HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn won't leave!!!

Old
05-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Pascal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not just about money, the NHL is the best league in the world, and it's 100 times safer in Montreal than in Kazan, Russia. The mafia is very strong in russia right now, so being there with a big contract makes you either a member or a target.
Mafia, aka the goverment?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:09 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
There are no taxes in Russia?
I don't know what the tax system is in Russia, but I do know that players in the former Russian League and the Continental league are not taxed on their earnings.

If you sign a $4 million deal in the CHL, you pocket the full four million.

That's why if he were to be offered that kind of money the Canadiens couldn't possibly match. They would need to give him in the range of a $7 million NHL salary just to match dollars.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I don't know what the tax system is in Russia, but I do know that players in the former Russian League and the Continental league are not taxed on their earnings.

That's why if he were to be offered that kind of money the Canadiens couldn't possibly match. They would need to give him in the range of a $7 million NHL salary just to match dollars.
Does the Russian Mafia really exist though? How much of that 4 million will have to be paid out as insurance, or protection for him and his family living and earning that type of money in Russia.

Bure and other Russian NHLers reported problems with them back in the late 90s....
Do they still exist today?? We don't know.... and nobody is talking??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:19 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:

That is indeed strange. Does anyone in that country pay taxes? And if not, how is the business of government financed, not to mention public works, etc..

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Rayne*

Great to hear about Kosty!

I'm not sold on us wanting Hossa (I heard the Habs were very interested in him today on CBC's hotstove during the Wings/Pens game), since the majority of our core is RFA or UFA after next season.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Does the Russian Mafia really exist though? How much of that 4 million will have to be paid out as insurance, or protection for him and his family living and earning that type of money in Russia.

Bure and other Russian NHLers reported problems with them back in the late 90s....
Do they still exist today?? We don't know.... and nobody is talking??
According to all of the Russians I was skating with as recently as two years ago, the Russian mob definitely does exist. I don't know to what extent they go after regular people, or how famous you would have to be to have issues with them, but they're real and they're scary.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I think that this article is nothing more but for Meehan to diffuse any type of threat that this rumor may have started and tell the Habs management that they were not part of it. There's no need, in order for Andrei to cash it in nicely, to start a war with the Habs right off the bat.

Now, if the negotiations doensn't go accordingly, wouldn't be surprise to see that rumor pop up again.

I would love to believe that it is case, and it may probably well be, but I have more the tendancy to believe that it's Meehan at his best working for his client.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that this article is nothing more but for Meehan to diffuse any type of threat that this rumor may have started and tell the Habs management that they were not part of it. There's no need, in order for Andrei to cash it in nicely, to start a war with the Habs right off the bat.

Now, if the negotiations doensn't go accordingly, wouldn't be surprise to see that rumor pop up again.

I would love to believe that it is case, and it may probably well be, but I have more the tendancy to believe that it's Meehan at his best working for his client.
I think you are bang on....

Meehan is one of the best agents out there in the hockey world.... I don't think he'd do anything that he feels would cost his client (or himself) money. He's obviously discussed a strategy with Andrei.... Andrei wants to stay and they know Bob Gainey is a fair GM, there is no need to start a war of words in the media and create resentment. I'm sure they will a get a deal done that is agreeable for both sides.

Old
05-25-2008, 11:53 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Meehan is one of the best agents out there in the hockey world.... I don't think he'd do anything that he feels would cost his client (or himself) money. He's obviously discussed a strategy with Andrei.... Andrei wants to stay and they know Bob Gainey is a fair GM, there is no need to start a war of words in the media and create resentment. I'm sure they will a get a deal done that is agreeable for both sides.
Absolutely bang on...I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate when players and agents use the media to do their bargaining, or whining or whatever...this would definitely not work with BG, and that being said, it's definitely not Gainey's style to ever use the media to get his message across to a player or agent. On a lighter note, I don't think anyone could win a war of words with BG, since he barely speaks, he would probably just give you the stare down...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:55 AM
coolasprICE

ladies,

the russian league is for real, and will be the biggest threat the NHL has ever experienced competition-wise. Let's not be in denial now.

