HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Cory Stillman (with Hossa and Orpik) anyone?

Old
05-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Cory Stillman (with Hossa and Orpik) anyone?

How about Stillman at LW? We definitely will have a hole there if Straka leaves (no, Korps will not keep up his goal-a-game pace, look at his AHL and EU stats).

We can make it work under the cap.

We'll shed about $16M in contracts and the cap increase will be $4-5M, so the total amount would be $20-21 available to spend.

Stillman ($5) - Gomez - Hossa ($7.5)
Dawes - Drury - Cally
Avery - Dubinsky - Prucha/Sjostrom
Korps - Betts - Byers

Replacements: Orr, Hollweg

Rosie ($4.5) - Staal
Tuts - Girardi
Backman - Orpik ($2)

Replacements: Strudwick, Pock or their talent/salary equivalents from the market or Hartford.

Lundqvist
Vally

This would still leave us with $1-2M available in case we need it during the season for some minor adjustments. I also wouldn't mind waiving Backman and getting someone at a third of the cost for the 6-spot.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:34 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
How about Stillman at LW? We definitely will have a hole there if Straka leaves (no, Korps will not keep up his goal-a-game pace, look at his AHL and EU stats).

We can make it work under the cap.

We'll shed about $16M in contracts and the cap increase will be $4-5M, so the total amount would be $20-21 available to spend.

Stillman ($5) - Gomez - Hossa ($7.5)
Dawes - Drury - Cally
Avery - Dubinsky - Prucha/Sjostrom
Korps - Betts - Byers

Replacements: Orr, Hollweg

Rosie ($4.5) - Staal
Tuts - Girardi
Backman - Orpik ($2)

Replacements: Strudwick, Pock or their talent/salary equivalents from the market or Hartford.

Lundqvist
Vally

This would still leave us with $1-2M available in case we need it during the season for some minor adjustments. I also wouldn't mind waiving Backman and getting someone at a third of the cost for the 6-spot.
orpik is making too little and stillman is making too much....honestly, i would rather get a player like ryder or rolston if the rangers needed a player to play with hossa and gomez as they are both playmakers and need a finisher

hossa-gomez-rolston
dawes-drury-avery
callahan-dubinsky-korpikoski
sjostrom-betts-byers/orr

on defence i wouldnt resign rozsival and i would sign orpik and vandermeer

staal-orpik
girardi-tyutin
potter-vandermeer

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:36 PM
mike14

Hossa's going to get more than 7.5

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
TheHotRock

not feeling that lineup...at all, i'd honesly rather tank/go with all kids than ice that borderline playoff lineup next year

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
not feeling that lineup...at all, i'd honesly rather tank/go with all kids than ice that borderline playoff lineup next year
agreed

Old
05-22-2008, 10:52 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

You guys are acting like Jagr is as good as gone.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:02 PM
hlundqvist30*

How about we just get every UFA and RFA?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:16 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
How about we just get every UFA and RFA?
can we do that and also trade for kovlachuk and gaborik?

Old
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Celestial Black

I will definitely pass on this idea. I'm hoping Orpik and maybe making a play for a RFA.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:12 AM
NYR Viper

HAHA, what if the rangers went after perry with an offer sheet and got him and then turned around and traded him to atlanta plus dawes for kovalchuk

Old
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Turambar

Tyutin, Dawes, 2nd for Ovechkin.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Hossa's going to get more than 7.5
Seeing how he's making 7M this season, I would say so.

05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Stillman could be a nice addition to add some secondary scoring. I don't think its Cap-feasible, but a forward line-up like this could be solid and deep (I don't have access to all the Rangers cap #'s right now):

Straka ($1.5) - Dubinksy ($800K) - Jagr ($6.5, w/ $1 million deferred)
Stillman ($3.0) - Gomez ($7.1) - Rolston ($4.0)
Avery ($3.5) - Drury ($7.0) - Dawes ($800K)
Sjstrom ($750K) - Betts ($700K) - Callahan ($700K)
Orr ($500K)

-Prucha Traded away to free up cap space.
-Forward total of: $35.85

That would probably too much money devoted to the forwards only, not leaving much room for improvement on the D.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Stillman could be a nice addition to add some secondary scoring. I don't think its Cap-feasible, but a forward line-up like this could be solid and deep (I don't have access to all the Rangers cap #'s right now):

Orr ($500K)

That would probably too much money devoted to the forwards only, not leaving much room for improvement on the D.
i wouldnt sign stillman.....and i would move dawes up and callahan up and not sign straka

jagr-dubi-avery
dawes-gomez-rolston
callahan-drury-korpikoski
sjostrom-betts-byers/orr

Old
05-23-2008, 01:02 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Orr ($500K)

plus if the rangers were to spend that much money on offense i ould rather sign hoss and give jagr 5.5, not sign straka, stillman or rolston and thats 8 million right there

Old
05-23-2008, 01:07 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
plus if the rangers were to spend that much money on offense i ould rather sign hoss and give jagr 5.5, not sign straka, stillman or rolston and thats 8 million right there
The problem with that is that there would be no depth then. Hossa will probably get a bit more the $8 million too. Probably somewhere around $8.5.

