HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Youre not going to like this....

Old
05-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Bro, you constantly gripe about the Gomez and Drury contracts(which is fine because you are probably right about them)...but I find wanting to acquire this disgustingly overpaid d-man kind of hypocritical. Would you really want this pylon for over 5 mil? I know he has a cannon but atleast Rozsival can skate.
Souray is one injury riddled year away from a 26 goal, 38 assist season......as a defenseman.

Drury had 25 goals and 33 assists last year, gomez had 16 & 54.

One is a defenseman, the other 2 are forwards.

Is he worth the contract? Honestly, I have no problems with it. Its not ELITE money like Gomez and Drury are getting. Its very good money. and, imho, hes a very good player.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 01:59 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
the injury is about the only thing stopping me from out and out pushing hard for a trade. i dont have a problem with the contract, or the length. Hes 30, the contract will take him till hes what, 34? Im fine with that, those are usually prime years for defensemen.

I have no problem with Orpik (im luke warm on Commodore) coming here instead. Im just throwing out a different idea though. Since Orpik has been discussed ad nauseum.

RE: Hradek...thats cool. see, i knew i wasnt crazy. for the record though, i dont listen to the radio, or really check out many of the main stream places outside of sam weinmans blog and BB. other than that, i stick to msg boards.
Oh I don't either. I just happened to be listening to ESPN radio one day and EJ Hradek was on. I agree. Even if it's just for the sake of talking about it, it's always interesting to see what options can be discussed. Beats talking about Orpik for the 10th time in 5 days.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Defenseman who will have a higher cap hit than Souray next year (before free agency mind you)

Chara
Lidstrom
Neidermeyer
Boyle
Phaneuf
Pronger
Visnovsky
Schneider
Rafalski
Markov
Hamrlik
Timmonen
Jovanovski
McCabe

You can safely also add Redden and Campbell to that list, and probably Rozsival as well.

how many 7+ million dollar forwards (cap hit) were there when we signed those 2 to that kind of money?

Ill give you the answer in case you dont want to look. 1. Brad Richards.

Remember, Forwards account for roughly 61% of the players in the NHL, whereas defenseman are roughly 30% There are way more forwards, and we took 2 of the 3 biggest cap hits in teh NHL, at that time, on Gomez and Drury. OUCH.

Last edited by Inferno: 05-25-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Defenseman who will have a higher cap hit than Souray next year (before free agency mind you)

Chara
Lidstrom
Neidermeyer
Boyle
Phaneuf
Pronger
Visnovsky
Schneider
Rafalski
Markov
Hamrlik
Timmonen
Jovanovski
McCabe
I'm not sure what the point of that list is, but with the exception of Schneider, all of them are miles above Souray

Souray isn't that physical anymore. He put up great numbers playing in a great situation in Montreal, and the guy that took his cushy position almost doubled his production. oh yeah, and a serious shoulder injury will limit his ability to use the one strength in his game.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:38 AM
chosen

Quote:
Really? I felt we lost because a ridiculously talented team in Pittsburgh out and out humiliated us with a display of skill, speed, aggression, and puck possession that made us look like pee wee players. I dont fault our defense, i credit their team. They beat us because they are better than us. Plain and simple.
Before this you have repeatedly said that Hollweg was the reason the Rangers lost the series.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 08:40 AM
chosen

Quote:
Souray is one injury riddled year away from a 26 goal, 38 assist season......as a defenseman.
When he was minus 28.

On the power play he is an obvious asset. On a regular shift he isn't.

Old
05-25-2008, 01:35 PM
jrd303

Quote:
Remember, Forwards account for roughly 61% of the players in the NHL, whereas defenseman are roughly 30% There are way more forwards, and we took 2 of the 3 biggest cap hits in teh NHL, at that time, on Gomez and Drury. OUCH.
Would it be unfair of me to say then that you would like to fix our issue of overpaying for forwards by overpaying for a defencemen?

What would you be willing to give up to acquire Souray?

I'd rather the Rangers choose the option of patience and give Staal a year to work on his shot. He's still young and has a moderate chance to develop it.

If he can't get it done and the PP is still struggling you'll still have all the opportunity to trade for Souray in a deadline deal without paying him for the whole season or assuming his injury risk because no other team in their right minds would give anything of value to acquire this guy.

Last edited by jrd303: 05-25-2008 at 01:50 PM.
jrd303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Souray was a product of Montreal's excellent puck movement on the power play. He would get open because of the movement and use his hard shot. They replace him with Mark Streit and their PP didn't miss a beat. He wouldn't have room to use his shot with the Rangers PP as it currently is.

This would be a disaster and Montreal was very smart letting him walk.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

He would help us but i rather not trade our youth to get him. Plus he is injury prone.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:03 PM
SouvenirCity

Think about it from the Rangers perspective though. Souray's poor defensive skills do not out trump the fact that he has a monster shot from the point, something we were most definately lacking for the entirety of last season.

If you place Souray with a stay at home defenseman such as Tyutin/Staal, or if Tyutin's gone sign a Commodore/Orpik, then his defensive lackings will not come into play as much. If we were able to come out of the deal without trading any "key" assests, and possibly move Backman's salary to another team, then the $5.0M a year isn't as bad.

I'm not saying Souray is the greatest defenseman in the world, I just stating that he has what we need, he plays the game that we need, and I feel he would thrive on our powerplay

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:31 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I take Souray in a heartbeat. Anyone who doesnt realize he is better than every one of our current defensman is on crack. While I think Staal will be better, come September if we have Souray he's our best Defenseman. Please tell me we aren't all brainwashed into believing Tyutin, Girardi, Backman will ever be more than 3rd-6th D-men.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I take Souray in a heartbeat. Anyone who doesnt realize he is better than every one of our current defensman is on crack. While I think Staal will be better, come September if we have Souray he's our best Defenseman. Please tell me we aren't all brainwashed into believing Tyutin, Girardi, Backman will ever be more than 3rd-6th D-men.
No. Souray is GARBAGE. He has a good slapshot and that's it. He has trouble skating backward, is out of position often and gets dangled on like a pylon. Not to mention his 5.4 mil cap hit till 2012. That doesn't sound to good to me.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Thats not even the issue. The fact is there are much better options available. If you want to trade for a big name d-man, there are better choices than Souray.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Souray isnt even a top 40 dmen hes best at top 80 dman

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 04:27 PM
KRUPPY

how about trading for jovanovski or has anybody been watching red wings i would like to trade for kronvall number 55 this guy can hit. anybody comming over to our blue line he destroys them.orpik is almost invisable in that series but picture it toots and kronvall or orpik and kronvall or toots and orpik anyway which we can get that would be a scary thought.

KRUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUPPY View Post
how about trading for jovanovski or has anybody been watching red wings i would like to trade for kronvall number 55 this guy can hit. anybody comming over to our blue line he destroys them.orpik is almost invisable in that series but picture it toots and kronvall or orpik and kronvall or toots and orpik anyway which we can get that would be a scary thought.

1. its only been one game

2. why trade for a player with the same amount of money when you can just sign em

I understand why you want Kronwall, he is a better player than Orpik, and he Hits Like a truck, I'd rather stay away from Orpik(hes not that good) and get Stuart.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 05:10 PM
KRUPPY

I Just Think Kronvall Will Be Excellent For The Rangers.what Would It Take To Get Him????????????

KRUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 05:15 PM
chosen

Quote:
Anyone who believes that Staal isn't already better than Souray shouldn't be talking about crack usage.

Old
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
GarretJoseph*

I'm sorry but a big NO to this.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 06:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

If we're going to spend big on a defenseman, I'd rather add a defensive defenseman to this team....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 08:09 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Anyone who believes that Staal isn't already better than Souray shouldn't be talking about crack usage.
The sad part is your really serious...
our 20 year old rookie defenseman is not better than Souray just yet...
I cant believe the homerism our boards, it really makes us look bad...

Old
05-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Before this you have repeatedly said that Hollweg was the reason the Rangers lost the series.
I wouldnt say he was the rason, but if I remember correctly NYR came back from like 2 or 3 goals only for Hollweg to take that boarding penalty and Pitts to score on the PP and have the NYR behind.So it cost them the game. He didnt cost the series, but if he wouldnt have taken the penalty who knows what would have happened.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 08:13 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Thats not even the issue. The fact is there are much better options available. If you want to trade for a big name d-man, there are better choices than Souray.
Your absolutely right, i'd rather have, orpik, liles, commodore among others, but this thread asked about Souray, and if we cant get any of the others I'll take Souray, because our defense HAS to be upgraded..our scoring from our defense is pathetic

Old
05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Your absolutely right, i'd rather have, orpik, liles, commodore among others, but this thread asked about Souray, and if we cant get any of the others I'll take Souray, because our defense HAS to be upgraded..our scoring from our defense is pathetic
Just because the thread is about Souray doesn't mean you have to like him.

Theres a dozen other d-men I'd trade for before Souray.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 08:35 PM
habs1988

Habs fan here...

I don't follw much the Rags, but I can tell you that if you need help on your defense, you don't need Souray.

Sure he has a cannon shot, a good presence in the locker room, great ethic, but as for his defensive play, not worth the money.

This year, Gainey let him go, replaced him by Hamrlik. Souray was -26 last season, but with 65 pts. This season, Hamrlik got 25pts but +7 and we were able to see the difference.

Souray will help you offensively only on the PP, but defensively...it's bad. Every player that dekes him look like all-star player, but Souray is as good as a pylon! Go get a guy like Liles or Campbell...much better defensively and good on PP.

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote