HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect depth

Old
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Prospect depth

I changed the depth chart on my site for now, until I figure out a better format and how to make it look better.

here's an article I wrote on our prospect depth at my site shows how bad of shape we are in with our goalies and there's concern at the forward position as well with our defense being our big strength especially RD, nothing new of course.

It was a banner season for the Montreal Canadiens that saw them finish first overall in the Eastern Conference, something that they have failed to do for the last fifteen years. In addition to the success is the fact that the team had three twenty year old players on the team, also something not seen in a long time. But with several players moving up to the NHL full time, it has exposed a lack of depth in the farm system among forwards and goaltenders.

When you have one of the top young goalies in the NHL you certainly canít complain about the teamís future, and even more so when you add one of the top goalies in the AHL in Jaroslav Halak. The problem the Canadiens now face is that they currently only have one goalie under contract for the farm system in Loic Lacasse, who had his struggles in the IHL this year. The team would likely sign Cedrick Desjardins after spending the last two seasons as one of the top goalies in the ECHL while signed to an AHL contract, where he would hold down one spot in nets for the Bulldogs. Itís unknown what the plans are for Yann Danis who will be a Group VI UFA this summer and has struggled in Hamilton the past two years, losing his starting job to both Halak and Carey Price, after being a standout goalie in the NCAA and a former AHL All Star.

In addition to goaltending, there are concerns at the forward position since the club has seen an influx of young talent moved up to the NHL full time in the likes of the Kostitsyn brothers, Guillaume Latendresse, Maxim Lapierre, as well as others like Mikhail Grabovski and Kyle Chipchura getting their feet wet in the NHL this year. That leaves Max Pacioretty, Ben Maxwell, Ryan White and Matt DíAgostini as the teamís top forward prospects, with others like JT Wyman, Greg Stewart and Andrew Conboy showing some potential.

The good news remains on defense, where the organization was once know for itís abundance of forward prospects, itís now known for both quality and quantity with Ryan McDonagh, Ryan OíByrne and PK Subban at the top of the list with Pavel Valentenko, David Fischer, Yannick Weber and Mathieu Carle giving the Habs a good mix of offensive and defensive defensemen, bringing both skill and impressive physical abilities. On top of that they have two impressive defensemen in Russia in Alexei Emelin and Konstantin Korneev, although itís unknown if either will ever suite up in North America.

If thatís not enough, the team also has a pair of dark horse prospects currently in the NCAA in Philippe Paquet and Joe Stejskal, both known for their physical play and both have benefited from quality ice time, playing on the top pairings at a young age right out of the USHS. Thereís also an unknown in Nichlas Torp who missed the entire season this year with a shoulder injury that he obtained during the pre-season with HV71 of the Swedish Elite league. It will be interesting to see how his development has been impacted from the injury and missed time, but he was highly rated by the CSB going into the draft last summer.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
GNick42

I knew it would not be long before Konstantin Korneev be back in a prospect depth charts

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
where would we be without you montreal?

thanks for all the great work u do with our prospects

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I knew it would not be long before Konstantin Korneev be back in a prospect depth charts
What do you mean? He was always in the Habs organization. I personally never created a profile for him as I never thought he would come over and still have major doubts that we will ever see him. I have always wondered why we never hear a word about him in the media, there was talk about Emelin, Valentenko, etc... but never anything on Korneev from the Habs or the major media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
where would we be without you montreal?

thanks for all the great work u do with our prospects

Thanks, glad you like to read the articles.

Old
05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Maximus Taylor

Thanks Montrťal. Very good read as usual and very much appreciated.

Quick question...How do you think that compares to other teams now?

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 05:51 PM
GNick42

For about two years Korneev was written off....now he is one of our top prospects again.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob De Funes View Post
Thanks Montrťal. Very good read as usual and very much appreciated.

