HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hornqvist

Old
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Don't you mean finally makes the big squad after spending most of the year in Milwaukee, only to find himself buried on a line with Fiddler and Ortmeyer?
Not a chance (although I know where you are coming from). He is as mature as they get. I honestly think he would have made the squad last year if it had not been pre-determined that he was going back over-seas before camp. He is either on the third line or second line.

05-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Not a chance (although I know where you are coming from). He is as mature as they get. I honestly think he would have made the squad last year if it had not been pre-determined that he was going back over-seas before camp. He is either on the third line or second line.
That would be a ****in' waste for this kid, lets not kid ourselves, Sullivan is NOT coming back

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If you look at the roster as it is right now there are two open sports on the team. One on the second line with Radulov and Legwand and one on the 3/4th line with Nichol and Tootoo. IF the team does sign both Weber and Suter and deals one of the other D-men for picks, placing Hornqvist on the 2nd line and Philstrom on the 3/4th line would be the economical way to go to keep under the cap.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:27 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

The more I think about this, the more I want us to fill from within and not go signing a bunch of free agents. I am beginning to feel like I would rather sink or swim with the guys we drafted than pile a bunch of money into a guy or two this summer who may get injured and leave us to fill with depth anyway. Let's trade a D-man, determine our goalie strategy (Rinne with Mason as backup?) and promote Philstrom and Hornqvist.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:08 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
The more I think about this, the more I want us to fill from within and not go signing a bunch of free agents. I am beginning to feel like I would rather sink or swim with the guys we drafted than pile a bunch of money into a guy or two this summer who may get injured and leave us to fill with depth anyway. Let's trade a D-man, determine our goalie strategy (Rinne with Mason as backup?) and promote Philstrom and Hornqvist.
I've been wondering if we could do this as well. Maybe still trying to get a young forward with years under contract in trade to straighten out our defensive logjam would give us some depth rather than just skimming through. I have a feeling this is the way Poile would like to go since he has been "building through the draft" for years now and we are finally starting to see some of these players come into their own.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I've been wondering if we could do this as well. Maybe still trying to get a young forward with years under contract in trade to straighten out our defensive logjam would give us some depth rather than just skimming through. I have a feeling this is the way Poile would like to go since he has been "building through the draft" for years now and we are finally starting to see some of these players come into their own.
The only young forwards who have heard who might be on the trading block are Erik Cole and RJ Umburger. I think they are SLIGHTLY overrated but if you got a defenseman to can use as trade bait why not?

Old
05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
The way I currently see our top three lines is:

Dumont - Arnott - Radulov
Hornqvist - Legwand - Erat
Pihlstrom - Nichol - Tootoo

I like it. Build from within. Two scoring lines and an energy line that can pop in another. Our four lines this season should really contain three scoring lines (with at least one resembling a checking unit) and an energy line just like we had two seasons ago. Our core is here, we have some players beginning to come through the pipeline as well. We are not that far away from the team we had two seasons ago, but the key will be finding consistency from game to game.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:19 PM
lugnut76

As a fan, I have always preferred to see players be brought up from within as opposed to relying on free agents. I know Freeman has committed more money to the team this year but I'm not sure it makes sense to try to make significant improvements to this team via free agency. I'm not sure the Predators will ever be able to be a big player in free agency.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:24 PM
echlfreak

How does adding 2 rookies to the line-up bring you any more depth or stability than last season??? This team needs 2-3 top six forwards either via trade or UFA. Hornqvist and Philstrom look promising, but they should not be the solution. They need to be brought in slowly and not with the pressure of being offensive leaders. You add affordable veteran scorers like a Jason Williams or V. Prospal etc... and add a little more skill to your 3rd line with players like Hornqvist or Philstrom. But before the season begins they have to decide if the 3rd line will be a scoring line or a checking line, because mixing Nichol-type players with Hornqvist type players will not work.

If you don't add the scoring depth, then this team is no different than last season...an 8th place battling type team that has no real scoring depth past the 1st line

Dumont-Arnott- Blank
Erat-Legwand- Radulov
Hornqvist-Blank-Blank
then pick from your 15 3rd/4th line players

this team got killed any time they lost top six forwards because adding a tootoo or a fiddler doesn't work...skill needs to play with skill and grit with grit

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:35 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
How does adding 2 rookies to the line-up bring you any more depth or stability than last season??? This team needs 2-3 top six forwards either via trade or UFA. Hornqvist and Philstrom look promising, but they should not be the solution. They need to be brought in slowly and not with the pressure of being offensive leaders. You add affordable veteran scorers like a Jason Williams or V. Prospal etc... and add a little more skill to your 3rd line with players like Hornqvist or Philstrom. But before the season begins they have to decide if the 3rd line will be a scoring line or a checking line, because mixing Nichol-type players with Hornqvist type players will not work.

If you don't add the scoring depth, then this team is no different than last season...an 8th place battling type team that has no real scoring depth past the 1st line

Dumont-Arnott- Blank
Erat-Legwand- Radulov
Hornqvist-Blank-Blank
then pick from your 15 3rd/4th line players

this team got killed any time they lost top six forwards because adding a tootoo or a fiddler doesn't work...skill needs to play with skill and grit with grit
As nice as it would be no trade is going to trade a top 6 forward to the Preds unless they offer Weber which is NOT going to happen. Who is willing to let go of a top six forward for Suter?

Old
05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
As nice as it would be no trade is going to trade a top 6 forward to the Preds unless they offer Weber which is NOT going to happen. Who is willing to let go of a top six forward for Suter?

I bet alot of teams would. It would a 2nd line guy most likely but Suter could easily bring back a young top 6 guy. ( Carter, Cammalaeria (SP?)

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I bet alot of teams would. It would a 2nd line guy most likely but Suter could easily bring back a young top 6 guy. ( Carter, Cammalaeria (SP?)
you can just call him squid, and I don't believe that Cammalerri is a top 6 guy and certainly not someone I would trade Suter for ... Carter is the only player in his age range that I would trade Suter for

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 05-15-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:26 AM
echlfreak

Cammalleri is for sure a top line forward let alone top six...he had 19 goals in 67 games last year...34 goals the year before...80 points a year ago

If we could get him it would turn the offense and the PP around completely

Old
05-16-2008, 12:36 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
you can just call him squid, and I don't believe that Cammalerri is a top 6 guy and certainly not someone I would trade Suter for ... Carter is the only player in his age range that I would trade Suter for

What? cammalerri is one of those players that is either a top six forward or he isnt in the NHL. I know kings fans are down on him but he a very talented goal scorer. I would take a young forward with his upside any day of the week. Now I dont think he would turn our Offense around like echlfreak does but he would be a HUGE upgrade on Hllavac, Fiddler etc.

EDIT: Looking at his contract he has only one more year till hes a UFA. UGHH. Which then I'm sure he would want a erat like or even better contract. In light of the new info def pass on cammy

Last edited by predfan24: 05-16-2008 at 12:43 AM.
predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Suter is a top 3 defenseman, and he is what 22? 23? I think he would DEFINITELY bring in a top 6 forward.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:38 PM
braindead

If this thread were about Hornqvist, I'd point out that his current stats heading into the bronze medal game are:

8 gp, 6g-0a, 34 shots, 1 GWG, 3 PPG, 1 SHG

A guy that doesn't pass, scores power play goals, leads all participating Preds. Hmmm....if only he played LW and we had a spot open in our top 6 on a line with two guys like Legwand and Erat that pass too much...

WAIT A SECOND...

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Kiefer

I hope for your sake that you will sign him. He is/was on my "most hated" teams in SEL, but he is a really great player.

Hopefully he will get a chance to prove that.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:48 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
I hope for your sake that you will sign him. He is/was on my "most hated" teams in SEL, but he is a really great player.

Hopefully he will get a chance to prove that.
He signed a three-year entry level contract last season with the Predators. He will be in Nashville next season barring anything unforseen.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
if only he played LW
He's plays well at any forward position but looks best on the right wing. Center would be his second best..

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 04:56 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
He's plays well at any forward position but looks best on the right wing. Center would be his second best..

He and Erat can play rock-paper-scissors to see who gets the right side then.

Or as Trotz said in reference to Ellis getting an IV between periods (when Ellis said he preferred not to do it): Don't worry, he will do what's best for the team.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 05:01 PM
echlfreak

Turco and Giguere get IV's too, it happens in these hotter climates. Especially when you are facing 35+ shots a game...or in the playoffs 40+ as Ellis was facing

2 top six forwards, an adjustment with the d and this team is right in the thick of things. But, when we lost a top six fwd we were in trouble

Old
05-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Pihlström>>>>>>>>>>Hörnqvist

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 05:55 PM
JussiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
****in' A!

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:54 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Riiiiiight.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:39 PM
JussiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Riiiiiight.
Well he certainly was in that game against Sweden.

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote