HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A deal for Joni Pitkanen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
  #1
Luongo4VP
 
Luongo4VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: India
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
A deal for Joni Pitkanen

Hi Rangers Fans! I am proposing this topic in regards to Joni Pitkanen who has been a hot topic of coming to the big apple.


Would you consider this deal, if you were Glen Sather?


To Edmonton: Nigel Dawes, Fedor Tyutin, Peter Prucha, 2nd Pick
To New York: Joni Pitkanen, Ryan Omarra, 4th pick


I am ready to take on any snide remarks on this topic, I feel most fans here will feel this is a major overpayment, correct?

I am just inquiring your thoughts to know your guys's perspective on acquiring Pitkanen?

Again Im saying, flame me if you please!

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:44 PM
  #2
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 50
i was going to write a big list of reasons but it easier to say no thanks

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:46 PM
  #3
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,834
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
Hi Rangers Fans! I am proposing this topic in regards to Joni Pitkanen who has been a hot topic of coming to the big apple.


Would you consider this deal, if you were Glen Sather?


To Edmonton: Nigel Dawes, Fedor Tyutin, Peter Prucha, 2nd Pick
To New York: Joni Pitkanen, Ryan Omarra, 4th pick


I am ready to take on any snide remarks on this topic, I feel most fans here will feel this is a major overpayment, correct?

I am just inquiring your thoughts to know your guys's perspective on acquiring Pitkanen?

Again Im saying, flame me if you please!
meh, it's close

O'Marra is really unnecessary, take out him and Dawes and it's a for-sure for me

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:47 PM
  #4
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
meh, it's close

O'Marra is really unnecessary, take out him and Dawes and it's a for-sure for me
agreed.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:51 PM
  #5
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Ehh....first off I'd take Dawes and O'marra out.......

That then makes me wonder if I want to get rid of Toots..who will def be a #3 dman for years to come...for a POTENTIAL top 2 dman..but ealier on in his career has only showed a flash or two of hitting it.....


I would be 50/50 on it...but lean toward no.

I'd keep the sure thing, rather then risk getting rid of him for a maybe.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:55 PM
  #6
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,834
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Ehh....first off I'd take Dawes and O'marra out.......

That then makes me wonder if I want to get rid of Toots..who will def be a #3 dman for years to come...for a POTENTIAL top 2 dman..but ealier on in his career has only showed a flash or two of hitting it.....


I would be 50/50 on it...but lean toward no.

I'd keep the sure thing, rather then risk getting rid of him for a maybe.
disagree on Pitkanen being a maybe. he's definetly a good defenseman, and may be a great one down the road.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:59 PM
  #7
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
disagree on Pitkanen being a maybe. he's definetly a good defenseman, and may be a great one down the road.
Like I said, im 50/50 on him...if we were talking Jbo...i'd say yes in a heartbeat though.1

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:04 AM
  #8
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,834
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Like I said, im 50/50 on him...if we were talking Jbo...i'd say yes in a heartbeat though.1
yeah, fair enough on being unsure of the deal. I just thought you were describing Pitkanen as if he were an unproven prospect, and not a guy who's been a top 4 in the NHL for a long time.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:18 AM
  #9
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Not horrible, but I don't see why the Oilers do it, unless they absolutely have to trade Pitkanen. If they do, I suppose the value isn't too far off.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:25 AM
  #10
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,537
vCash: 500
If Pitkanen didn't want 5 million a year, I'd take him.

But then again... it might be a better investment to bring him in than bring Rozsival back at that price.

Pitkanen will be 25 in September, Rozsival will be 30.

It would probably be better to pay someone who's had some better years and still has a significant amount of potential compared to someone who crapped the bed down the stretch and has pretty much peaked.

Pitkanen's talented, I'm not gonna lie, but I'm still not very fond of handing him out a large contract, like the one he supposedly wants.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:34 AM
  #11
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
If Pitkanen didn't want 5 million a year, I'd take him.

But then again... it might be a better investment to bring him in than bring Rozsival back at that price.

Pitkanen will be 25 in September, Rozsival will be 30.

It would probably be better to pay someone who's had some better years and still has a significant amount of potential compared to someone who crapped the bed down the stretch and has pretty much peaked.

Pitkanen's talented, I'm not gonna lie, but I'm still not very fond of handing him out a large contract, like the one he supposedly wants.


the only problem with that is Pitkanen is a lot more injury prone than Rozsival.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:35 AM
  #12
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
yeah, fair enough on being unsure of the deal. I just thought you were describing Pitkanen as if he were an unproven prospect, and not a guy who's been a top 4 in the NHL for a long time.
Ya, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Joni hater or anything, he has proved he is a top 4 already, but I think of Tyutin also very young like Joni, as a sure top 3 dman his whole career...obviously focusing more on the defense then the offense like Joni. Joni, I could be a top pairing dman his whole career..but there is just so much inconsistency i see from him from time to time....something I don't see in tyutin.

Plus, the fact that Joni will be demanding according to rumors...a big chunk of change doesnt' help....

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 01:15 AM
  #13
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,381
vCash: 500
One other thing on Tyutin--he's the d-man that opposing forwards need to keep their heads up on the most. He can be very effective physically and he doesn't take a lot of penalties. The Rangers don't hit enough period--forwards or defense and trading him means bringing in some like Orpik so we'll have someone on our defense taking the body consistently. It will mean--between Pitkanen and Orpik a lot less money to fill holes at forward.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 01:31 AM
  #14
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
the only problem with that is Pitkanen is a lot more injury prone than Rozsival.
The only reason why the Rangers were able to sign Rozsival after the lockout was because he had missed most of the last two seasons due to a serious knee injury and most people in hockey thought he was too injury prone and/or unable to recover from the surgery.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 02:33 AM
  #15
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,908
vCash: 500
No problemo.

DO IT!

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:00 AM
  #16
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector
 
Staggarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
i was going to write a big list of reasons but it easier to say no thanks
+1

Pass. Big Time Pass.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:01 AM
  #17
RangersFan
Registered User
 
RangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: LA, CA & NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,660
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
I would do that in a heart beat if Joni would sign a reasonable contract. No way he's getting 5 mill this point in his career, maybe his next contract if he shows vast improvement. Sure losing Dawes would suck, but imo he is much easier to replace than to get an Offensive d-man at the talent level of a Pitkanen. And don't kid yourselves if you think Sangs is the answer, he is too far away at this point, and probably not as talented as Pitkanen.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:20 AM
  #18
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The only reason why the Rangers were able to sign Rozsival after the lockout was because he had missed most of the last two seasons due to a serious knee injury and most people in hockey thought he was too injury prone and/or unable to recover from the surgery.


i realise that but since Rozsival resigned, in regular season play he has only missed 4 games in 3 seasons. i am not saying it isn't possible Pitkanen couldn't do the same.

i personally dont like the deal anyway, if Dawes and O'marra were taken out then possibly, but Pitkanen is reportedly looking for money he hasn't yet earned. add to that his injuries and its not really all that appealling unless he would maybe sign a 1/2 year deal at a lower rate to show he can stay healthy and perform at a consistent level. then he would have justification to ask for a $4-5m per year contract.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:55 AM
  #19
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
i realise that but since Rozsival resigned, in regular season play he has only missed 4 games in 3 seasons. i am not saying it isn't possible Pitkanen couldn't do the same.

i personally dont like the deal anyway, if Dawes and O'marra were taken out then possibly, but Pitkanen is reportedly looking for money he hasn't yet earned. add to that his injuries and its not really all that appealling unless he would maybe sign a 1/2 year deal at a lower rate to show he can stay healthy and perform at a consistent level. then he would have justification to ask for a $4-5m per year contract.
But, that's not the way the market works. And, in any case, Sather has never been afraid to sign/trade for players who have had much more significant injury histories.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 04:02 AM
  #20
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
But, that's not the way the market works. And, in any case, Sather has never been afraid to sign/trade for players who have had much more significant injury histories.
what do you mean thats not how the market works? could you clarify what part of the post you were meaning please.

well if Sather likes Pitkanen as much as some say then he may take the risk.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 06:59 AM
  #21
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
do we really need another thread about this??

Pass, somthing about him doesn't sit right with me.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 07:12 AM
  #22
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,511
vCash: 500
Sweeten the deal so it includes Schremp

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:22 AM
  #23
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Like I said, im 50/50 on him...if we were talking Jbo...i'd say yes in a heartbeat though.1
Your not the only one.

jbo - staal = holy crap

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:29 AM
  #24
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
Take out Dawes and O'Marra, add Schremp and drop the 4th rounder and I'd almost definitely do it.

O'Marra is pointless as we're backed up at center as it is. I think he could become a good player, but not any better than Dubi or Anisimov. At least Schremp can play the wing. I think he'd look good playing with Gomez.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
  #25
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,214
vCash: 500
no dawes or o'marra......i think pitkanen is a very unique defenceman and i feel tyutin can be replaced easier(orpik) than finding a pitkanen type player as he is so good onthe rush and in transition and yet is barely ever cought up ice...he is 25 and has GREAT skill....tyutin, prucha, 3rd 08 for pitkanen, schremp

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.