HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tyutin

Old
05-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Jay88*

vCash: 500
Tyutin

I did a search and found no individual thread on him. So anyway.

I havent been happy with Tyutin atleast all season. He started off nicely.Playing good solid hockey and using his body alot. As the season went along he seemed to wear out, or just look confused,I dont know.Maybe its just me. Once the playoffs came I was not sold on him at all. he looked horrible out there ( along with Rozsival ) and everytime he was out there I was just nervous. is ay if the right deal cam along to move him . He doesnt do anything special on offense or defense for me to say keep him. He dont seem like he will ever be a top pairing dman. Maybe he hasnt reached full potential yet, but if so what is it.And will he ever hit it.

Certain times I look and watch him adn say the kid can be way better then he is. Other times I say he looks lost and just seems like a player that should be moved in a deal that could bring a better dman in ( Like who? I dont know, its just a thought ).

So wahts your opinion on Tyutin. i know dmen take a while to hit there ceiling and he is still young, I guess maybe another 2 or 3 years he could hit his top and get better. i just dont know if I see that happening. he stands out no where in my mind, his game atleast.Not great on defense or ofense but good enough. Plays physical not steadily enough. If he played more physical I would say thats a start. but he just doesnt seem to stand out anywhere,to me atleast.

this is just my opinion, and im not stating this as a fact.So let loose and say what you like about Tyutin, im curious.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 04:46 PM
hlundqvist30*

Aside from the last few months of the season (including the playoffs) Tyutin has been nothing but positives with the Rangers. Here's the thing though; sometimes it's hard to remember that the guy hasn't even turned 25 yet! He IS still learning. The guy for the most part plays like he's a vet that's been in this league for 12 years. He is only 24, he is signed at a very nice contract, and has done everything right as a Ranger except for 25 or so games during his 5 year span as a Ranger. If he continues to do stupid things? Sure, then we can worry, but every player goes through a phase like he went through. It just so happens that it happened to him at a time where everything is under a magnifying glass. He isn't exactly untouchable in the way you would describe Henrik, Staal, etc. However, I see no reason to trade a 25 year old defenseman signed to a good contract and is a guaranteed 3-4 defenseman for the rest of his career just to shake things up.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 05:08 PM
beastly115

His biggest downside is his horrible shot. One of the forwards will give Toots a nice feed in the slot only to see him rip it wide EVERY TIME! Toots couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. They need to give him shooting lessons BIG TIME.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 05:10 PM
FLYLine24*

Tyutin was fine for 90% of the season. He was the least of our worries on defense on most nights.

Playoffs his play dropped a bit, but like hlundqvist30 said, he is 24....he's got plenty of time to continue to grow into a better, consistent defensemen.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 05:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Disappointed with the season he had, or lack thereof.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
His biggest downside is his horrible shot. One of the forwards will give Toots a nice feed in the slot only to see him rip it wide EVERY TIME! Toots couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. They need to give him shooting lessons BIG TIME.
Not only that but I think he needs to pick up his speed and acceleration a little bit. Tyutin is a little too slow for my liking. More of Marc Staal's speed would be appreciated from the D.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Vitto79

I like Tyutin and so do the rangers as he signed a 3 yr deal

he is still young and is a solid top 4 D man

I say get Danny Markov who he teamed with at the Worlds
on Markov:
Is an above-average skater from the back end. Works hard and loves to dish out punishment. Has the ability to play on the power play.

So that would help on 2 fronts and it would let Girardi go play with Staal on another pairing

from their I would sign a guy like Liles to team with Backman

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

he stopped taking the body after the first 3rd of the year.

i mean, he took the body against the boards, but he didnt throw very many punishing checks like he was doing early in the year.

I think he wore down to be honest.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 08:23 PM
eco's bones

The Girardi-Tyutin combination were fine against the Devils in the playoffs. Not that great against Pittsburgh. The Penguins top players are quite a challenge though. The one defenseman that struggled the most in the playoffs was Backman. Our best d-man was Staal. Tyutin may have faded towards the end but 1. he's still young 2. he skates and moves the puck well even if his shot isn't very accurate 3. he's not shy about hitting opposing players and 4. doesn't make constant trips to the penalty box.

We should keep in mind also that very often d-men drafted in the 2nd rd. take until they're 23-24-25 to become NHL regulars. It's not an easy position to play. Fedor's done pretty good for us all things considering.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Girardi-Tyutin combination were fine against the Devils in the playoffs. Not that great against Pittsburgh. The Penguins top players are quite a challenge though. The one defenseman that struggled the most in the playoffs was Backman. Our best d-man was Staal. Tyutin may have faded towards the end but 1. he's still young 2. he skates and moves the puck well even if his shot isn't very accurate 3. he's not shy about hitting opposing players and 4. doesn't make constant trips to the penalty box.

We should keep in mind also that very often d-men drafted in the 2nd rd. take until they're 23-24-25 to become NHL regulars. It's not an easy position to play. Fedor's done pretty good for us all things considering.
I would tend to agree with this.

The main consensus is that players (especially defenseman), take time to develop.

The impatience of our fans only come into account when talking about Tyutin's ability to play the position. Certainly one thing Sather is not thinking about doing is trading him away at a mere 24 age when he just recently signed him to a good contract.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:33 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Disappointed with the season he had, or lack thereof.
Puzzled by this completely...

Where you expecting him to be a #1 damn aka Pronger or something?

He was a very solid 2nd pairing dman for us. Just what I was expecting from our 24 year old dman, and what I expect for the rest of his NHL career.

Old
05-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Puzzled by this completely...

Where you expecting him to be a #1 damn aka Pronger or something?

He was a very solid 2nd pairing dman for us. Just what I was expecting from our 24 year old dman, and what I expect for the rest of his NHL career.
his play dropped off drastically as the season went along.

at the beginning of the season, he was playing like a first pairing defenseman. by the end of the playoffs, i wanted him in the press box.

Old
05-25-2008, 12:06 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
his play dropped off drastically as the season went along.

at the beginning of the season, he was playing like a first pairing defenseman. by the end of the playoffs, i wanted him in the press box.
C'on now...he wasnt that bad.

Sure, I agree his play dropped off...but not enough to be a healthy scratch like a Purinton in previous years.

You said it...he played like a top 2 earlier in the season..he's young...he will learn..this should be a great learning experience for him. If he was in the press box he would have learned nothing.

Old
05-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
C'on now...he wasnt that bad.

Sure, I agree his play dropped off...but not enough to be a healthy scratch like a Purinton in previous years.

You said it...he played like a top 2 earlier in the season..he's young...he will learn..this should be a great learning experience for him. If he was in the press box he would have learned nothing.
no, i really thought he was that bad in the playoffs. it seemed like the kid either wore down, wilted under the pressure, or some combination of the 2. Methinks its more about him being worn down though. But thats 2 consecutive years where he has looked terrible in the playoffs.

Old
05-25-2008, 12:16 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
no, i really thought he was that bad in the playoffs. it seemed like the kid either wore down, wilted under the pressure, or some combination of the 2. Methinks its more about him being worn down though. But thats 2 consecutive years where he has looked terrible in the playoffs.
Fair enough..

I dunno..I think he's just taking a bit longer to adapt to playoff hockey and what it means to win the cup.

Im not ready to give up on him yet at all like some are at the board...he has so much potential to still be be a great #3 dman for us...and I am not even close in ready to give up on him yet.

Old
05-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Fair enough..

I dunno..I think he's just taking a bit longer to adapt to playoff hockey and what it means to win the cup.

Im not ready to give up on him yet at all like some are at the board...he has so much potential to still be be a great #3 dman for us...and I am not even close in ready to give up on him yet.
give up on him? absolutely not. but if we have a chance to improve the team using him as a chip, im all for it.

Old
05-25-2008, 12:33 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
give up on him? absolutely not. but if we have a chance to improve the team using him as a chip, im all for it.
Agreed, but at the same time this doesn't need to be an Aaron Ward situation where we trade him just to shake the roster up. If it gives us a clear upgrade, then fine, but otherwise there is no reason not stick with him. Flyline's point is that a lot of people here want to trade Tyutin not primarily because we get closer to the Cup but because of how he is as a player. There's a difference.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Agreed, but at the same time this doesn't need to be an Aaron Ward situation where we trade him just to shake the roster up. If it gives us a clear upgrade, then fine, but otherwise there is no reason not stick with him. Flyline's point is that a lot of people here want to trade Tyutin not primarily because we get closer to the Cup but because of how he is as a player. There's a difference.
agreed.