Quick question...How do you think that compares to other teams now?
Thanks. I don't follow other teams so much, so it's hard to say but I would think that we don't compare too well with other teams right now, due to so many graduated players, but we'll see what happens at the draft. Guys like Pacioretty, Subban, Weber had big years and look impressive. McDonagh is a solid prospect but hasn't made a name for himself just yet as it's a big step to go from USHS to the WCHA, so hopefully next year or two he starts to breakout. Chipchura is another solid prospect that you know what you can get from him but he's not flashy and likely doesn't have top two line scoring upside imo, so he won't get a lot of attention or credit until people see what he can do in the nhl over the next few years.

Personally I dont many Hab fans will care, as the hope is that the team is good for a long time due to guys like Price, Kostitsyn's, Plek's, Komo, etc... and guys like Pacioretty not far behind.

Quote:
For about two years Korneev was written off....now he is one of our top prospects again.
Well Korneev never was one of our top prospects and still isn't imo. Two years ago he was struggling with injuries and a lack of ice time, so it's understable that he was written off. After 6 years in the RSL, I personally don't see how he can be considered a prospect, he's got skills for sure, look at the season he had with the Soviet Wings in the teams final season before being regulated, that was as an 18 year old where he saw time on the top pairing.

It would be cool to see him come over at some point, to see what he can do. We are loaded with RD's though so we'll have to see what happens.

Old
05-23-2008, 12:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
So goaler looks very good.

Defense looks even better.

And we had the best offense in the league this year.

May be oenen or two new guys will be so good that we will have trade material with our defensemen. Also there is UFA.

Things looks good for now! I am just afraid of Pens....

Thanks Montreal. BTW, I am in Nassau now but I still have my home/apt in Montreal... Just working here in 34C..
Well it depends on how you look at it, some would say our goaltending looks very good because we have two top goalie prospects/young goalie, but others would say it's bad cause as of now Loic Lacasse is our 3rd string goalie. Of course Gainey will addresse this and Desjardins would be one of the goalies I would assume will be signed, that still leaves us very weak in terms of depth if one of Price/Halak get injured. So one would expect Gainey to bring in a goalie this summer or two, as he could sign a good vet for Hamilton and a overage CHLer or NCAA free agent to go to Cincy of the ECHL to give us better depth, then Timmins could draft a goalie either this year or next to help bloster our depth in nets cause we surely need it.

Old
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well it depends on how you look at it, some would say our goaltending looks very good because we have two top goalie prospects/young goalie, but others would say it's bad cause as of now Loic Lacasse is our 3rd string goalie. Of course Gainey will addresse this and Desjardins would be one of the goalies I would assume will be signed, that still leaves us very weak in terms of depth if one of Price/Halak get injured. So one would expect Gainey to bring in a goalie this summer or two, as he could sign a good vet for Hamilton and a overage CHLer or NCAA free agent to go to Cincy of the ECHL to give us better depth, then Timmins could draft a goalie either this year or next to help bloster our depth in nets cause we surely need it.
I wouldn't mind Murphy as a later round pick.... He seems to have the reflexes and the ability in big games.... Melanson can refine his technique.

Technique issues worry me a lot less than quickness issues and dealing with pressure.... Technique is the easiest to learn of the three.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I wouldn't mind Murphy as a later round pick.... He seems to have the reflexes and the ability in big games.... Melanson can refine his technique.

Technique issues worry me a lot less than quickness issues and dealing with pressure.... Technique is the easiest to learn of the three.
I don't think I would pick him but then again who cares what I would do. I fully trust Timmins and his staff, so whoever they draft I'll look forward to following their progress/development. I would like us to get Delmas but no clue if Timmins likes him or not or if we would even have a shot at him outside of the 1st round.

Old
05-23-2008, 09:05 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Who is that on your avatar? Wow

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 03:23 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
it's me

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 03:26 AM
peperebougon*

Question for the OP... What is gonna happen (or happened) to that Loverock guy??? He seemed pretty good... Why did they not sign him??? We need goalies...