Old
05-23-2008, 01:08 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i wouldnt sign stillman.....and i would move dawes up and callahan up and not sign straka

jagr-dubi-avery
dawes-gomez-rolston
callahan-drury-korpikoski
sjostrom-betts-byers/orr
I forgot about korpido.

Old
05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
The problem with that is that there would be no depth then. Hossa will probably get a bit more the $8 million too. Probably somewhere around $8.5.
you wouldn't need to sign as many players.

Avery-Dubi-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Hossa
Korps-Drury-Cally
Sjos-Betts-Orr/Byers

That's a pretty scary looking forward lineup.

Defense:

Staal (still need dman)- I say liles
Girardi-Potter/pock?
Backman-Tyutin.

I also think Girardi and Tytuin need to be broken up.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 01:19 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
you wouldn't need to sign as many players.

Avery-Dubi-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Hossa
Korps-Drury-Cally
Sjos-Betts-Orr/Byers

That's a pretty scary looking forward lineup.

Defense:

Staal (still need dman)- I say liles
Girardi-Potter/pock?
Backman-Tyutin.

I also think Girardi and Tytuin need to be broken up.
I don't know. That line-up just doesn't jump out at me as being that deep or that scary. Signing a player like Hossa for more then likely 5 to 6 years at over $8 million a pop will more then likely end up hurting the Rangers in the long run when players like Dubi and Staal (And even Chereponov's and Sang's entry level contracts will expire during Hossa's contract) deals will expire need to be re-signed to pretty significant raises. Signing two UFA's in Rolston and Stillman to shorter contracts will be good place holders and give the Rangers greater cap flexibility down the road, not to mention to have scoring threats on every line.

Not saying my line-up is perfect, because it isn't and I forgot Korpido, so Either Straka could be dropped or Stillman, move Avery up to the 1st or 2nd line, depending on who is not signed between Straka and Stillman, and put Korpido on that 3rd line.

Old
05-23-2008, 01:30 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I don't know. That line-up just doesn't jump out at me as being that deep or that scary. Signing a player like Hossa for more then likely 5 to 6 years at over $8 million a pop will more then likely end up hurting the Rangers in the long run when players like Dubi and Staal (And even Chereponov's and Sang's entry level contracts will expire during Hossa's contract) deals will expire need to be re-signed to pretty significant raises. Signing two UFA's in Rolston and Stillman to shorter contracts will be good place holders and give the Rangers greater cap flexibility down the road, not to mention to have scoring threats on every line.
by the time Cherry will have his entry level contract be over, Drury's contract will be over. Sangs' ELC will be over after 09-10 which will probably be his rookie year. he will not get a monstrous contract after that. Dubi is up for a new contract next year. he won't get a monster contract either. Probably about $2.5 mil. Staal is up in two years. He might get a decent sized contracts but it probably won't be up over $5 mil.

By the way in two years Jagr's contract will be done freeing up room. We have plenty of cheap talent that will be coming up, and the best part is that the cap will keep raising. There is plenty of wiggle room.

Also don't forget that if we think that another team will try to Poach one of our RFA's we can always take him to arbitration so another team cannot. Then work out a 1 yr deal like w/ did w/ Hanke. Just another option of keeping our core players on smaller contracts for 1 extra year.

And how doesn't that lineup see deep to you.

you have a first line w/ Jagr who can still put up some #'s. The second line is Gomez and a perenial 30 goal guy who has put up 40 goals in a season before. the 3rd line is your defensive line that can also put up some goals. it is a very deep lineup.

Old
05-23-2008, 01:39 PM
TheHotRock

rags225, i like your lineup a lot
one change- sign orpik for 3-4 and throw backman in hartford

Old
05-23-2008, 01:44 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
rags225, i like your lineup a lot
one change- sign orpik for 3-4 and throw backman in hartford
depending on what you sign Jagr, Hossa, Avery, and Liles for if it is feasible than yeah. But I think these 4 are more important.

Old
05-23-2008, 01:47 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
by the time Cherry will have his entry level contract be over, Drury's contract will be over. Sangs' ELC will be over after 09-10 which will probably be his rookie year. he will not get a monstrous contract after that. Dubi is up for a new contract next year. he won't get a monster contract either. Probably about $2.5 mil. Staal is up in two years. He might get a decent sized contracts but it probably won't be up over $5 mil.

By the way in two years Jagr's contract will be done freeing up room. We have plenty of cheap talent that will be coming up, and the best part is that the cap will keep raising. There is plenty of wiggle room.

Also don't forget that if we think that another team will try to Poach one of our RFA's we can always take him to arbitration so another team cannot. Then work out a 1 yr deal like w/ did w/ Hanke. Just another option of keeping our core players on smaller contracts for 1 extra year.

And how doesn't that lineup see deep to you.

you have a first line w/ Jagr who can still put up some #'s. The second line is Gomez and a perenial 30 goal guy who has put up 40 goals in a season before. the 3rd line is your defensive line that can also put up some goals. it is a very deep lineup.
If Staal continues to progress, in two years he will easily be making more then $5 million a season. The way RFA's are being paid and the decreasing age to reach UFA status you have to sign him to a larger contract then normal to prevent another team throwing an offer sheet at him. Granted a lot can happen in two years and who knows how much more (Or little, hopefully not little) Staal will progress. Maybe saying your projected line-up wasn't deep was the wrong statement. I don't see how its much better then this past season. Stillman probably isn't even necessary for the Rangers to go after in my proposed line-up. I just have a feeling that if Jagr is re-signed, Straka will be re-signed as well.

As for Hossa, adding him at $8.5 million, cuppled with Gomez at $7.1, Drury at $7, and Henrik at $6.75 (That's almost $30 million, more then 1/2 of the salary cap for next season, tied up in 4 players). That amount will be on the books for a min. of the next 4 years. WIth the cap going up to around $56 million, that leaves an average of $1.625 million left per player to fill the remaining 16 spots (Not even counting one or two reserve players) A team cannot afford to do something like that and still remain competitive in the NHL. There is no wiggle room. I mean what happens if for some reason the cap has to go down? Or doesn't go up as much as it has in the past? The Rangers could be in some deep trouble keeping their younger players then.

Old
05-23-2008, 01:58 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
If Staal continues to progress, in two years he will easily be making more then $5 million a season. The way RFA's are being paid and the decreasing age to reach UFA status you have to sign him to a larger contract then normal to prevent another team throwing an offer sheet at him.
Again if you want to keep a player for an extra year just offer him salary arbitration. No team can offer him an offersheet than. Than hopefully he will do a 1 year deal for a decent salary before cashing in the next year. Like we did w/ hank.

Quote:
Granted a lot can happen in two years and who knows how much more (Or little, hopefully not little) Staal will progress. Maybe saying your projected line-up wasn't deep was the wrong statement. I don't see how its much better then this past season. Stillman probably isn't even necessary for the Rangers to go after in my proposed line-up. I just have a feeling that if Jagr is re-signed, Straka will be re-signed as well.
Hossa is a huge improvement over Hossa both offensively and defensively. Liles can lead the PP. Both are good at the PP. if our PP was halfway decent this season we would be in the SCF and not Pittsburgh. Also if Straks comes back at say $2mil I would sign him and just let avery walk. It will free up a little cap space and it won't be that big of a difference to the team.

Quote:
As for Hossa, adding him at $8.5 million, cuppled with Gomez at $7.1, Drury at $7, and Henrik at $6.75 (That's almost $30 million, more then 1/2 of the salary cap for next season, tied up in 4 players). That amount will be on the books for a min. of the next 4 years. WIth the cap going up to around $56 million, that leaves an average of $1.625 million left per player to fill the remaining 16 spots (Not even counting one or two reserve players) A team cannot afford to do something like that and still remain competitive in the NHL. There is no wiggle room. I mean what happens if for some reason the cap has to go down? Or doesn't go up as much as it has in the past? The Rangers could be in some deep trouble keeping their younger players then.
Ok that is the scary part. but look at it this way. There aren't alot of players who will be getting big raises, and we have a tons of cheap talent in that time period. which is why it is feasible. the only players gettting big raises will be Staal and maybe Dubi.

Old
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Again if you want to keep a player for an extra year just offer him salary arbitration. No team can offer him an offersheet than. Than hopefully he will do a 1 year deal for a decent salary before cashing in the next year. Like we did w/ hank.

Hossa is a huge improvement over Hossa both offensively and defensively. Liles can lead the PP. Both are good at the PP. if our PP was halfway decent this season we would be in the SCF and not Pittsburgh. Also if Straks comes back at say $2mil I would sign him and just let avery walk. It will free up a little cap space and it won't be that big of a difference to the team. Also, I think letting Avery walk would be a huge mistake.

Ok that is the scary part. but look at it this way. There aren't alot of players who will be getting big raises, and we have a tons of cheap talent in that time period. which is why it is feasible. the only players gettting big raises will be Staal and maybe Dubi.

Thats the thing though, the Rangers do not have a lot of cheap players. You say you want to re-sign Jagr (At least $5.0), Avery (At least $3.0), and Liles (At least $4.0). Thats an extra $12 million right there for a total of $42 million for 7 players. I don't know Tyutins cap hit off the top of my head but its somewhere around $2.3 I think, and girardi's is somewhere around $1.5. So now your at around $47 million. The Rangers have about $1.5 million in dead space for next season due to Shanny's bonuses, so now your at $48.5, for 9 players. You have kept Backman in your line-up, so thats another $2.3 for a grand total of $50.8 million for just 1/2 the team.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything like that, just trying to point out that its more than likely not feasible this season, as well as in the future, to sign Hossa and Jagr. Jagr would have to go in order for there to be a chance to work, and I don't see the Rangers walking away from Jagr.