HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to offer Sundin 7 Million?

Old
05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Gomez = 7+
Drury = 7+
Lundqvist = 6+

Sundin = 7+

???

HORRIBLE.

THIS is a perfect example of the pre-lockout terrible Ranger decisions.

Gomez needs a scoring winger, Jagr, who is not even under contract, doesn't need a center.

Drury needs a legitimate scoring winger.

We need a shut down, gritty defenseman, and a PP QB.

We DON'T need to spend 7 mil on a 37 year old.

Seriously, if this is the nonsense we have to look forward to, i think it is time to move on from the Jagr era.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Leeroy Jenkins

Sundin had more points, goals, and a better +/- then any Ranger last year. All that playing alongside a bunch of nobody's, and still maintaining a +/- of 17 playing for one of the worst defensive team's in the league. I think you guys are underestimating just how good of a player Sundin still is, even at the age of 38.

Leeroy Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy Jenkins View Post
Sundin had more points, goals, and a better +/- then any Ranger last year. All that playing alongside a bunch of nobody's, and still maintaining a +/- of 17 playing for one of the worst defensive team's in the league. I think you guys are underestimating just how good of a player Sundin still is, even at the age of 38.
You have completely missed the point. Most people aren't saying Sundin isn't good. The point is we can't spend another 7+ million on another player. We already have a lot tied up in 3 players, this would compound it and make it a real issue. 7+ million would be a bad idea for the New York Rangers salary cap.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 05:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Huselius scored 34 goals for 77 points in 2006-2007... and that was more then anyone on our roster that year... and Rolston, who will come at less then half the price scored one goal less then Sundin this year.

We could get Huselius, Rolston, and Orpik ...3 guys for only slightly more then the price being suggested for Sundin.

Just as an example of how horrible spending that money on one guy is.

Gomez needs a scoring winger.

Drury needs a scoring winger.

We need a PP QB.

And a shut down Dman.

Too many needs have to be addressed.

If Jagr wants to come back, he will play with who he is told. NO MORE going above and beyond to appease Jagr. This is a TEAM sport, not an individual sport. That is saved for Tenis.

Old
05-23-2008, 05:40 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
You have completely missed the point. Most people aren't saying Sundin isn't good. The point is we can't spend another 7+ million on another player. We already have a lot tied up in 3 players, this would compound it and make it a real issue. 7+ million would be a bad idea for the New York Rangers salary cap.
If it's a 1 year deal I don't see why it would be so bad. We wouldn't be stuck with him for long and it's not like this years UFA pool is that great anyway. If we have 7 million to spare, why not? Signing Sundin for 1 year might be better than signing a Ryder/Huselius for 4-5.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
If it's a 1 year deal I don't see why it would be so bad. We wouldn't be stuck with him for long and it's not like this years UFA pool is that great anyway. If we have 7 million to spare, why not? Signing Sundin for 1 year might be better than signing a Ryder/Huselius for 4-5.
I don't think we're going to have 7 million to spare is the issue. Yes, this years UFA pool isn't fantastic but that doesn't mean we have to sign someone just because. I'd rather save the cap room for perhaps a mid-year trade that will net something of greater value for the long term.

Losing Jagr means we have to consider ourselves just a step above basically rebuilding and Sundin is not part of that. We would have to think about acquiring assets that would prove useful in the long run and Sundin is not that.

Keeping Jagr means we don't have the 7 million to spare anyway so that ends that part of the discussion anyway.

I don't like Sundin for 7 million. 5 sounds like a better deal but I doubt he leaves Toronto unless forced away anyway.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:11 PM
ebn

I would not be concerned about Sundin's age. Look at Shanahan.
He was old too. Sundin is still a great player for two more years.
Move Drury with Dawes and Gomez and you got a great line.

Plus Dubinsky with Korpikoski and Callhan could be really good young third line.
This is a no brainer. Jagr could be deadly with Sundin like he was with Nylander.

That's why you are getting Sundin for Jagr. No other center really fit the bill.
Plus with Straka and Shanahan gone maybe we can afford Sundin and Jagr.

Shanahan made 5mil ok two more you got Sundin maybe one more depends what they agree on. The point is does Sundin want to come to NY not wether we should get him.

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

i really dont believe the rangers are going to sign sundin for 2 reasons.

1. why would he sign with any other team than the leafs when he refused to waive his no trade clause

2. i dont think sather will have 4 1st line centers

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:30 PM
In The Flesh

I'd def. welcome him here but I'm not wishing him to come here.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:38 PM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i really dont believe the rangers are going to sign sundin for 2 reasons.

1. why would he sign with any other team than the leafs when he refused to waive his no trade clause

2. i dont think sather will have 4 1st line centers
Your point one I don't know if Sundin wants to leave Toronto. Maybe they want to rebuilt. Maybe because they wanted to trade him. Here you got a point. Does Sundin want to leave Toronto but does Fletcher want him back when he wanted to trade him. Also Rangers pay 7 maybe 6mil does Toronto do the same then not make the playoffs again. It's up to him do you want a chance at the cup and play in NY or do you want to loose in Toronto.

Personally I would get Sundin for two years. Pay a little less. However that maybe more then Toronto wants. Plus we got a better team. I think iit's worth it to steal him.

Sundin is like Shanahan a proven leader a former captain of Toronto for years. If you can get this guy get him. plus he's like Nylander he can get Jagr going. That's the main point. Look if Gomez or Drury could play with Jagr I would say forget about it.
Dubinsky is still young althought he made great strides.

Who is going to go against Malkin And Crosby in the playoffs Dubinsky. The other two can't do anything with Jagr. The chemistry is not there.

The question is can Jagr play with Sundin and go against the teams top lines. If the answer is yes you go for him.

Old
05-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I think the bloggers are already bored and are just pulling crap out of their ass.

And I know everyone here is bored, cause you all keep eating up whatever they post.
This is going to be a looong summer.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:58 PM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
This is going to be a looong summer.
It won't be that long. Jagr will be signed before July 1st. Which is in a month and that's when Avery will be signed and maybe they go after Sundin or whoever else.

Iam telling you you want a chance at the cup get Sundin the best choice for Jagr.
Drury moves to right wing. Does Sundin really want to leave Toronto that's a whole other issue. But throwing two years and money always helps.

By that time Anisimov Cherepanov Dubinsky Dawes, Korpikowski Callahan should be here. I mean really good players.

Old
05-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Olorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome1612 View Post
You guys already overpaid Gomez by a lot don't do the same mistake with Sundin.
Gomez earned his money in the playoffs. You're not going to be able to say that about any Devil next year.

Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Leeroy Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Huselius scored 34 goals for 77 points in 2006-2007... and that was more then anyone on our roster that year... and Rolston, who will come at less then half the price scored one goal less then Sundin this year.

We could get Huselius, Rolston, and Orpik ...3 guys for only slightly more then the price being suggested for Sundin.

Just as an example of how horrible spending that money on one guy is.

Gomez needs a scoring winger.

Drury needs a scoring winger.

We need a PP QB.

And a shut down Dman.

Too many needs have to be addressed.

If Jagr wants to come back, he will play with who he is told. NO MORE going above and beyond to appease Jagr. This is a TEAM sport, not an individual sport. That is saved for Tenis.
So you'd rather have a group of players that all played well in a contract year, over a guy that has been one of the most consistent players over the past decade. Look what happened with Jason Blake, he had a career year last year and signed a lucrative contract and flopped the year after. With Sundin you know what your going to get, and you won't have to commit long term as Sundin has stated numerous times that he's only interested in signing 1 year contracts.

Anyways it really doesn't matter how much the rangers do decide to offer Sundin, as Sundin wants to end his career has a Maple Leaf.

Leeroy Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:18 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
Sundin and Jagr would probably end their careers at the same time and you'd have a huge chunk of change coming off the books and would eb able to retool on the fly. I like it. I'd much rather pay Sundin 7 mil a year for 2 years than dish out 8plus to a guy like Hossa for 6-7 years.
I definitely agree with that point.

Signing Sundin as a stop-gap center to stack up for one or two more cup runs would not be a bad idea. However, there are some questions here.

1. He was pretty adamant about not leaving Toronto. He and his family are very happy there, and he loves the organization. Will he summon it up to leave?

2. He had a great year this year playing on a terrible defensive team, and put up world class numbers, 32 goals, 78 points 7 more goals and points than ANYONE on the Rangers. Can he replicate those numbers on this team?

3. Will his age finally catch up to him? It hasn't so far, but we've seen Jagr drop 30 goals and 50 points from his 06 totals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
i guess everyone forgets about getting old players....just because we have had 2 good years doesn't mean that we can start signing old guys again. This team needs to keep playing the young guns and building with them, not signing high priced old guys.
Can you tell that to everyone else who thinks bringing back Jagr at 2 years 12 million is such a great idea?

Because from what I'm seeing, everyone totally forgot about that part when the name "Jagr" was mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
no thanks! 7mil for one overaged player when we can get both Ryder and Huselius for the same price.
And why would this team want 2 kleenex-soft, streaky players that don't give a **** about defense?

Those two are the exact opposite of what this team needs, stay far away.

Quote:
No one is arguing Sundin's effectiveness at this point of his career.

What we're wondering is if he'll be able to keep that up, one year later, one year older.

I think his numbers actually quite remarkable, considering the crap he's played with in Toronto since Gartner, Gilmour, and Thomas left. Berezin, Jonas Hoglund (how many open nets could one player miss?), Antropov (The Carl Pavano of Hockey)... Aside from Steen, Wellwood, and Ponikarovsky (who just started to come around), he hasn't had much offensive talent around him over his stay in Toronto.

Not only that, but Sundin is the consumate two-way center. On top of being tremendously talented offensively, the guy is very smart in his own zone, a great penalty killer, a solid face-off guy, and plays all game situations.

If it came down to overpaying Sundin for 2 years, and overpaying Hossa for 5-6, I definitely overpay Sundin for 2 years so we're not handcuffed down the road. By the time Sundin retires at that point, Jagr will retire as well. That's probably 10+ million off the books when that happens, and in the meantime, you have the weapons to go for a cup.

Despite how crazy it sounds, it's one of the more logical solutions, rather than bringing in a combination of Rolston/Malone/Ryder, guys who are not go-to offensive players, and still won't solve the team's offensive woes.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to bring Rolston in as a replacement for Shanahan, but I'd much rather pay 6 mill for Sundin compared to 5 mill for Rolston over a 2 year span.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:40 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I definitely agree with that point.

Signing Sundin as a stop-gap center to stack up for one or two more cup runs would not be a bad idea. However, there are some questions here.

1. He was pretty adamant about not leaving Toronto. He and his family are very happy there, and he loves the organization. Will he summon it up to leave?

2. He had a great year this year playing on a terrible defensive team, and put up world class numbers, 32 goals, 78 points 7 more goals and points than ANYONE on the Rangers. Can he replicate those numbers on this team?

3. Will his age finally catch up to him? It hasn't so far, but we've seen Jagr drop 30 goals and 50 points from his 06 totals.

Can you tell that to everyone else who thinks bringing back Jagr at 2 years 12 million is such a great idea?

Because from what I'm seeing, everyone totally forgot about that part when the name "Jagr" was mentioned.

And why would this team want 2 kleenex-soft, streaky players that don't give a **** about defense?

Those two are the exact opposite of what this team needs, stay far away.

No one is arguing Sundin's effectiveness at this point of his career.

What we're wondering is if he'll be able to keep that up, one year later, one year older.

I think his numbers actually quite remarkable, considering the crap he's played with in Toronto since Gartner, Gilmour, and Thomas left. Berezin, Jonas Hoglund (how many open nets could one player miss?), Antropov (The Carl Pavano of Hockey)... Aside from Steen, Wellwood, and Ponikarovsky (who just started to come around), he hasn't had much offensive talent around him over his stay in Toronto.

Not only that, but Sundin is the consumate two-way center. On top of being tremendously talented offensively, the guy is very smart in his own zone, a great penalty killer, a solid face-off guy, and plays all game situations.

If it came down to overpaying Sundin for 2 years, and overpaying Hossa for 5-6, I definitely overpay Sundin for 2 years so we're not handcuffed down the road. By the time Sundin retires at that point, Jagr will retire as well. That's probably 10+ million off the books when that happens, and in the meantime, you have the weapons to go for a cup.

Despite how crazy it sounds, it's one of the more logical solutions, rather than bringing in a combination of Rolston/Malone/Ryder, guys who are not go-to offensive players, and still won't solve the team's offensive woes.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to bring Rolston in as a replacement for Shanahan, but I'd much rather pay 6 mill for Sundin compared to 5 mill for Rolston over a 2 year span.
Bingo.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

As much as I absolutely hate the idea of bringing Jagr back, the idea of a Sundin-Jagr line is pretty enticing.

It'd be nice to have 13 - 14 mil of cap coming free right in time for Kovalchuk to hit the open market. And God knows we have the depth at center to fill the hole when Sundin's contract would be up.

I gotta say, I'm not entirely opposed to this.

However, I can't see Mats finishing his career anywhere other than Toronto.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
So you'd rather have a group of players that all played well in a contract year, over a guy that has been one of the most consistent players over the past decade. Look what happened with Jason Blake, he had a career year last year and signed a lucrative contract and flopped the year after. With Sundin you know what your going to get, and you won't have to commit long term as Sundin has stated numerous times that he's only interested in signing 1 year contracts.

Anyways it really doesn't matter how much the rangers do decide to offer Sundin, as Sundin wants to end his career has a Maple Leaf.
Huselius and Rolston have been productive their whole career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=1173
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...s?playerId=797

Orpik has always been a solid defenseman.

Yes, i would rather have a bunch of productive guys then a a superstar at the end of his career.

