HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

Texas Tornado out for 08-09

Old
05-09-2008, 09:49 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Texas Tornado out for 08-09

The Texas Tornado out of the NAHL will be put on hold for the 08-09 season. The remodeling of the Deja Blue Arena in Frisco has apparently put the team out for 08-09. I guess they couldn't find a replacement arena to play in. This is a dissapointment to all Tornado fans and i guess Wildcat fans to. I don't know. BUT WE WILL BE BACK IN 09-10 BABY! GO TORNADO!!

Last edited by starsfan24: 05-09-2008 at 10:03 PM.
starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 10:03 PM
CrazyEddie20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
I heard the Texas Tornado out of the NAHL will be put on hold for the 08-09 season. The remodeling of the Deja Blue Arena in Frisco has apparently put the team out for 08-09. I guess they couldn't find a replacement arena to play in. This is a dissapointment to all Tornado fans and i guess Wildcat fans to. I don't know. BUT WE WILL BE BACK IN 09-10 BABY! GO TORNADO!!
What is Larry Bloom going to do?

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Ryan

I heard some speculation that Texas is fixing up their arena in an attempt to make the jump to the USHL.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 08:06 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I heard some speculation that Texas is fixing up their arena in an attempt to make the jump to the USHL.
Really? They are just adding seats is all i know, but where did you hear that? Well i'm not sure all i know is when we come back we are gonna look like crap and probobly finish last in our division.

Old
05-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Ryan

I think I've heard about it a couple of different places. Can't remember where I originally heard it though.

Old
05-18-2008, 12:21 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

Tornadohockey.com report
TEXAS TORNADO HOCKEY TO TAKE HIATUS DURING EXPANSION OF DR PEPPER STARCENTER IN FRISCO

FRISCO, Texas (May 14, 2008) – Schlegel Sports, ownership group of the Texas Tornado hockey team, announced today the team will take a one-year hiatus while the City of Frisco and Dallas Stars complete an expansion of the Deja Blue Ice Arena at the Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco.

The Texas Tornado will resume normal operations in Spring 2009 for the 2009-2010 season at the Deja Blue Ice Arena. The expanded and renovated facility will feature more general and upgraded seating with a new second level, additional suites, an enhanced promenade, a new video board on the north end and two on the south end, and a new parking garage incorporating an additional 1,000 spaces.

“Although we will have an interruption in regular operations, we plan to continue our involvement in the community and prepare for the 2009-10 season,” said Kirby Schlegel, CEO of the Schlegel Sports. “The expanded facility will give us the ability to better serve our fans, sponsors and players. We believe we will attract additional season ticket and suite holders as a result of the new opportunities in the expanded venue. We are very excited for the possibilities that lie ahead for the Texas Tornado.”

Seating capacity for Tornado hockey will increase to 5,300 seats from the current configuration of 3,733 seats. A concourse level club lounge will be added with direct access to the suites on the west side of the arena. New restrooms, permanent concessions, a dining area, as well as 180 new east club seats with an adjacent club lounge, bar and dining space are also part of the expansion plan.

“We have had tremendous support from our fans, sponsors, and host families,“ continued Schlegel. “Our community can be very proud of the team and we will be back in full force for the 2009-10 season in an expanded, beautiful facility.”

In April 2008, the NAHL Texas Tornado completed their ninth season. Under the ownership of Schlegel Sports, the Texas Tornado has won four Robertson Cup Championships. Schlegel Sports specializes in sports team ownership and management, which also includes the Iowa Stars of the American Hockey League and the Tacoma Rainiers of the Pacific Coast League. More information is available at www.schlegelsports.com.

NAHL.com report

FRISCO, TEXAS – The North American Hockey League announced today that its Board of Governors has accepted the Texas Tornado’s request for dormancy for the 2008-09 season.

The request was made due to renovations at the Tornado’s home rink, the Deja Blue Ice Arena, located in Frisco, Texas.

“The Tornado organization has been one of the most successful in the NAHL over the years, both on and off the ice, and we’re looking forward to them returning to the league stronger than ever in 2009-10,” said NAHL commissioner Mark Frankenfeld.

“The expansion of the Dr Pepper StarCenter will give us an opportunity to better serve our fans, sponsors and players upon its completion in 2009,” said Kirbly Schlegel, chairman of Schlegel Sports, owner of the Tornado. “Although the team will have a one-year hiatus, we plan to use this time to prepare for the 2009-10 season creating an exceptional hockey experience.”

All players on the Tornado’s roster/protected list are eligible to be tendered by other NAHL teams and for selection in the upcoming NAHL Entry Draft, which will be held on Wednesday, May 21.

The Tornado will continue its day-to-day operations during its dormancy.

The Tornado has been members of the NAHL since the 1999-2000 season. The organization has won four Robertson Cup Championships, the most recent in 2006.

The oldest and largest junior league in the United States, the North American Hockey League, a USA Hockey-sanctioned Tier II Junior A league boasting 18 teams from across the country, including the esteemed USA Hockey National Team Development Program, prides itself on the social maturity and skill development of student-athletes ages 16-20 with aspirations of advancing to collegiate and/or professional hockey.

Old
05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Tornado OS

Send a message via Yahoo to Tornado OS
Efforts were made to play at other venues, however, as much as hockey has grown there just wasnt enough room for them to play. Some of the ideas were including the AAC and reunion arena but the costs were to high. The Arena (Deja Blue) was supposed to be done in Dec. but now it looks like it wont be done until March or even April of next year. There was really no choice other than to take the year off.
There are a few good things that came out of this;
1. Some of the Tornado players are going to be in the USHL next season.
2. Tornado can get a huge jump on recruiting
3. Able to spend more time with the AAA Midget Stars elite team to prepare them for the Tornado

Tornado OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:54 PM
james bond

Is the arena adding a second sheet of ice?
How many sheets of ice are now in the Greater Dallas area?

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 07:35 PM
GoalieLove

Frisco already has two sheets. The Tornado play on the Deja Blue side and the other rink is the official practice for the Stars.

Number of sheets in DFW? Wow. Umm...20 give or take. I'm counting the StarsCenters, NyTex, ASG, and Polar Ice but they're building a new rink for another CHL team in the area as well, so possibly one more for public use as well.

Well, and there's the rink at the mall, but it's public skate only, so I don't know if you want to count that one.

GoalieLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:30 PM
texascrazy horse

tornado season canceled what about the stars putting their AHL team in frisco for this season since they got rid of iowa???!!

texascrazy horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 09:50 PM
GoalieLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrazy horse View Post
tornado season canceled what about the stars putting their AHL team in frisco for this season since they got rid of iowa???!!
No. The entire reason the Tornado season is canceled is because they have no arena. Why would the Stars put their AHL in a building with no arena?

Old
05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

Alot of new additions to the arena:
Upgraded seating with a new 2nd level, additional suites, an enhanced promenade, a new video board on the north end and two on the south end, and a new parking garage incorperating an additional 1,000 spaces. Seating capacity for Tornado hockey will increase to 5,300 seats from the current configuration of 3,733 seats. And much more

Last edited by starsfan24: 05-22-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old
05-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Ryan

Isn't Dallas' AHL team going to play in Austin or something in a brand new arena?

Old
05-23-2008, 10:55 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

I don't know about that I think there is a team in Allen though

Old
05-24-2008, 01:12 AM
taloncarde15

My first thought was, why on earth would the stars close their arena they practice in, but I forgot they use the second sheet, and on top of that it's easier for them to use one of the other StarsCenter venues if they needed to, while the others aren't set up for a true game experience.

Oh well, was looking forward to catching some more Tornado games next year.

taloncarde15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Breakaway23*

I have yet to make it to a Tornado game, need to make it one of these days.

Why does the arena need re-modeling? Thing look brand-spanking sparkley shining last time I was there which was less than maybe 2 months ago.

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

I guess they wanna put more seats in. They are putting in permanent concessions instead of just the cart like things

Old
05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Tornado OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway23 View Post
I have yet to make it to a Tornado game, need to make it one of these days.

Why does the arena need re-modeling? Thing look brand-spanking sparkley shining last time I was there which was less than maybe 2 months ago.
This remodeling is a result of the city of Frisco, not the Stars or the Tornado. The city wanted to be able to host other events, like concerts, graduations, etc. When this remodeling is done, this will be one of the priemer places for events.

Old
05-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Tornado OS

Quote:
I don't know about that I think there is a team in Allen though
Its supposed to be a CHL team, possibly the Texas Brahmas will be moving there.

Old
05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
GoalieLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado OS View Post
Its supposed to be a CHL team, possibly the Texas Brahmas will be moving there.
No, the Brahmas are staying at NyTex. The Allen arena will host a new CHL expansion team.

Old
05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Kevin Wey

Hopefully this development and the addition of the Wenatchee Wild (Wenatchee, Washington) will alter the divisional alignment of the NAHL to something that makes what I'd consider geographic sense.

Northwest
Alaska Avalanche
Fairbanks Ice Dogs
Kenai River Brown Bears
Wenatchee Wild

South
Springfield Jr. Blues
St. Louis Bandits
Topeka Roadrunners
Wichita Falls Wildcats
(Maybe Texas Tornado upon their return)

Central
Albert Lea Thunder
Alexandria Blizzard
Bismarck Bobcats
North Iowa Outlaws
Owatonna TBD (remember, Southern Minnesota Express became Motor City Machine)

North
Alpena Ice Diggers
Mahoning Valley Phantoms
Marquette Rangers
Motor City Machine
Traverse City North Stars
USNTDP

With gas prices what they are, the NAHL will need to make these divisions as compact as they can, especially since few NAHL teams average over a 1,000 fans a game.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado OS View Post
This remodeling is a result of the city of Frisco, not the Stars or the Tornado. The city wanted to be able to host other events, like concerts, graduations, etc. When this remodeling is done, this will be one of the priemer places for events.
I heard from a friend of mine that they are trying to get a NBA D-League team (minor league basketball) I guess that would be alrite

Old
05-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Breakaway23*

Wow Wichita Falls from Frisco? IS that ever quite the downgrade.

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
GoalieLove

Quote:
I heard from a friend of mine that they are trying to get a NBA D-League team (minor league basketball) I guess that would be alrite
With all the trouble Fort Worth had/is having with their NBA D-League team, I can't see Frisco wanting one.

Old
05-30-2008, 08:47 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

I don't know it was just a rumor