Yes, there are reasons to select an NHL club vs a Russian club.

A) Quality of life is better in North America
B) Brighter "spot light"
C) Weather - well not in Montreal!
D) Can't think of any, but safety , lower crime etc.. falls under option A

However, the NHL has a system that usually entitles players to become super wealthy (if they are deserving) during their prime years - 27 to 32.

This is where the NHL is going to get KILLED. Why?

A) Because Money talks. If you're 22, and are offered extreme wealth, are you willing to risk not taking it? Injury is a big risk, and when you can get paid, YOU TAKE IT! . PERIOD. Nobody can predict fully that Andrei will be worth 6 mil in 3 years, one bad hit...

B) Russian business mentality is a lot more aggressive and less prudent. It's in their mentality to be the best by paying the most! And believe me, there's A LOT of $$$$ over there.

C) For Russian players, or players from the former Soviet states, it's a lot closer to home. And, the entire region , from Ukraine, Latvia to Russia is in development - therefore, increasing quality of life.

D) Less taxes! 4 million in Montreal = 2 Million after taxes! Plus, falling American dollar. What happens when 4 million U.S = 3 Canadian? therefore, real money to play with for Canadian team players paying Canadian taxes and Canadian rent, real estate, cars etc..will be approx 1.5 Million! Put that against the potential contract of 4 Million U.S virtually tax free in russia, that's a huge discount!

Get use to the risks, the only way for the NHL to survive is if owners play with the same aggression as their Russian counterparts. And by survive, I mean to avoid the risks of losing X percent of the talent pool the NHL has been so accustomed to possessing for so many years.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
ladies,

the russian league is for real, and will be the biggest threat the NHL has ever experienced competition-wise. Let's not be in denial now.

Yes, there are reasons to select an NHL club vs a Russian club.

A) Quality of life is better in North America
B) Brighter "spot light"
C) Weather - well not in Montreal!
D) Can't think of any, but safety , lower crime etc.. falls under option A

However, the NHL has a system that usually entitles players to become super wealthy (if they are deserving) during their prime years - 27 to 32.

This is where the NHL is going to get KILLED. Why?
Will some players leave?? probably, but get killed... I don't think so.... and I'll explain to you why.

Quote:
A) Because Money talks. If you're 22, and are offered extreme wealth, are you willing to risk not taking it? Injury is a big risk, and when you can get paid, YOU TAKE IT! . PERIOD. Nobody can predict fully that Andrei will be worth 6 mil in 3 years, one bad hit...
First off we aren't comparing 2 million vs 4 million.... Andrei will get at least 3.5mill on a one year deal to stay in Montreal... If Ryder was worth 3 million this past season, with the rising cap, Andrei is worth 3.5. Also what makes you think Andrei Kostitsyn, would get more in Russia than Alexei Yashin is getting?? and what makes you think he would get nearly as much as Morozov, the highest paid player in Russia. There is a cap in Russia too and while Andrei is enticing to them, i don't think he'll be enticing enough to make him a top 3 paid player in their entire league.
Also some players may take the gamble.... lose a few hundred thousand now to make many millions more later.... Some players may think the way you do, but to think all will is foolish. Andrei could be an 8million dollar/year guy or even more in the NHL down the road if he continues to develop and the cap continues to rise. He could very well be as good as Hossa by the time he reaches UFA. If he stays in the NHL this type of salary is possible... if he goes to Russia and then tries to come back later after his game has developped more, hes not gonna get that much. Its a pay me now vs pay me later argument, and your right that some players will look at the injury risks and take the money now... but not all. There always is the "that won't happen to me" factor in player's heads, its part of humanity as a whole, and in many top athletes that will win out.

Quote:
B) Russian business mentality is a lot more aggressive and less prudent. It's in their mentality to be the best by paying the most! And believe me, there's A LOT of $$$$ over there.
I'll grant you this, there is a lot of money over there... but its in oil.... its not in the common ticket buying fan... Will those owners continually spend their profits made in other business at a level that is not sustainable in hockey?? Sure some will, but I have my doubts that they all will; and that they will do it on a long term basis. Taking from one hand to feed the other is not a smart or sustainable business model.

Quote:
C) For Russian players, or players from the former Soviet states, it's a lot closer to home. And, the entire region , from Ukraine, Latvia to Russia is in development - therefore, increasing quality of life.
Is Kazan really that close to Belarus..... when you have to make a 6 hour flight to fly home, or a 16 hour flight to fly home is it really that big a difference... Especially when you have money... your wife and children are living with you at that place 16 hours away... you are happy in that farther away city.... it is already developped.... the health care is better and you have a condition (epilipsey that wasn't cured until you got there, despite the fact that you had a big money russian team behind you and the supposed best doctors in Russia treating you).... your brother is on the team... etc. There are many factors for Andrei that will negate this closer to home thing. Unless its within an hour or two drive of your home town, are you really that much closer to home??

Quote:
D) Less taxes! 4 million in Montreal = 2 Million after taxes! Plus, falling American dollar. What happens when 4 million U.S = 3 Canadian? therefore, real money to play with for Canadian team players paying Canadian taxes and Canadian rent, real estate, cars etc..will be approx 1.5 Million! Put that against the potential contract of 4 Million U.S virtually tax free in russia, that's a huge discount!
Direct taxes yes.... but what about the indirect taxes.... the protection money you have to pay to the Russian Mafia.... If you don't think that is going on, well then you are in denial.

Quote:
Get use to the risks, the only way for the NHL to survive is if owners play with the same aggression as their Russian counterparts.
The NHL is still the best, most recognized league in the world... .Why do you think Andrei and Sergei came here and played for the Bulldogs and Knights for 2 years each respectively. They are competitors and they want to compete against the best.... I'm sorry but any athlete who doesn't want to compete against the best, is probably the type of player I don't want on my team anyways.

Old
05-25-2008, 12:45 PM
coolasprICE

Beaker, with all do respect (and I do appreciate your comments), you're overlooking a few important things...

If you are from Ukraine, Belarus, etc.. the assimilation process to moving to North America is a lot greater than it would be in moving to countries that have historical ties to the former soviet union. There's a common thread in mentality , languages, and ways of life (grant it , varying, no 2 countries are the same).

As for Mafia, what distincts wealth whether it was made in Russia, Belarus or abroad? Mafia holds no boundaries when it comes to taking their portion. The only way out of it, is to avoid all ties in their native regions. If Andrei K decides to go home for the 6 months he's not playing in Montreal, he's just as exposed to such risks.

Furthermore, sustainable business models is not of the interest to business owners who's net worth may be in the hundreds millions plus. And there's nothing to say that their other businesses will suffer. What's 10 million dollars less per year when you make 20 + times that? It's called fun, and wealthy Russian's love their games.

Furthermore again, I'm not well researched on the cap situation over there, but we can't assume it's going to stay that low and not increase in time. Nor am I familiar with revenue streams and levels that those teams have - are Private boxes being sold at ridiculous rates?

And lastly, Russia is not Saudi Arabia. Yes there are many poor and less rich, but there is A LOT of rich. And it's not just oil amigo! Perhaps oil was the engine, but as a society, they are very keen on getting their hands into profitable businesses in all forms and colors.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Uwey

Quote:

Meehan is one of the best agents out there in the hockey world....
WHAT???

Remember the Theodore deal.

Meehan single handely held the a gun to the Habs head to sign Theodore to richer contract than what Marty Brodeur was getting at the time. Infact IMO, he is one of the worst agents in the league to deal with.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:58 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
WHAT???

Meehan single handely held the a gun to the Habs head to sign Theodore to richer contract than what Marty Brodeur was getting at the time. Infact IMO, he is one of the worst agents in the league to deal with.
No one dislikes agents especially Meehan more than I, they are like a bad spreading cancer, but in that case, Meehan was just doing the best job he could for his client/clients...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Get use to the risks, the only way for the NHL to survive is if owners play with the same aggression as their Russian counterparts. And by survive, I mean to avoid the risks of losing X percent of the talent pool the NHL has been so accustomed to possessing for so many years.
I suggest you guys read this thread about the KHL before freaking out. The league needs to become profitable first. There have been many attempts of leagues to compete with the NHL and all of them have failed so far.. I don't see why the KHL would suddenly be a major success.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=503664

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Beaker, with all do respect (and I do appreciate your comments), you're overlooking a few important things...

If you are from Ukraine, Belarus, etc.. the assimilation process to moving to North America is a lot greater than it would be in moving to countries that have historical ties to the former soviet union. There's a common thread in mentality , languages, and ways of life (grant it , varying, no 2 countries are the same).
While true, this more effects a player when they are first coming over and is a reason why we are seeing Russians fall at the draft table.... See Cherapanov last year.... or Valentenko in our year. Part of it is the transfer agreement, but rumblings of this league, and the inability to bring players over (Korneev and Buturlin and two Montreal Draftee examples, though I still hold some hope with Korneev), are causing players to fall..... Once a player is settled in North America and has made the cultural Adjustments.... Andrei and Sergei have both played here for 3 years now, the assimilation factor is now longer as large.

Quote:
As for Mafia, what distincts wealth whether it was made in Russia, Belarus or abroad? Mafia holds no boundaries when it comes to taking their portion. The only way out of it, is to avoid all ties in their native regions. If Andrei K decides to go home for the 6 months he's not playing in Montreal, he's just as exposed to such risks.
There is a difference in the access they have from city to city.... I would think that in major cities the mafia is more entrenched... more police officers have been paid off, there is a constant presence in a place like Moscow or Kazan, or other major cities.... Andrei going back to a small hometown in Belarus is more isolated, his family is apparently a pillar in his local community... Family, friends, neighbours, and your own friends as part of a police force can have an insulating effect in those periods when he is at home.... Also he's never home for six months at a time..... Montreal's playoffs ended in the middle of May... He went to play for team Belarus at the World Championships (hes a virtual lock for that team for the next 15 years, whenever the habs or whatever team he is on doesn't go far in the playoffs); training camp is in September... there are other events he will be responsible to attend during the summer months... He is reportedly moving his family to Montreal in June or July... Hockey is a year round job now... spending 6 straight months in Belarus just isn't gonna happen.

Quote:
Furthermore, sustainable business models is not of the interest to business owners who's net worth may be in the hundreds millions plus. And there's nothing to say that their other businesses will suffer. What's 10 million dollars less per year when you make 20 + times that? It's called fun, and wealthy Russian's love their games.

Furthermore again, I'm not well researched on the cap situation over there, but we can't assume it's going to stay that low and not increase in time. Nor am I familiar with revenue streams and levels that those teams have - are Private boxes being sold at ridiculous rates?
Some teams will do this sure, but will every team.... the salary cap is in place to avoid this happening... not every team will be able to spend at that level and if their league is not competitive what good is it. They will have 4 or 5 teams spending at those insane levels... Once those teams have their top 6 superstars how many more can they take??

Quote:
And lastly, Russia is not Saudi Arabia. Yes there are many poor and less rich, but there is A LOT of rich. And it's not just oil amigo! Perhaps oil was the engine, but as a society, they are very keen on getting their hands into profitable businesses in all forms and colors.
There are many rich businessmen in North America too... not every one chooses to use sports teams as their personal toys.... sure some do, but again there will be limiting factors in Russia, and the number of Uber-wealthy able to do this with Hockey teams is not that high. Soccer is also a popular sport there, and that will be the plaything of some of these owners too.

Old
05-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Uwey

Meehan was also involved in the Peca holdout as well.

Knowing Meehan, he was probably behind the rumour that started about Andrei possiblly get an offer from the RSL, just for some extra leverage on Gainey.

Old
05-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
WHAT???

Being a good agent is about getting the most money possible for your client....

This is what I want to do one day with my law degree.

You are not responsible to the team, to the fans, or anyone like that... its all about getting the most money for your client. You can use any means necessary to do so... sometimes holding a gun to the GM's head is the best strategy.... Sometimes the agreeable approach is best.... it all depends on who you are representing.... their interests.... the team you are negotiating with.... their situation (age, UFA/RFA, icetime, where do they want to play, etc...) and many other factors.

Hate Meehan and Agents all you want, call them slimeballs or the devil or whatever.

But Meehan is doing a job, and its one that he is very, very, good at. You can't deny that he is one of the best agents out there, and if I was an NHL player hes one of the guys I'd want to talk to and consider before making a decision on who would represent me.

The owners are getting their cut... the agents are there to make sure the players are getting their fair share too.... After all its the players the fans pay to see. Guys like Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Doug Harvey, etc were taken advantage of their whole careers... they made peanuts while the owners at the time were filling their pockets. Today we are at 55% of league revenues going to players, thats a good thing in my mind.

Remember demand for tickets and what fans are willing to pay to see the players is what drives ticket prices... not player salaries. If all player salaries were reduced to a flat rate 100,000 per year each tomorrow, ticket prices in Montreal would not drop.... they would still sell out, and there would still be tremendous lineups.... Mr. Gillett would just pocket more cash.

Old
05-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
If Kostitsyn does choose Russia, I won't mind. I like him, but I'm still not totally sold on how he can perform without excellent linemates. I wasn't a big fan of his post-season either. I'd like him to stay though, he's the one who can replace Kovalev eventually.

Quote:
Being a good agent is about getting the most money possible for your client....

This is what I want to do one day with my law degree.

You are not responsible to the team, to the fans, or anyone like that... its all about getting the most money for your client. You can use any means necessary to do so... sometimes holding a gun to the GM's head is the best strategy.... Sometimes the agreeable approach is best.... it all depends on who you are representing.... their interests.... the team you are negotiating with.... their situation (age, UFA/RFA, icetime, where do they want to play, etc...) and many other factors.

Hate Meehan and Agents all you want, call them slimeballs or the devil or whatever.

But Meehan is doing a job, and its one that he is very, very, good at. You can't deny that he is one of the best agents out there, and if I was an NHL player hes one of the guys I'd want to talk to and consider before making a decision on who would represent me.

The owners are getting their cut... the agents are there to make sure the players are getting their fair share too.... After all its the players the fans pay to see. Guys like Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Doug Harvey, etc were taken advantage of their whole careers... they made peanuts while the owners at the time were filling their pockets. Today we are at 55% of league revenues going to players, thats a good thing in my mind.

Remember demand for tickets and what fans are willing to pay to see the players is what drives ticket prices... not player salaries. If all player salaries were reduced to a flat rate 100,000 per year each tomorrow, ticket prices in Montreal would not drop.... they would still sell out, and there would still be tremendous lineups.... Mr. Gillett would just pocket more cash.

Agents should charge by the hour(like Brian Burke), not by percentage(like Don Meehan). That way, agents would look out for the players interest, like they should, instead of their own, like they are.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:00 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
That is indeed strange. Does anyone in that country pay taxes? And if not, how is the business of government financed, not to mention public works, etc..
That's a good point. I'm sure that a lot of industry is still state-owned so if they can get a few dollars profit from that, it helps with public works and policing and the like. Speaking of policing, if you are wealthy and have nice things in Moscow, you hire private security. While some players are making a lot of money, team operations are way less than NHL level. A recent THN article on Yashin's experience in Russia this year paints a mixed picture. He states that he has liked the experience but the article tells about the less than luxurious bus rides in the wilds of Russia he takes for road games. Not surprisingly he is looking for an NHL team to skate for next season.

In general, aside from a few government bureaucrats and mid-level entrepreneurs filling what we would call the middle class, it is very much a two class system in Russia. I'd be interested in knowing how much marketing endorsement potential there are for star hockey players. It's the middle class that feeds the NHL and marketing coffers not the uber-wealthy who might only invest in luxury arena boxes for schmoozing and tax purposes.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
That's a good point. I'm sure that a lot of industry is still state-owned so if they can get a few dollars profit from that, it helps with public works and policing and the like. Speaking of policing, if you are wealthy and have nice things in Moscow, you hire private security. While some players are making a lot of money, team operations are way less than NHL level. A recent THN article on Yashin's experience in Russia this year paints a mixed picture. He states that he has liked the experience but the article tells about the less than luxurious bus rides in the wilds of Russia he takes for road games. Not surprisingly he is looking for an NHL team to skate for next season.
That private security takes money out of your pocket too, and what is the cost of living in fear?? Even if you don't pay the mafia directly, you have to pay someone. This money is not as tax free as many claim... this indirect tax can be quite large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
In general, aside from a few government bureaucrats and mid-level entrepreneurs filling what we would call the middle class, it is very much a two class system in Russia. I'd be interested in knowing how much marketing endorsement potential there are for star hockey players. It's the middle class that feeds the NHL and marketing coffers not the uber-wealthy who might only invest in luxury arena boxes for schmoozing and tax purposes.
Thats another factor to consider especially when your talking about a guy with the potential to be a big time star and he's playing in a big time hockey market like Montreal. I'm sure he sees the endorsements that guys like Kovalev are getting.

Old
05-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Uwey

Well, if Meehan lands an excellent deal for Andrei in either Europe or another NHL team, I for one won't be congratulating Meehan on a job well done.

The fact is, the more an agent gets for his client the more he puts in his own pocket, so there other factors involved in trying to break the bank. Marty Brodeur has never used an agent to my knowledge & does quite well. Ovechkin give Meehan the boot last year as well before signing his new contract, if I remember correctly, he was dragging his feet in getting a deal done. It's looks like OV did quite well also.

BTW, agents are a necessary evil. Don Meehan is the type of agent who could care less about helping a team manage it's assets, always looking to break the bank.

Old
05-25-2008, 04:36 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Well, if Meehan lands an excellent deal for Andrei in either Europe or another NHL team, I for one won't be congratulating Meehan on a job well done.

The fact is, the more an agent gets for his client the more he puts in his own pocket, so there other factors involved in trying to break the bank. Marty Brodeur has never used an agent to my knowledge & does quite well. Ovechkin give Meehan the boot last year as well before signing his new contract, if I remember correctly, he was dragging his feet in getting a deal done. It's looks like OV did quite well also.

BTW, agents are a necessary evil. Don Meehan is the type of agent who could care less about helping a team manage it's assets, always looking to break the bank.
Meehan being his agent is the best news out of all this. He's known as being a pretty honest guy and is said to have a good relationship with Gainey. He and Gainey worked well together on the Markov deal and there's no reason to think they can't again. There are agents that GM's cringe when they hear trheir name, but I don't believe Meehan's one of them.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Uwey

I hope like heck you guys are more correct about Meehan than I am, but after watching him in action the past 15 or so years, I'm not convinced he is that honest.

Old
05-25-2008, 05:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Russia has a 13% tax system.

When Perezhogin left for the RSL, I said I wouldn't be surprised to see more players leave for Russia, as their economy has really turned around. I think we could lose both Kostitsyn's, and it doesn't matter if they are under contract or not. That said, I follow the RSL and have for years, I don't believe for one second that AK Bars would offer Kostitsyn 4M a year, making him one of the highest paid players in the league. I could easily see them making him an offer, but 4M seems like a very big number, yes I know that AK Bars has one of the richest owners in the league and I've heard that AK Bars is known for treating their players really well but I would be shocked if it was a 4M a year offer. Guess we'll see what happens.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote