HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Penalty kill video

Old
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
DJnet65

vCash: 500
Penalty kill video

Hello All,

My team has been having some problems killing penalties and our captain has asking us to help him find a good video demonstrating the penaly kill using a basic box strategy.

If anyone has a link for a good video which demonstrates penalty kill strategies and techniques, I would appreciate a link.

thanks in advance.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnet65 View Post
Hello All,

My team has been having some problems killing penalties and our captain has asking us to help him find a good video demonstrating the penaly kill using a basic box strategy. If anyone has a link for a good video which demonstrates penalty kill strategies and techniques, I would appreciate a link. thanks in advance.
I don't have a video, but I could help explain the system to you if you like.

First, penalty killing starts way before you enter any type of defensive box. In fact it starts in the other teams defending zone.

Look at this first picture:

Notice, that we have two zones. A blue zone and a yellow zone. It doesn't matter which direction the player goes within these zones. What does matter is the player who enters the main zone first. The first player that crosses the blueline first, takes the blue zone and the second player in, takes the yellow zone.

Example: If you are on the far side(R)and you are the first man in, then you will go deep and turn towards the near side.

Once you have entered the two zones, you start the next phase.

This phase is where you turn up ice and pick up the winger heading up the ice. Now, if you notice, here in this picture, the winger's are on the inside and the other player you are picking up is on the out side towards the boards.

As you get closer to the blue line.

the player that you are defending is going to want to turn and straddle the blue line to keep himself from going off side. All you have to do is angle this player across for the off side to stop the attack. This will work even if the puck carrier tries to dump and chase the puck.

Now, what is this going to do for you. First, rather than chasing after the puck carrier and then having him pass to the open man that you should have been covering, now you are taking the man up the ice and taking him out of the play.

This will force the puck carrier to make a decisions to take the puck up the ice himself and not go off sides. I have found that this works every well for me when I am short handed. Yes, the attacking team can dump and chase it down. But this is where I place my two best skater at and they get back on defense and dump it down the ice!

Any time an attcking team dumps and chases the puck, they run the risk of having the defensemen throw it out of the zone.

Here's what I teach my team....

"The team that controls the puck the most...wins! The team that doesn't control the puck...loses!

As you can see, I am not a big fan of dump and chase.

So let say, the attacking team does get it into the zone. The first thing you are going to want to do is regain control and ice the puck. Here's the next rule....

If you can see the other teams logo on the front of their jersey, you set up in the box. If you don't see the other teams logo, you continue to pressure until you regain control and ice the puck.

If you ice the puck, then you go back to square one (after you put fresh legs out) and pick up the man coming up the ice.

If you don't ice the puck, you set up in the box.

Now there are two types of basic boxes.

The first one is known as a passive box:

Notice that you have two defensemen deep and two winger high in the slot to form a box. How, the attacking team's job is to set up in an exterior perimeter and move the puck around until you (the defending team) distorts the box and it is out of shape. Once they have you guys out of the box, then the attacking team can start cycling players in and out of the box for one timer shots.

Or, once the box is distorted, they can pass through the box to players that have positioned themselves, ready to receive the pass for a one timer shot.

So hold the Integrity of the box at all times.

The second type of box is an "Aggressive" box.

This is more of a diamond shape box, where the point of the diamond follows the puck carrier out at the point. So this means that the box will have to rotate and adjust it's self depending apoun the location of the puck, out at the point.

This type of box is going to help reduce the Accuracy of the pass between the attacking team members through the box.

However, it is very easy to attack in this type of box, if you have a well controlled passing team. The attacking team must pass tape to tape inorder to have a successful goal.

In order to defend against this aggressive box, the outer perimeter needs to rotate as well.

Notice that I have direction lines on the perimeter. If the perimeter move in either direction by about 5 to 6 feet in either direction, all players within the perimeter must move 5 to 6 feet as well in the same direction.

What this is going to is open up passing lanes into the box.

My favorite set up is behind the net. Once the puck is behind, send one of the defensemen into the box to receive the puck from behind the net.

Now, which defensemen comes into the box? If the player set up behind the net shoots left. Then have the defensemen at the point on that side, enter into the box.

Notice that once the defensemen enters the box, have the winger on that side cycle out to the point to take the defensemen's place. Then have the defensemen cycle into the spot where the winger was at.

If the puck is out at the point.

Have the off winger cycle into the box and have the player that sets up behind the net, move to the wingers side to relace the open hole in the perimeter. have the winger that enters the box, cycle behind!

Hope all this helps.
Head coach.

Last edited by Headcoach: 05-24-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:16 PM
deanosaur

Headcoach
This one team I was on used a style called the "Pistol" I think that's what it was. Is that the same thing?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Headcoach
This one team I was on used a style called the "Pistol" I think that's what it was. Is that the same thing?

Well, I have never heard of it called the "piston". However, I will check into it and do some research and get back with you.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 04:27 PM
MikeD

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/se...ll&mode=search

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
DJnet65

Thanks for all your help guys. Our penalty kill was actually pretty good our last game.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:06 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Great resource here Headcoach. This should be stickied for being so helpful. Hats off.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:38 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Great resource here Headcoach. This should be stickied for being so helpful. Hats off.
Agreed very useful

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote