HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

north-south hockey and a balanced attack

Old
05-23-2008, 11:21 AM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
north-south hockey and a balanced attack

does it make anyone else a little uncomfortable? i mean, i want to win above all else, i just don't know if that's the right way to go about it. thoughts?

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:24 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
does it make anyone else a little uncomfortable? i mean, i want to win above all else, i just don't know if that's the right way to go about it. thoughts?
we have to go that way b/c of the type of players we have. We are nowhere near good enough at stickhandling and passing to use an East-West possession game. It sucks, and I wish we played East-West but it is what it is.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:27 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
When the Rangers get into the offensive zone, they can't just stop at the blueline and look to make a pass. They have to move the puck up the ice and charge into the zone. Gomez is the perfect example of North South, he takes the puck and goes right into the zone. In an NHL where speed is the key, North South is the only way to go.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
broadwayblue

Pretty funny stuff. When we had the E-W players most fans couldn't stand it. Now we are heading towards a N-S game and we're already longing for the old days.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
When the Rangers get into the offensive zone, they can't just stop at the blueline and look to make a pass. They have to move the puck up the ice and charge into the zone. Gomez is the perfect example of North South, he takes the puck and goes right into the zone. In an NHL where speed is the key, North South is the only way to go.
tell that to Pitt and Detroit.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
we have to go that way b/c of the type of players we have. We are nowhere near good enough at stickhandling and passing to use an East-West possession game. It sucks, and I wish we played East-West but it is what it is.
i like the idea of a balanced attack and a north-south attack

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:34 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i like the idea of a balanced attack and a north-south attack
I'm much more of a fan of good passing, puck movement and puck possesion of the East - West game. Would rather we went that direction. Unfortunately we can't.

Old
05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
TheHotRock

I'm a much bigger fan of the game detroit plays. I also always felt like your stars should be your stars and your roleplayers should be your roleplayers. that said, its about winning.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:40 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I'm much more of a fan of good passing, puck movement and puck possesion of the East - West game. Would rather we went that direction. Unfortunately we can't.
Puck possession means nothing when you don't put the puck on the net. Have you seen our power play?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:49 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Puck possession means nothing when you don't put the puck on the net. Have you seen our power play?
True. and our PP's sucked b/c we just might be the worst passing team in NHL history. That and nobody moves to create open shooting lanes. But it just wasn't the East-West pp that was bad, our N-s pp unit was almost equally as bad. Again I blame this solely on horrible passing, and no movement. Not that we didn't shoot enough.

oh and I think Renney might have to show this team what a one-timer is.

Old
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Pretty funny stuff. When we had the E-W players most fans couldn't stand it. Now we are heading towards a N-S game and we're already longing for the old days.
It's only because Detroit is in the finals now. Last year when the Ducks were in the finals it was all about N-S. E-W is now considered trendy in the hockey world.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:59 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
It's only because Detroit is in the finals now. Last year when the Ducks were in the finals it was all about N-S. E-W is now considered trendy in the hockey world.
Detroit has been one of the best teams in hockey now for over a decade.... they always used the E-W. It's worked for them, and watching them play is some of the most exciting, and fun hockey there is.

Old
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Didn't Detroit capitalize on a lot of Dallas' failed N/S passes that led to more than a few scoring chances and at least one SHG?

Seemed every time I looked up a Red Wing was picking off a N/S pass and breaking into the offensive zone.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:11 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Detroit has been one of the best teams in hockey now for over a decade.... they always used the E-W. It's worked for them, and watching them play is some of the most exciting, and fun hockey there is.
Oh I know they're consistently one of the best teams. IMO, they're also the best drafting team as well. But apparently Detroit knows something that Slats and Renney don't, and that's how to get E-W to work. We tried that style and couldn't pull it off. I know that E-W is now the flavor of the week but it just didn't work for us.

Old
05-23-2008, 12:16 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Oh I know they're consistently one of the best teams. IMO, they're also the best drafting team as well. But apparently Detroit knows something that Slats and Renney don't, and that's how to get E-W to work. We tried that style and couldn't pull it off. I know that E-W is now the flavor of the week but it just didn't work for us.
actually we pulled it off quite well in 05-06. We were in first place in the division for most of the year. We had alot of skill guys on the team in Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Sykora etc... and played it almost perfectly. Unfortunately jagr and hank got injured late in the season/playoffs which undermined the entire season. Than Sather or Renny decides to try to switch the team to N-S instead of keeping what was working well.

we were only a player or two away. We needed another playmaking center and a PP qb.... hmmm come to think about it we still need that. (Drury is not the answer at center)

Old
05-23-2008, 12:24 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
actually we pulled it off quite well in 05-06. We were in first place in the division for most of the year. We had alot of skill guys on the team in Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Sykora etc... and played it almost perfectly. Unfortunately jagr and hank got injured late in the season/playoffs which undermined the entire season. Than Sather or Renny decides to try to switch the team to N-S instead of keeping what was working well.
the problem was that no one else was any good and couldnt score without jagr

also, that team over-achieved, by a lot, and once jagr leaves, there arent many players available who are good at E-W....look at the players who are available in the draft, most players play N-S now and due to the increased speed of the new NHL, it makes sense that without any interference in the neutral zone, the transition game is even more important....if a team can jump on another team quickly(N-S) then they create more chances, but the team speed must be better(thats where shanny and jagr really hurt last year).....gomez and drury were brought in to create thaqt type of game and they did, but unfortunatley renney was more worried about the defencive end so all of the forwards were down to low to create any sort of quick transition which then lets the other teams defence stay in the zone longer to try and hold the puck in which creates more chances for them.....

a team like carolina is who i see the rangers becoming something like....they have the speedy guys who can transition quickly and they have the defnece to play it with the great passers they have onthe back-end...

Old
05-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Ola

Quote:
I don't think we are far off, like if you turn around that argument -- how many new North-South players do we need to compete with Anaheim or Philly as a N-S team? In terms of N-S players Philly is miles ahead of us. Not to mention a team like Anaheim.

In the end, our system is a E-W system, thats not even up for debate really. We play a controlled transition game, we want to open up ice in the neutral zone by having a fast LW that skips the zone early, while having centers who can transport the puck.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:29 PM
beastly115

Quote:

also, that team over-achieved, by a lot, and once jagr leaves, there arent many players available who are good at E-W....look at the players who are available in the draft, most players play N-S now and due to the increased speed of the new NHL, it makes sense that without any interference in the neutral zone, the transition game is even more important....if a team can jump on another team quickly(N-S) then they create more chances, but the team speed must be better(thats where shanny and jagr really hurt last year).....gomez and drury were brought in to create thaqt type of game and they did, but unfortunatley renney was more worried about the defencive end so all of the forwards were down to low to create any sort of quick transition which then lets the other teams defence stay in the zone longer to try and hold the puck in which creates more chances for them.....

a team like carolina is who i see the rangers becoming something like....they have the speedy guys who can transition quickly and they have the defnece to play it with the great passers they have onthe back-end...
I hope to god we don't become like Carolina

Old
05-23-2008, 12:35 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
It's not that there wasn't anybody else good. We just needed another good center for the second line. And a PP qb.

Quote:
also, that team over-achieved, by a lot, and once jagr leaves, there arent many players available who are good at E-W
100% correct.... that's why I said we need to play NS w/ our team. i would just rather to see us get EW players and go that direction... sadly it won't happen.

Quote:
look at the players who are available in the draft, most players play N-S now and due to the increased speed of the new NHL, it makes sense that without any interference in the neutral zone, the transition game is even more important....if a team can jump on another team quickly(N-S) then they create more chances, but the team speed must be better(thats where shanny and jagr really hurt last year).....
A good EW team can do the exact same thing. Look at Pitt and Detroit. They are fast but both rely on good passing and puck possesion. But they also have great transition games. It's almost like they are a hybrid. they can play the NS game (well too) if need be but are much better at the EW game.

Quote:
gomez and drury were brought in to create thaqt type of game and they did, but unfortunatley renney was more worried about the defencive end so all of the forwards were down to low to create any sort of quick transition which then lets the other teams defence stay in the zone longer to try and hold the puck in which creates more chances for them.....
agree completely. But I also think drury is more suited for wing than center. Bug again i prefer playmaking centers.

Quote:
we definately don't have great passers. In fact we probably have the worst passing team in history.

Old
05-23-2008, 12:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
It's not that there wasn't anybody else good. We just needed another good center for the second line. And a PP qb.

100% correct.... that's why I said we need to play NS w/ our team. i would just rather to see us get EW players and go that direction... sadly it won't happen.

A good EW team can do the exact same thing. Look at Pitt and Detroit. They are fast but both rely on good passing and puck possesion. But they also have great transition games. It's almost like they are a hybrid. they can play the NS game (well too) if need be but are much better at the EW game.

agree completely. But I also think drury is more suited for wing than center. Bug again i prefer playmaking centers.

we definately don't have great passers. In fact we probably have the worst passing team in history.
actauuly our defenseman have very good outlet passes, which is what i was talking about....the problem is the rangers lack the skill....they drafted based on charecter at first which is what we are seeing and they dont have enough skill to make those high-end passes....

Old
05-23-2008, 12:43 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
actauuly our defenseman have very good outlet passes, which is what i was talking about....the problem is the rangers lack the skill....they drafted based on charecter at first which is what we are seeing and they dont have enough skill to make those high-end passes....
out of the 4 we have on contract for next year. I think Staal is the only player who has a good outlet pass and I don't even think his is that great. Girardi and Tyutin's passes aren't that accurate. and Backman while he has great ones when not pressured, when he is pressured is TO prone.

agree 100% about the lack of skill. Passes seem to be too far ahead or to far behind, and most of the time they aren't received that cleanly.

Old
05-23-2008, 01:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
out of the 4 we have on contract for next year. I think Staal is the only player who has a good outlet pass and I don't even think his is that great. Girardi and Tyutin's passes aren't that accurate. and Backman while he has great ones when not pressured, when he is pressured is TO prone.

agree 100% about the lack of skill. Passes seem to be too far ahead or to far behind, and most of the time they aren't received that cleanly.
girardi and tyutin are both known for their great outlet passes....especially girardi...

Old
05-23-2008, 01:03 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
girardi and tyutin are both known for their great outlet passes....especially girardi...
see I think Malik had great outlet passes.

Girarid and Tyuts just seem to chip it up the boards alot. I don't really remember them opening up the game a whole lot.

Old
05-23-2008, 01:10 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
The north-south, two-way style won't win it for East teams anymore, it's that simple. Anaheim did it with a bruising team and the best D in the NHL, which gave Selanne the confidence to work magic.

And were we such a balanced team? No. A LOT of dischord. You have Jagr, Malik, Shanahanan and Strudwick getting pulled over for being way under the speed limit, and on the other end of the spectrum are Gomez, Straka , Avery and Sjostrom.

We had a first line skating in circles, a second line like boy scouts on a hike with a confused leader (Shanahan), a third line playing D, and a fourth line doing odd jobs. We had a blueline of third pairing guys. The lack of productivity was balanced I guess. THAT is why we took a step backwards in the playoffs (where, ironically, we DID get balanced scoring). We had this cute fairytale attitude that we could go deep with hard work, spirit and character. Which gets you only so far (that was ALL the Isles had with a top line of Fedotenko-Comrie-old man Guerin).

Look at the Pens, the Sabres last season, the Canes in '06. High-flying offensive teams with average D and excellent young goalies (two of whom have since fallen a lot, but nonetheless). This is how the East wins. The game is more open and quicker. If we changed our approach, we would answer a lot of questions: can Gomez be a no. 1 C like Marc Savard? Can Drury net 70 pts.? How will Lundqvist fare with more high-speed breaks down the wing? What is Staal's true offensive upside?

Some will claim to know the anwsers, but there's no way to know. Last question: if we sign Jagr for 2-3 more yrs @ 6-7M, what happens if/when his well runs dry?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 01:17 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
The north-south, two-way style won't win it for East teams anymore, it's that simple. Anaheim did it with a bruising team and the best D in the NHL, which gave Selanne the confidence to work magic.

And were we such a balanced team? No. A LOT of dischord. You have Jagr, Malik, Shanahanan and Strudwick getting pulled over for being way under the speed limit, and on the other end of the spectrum are Gomez, Straka , Avery and Sjostrom.

We had a first line skating in circles, a second line like boy scouts on a hike with a confused leader (Shanahan), a third line playing D, and a fourth line doing odd jobs. We had a blueline of third pairing guys. The lack of productivity was balanced I guess. THAT is why we took a step backwards in the playoffs (where, ironically, we DID get balanced scoring). We had this cute fairytale attitude that we could go deep with hard work, spirit and character. Which gets you only so far (that was ALL the Isles had with a top line of Fedotenko-Comrie-old man Guerin).

Look at the Pens, the Sabres last season, the Canes in '06. High-flying offensive teams with average D and excellent young goalies (two of whom have since fallen a lot, but nonetheless). This is how the East wins. The game is more open and quicker. If we changed our approach, we would answer a lot of questions: can Gomez be a no. 1 C like Marc Savard? Can Drury net 70 pts.? How will Lundqvist fare with more high-speed breaks down the wing? What is Staal's true offensive upside?

Some will claim to know the anwsers, but there's no way to know. Last question: if we sign Jagr for 2-3 more yrs @ 6-7M, what happens if/when his well runs dry?
thats the truth, thats why i want malik, shanahan, mara all gone and to upgrade those spots and keep jagr with dubi as those two big-bodies worked well this year together....gomez needs a speedy winger who can score...add rolston and keep drury with callahan and add korpikoski......jagr i dont think is the problem, its that they have layers playing in the wrong roles......callahan should be a borderline 3rd liner....sjostrom is the same.....dawes should play with gomez as he is the only one with any sort of solid skill.....