It really doesn't solve any of our needs.

We DO NOT need another #1 center.

We need a scoring winger for Gomez. A scoring winger for Drury. A PP QB. And a shut down Dman.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 05-23-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old
05-23-2008, 10:12 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Huselius is VERY streaky. His numbers are good, but he's either always scorching hot or freezing cold. I've seen him go stretches of 10 or so games without A POINT. Not a goal, but A POINT.

Not only that, but he's not exactly a player that gets the job done by himself. He's definitely a complimentary player. Don't let his numbers this year fool you, he played with Jarome Iginla and Daymond Langkow, a lot.

As much as some might not like it, this team has become a defense first team, and Huselius is the type of player that will ride the pine because of his unwillingness to adhere to that.

Quote:
Orpik has always been a solid defenseman.
Not gonna argue that, as I want him to be a Ranger as well. We've needed a defenseman like that for a while now.

Quote:
Yes, i would rather have a bunch of productive guys then a a superstar at the end of his career.

It really doesn't solve any of our needs.

We DO NOT need another #1 center.
Bringing in Ryder and Huselius won't solve our problems, and are not go-to guys. Rolston, as much as I like his game, is not a guy you bring in to be a top-line, go-to guy either.

Quote:
We need a scoring winger for Gomez. A scoring winger for Drury. A PP QB. And a shut down Dman.
Moving Gomez down a line could be a very good option for us. Having him as a 2nd line center, with someone like Drury and Dubi/Dawes on his wing could be a very good 2nd line.

I agree, we need a pp qb, a shutdown d-man, and some help on the wings. The help on the wings would be solved if they can get Sundin and Jagr in there.

Then the concerns would be...

- Can we get ONE defenseman at that point?

and an even bigger question, if you ask me...

- Can we resign Avery at that point?

If you ask me, first priority is bringing Avery back. He's a lot more important to this team than a lot of people are giving credit for.

I just can't imagine being able to bring Avery and Jagr back, bring in defensive help, and then bring Sundin in. It seems impossible capwise.

Although, I've been wrong about the cap before...

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

If they both sign for 6 mil, it might be doable. But if they ask for more, we'll have some holes next season unless Slats can pull off some ridiculous trades.

I have a feeling that Gomez just isn't destined to be our number one center. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a Kovalchuk - Anisimov - Cherepanov line as our #1 in a year or two.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:45 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
no thanks! 7mil for one overaged player when we can get both Ryder and Huselius for the same price.
Sundin is better than both of those hacks combined.

Get real.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:47 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Also.

The UFA pool this year ****ing blows.

If we can sign Jagr and Sundin for 1 year each, I am all for it. ALL for it. It gives us 1 year to have another shot at the Cup.

Minimal downside if you ask me.

Old
05-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesatoskala View Post
I was reading Andy Strickland's blog from May 9th. The bottom has an interesting blurb:

What do you think?
I think that if it happened, the Devils board would be welcoming a new member.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 12:06 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I think that if it happened, the Devils board would be welcoming a new member.
WHY though?

If it's 1 year deals for both, why not?

****, I mean, why NOT go for the Cup as long as we aren't going to go over the cap or anything?

We might as well sign 'em both for a year and see what happens. If we fall on our faces, who the **** cares? We get a solid draft pick and can move 'em both at the deadline for a plethora of youth and picks.

I'm drunk now, but excuse me if I come off as a dick here. Some of you guys are just ridiculous about signing vets sometimes.

We might as well get them both if we can for a decent price. Do you want Hossa for 15 years at 9M? OR would you rather sign rejects like Huselius and Ryder to try and get some scoring? Those guys won't do jack (outside of Hossa).

Why not sign these guys and go for it? No reason not to, if you ask me.

Sundin would be a welcome addition to the club. Leadership, consistency, etc etc. And he wants to ****ing win a Cup. THAT'S the drive we need. The guy wants to win. He's never won one.

If we can get them for a decent price, do it. Go for the damn Cup.

I'd rather do that then settle for being out of the playoffs or with a bunch of ****** reject signings for a "decent price".

I like you as a poster a lot Shadow. But seriously. Rangers fans are way, way too passive at times about signings.

I mean, I've seen some really ridiculous names tossed around here. I, myself, have done it as well.

But this is really a great idea if he could come at a cost of less than 7M. And with Jagr back or another scorer. ****, sign Sundin and Hossa if you want. I don't care. We need a vet like Sundin to go for the Cup. I was ADAMANT about trading for him last season and I am still now about signing him this offseason. He'd be an incredible addition to our team.

Old
05-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Celestial Black

It would be absolutely terrible and I would flip out. No thanks.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote