HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation - Martin Havlat on the trade block??

Old
05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
One Trick Pony

vCash: 500
I'd sign him and bench him all season
And then play him in the playoffs

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:15 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
The point of listing those injuries was to show the injuries repeat themselves, same body parts...the most serious of which is the Shoulder. The risk is too high in my opinion to go after the guy, sometimes we have to look beyond Talent to evaluate missing pieces on this team. Talent alone will not win cups, I'd like to see Chipchura develop. I'd like to see his progress more so than Havlat in a Habs jersey, Chipchura's of the world are just as much difference makers probably more so than the players in the Mold of Havlat (Injury prone).
I echo your thoughts regarding Chipchura. My thoughts on Havlat are that he's an option if you agree with the 'ifs'.

If you can't sign a guy like a Hossa or the cost of a Gaborik is prohibitive, meaning that you'd have to give up a d prospect with a Higgins or equivalent, what's to lose if Chicago wants to go forward in another direction ?

Havlat has Mtl ties I believe. I believe that when he can play at his level, he's a difference maker. I don't disagree that my use of the word 'when' is the key here.

I keep getting back to the 'if' reagrding the $. One year, so you spend it hoping for the best, leaving the space open for a mid season deal doesn't appeal to me because really, when do you make this deal ? 40 game mark ? an 8M player becomes a 4M guy at that point.

To me, Gainey has to decide if it makes sense health wise. I don't know how bad his situation is, but that's what they have to evaluate. That's exactly the type of deal that we can hit this elusive homerun with, if it works.

My arguement isn't with you on whether Havlat can be the guy, I don't know, it's just that I don't see much downside.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I echo your thoughts regarding Chipchura. My thoughts on Havlat are that he's an option if you agree with the 'ifs'.

If you can't sign a guy like a Hossa or the cost of a Gaborik is prohibitive, meaning that you'd have to give up a d prospect with a Higgins or equivalent, what's to lose if Chicago wants to go forward in another direction ?

Havlat has Mtl ties I believe. I believe that when he can play at his level, he's a difference maker. I don't disagree that my use of the word 'when' is the key here.

I keep getting back to the 'if' reagrding the $. One year, so you spend it hoping for the best, leaving the space open for a mid season deal doesn't appeal to me because really, when do you make this deal ? 40 game mark ? an 8M player becomes a 4M guy at that point.

To me, Gainey has to decide if it makes sense health wise. I don't know how bad his situation is, but that's what they have to evaluate. That's exactly the type of deal that we can hit this elusive homerun with, if it works.

My arguement isn't with you on whether Havlat can be the guy, I don't know, it's just that I don't see much downside.

I agree... and the money is still there for a mid-season deal if Havlat is hurt. You put him on long-term IR and you get the money back under the cap to make the deal if necessary.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I agree... and the money is still there for a mid-season deal if Havlat is hurt. You put him on long-term IR and you get the money back under the cap to make the deal if necessary.
Didn't work for Philadelphia last year when Forsberg went down. He made his team significantly better and when he was out of the lineup the Flyers were scrambling until they went into a freefall.

To me, it's not so much about 6 mil of capspace as getting a top tier player and praying he stays healthy. I know if you can just get someone to be your best offensive player and shrug your shoulders when he's out for the rest of the year. It might throw things completely out of whack IMO.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
Didn't work for Philadelphia last year when Forsberg went down. He made his team significantly better and when he was out of the lineup the Flyers were scrambling until they went into a freefall.

To me, it's not so much about 6 mil of capspace as getting a top tier player and praying he stays healthy. I don't think you can just get someone to be your best offensive player and shrug your shoulders when he's out for the rest of the year. It throws things completely out of whack IMO.
Thats why for me he's plan E or F if we can't get something else in the off-season.... I'd rather take him if he comes cheap enough and we can't get anything else. That said, I want them to take something lower on the depth chart than Chipchura.... Maybe a 2nd-3rd rounder, maybe Grabo, something like that....

What I'm saying is if you can't get Hossa, Selanne, Sundin, Rolston, or one of the other forwards, and there is no other good trade in the off-season then you should take a chance on Havlat if the price is right. You can't say no to the deal just cause you want to save for that mid-season acquisition that may or may not be available (like you have pointed out). What i'm saying is that if the mid-season aquisition is still necessary due to a Havlat injury, you will still have the money to make the deal, you shouldn't be avoiding a Havlat deal for this reason.

Old
05-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Thats why for me he's plan E or F if we can't get something else in the off-season.... I'd rather take him if he comes cheap enough and we can't get anything else. That said, I want them to take something lower on the depth chart than Chipchura.... Maybe a 2nd-3rd rounder, maybe Grabo, something like that....

What I'm saying is if you can't get Hossa, Selanne, Sundin, Rolston, or one of the other forwards, and there is no other good trade in the off-season then you should take a chance on Havlat if the price is right. You can't say no to the deal just cause you want to save for that mid-season acquisition that may or may not be available (like you have pointed out). What i'm saying is that if the mid-season aquisition is still necessary due to a Havlat injury, you will still have the money to make the deal, you shouldn't be avoiding a Havlat deal for this reason.
You insert him in the lineup opening night and all of a sudden a Cammaleri becomes available in November. It happens, I'm just saying Hossa and Havlat aren't the only options. A trade like Grabovski+ for Havlat looks great right up until January, when we're scrambling for more offense and nobody's available.

Next thing you know it's May 09 and we're left looking back on the season wondering why Gainey traded for an oft-injured player that wasn't around for the playoffs. His bittersweet tenure with Montreal ends as he signs with the Leafs for 10 million for 7 years in July 09.

Old
05-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
You insert him in the lineup opening night and all of a sudden a Cammaleri becomes available in November. It happens, I'm just saying Hossa and Havlat aren't the only options. A trade like Grabovski+ for Havlat looks great right up until January, when we're scrambling for more offense and nobody's available.

Next thing you know it's May 09 and we're left looking back on the season wondering why Gainey traded for an oft-injured player that wasn't around for the playoffs. His bittersweet tenure with Montreal ends as he signs with the Leafs for 10 million for 7 years in July 09.
Hindsight will always be 20/20 in cases like this.... maybe Havlat stays healthy and he helps to win the cup; scoring some big playoff goals along the way.... He resigns in Montreal for 5 million per year and goes on to a long and healthy career. You never know.

As a plan E or F I'm still willing to take a chance.... Again he's not my first choice.... Plan A is Sundin in my mind (but I doubt he wants to leave Toronto for Montreal)... but its nice to think of other possibilities. I'm not willing to take Havlat and put it as a flat out no.

Old
05-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Hindsight will always be 20/20 in cases like this.... maybe Havlat stays healthy and he helps to win the cup; scoring some big playoff goals along the way.... He resigns in Montreal for 5 million per year and goes on to a long and healthy career. You never know.

As a plan E or F I'm still willing to take a chance.... Again he's not my first choice.... Plan A is Sundin in my mind (but I doubt he wants to leave Toronto for Montreal)... but its nice to think of other possibilities. I'm not willing to take Havlat and put it as a flat out no.
well even if he stayed healthy Gainey's already blown his wad on Havlat instead of adding more grit(where do you insert a gritty winger when you have Kostitsynx2, Higgins, Kovalev, Havlat & Latendresse). At least with Hossa he'd provide excellent 2-way play.

Wouldn't be hindsight because I'm thinking of this now. I don't think, as a top team in the league, Montreal should be making this kind of leap. In fact, I'd rather enter next season without any trades or free agents than acquire Havlat.

Old
05-25-2008, 07:50 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
well even if he stayed healthy Gainey's already blown his wad on Havlat instead of adding more grit(where do you insert a gritty winger when you have Kostitsynx2, Higgins, Kovalev, Havlat & Latendresse). At least with Hossa he'd provide excellent 2-way play.

Wouldn't be hindsight because I'm thinking of this now. I don't think, as a top team in the league, Montreal should be making this kind of leap. In fact, I'd rather enter next season without any trades or free agents than acquire Havlat.
Great word

Yes.. I would too

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote