canada. Frolik has a shot for the Czechs if he develops as planned. He was a really highly regarded player by the olympic program, so if he proves to be competent he should get a spot. I really hope no one says Shawn Matthias though with Canada as deep as they are, honestly, because as awesome as he's playing and as excited as I am about him..........no. If somehow he lights the world on fire the next 2 years for us then he could make it though, but with those young guys we'll have to wait and see.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:48 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Speaking of 2010, what current panthers would you predict to be on their respective olympic rosters? I'd think Bouw would be a contender to get a spot on team Canada, but who knows if he'll be playing for us then. I don't think Horton will make it but who knows. They have enough forward depth to do well without him, and they're already probably upset with him for spurning them last spring when he didn't have a contract. Olesz will probaby be on the Czech team as a checking forward at least. Vokoun will be a Czech goalie probably. Booth has a shot to make the US team depending on how he progresses. I'm not totally sold on his ability to put up points like he did this past year, but hopefully he solidifies his goal scoring ability. Weiss is a great player but won't make team Canada. Frolik has a shot for the Czechs if he develops as planned. He was a really highly regarded player by the olympic program, so if he proves to be competent he should get a spot. I really hope no one says Shawn Matthias though with Canada as deep as they are, honestly, because as awesome as he's playing and as excited as I am about him..........no. If somehow he lights the world on fire the next 2 years for us then he could make it though, but with those young guys we'll have to wait and see.
Bouw will make it, and the rest you are right on probably. Matthias no. Olesz yes. Vokoun yes. Maybe Frolik as well. Horton might make it, but I feel as well that him not going last season to the worlds really burned some bridges with TC. But on the other hand, Dion did the same to them this season, yet he is a lock for them in 2010.

IF there is any way anyone is going to go to the Olympics up there, let me know. I would love to catch one of the games up there. Whether it be round robin games, or medals. Keep me informed.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Bouw will make it
Horton won't even if he should, because of politics
Vokoun will be the starting Czech goalie
Olesz will make it
Booth is an outside shot at this point, maybe
I don't see Frolik making it so soon with their offensive depth
Jokinen, who knows, maybe

Old
05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Bouw will make it
Horton won't even if he should, because of politics
Vokoun will be the starting Czech goalie
Olesz will make it
Booth is an outside shot at this point, maybe
I don't see Frolik making it so soon with their offensive depth
Jokinen, who knows, maybe
Jokinen will be back in the beer leagues in Finland at this rate, by then.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:42 PM
jol

Quote:
Jokinen will be back in the beer leagues in Finland at this rate, by then.
This Zednik accident has really affected him, will he ever be the same. At one point, I think it was before playoffs, he was very doubtful if he is going to be part of the team again.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Tuco

Quote:
If we don't go a cent above 5 mil, he will not re-sign, so yes we will be going above 5 mil for sure. He's going to want Phaneuf money, you can bank on that. It might be a slight overpayment right now, but look at what Boyle got and what Campbell is rumored to be seeking per year, around 6.5 mil. I'd take Bouw over those two in less than a milisecond. It's well worth it, it'll pay off big time down the road.
We will pay Bouw even 7 mill, because we have to. There's no way around it. Except rebuilding again. With no number 1 pick this year. It is a certain risk, with some of the defiances Bouw has (pointed out by PanthersRule96 above), but since Bouw is reliable and not flashy, the risk is not that big. We will be paying too much though and in the cap-world paying too much for any kind of player is a risk, because the same money could (albeit fictionally) be used more productively elsewhere. You have to find and lure in undervalued players to win.

And (judging by today's performance)
Bouw will not make Canada roster in 2010
Joke will make it as a second or third line center behind M. Koivu just because there's no one else
Pelts will make it as captain of Finland
Horton has no chance, and I don't think politics has anything to do with it, you cannot be disinterested or lazy
Olesz maybe
Vokoun yes
Frolik and Matthias - much too early to tell - no as of today
Mezei seems to make it no matter how bad he is
Booth - don't know, depends on the alternatives, maybe fourth line

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 08:26 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Joke will make it as a second or third line center behind M. Koivu just because there's no one else
We've got some pretty good centremen coming up. Kontiola might be an offensive option by then, Filppula of Detroit would certainly be on there. Jokinen probably as a winger.

Quote:

Saku will be the captain if he's active. Otherwise Mikko. Or Jere Lehtinen if he is active. I'd say there are 7-ish players who'd be captains over him in 2010. Peltonen should be retired by then.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Tritsche

vCash: 566
Send a message via MSN to Tritsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
We will pay Bouw even 7 mill, because we have to. There's no way around it. Except rebuilding again. With no number 1 pick this year. It is a certain risk, with some of the defiances Bouw has (pointed out by PanthersRule96 above), but since Bouw is reliable and not flashy, the risk is not that big. We will be paying too much though and in the cap-world paying too much for any kind of player is a risk, because the same money could (albeit fictionally) be used more productively elsewhere. You have to find and lure in undervalued players to win.

And (judging by today's performance)
Bouw will not make Canada roster in 2010
Horton has no chance, and I don't think politics has anything to do with it, you cannot be disinterested or lazy
Olesz maybe
Vokoun yes
Frolik and Matthias - much too early to tell - no as of today
Mezei seems to make it no matter how bad he is
Booth - don't know, depends on the alternatives, maybe fourth line

Don't think so...Visnovsky, Sekera, Chara, Meszaros, Jurcina, Strbak, Starotsa are cleary ahead of Mezei.

Tritsche is offline   Reply With Quote