Old
05-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

I suppose most fans feel frustrated that the Habs don't have center prospects on the same level as Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. I'd rather not have the Habs sink so low that they have the 1st or 2nd overall pick for 3 drafts in a row. Gainey will have to improve the average quality of the team. In a very few years the Habs will be able to boast of having a better and deeper defense than the Penguins, and that means something. They also won't be paying astronomical salaries for a handful of players. It won't be long before the Penguins are minus Hossa, Sykora, and Malone.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Garnet

maxwell

I would like to know what people think about ben maxwell? Is this guy a quality top two center if he stays healthy? He's went pretty deep in past training camps! I wonder how far away he is from the habs?

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I suppose most fans feel frustrated that the Habs don't have center prospects on the same level as Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. I'd rather not have the Habs sink so low that they have the 1st or 2nd overall pick for 3 drafts in a row. Gainey will have to improve the average quality of the team. In a very few years the Habs will be able to boast of having a better and deeper defense than the Penguins, and that means something. They also won't be paying astronomical salaries for a handful of players. It won't be long before the Penguins are minus Hossa, Sykora, and Malone.
Picking up a Zettergberg or a Datsyuk or another Saku would be sweet.

Old
05-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
I would like to know what people think about ben maxwell? Is this guy a quality top two center if he stays healthy? He's went pretty deep in past training camps! I wonder how far away he is from the habs?
I could be mistaken but I wouldn't expect to see him in NHL All-Star games. The Messiah isn't here yet.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:40 AM
peperebougon*

Anybody can give me some info on loverock??

Old
05-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Hes a tough guy to get a read on because he has been hurt much of the last two years.... He has offensive potential but there are big injury question marks, and development question marks due to all the time he spent on the sidelines. The injuries seem more of the "freak" variety, especially this last one with the calcification in his calf, so they don't worry me as much as say a torn ACL/MCL would. However we still need to know how this time outside the game affected his development, did other players pass him by?? He came back strong, so I also don't think its a big concern.

I'm hopeful Maxwell can develop into a second line centre, but we'll know more after seeing him in Hamilton this year.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Hint: Elliott Spitzer

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:49 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Hint: Elliott Spitzer
I knew she was expensive

Ive seen Maxwell play live 5 times. He was always the best player on the ice. He may not have the size to be a great 2 way player but he has the smarts. He may only play at 200
It is very difficult to project how a player will develop but his skills are easily at a Mike Green level but he doesnt have that attacking sense of urgency that a e.g. Wendel Clark had. His skating, smarts and passing are already NHL level. If comparisons work he is similar to a Pleks but maybe a better passer (playmaking and transition game). If I have any complaints it would be he hangs back too much but that may change if he was playing with a player eg titts 1 who can do something once he receives a pass.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-25-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old
05-25-2008, 03:51 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I like his offensive skils and speed but he plays a passive style, it will be very interesting to see how he adapts to the pros, can't wait to see him in Hamilton next year. I would guess that he will need a good bit of time in the ahl before moving up to the nhl, as he's missed about a full year in the last two years, so his development could take a little longer but until we see how he handles the bigger/stronger players, it's nothing but a guess as to how long it will take him to reach the nhl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Question for the OP... What is gonna happen (or happened) to that Loverock guy??? He seemed pretty good... Why did they not sign him??? We need goalies...
I'm guessing they saw something they didn't like, no need to sign a goalie just to sign one, they need to find someone that they think has good upside.

Old
05-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
There is a good reason why your site on my bookmarks. Nice read as usual.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Corey

Maxwell doesn't sound like the kind of player who could become an NHL playoff hero. Am I right?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Melvin Udall

[QUOTE=montreal;14184546]I changed the depth chart on my site for now, until I figure out a better format and how to make it look better.

our prospect depth at my site shows how bad of shape we are in with our goalies and there's concern at the forward position as well with our defense being our big strength especially RD, nothing new of course.

Motreal, thanks for the updates.

To me at least, looks like Gainey is rebuilding the Habs "from the back-end" (i.e. from the goal/defense outward).

Regarding forwards -- you spoke "generally" (which is OK).

As a fan, my biggest concern, not only on the farm team (i.e. player development) but also for the near future is the Habs centre ice position.

Koivu, to me, is by far Habs best centre -- when he slows down or retires I see no prospects in the organization who could come close to filling his spot (in terms of equal or similar skill)!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote