HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What age they start to allow hitting

Old
05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Bill_Crosby*

vCash: 500
What age they start to allow hitting

I'm doing a project for my Intro to Psych class where our bleed-heart prof is trying to blame hockey for aggressive behaviour in 7 year olds.

I think it's either 9 or 11, but I can't remember. I will probably need a link to cite my source too if anyone knows of a crediable place, I was poking around google with no success.

Thanks!

Bill_Crosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:44 PM
frito

USA hockey begins checking at the peewee level which is 11 and 12 year olds (they actually could be 10 for half the season since the age is based on calendar year, not hockey season. So for the upcoming 2008/2009 season, anybody born 1997 and later are of checking age. Refer to Rule 640 (a) of 2007-09 Official Rules of Ice Hockey from the USA Hockey website.

Now we do encourage even the younger players to be aggressive in the form of hustle to the puck, play shoulder to shoulder etc. Non-checking doesn't mean non-contact but the contact really is no greater than any other sport. If any sport at that age results in aggressive behavior I'd have to say it is football, not hockey.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Schenn Him

Body Checking in Atom Hockey Motion Defeated @ Hockey Canada AGM

Effects of the Implementation of Body Checking in Atom Hockey - Preliminary Report

Atom would be 9 & 10 year olds, and I think that would be the absolute youngest you would find anywhere.

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Bill_Crosby*

Thanks for the help guys

Bill_Crosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
USA hockey begins checking at the peewee level which is 11 and 12 year olds (they actually could be 10 for half the season since the age is based on calendar year, not hockey season. So for the upcoming 2008/2009 season, anybody born 1997 and later are of checking age. Refer to Rule 640 (a) of 2007-09 Official Rules of Ice Hockey from the USA Hockey website.

Now we do encourage even the younger players to be aggressive in the form of hustle to the puck, play shoulder to shoulder etc. Non-checking doesn't mean non-contact but the contact really is no greater than any other sport. If any sport at that age results in aggressive behavior I'd have to say it is football, not hockey.
Same in Nova Scotia for rep teams, but Peewee remains nonchecking for houseleague.

The contact is still greater than most sports due to skating being faster than running, and of course the boards.

I think Ontario starts at Atom. Not sure about houseleague teams.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 04:40 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Same in Nova Scotia for rep teams, but Peewee remains nonchecking for houseleague.

The contact is still greater than most sports due to skating being faster than running, and of course the boards.

I think Ontario starts at Atom. Not sure about houseleague teams.
Minor atom for competitive (9 years old) and I think they've completely abolished hitting in house league (or at least it was a couple years ago).

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
MikeD

While checking may start at a later age than 7 hockey does encourage very aggressive behavior. We are talking about the only pro sport where "fighting" are considered a minor penalty. Of course any contact sport will encourage aggressive behavior. The age that checking begins does not provide a major rebutt to your profs side of the debate.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
While checking may start at a later age than 7 hockey does encourage very aggressive behavior. We are talking about the only pro sport where "fighting" are considered a minor penalty. Of course any contact sport will encourage aggressive behavior. The age that checking begins does not provide a major rebutt to your profs side of the debate.
Agree. Also to some extent sportsmanship is discouraged in the name of entertainment at the Junior to NHL level so the 7 year olds have that as role models; even if the same players (the role models), are respectful individuals off the ice, on the soccer fields, or even playing contact sports like football or rugby.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Everest

I say let them play non-contact until Pee-Wee. I also think only the higher levels of Pee-Wee should be hitting. The House League kids still need to work on skating and for some of the weaker/smaller players its really distracting to learn the game when a stronger player is stalking you down.

Comes down to parity in skill level as far as I'm concerend.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote